Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: DAINTY JUNE  (Read 45780 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:DAINTY JUNE
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2006, 02:51:30 PM »

Off to clean the bedroom now and then settle in for some comedy and drama tonight.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2006, 02:52:29 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Seven Dance!!![/move]
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #182 on: June 01, 2006, 02:56:04 PM »

According to an article on Playbill.com:

Les Miz Tour Plays Performance No. 7,000 June 1 in Seattle

"The national tour of Les Miserables will play its 7,000th performance on June 1 during its Seattle engagement at the 5th Avenue Theatre."

And then it goes on to say:

"Producer Cameron Mackintosh announced on Feb. 17, 2006 this national touring production will end its 18-year record-setting run on July 23, 2006 in St. Louis, MO having played 151 cities for 521 engagements. (For those keeping score, there have been cast changes and hiatuses along the way.)"

I'm not going to see this...I've already seen the show twice in Seattle.  Both shows were very good, but twice is enough for me. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »

My workday draws to a close.  It's been a delightful one, catching up on professional reading.  I've especially enjoyed about 7 issues of Publishers Weekly, with lots of book and author news.

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2006, 03:03:14 PM »

Regarding my murdered co-worker:  This has been extremely tough on my sister who had worked closely with him for the past 20 years.  He was a very sweet and very kind man.  

They have already arrested a suspect in the murder.  Morris had spent the last several years working as a counselor for prison inmates about to be paroled.  It is too early to tell if the suspect was one of the men he had been counseling.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 03:05:27 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

FJL

« Reply #185 on: June 01, 2006, 03:03:36 PM »

Word has it that Ben Brantley (among other critics) was in the audience at MAME in D.C. last night.  I think the "official" opening is tonight.

FJL

« Reply #186 on: June 01, 2006, 03:05:26 PM »

Sorry, TCB, I didn't mean to follow your serious post with such a relatively frivolous matter - it just timed that way.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #187 on: June 01, 2006, 03:07:50 PM »

Sorry, TCB, I didn't mean to follow your serious post with such a relatively frivolous matter - it just timed that way.

No, no, Fred, don't worry about it.  It is quite possible that the MAME production may get killed, as well.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2006, 03:20:14 PM »

There's this article on Playbill.com:  Side Show's Ripley and Skinner to Reunite for Second Annual Broadway Cabaret Festival

Too bad BK can't record the show for old times sake...or can he?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #189 on: June 01, 2006, 03:33:44 PM »

There are two things I dislike.  First, the slo-o-o-o-w tempos.  Some parts--some entire songs--drag on like dirges.  No wonder this recording went to two discs.

I also don't care for Daniel Evans as Act One George.  He has a Scottish accent which get muddied up throughout (especially during the part with the two dogs.)  He has a beautiful voice and I think he's fine as Act Two George, but I don't think he carries off Seurat at all.  (Is Act One George ever referred to as Seurat?  Hmmmm...)

Otherwise, I love Jenna Russell as Dot/Marie.  Not as good of a singer as BP, but she acts the roles much better.

I also like the new orchestrations.  In fact, I like how this entire recording sounds.  I don't know what the technical term is, but it's the "warmest" cast recording I've heard in years.   There's a robust, full-bodied sound overall.

And it's a treat to have the entire score included, though I wish not as much of the spoken dialogue was present (a wish I have for all cast recordings in general.)

Actually, the tempos don't bother me too much.  To me, there is so much variation in theater music and subsequent recordings that I've gotten used to that kind of change.  

Georges in the first act didn't seem to be as obsessive as I though he should sound (well, from what I could hear from the recording).  Of course, I could just be too used to Mandy's version. ::) I enjoyed Dot/Marie, also.

I like the fact that the orchestrations are different...at all.  I have a studio cast recording of A Little Night Music with Sian Phillips as Desiree (who went on to play Madame Armfelt with Judi Dench as Desiree) that has a string quintet (I think) as the orchestra and it's beautiful.

