Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: PROFOUND PROFUNDITY  (Read 43963 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:PROFOUND PROFUNDITY
« Reply #360 on: January 14, 2004, 08:15:15 PM »

Jeans and a blue sweater but I’m about to change into my p.j.’s and watch T.V. with Keith, Echo and Bogie.

I will post the enchilada recipe tomorrow.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #361 on: January 14, 2004, 08:25:10 PM »

Keith just traced my family tree back to my 20th great grandfather who was born around 1135.   :o

But was he Jewish?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #362 on: January 14, 2004, 08:29:19 PM »

Can some Californian H/K give me a definitive answer on the following question.  After having renewed my license by mail the last two times, I must now make an appearance in person at the DMV.  The renewal notice says:  During your visit at theDMV, you are required to: 1) pay a renewal fee of $24 dollars 2) take a vision test 3) have your thumb print and photo taken.

It says nothing about taking any abbreviated written test.  Seems the last time I was down there, it was merely a vision test and photo, but I can't remember.  

So...the question is:  Should I be boning up on the California Drivers Handbook in anticipation of having to answer some multiple choice or should I just take this notice at face value and expect no surprises?

The DMV is pretty specific about what is expected of its clients (oh, if they only thought of us as clients), so I dare say that you should expect only the items enumerated in your epistle from the agency.  Judging by the lines that I see emanating from the DMV office near my home, however, may I suggest you bring ample reading material with you on the day of your appointment.  And water.  And provisions.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:37:57 PM by Jay »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #363 on: January 14, 2004, 08:31:29 PM »

Some people listen to music when they get home from work.  Others watch tv.  Some might read.

And then there are those who embark on tracing the Medieval ancestral roots of their spouses.

The question remains - who is having the most fun? ;)

I wouldn't mind tracing my spouse's ancestral root, if I had a spouse.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #364 on: January 14, 2004, 08:34:32 PM »

I wouldn't mind tracing my spouse's ancestral root, if I had a spouse.

no spouse, but TCB has had more than his fair share of proposals. :)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

« Reply #365 on: January 14, 2004, 08:35:26 PM »

While we're on this topic... anyone want to translate "bubala"? My google searches aren't coming up with anything.

CYGOPP (the bf) likes to pretend I'm jewish for the sake of his mother. I'm sure the rabbis would love that  ;)

Bubala, bubaleh, sometimes bubbie (diminuitive)=Sweetheart, darling; an endearment often used for children and also adults

With children, a frequently used synonym is totte shaineh, which literally means "pretty face."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #366 on: January 14, 2004, 08:38:11 PM »

Re the big grass debate - I wasn't referring to grass in general. Eating plants or dirt in certain polluted areas (in Colorado, anyway) can make pets sick.
DR Pogue - I agree with DR Jay - if you needed to take a test, they would let you know. I just went through the DMV experience a few weeks ago to get my CA License. Because I had an appointment the wait wasn't too terribly bad. It was crowded, yes, that it was.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #367 on: January 14, 2004, 08:39:15 PM »

Well, I've never lived in California, but I've never heard of anyone being asked to take the written test again after once passing it.

In NC, we have to take a vision test and a sign test every time we renew, but not the written test. I think I have to renew this year, come to think of it.  :(
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

« Reply #368 on: January 14, 2004, 08:41:40 PM »

Mystery solved.  Not being able to remember the name of that revival movie house in New York with the AB, BC, CD... programming was driving me crazy, so I polled my New York friends and one of them came through:

It was the Regency, but not as far north as you remember, it was at 68th just two blocks north of Lincoln Center. They replaced it with an apartment building in the late 80s with a noodle restaurant at street level. The guys in charge of the programming tried to continue it at a couple of other locations, W. 57th, E. 23rd, and never succeeded.

Video killed them all -- the Carnegie (now the new Zankel Hall, I haven't been there yet), the Bleecker, the Theatre 80 St. Marks (now the Pearl Repertory Theater, haven't been there either). I get to the Film Forum every once in a while, but it's tiny.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:42:47 PM by Jay »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #369 on: January 14, 2004, 08:43:16 PM »

Hey where did everybody go?

Where is Laura II to talk about The Bachelorette with?

Btw, I was jumping up and down cause the guy from Montreal (I won't give his name in case anyone is still watching) made it to the next round. Yeah!

And not giving his name we will never guess because... why?  All 25 guys are from Montreal?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:46:01 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

« Reply #370 on: January 14, 2004, 08:46:59 PM »

Well, I've never lived in California, but I've never heard of anyone being asked to take the written test again after once passing it.
After a certain age you do (in CA, anyway). The mother of a friend of mine just failed her written test - after 40 years of driving with not even a ticket. She's now totally traumatized about taking it again. If you fail twice (I think it's twice, maybe it's 3 times) you then have to take the driving portion as well.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #371 on: January 14, 2004, 08:47:00 PM »

no spouse, but TCB has had more than his fair share of proposals. :)

Not in this century.
“One thing’s universal,

Jay

« Reply #372 on: January 14, 2004, 08:47:02 PM »

I am watching/listening to young violinist Joshua Bell and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra on "Live From Lincoln Center," only it's on tape delay here on the west coast.  The program is primarily short pieces by the likes of Kreisler, Dvorak, Bach, Gershwin etc.  The concert is being held in what they call "The Penthouse" at Lincoln Center, the mood is fairly casual, and Mr. Bell addresses the live and TV audience between pieces.

Mr. Bell comes across as a very unassuming, charming boy next door type.  Must be all that solid Indiana upbringing.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 09:15:30 PM by Jay »

Matt H.

