Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS  (Read 31282 times)

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
Re:THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2006, 05:23:56 PM »

Good afternoon Esteemed, cramped, rehearsed, well-fed, and sitzprobed BK --

I'm glad your trip back went fairly smoothly, and unfortunately I'm not too surprised by the size of your hotel room.  I've had some real disappointments and challenges with NYC hotels.  But then, I try to be in them as little as possible.

If you can, have a shrimp cocktail shrimp for me at Joe Allen's.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2006, 05:24:36 PM »

OH, I don't believe it... I acutally got to start a new page!

LIFE IS GOOD !

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2006, 05:36:51 PM »

Jane - I can see the new head of the household in those pics! He's one cute pup. Has he barked yet?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 05:37:30 PM by Maria »

Ginny

« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2006, 05:47:36 PM »

DR Jane - Sherlock is a very cute puppy!  I'm glad your trip to get him went smoothly.  You'll be glad to be home with him during these early days.  Even though we'll miss you in NY, I know you made the right decision.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2006, 05:51:37 PM »

DR Edisaurus - congratulations on your new status!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2006, 06:11:38 PM »

Back from rehearsal, which was fun but way too exhausting even though all we did was sing.  When you haven't done this regularly for twenty-one years (singing over and over and over and over) it's really wearying on Ye Olde Vocal Chords, which are now, of course, shot.  I think I'll get stronger as the week goes on - it's basically like exercising a long-dormant muscle.  

A Long-Dormant Muscle - that's the title of my next novel - and a sizzler it is, too.

I'm resting my voice now and then will be on my way to Joe Allen for a large and tasty supper.  And I don't have to be at rehearsal till 5.:30 tomorrow, and I assume we won't be running things over and over and over and over, vocally.  I like the cast very much - especially Maureen Silliman who was kind enough to say that she liked the way I was singing the role - kind because her husband normally plays the role I'm doing.  Very sweet.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2006, 06:26:06 PM »

It's only been four and a half years since I've performed in public at all and I'm now off to my first rehearsal!  BK, I'm glad yours went so well.  We'll see how mine goes!

Later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2006, 06:26:26 PM »

it's really wearying on Ye Olde Vocal Chords, which are now, of course, shot.

Go, Bruce!

Time for more Diet Snapple®!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2006, 06:48:49 PM »

This morning I went for a walk and this is what I saw:

Pretty... Love dragonflies DR Laura!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2006, 06:51:49 PM »

In the September, 2006, issue of Choice:  Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, there's a bibliographic essay entitled "Film Music:  Interdisciplinary Scholarship, Analysis, Criticism, and Theory," by Melissa Goldsmith of Louisiana State University.  I'd post a link, but it's not available electronically.  Any DR who'd like a copy, please PM me and I'll photocopy it for you.

I would like a copy. We dont have that in our E-Journals....

I am working on a research paper for my history seminar class. I am researching the historical attitudes and mindsets of people after the implementation of IDEA in the school systems.

Rather interesting some of the attitudes I have read. I will compare it with todays mindset and see how it has changed and what needs to be done.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2006, 06:53:22 PM »

That once in a million shot:

der Brucer

Stunning photograph!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2006, 07:02:04 PM »

Adoption Day!!

Jane, You and Keith look great and Sherlock is every bit the distinguished gent in your arms...

I send continued good vibes in training!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2006, 07:04:51 PM »

(Wondering whether DR's Derbrucer or Elmore will be the first to make a comment about a "full member")

I leave such rude thoughts to our DR TCB!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #223 on: September 25, 2006, 07:06:35 PM »

Thank you DR Laura--here's one more that is now the desktop wallpaper on our main computer.

What a sweet picture of Keith and Sherlock!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2006, 07:32:02 PM »

Sherlock is beautiful!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #225 on: September 25, 2006, 07:32:34 PM »

Ain't nothing better than a fluffy little Bernese! Congratulations!

Nothing!!! :D

Jane

« Reply #226 on: September 25, 2006, 07:35:33 PM »

Maria, yes he has barked and it’s sooo cute.  