I also love the fact that so much of the music is included, but I like all the dialogue.  I like getting a sense of the show, not just the songs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: June 01, 2006, 04:37:04 PM »

All right, Mr. Mark Bakalor has been working on the discussion board to try and fix our problems once and for all.  You will notice on our home page that there is a new section of archives - that is where you will find all our oldest postings, starting back in October of 2003 when the board began.

Cillaliz

« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2006, 04:38:29 PM »

I got on with no problem

Cillaliz

« Reply #192 on: June 01, 2006, 04:38:53 PM »

And that posted quite quickly

François de Paris

« Reply #193 on: June 01, 2006, 04:40:51 PM »

Tom is keeping the calendar companies in Australia in business.

Yes, you're right! ;) He must have gotten a bulk rate or something!

But I guess I got a calendar that was not for me because mine, for the month of June, has a picture of a naked girl that says "Our June Girl, Dorothy from Oz" with a little black dog positioned in the "right" place!

Do you think Tom was making fun of me?! :D ;D ;D (Or Dorothy, or... the dog?! :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 05:11:49 PM by François »

Cillaliz

« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2006, 04:42:06 PM »

Hello Francois!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 04:42:34 PM by Cillaliz »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2006, 04:59:18 PM »

Well, hopefully all our problems have finally been solved - of course, there's no one here to post now!

Cillaliz

« Reply #196 on: June 01, 2006, 05:07:16 PM »

Has anyone seen ART SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL?  I'm thinking about going to a matinee tomorrow

Cillaliz

« Reply #197 on: June 01, 2006, 05:08:30 PM »

How about THREE BURIALS OR MELAQUIADES ESTRADA?  I'm thinking about that for Saturday

Cillaliz

« Reply #198 on: June 01, 2006, 05:09:48 PM »

Is anyone else going to watch the National Spelling Bee?   I love to watch this stuff. Ever since the documentary SPELLBOUND I have a whole different outlook on it

François de Paris

« Reply #199 on: June 01, 2006, 05:09:48 PM »

Hello Francois!

Hello Cill!

I'm sure you've enjoyed the pics of kittens DR Ron has posted lately!

He had promised (me) some pics of his beloved late Miss Vicky not long ago.... and I'm still waiting!

Some men are full of promises, you know, and you're certainly not the person to disagree about the fact that they don't keep them at all!!

Promises, promises!
They could even write a musical about that! ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #200 on: June 01, 2006, 05:10:42 PM »

Well Francois, I'm all through with Promises Promises now!

Cillaliz

« Reply #201 on: June 01, 2006, 05:13:26 PM »

Yes, I love all kitty photos.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #202 on: June 01, 2006, 05:14:08 PM »

TCB - How horrible!

DR Elmore - My thoughts are with you.

I think the ghost of Alfred Hitchcock is shooting on my street. There are dozens of crows flying around above the street, making a very loud racket.

They're probably hawking THE OMEN remake.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #203 on: June 01, 2006, 05:16:06 PM »

LOL, this play by play on the spelling bee is pretty funny.  The first guy had a whole profile etc.  He got the word right, but why didn't the second speller get a profile? She's the 2 time Canadian champion and  no profile?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #204 on: June 01, 2006, 05:16:43 PM »

Shocking news DR TCB!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2006, 05:17:42 PM »

I am watching the Spelling Bee, but these kids are beyond NERDS....asking all of these questions.....

Nauruz....somebody just got dinged.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #206 on: June 01, 2006, 05:18:14 PM »

LOL, this play by play on the spelling bee is pretty funny.  The first guy had a whole profile etc.  He got the word right, but why didn't the second speller get a profile? She's the 2 time Canadian champion and  no profile?

Eh?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #207 on: June 01, 2006, 05:18:49 PM »

Do they even listen to the answers to their questions or are they spelling it in their heads?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #208 on: June 01, 2006, 05:19:28 PM »

I don't think ABC counted on 12 kids asking 10 questions on each word given....2 hours.....not on your life!

Cillaliz

« Reply #209 on: June 01, 2006, 05:20:37 PM »

Hey BK! This would be a great place to get words of the day....Nauruz, Mandilion, Gematrial
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up