« Reply #373 on: January 14, 2004, 08:47:07 PM »

I have spent another day cleaning roof and gutters. Yesterday, I just did the gutters in front of the house. Today, I climbed on the roof and took most of the afternoon getting it cleared. There is still some more to do! I think I've gotten to the age where I just don't want to do this any more. I think my body tomorrow morning will be telling me a similar story. I felt some soreness creeping into the deltoids and gluts tonight as I was watching IT'S ALL RELATIVE (one of the btter episodes of the series tonight, BTW).

I was also delighted that our local UPN affiliate has finally converted to high definition, so I was able to watch ENTERPRISE for the first time tonight in high definition. (Well, the first 30 minutes. I'll see the remainder tomorrow.) We now have all network affiliates in Charlotte converted to high definition network broadcasts. I'll be interested to see when they start doing local news and local shows in the process.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #374 on: January 14, 2004, 08:47:09 PM »

td, have I ever mentioned that you have a strange resemblance to Flanders on The Simpsons? I hadn't ever noticed until tonight...

I sort of wish the entire karma shpiel would be taken away. If we have it, then people who lose karma will be upset. If we only have the "applaud" button, those who don't have as much karma will be upset. We'd be better without it.
...Walk in the sunshine...

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #375 on: January 14, 2004, 08:49:47 PM »

And Jennifer, you DO know that throughout the entire show, the place the men come from is showed along with their name? So unless there's more than one man from Montreal, it's kind of obvious who you're talking about...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #376 on: January 14, 2004, 08:56:34 PM »

td, have I ever mentioned that you have a strange resemblance to Flanders on The Simpsons? I hadn't ever noticed until tonight...

I sort of wish the entire karma shpiel would be taken away. If we have it, then people who lose karma will be upset. If we only have the "applaud" button, those who don't have as much karma will be upset. We'd be better without it.

Uhm, Swish, you do realize that td's picture is of an animal?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:57:33 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Jason

« Reply #377 on: January 14, 2004, 08:57:26 PM »

Joshua Bell is not only from Indiana, he is also the boyfriend of Ms. Kristi "Glinda" Chenoweth. They make a cute couple...

The Penthouse at Lincoln Center, assuming it's the Kaplan Penthouse, is actually down the street from Julliard. That is where the MERRILY reunion cast party was held. It was a swellegant evening, and a very nice space for a party...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:58:29 PM by Jason »

Michael

« Reply #378 on: January 14, 2004, 08:57:27 PM »

Keith just traced my family tree back to my 20th great grandfather who was born around 1135.   :o

I was born around 230. My mother had a Jewish birth. The one where they knock you out and wake you when the hairdresser arrives.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #379 on: January 14, 2004, 08:58:34 PM »

I meant to mention that the Mars picture shown either today or yesterday with Marty the Martian peeking into the camera was hysterical.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #380 on: January 14, 2004, 08:59:03 PM »

Har dee har har, you are too clever, TCB.

:)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #381 on: January 14, 2004, 08:59:07 PM »

Hello, fellow dear readers. That's about all I have to say. Today I wore jeans and a t-shirt. The temp was in the 70s.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

« Reply #382 on: January 14, 2004, 08:59:23 PM »

While I was having lunch today I parked in the underground parking structure of the small upscale complex where the restaurant was located. When I went to get my car after lunch I noticed a group of loud, rather obnoxious 19 to 20 year old kids waiting for the valet service. Their cars arrived. Each one got into a HUGE SUV. Three kids, three SUV's. Why??? Why does a kid need a gas guzzling, environment polluting SUV? Why does anybody - unless they have a huge family or a business that requires a large vehicle. And why do mommy and daddy buy these cars for the kids? Because they sure didn't pay for those little puppies themselves. End of rant.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #383 on: January 14, 2004, 09:00:30 PM »

Why, thank you, my dear!
“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #384 on: January 14, 2004, 09:02:15 PM »

Uhm, Swish, you do realize that td's picture is of an animal?

Poor Swish!  

I'm sitting here roaring with laughter; and then TCB makes me laugh even harder!

BTW, TCB - - I am an animal.  
Consider that your first proposal (decent or in-) of this century.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

« Reply #385 on: January 14, 2004, 09:05:39 PM »

While I was having lunch today I parked in the underground parking structure of the small upscale complex where the restaurant was located. When I went to get my car after lunch I noticed a group of loud, rather obnoxious 19 to 20 year old kids waiting for the valet service. Their cars arrived. Each one got into a HUGE SUV. Three kids, three SUV's. Why??? Why does a kid need a gas guzzling, environment polluting SUV? Why does anybody - unless they have a huge family or a business that requires a large vehicle. And why do mommy and daddy buy these cars for the kids? Because they sure didn't pay for those little puppies themselves. End of rant.

Because going to war in the Middle East to protect appropriate oil interests there is more popular and easier than instituting conservation measures in the U.S.  I am also convinced that SUVs (other than for the legitimate users you've enumerated) serve as a proxy for a certain male appendage, as in "my SUV's bigger than your SUV."

Jay

« Reply #386 on: January 14, 2004, 09:07:26 PM »

My apologies.  I should have led off the preceding with "Don't get me started," which, of course, means "Here I go."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #387 on: January 14, 2004, 09:08:38 PM »

Goodnight all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #388 on: January 14, 2004, 09:14:02 PM »

I do believe we're havin' a posting frenzy.  I'm dealing with the karma issue - again, the REAL point is why anyone HERE would WANT to take karma from anyone.  But in the scheme of things, who cares?  If it's removable I may go that route, if not, well, I'd just think before booing anyone.  Use your best judgment however.  

Pogue: Let me be more definitive - you probably won't have to take the written test, unless, that is, you do.

I've been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm season one.  How many seasons have there been so far?

Matt H.

« Reply #389 on: January 14, 2004, 09:18:08 PM »

I think it's just started its fourth season, bk.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up