Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: PROMISHES, PROMISHES  (Read 37958 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:PROMISHES, PROMISHES
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2006, 10:14:22 AM »

The first year of the project

Gee, that sounds like the documentary world!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ben

« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2006, 10:15:56 AM »

Larry and Fred are seeing Mary Poppins tonight and I'm seeing Heartbreak House, though I'm in the old fogey crowd. I'm seeing the 7pm show.

I'm seeing The Little Dog Laughed on November 17th. I saw a reading of part of the show a couple of years ago in a reading done down at Pace University. I loved it then and from what I've heard it's still very good. I'm a BIG fan of Julie White, ever since I saw her on Grace Under Fire and then the early episodes of Six Feet Under as the evil owner of the funeral home chain.

Ben

« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2006, 10:16:41 AM »

Antonia, Ant will be very happy to hear about the craft success.

Ben

« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2006, 10:18:07 AM »

Toys in Babeland is a "women-owned sex toy boutique" in case you're wondering.

Ben

« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2006, 10:18:32 AM »

I've scared almost everyone away except for Dear Edi

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2006, 10:25:31 AM »

elmore, do your vocal arrangements - we only added a couple of things, and not to songs we discussed.

He should still get to me what's happening as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2006, 11:12:20 AM »

well, that perks me right up after working for five years on a family musical involving child abuse, demonic possession, and a savage killing!

"Lizzie Borden - the Musical" -  staring Sally Mayes

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2006, 11:13:19 AM »

"Lizzie Borden - the Musical" -  staring Sally Mayes

der Brucer

In my musical, Ms Mayes plays the mother.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2006, 11:14:24 AM »

I'm looking forward to tonight's LOST.  They have been showing previews for the next 3 episodes. Apparently something shocking will be revealed.

I"m guessing these are the last 3 episodes before hiatus?

I guess i will have to tape THE NINE tonight, since the Canadian channel that shows it on tuesdays just decided not to show it last night.

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2006, 11:19:25 AM »

I don't really have a problem with AMERICAN IDOL winners in the same way i'm annoyed by DANCING WITH THE STARS this year.

AI contestants are unknowns. At least viewers are making their own opinions.  But For DWTS, it's not really based on dancing to a certain degree.  Certain performers have fans that will vote for them no matter what.

Although i will say that i thought the first winners of DANCING WITH THE STARS were deserving.  Kelly Monaco was my favorite.  And I really liked Drew Lachey (although lisa rinna was my favorite, i thought drew was better).

I have a feeling this year will come down to emmitt vs mario. They are the two most popular. I think it will just depend on where the non-emmitt votes go (i suspect many will go to mario).

Although this year the judges votes really count for very little. So it won't really matter if they think mario is better.

At least last year because drew placed first (out of 3) among the judges, there was no way he could have lost after stacey was eliminated first (since last year they were ranked 1 thru 3 for both judges and audience).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2006, 11:40:21 AM »

Ben, please let Ant know that I showed one of my kids the toilet paper roll craft book yesterday and he loved it- and this is my picky kid who can never decide on what he wants to do.  He is really excited about decorating a wrapping paper sized roll to make it into a walking stick.  Thanks Ant!!

Here's another fun "craft" book from AMAZON

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2006, 11:45:10 AM »

How come it's okay for him to back track and change his mind- wasn't that behavior called fence sitting and being wishy washy in others...

Also, I am appalled by the Rush Limbaugh criticism of Michael J Fox. Appalled.

The New Republic[/b] really takes Rush to task:

(excerpts)
The ad stars the actor Michael J. Fox. In it, Fox asks voters to support McCaskill because, unlike her Republican opponent, McCaskill supports stem cell research -- which might eventually lead to a cure for Parkinson's. The ad is particularly effective because Fox is swaying back and forth during the entire ad, apparently because of the Parkinson's.

Enter Limbaugh. On today's show, while responding to some listener e-mail, Limbaugh said "when I saw the ad, I was commenting ... that he was either off his medications or he is acting. He is an actor, you know."

A few clicks led me to William J. Weiner M.D., professor and chairman of the department of neurology at the University of Maryland Medical Center. He's also director of the Parkinson's clinic there.