You were very lucky to only have one accident with Abie.  We are being diligent but when the puppy has run under the dinning room table with his new toy it is very difficult to grab him in time to prevent an accident on the rug. ;D

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #227 on: September 25, 2006, 07:35:39 PM »

Tonight I watched The Class and Heroes.  Heroes is definitely a keeper.  I'll give The Class one more try, but I don't think it's going to catch.  Last night I half watched Brothers and Sisters in the background while on the phone with my mom.  I'll give it another try too, but I'm not sure.  Last week I tried to watch 6 Degrees but I couldn't get more than 10 minutes in without changing the channel.  Heroes is definitely my fave new show so far.  I'm also looking forward to checking out The Nine.  And that is my tv report.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #228 on: September 25, 2006, 07:41:16 PM »

TOD: Dreamgirls, Running With Scissors, Jesus Camp, A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, Sherrybaby, Shortbus, The Prestige, Babel, Marie Antoinette, Stranger Than Fiction

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #229 on: September 25, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »

And now I have to try to get some sleep.  I've been feeling exhausted lately- I think it will take me a bit longer to adjust to the new schedule.

Jane

« Reply #230 on: September 25, 2006, 07:43:31 PM »

Thank you Ginny, DakotaCelt and TPunk.  

I’m very lucky Keith needed a puppy so much or we wouldn’t have Sherlock.  He never asked me to get one but how could I not when he ached so for a dog.  Now I’m so excited I’m like a kid in a candy store, or a puppy in a house filled with toys and love.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #231 on: September 25, 2006, 07:49:58 PM »

Just checking a few more of the UPCOMING film release sites and find that John Curran has directed a new version of THE PAINTED VEIL with Naomi Watts and Edward Norton as the married couple and Liev Schreiber as the Other Man.

I will add that one to my list of "will see at the movies."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #232 on: September 25, 2006, 07:50:24 PM »

Sherlock is a cutie!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #233 on: September 25, 2006, 07:58:10 PM »

I was intruiged by a film on DR TPUNK's list, until I checked its pedigree on IMDB.

I do not think I am interested in seeing Marie Antoinette directed by Sofia Coppola and featuring Kirsten Dunst and Jason Schwartzman (Sofia's cousin) as Marie and Louis.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #234 on: September 25, 2006, 07:59:14 PM »

Any of the NYC Equity members remember working with Schorling Schneider?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #235 on: September 25, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »

Only one hour left until the new notes!

DR CP - MR BK is on the same time as we are now!

Cillaliz

« Reply #236 on: September 25, 2006, 08:15:12 PM »

Ok, so I went to the audition and it went fine as far as I'm concerned and they want me to go back tomorrow and sing again. BUT--- I'm having some real problems with the way they want to do it.  They are putting together a Broadway Revue and writing it themselves.  The soloists pick their own songs...then, the director sends the sheet music to someone she knows online who prepares a canned background, she describes it as Karaoke.   So, it boils down to a Karaoke show without paying any licensing etc. Taking aside not paying fees, there are tons of musicians in this town and no reason they couldn't put together a combo to play. I just HATE the idea of a canned karaoke show.  

I realize they are a small new company, and don't have funds, but this just doesn't sit well with me.  Am I wrong to have this bother me?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 08:17:07 PM by Cillaliz »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2006, 08:26:20 PM »

Quick, Watson, the doggie biscuit!

Had a large and lovely supper at my beloved Joe's.  Bacon cheeseburger, small caesar, and a shrimp cocktail to start - NO DESSERT!

I walked a LOT today, so I'm hoping I'm fine.  

Here is a big surprise for you: The Ovation Awards nominations, which are chosen by a bunch of know-nothing LA critics and out-of-work actors who get to see shows for free, have come out.  And how predictable they are.  The Wild Party - many nominations.  It Came From Beyond, a sci-fi musical spoof which magically appeared about a year after I talked about The Brain back in 2001 - many nominations for a show I was told by several was almost without merit.  Lizard - another musical by the team who gave us Dorian and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - those two shows also had multiple nominations despite their, shall we say, having lacked a certain something.  Of course, many for Curtains, many for The Drowsy Chaperone, and some odder than odd one-offs.  Of course, the univerally loathed (by the LA critics) but audience approved Deceit received 0 nominations, despite the wonderful performance of Matt Ashford.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2006, 08:26:30 PM »

Quote from: DERBRUCER on Today at 01:49:54pm In other words, one leg is a few inches longer than the others?

Definitely a problem with inches.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2006, 08:28:20 PM »

As humble as Bk seems to be trying to be, our director felt compelled to praise his voice highly after hearing his rendition of the opening number, which BK leads.  

Bk still has it, and the people who will see his performance as our tour guide through the story are in for a real treat.

PRAISING HIS PHRASING - That's the most appropriate title of Skip's assessment about Bruce's rendition of the numbers he leads, loving the naturalness and simplicity.  

And I'm loving what he's bringing to the dialogue. Also, in a part with several monologues,  his skills as a raconteur really come through.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up