Even better, it turns out Dr. Weiner has a phone. When I reached him, he said he'd seen the ad earlier in the day and was fairly surprised to hear about Limbaugh's reaction. Here's why:

What you are seeing on the video is side effects of the medication. He has to take that medication to sit there and talk to you like that. ... He's not over-dramatizing. ... [Limbaugh] is revealing his ignorance of Parkinson's disease, because people with Parkinson's don't look like that at all when they're not taking their medication. They look stiff, and frozen, and don't move at all. ... People with Parkinson's, when they've had the disease for awhile, are in this bind, where if they don't take any medication, they can be stiff and hardly able to talk. And if they do take their medication, so they can talk, they get all of this movement, like what you see in the ad.
In the meantime, Weiner also pointed out something else I hadn't considered: Fox was actually being commendably nuanced in the ad. The actor could have said stem cells will lead to a Parkinson's cure, but he said merely that it gives patients hope -- which is accurate. There's no way to know for sure what stem cells will do for Parkinson's, or other diseases, but they have the potential to do so. The only way to find out for sure is to do the research that Limbaugh and his allies are bent on blocking.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2006, 11:53:11 AM »

He just said people are showing up for absentee voting.

Not as strange as it sounds. Some venues permit voters to go to a counter, procure an absentee ballot, and cast same. Other places already have polling stations open for early voting - you can turn in your absentee ballot by hand or vote via touch screen.

California anticipates 50% of total votes will be cast by absentee ballot prior to Election day!

Some folks are concerned about absentee fraud; however, in some places, like CA, anyone can go to a polling station, claim to be John Doe, show no ID, and vote. Every Absentee Ballot, on the other hand, has it's voter signature compared to the signature on file at the registrar's office.

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2006, 12:15:18 PM »

Bob (the Book Cart) is now parked by my Grants Information Center, displaying "Phictional Philanthropy - Some complimentary, some not-so-flattering, portrayals of nonprofit work."  Here's the list of titles:

Auchincloss, Louis
“The Power of Appointment” and “The Power of Bequest”  in Powers of Attorney
“The Prison Window” in The Collected Stories of Louis Auchincloss
“The Wagnerians” in Tales of Manhattan

Capek, Karel
   War with the Newts

Clark, Mindy Starns  (Million Dollar Mysteries)
   A Penny for Your Thoughts
   Don’t Take Any Wooden Nickels
   A Dime a Dozen
   A Quarter for a Kiss
   The Buck Stops Here

Conrad, Joseph
   Heart of Darkness

Cormier, Robert
   The Chocolate War

Davies, Robertson (The Cornish Trilogy)
   The Rebel Angels
   What’s Bred in the Bone
   The Lyre of Orpheus

Dickens, Charles
   Bleak House
   A Christmas Carol
   Oliver Twist

Durrenmatt, Friedrich
   The Visit, a Play in Three Acts

Ellison, Ralph
   Invisible Man

Fielding, Helen
   Cause Celeb

Heinlein, Robert A.
   Time Enough for Love

Lewis, Sinclair
   Arrowsmith
   Babbitt
   Elmer Gantry
   Main Street

Marquand, John P.
   The Late George Apley, A Novel in the Form of a Memoir

Perry, Thomas
   Blood Money

Pickard, Nancy (Jenny Cain Mysteries)
   Generous Death
   Say No to Murder
   No Body
   Marriage is Murder
   Dead Crazy
   Bum Steer
   I.O.U.
   But I Wouldn’t Want to Die There
   Confession
   Twilight

Smiley, Jane
   Moo

Trollope, Anthony
   Barchester Towers
   The Warden

Vonnegut, Kurt
   God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

Yezierska, Anzia
   “My Own People” in Hungry Heart
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 12:40:02 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2006, 12:31:59 PM »

Interesting bibliography thar, DR GINNY.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2006, 12:40:44 PM »

Interesting bibliography thar, DR GINNY.

Any other suggestions, DR JRand?  Or other DRs?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2006, 12:55:49 PM »

Also, I am appalled by the Rush Limbaugh criticism of Michael J Fox. Appalled.

I am appalled at Rush LImbaugh, period! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2006, 12:57:27 PM »

You know prior to my taking a postion with our state government I worded in a Pharmacy as a tech...one of the pharmacists was a huge Rush Limbaugh fan and we had to listen to his talks show every morning for a couple of hours (4 hours, maybe)....I was so stressed out some days! LOL!

Oddly enough this was my favorite pharmacist to work with. Go figure.

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2006, 01:04:23 PM »

My ask BK question:
Does Guy Haines have any plans to record another album? (If so, I nominated Randy Newman's song "I Miss You" for consideration...he did such a beautiful job with "Marie".)

I've been hoping for that too!~  A compilation of wonderful Newman songs would be excellent.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2006, 01:05:05 PM »

Newman's "Beware of The Naked Man" should be included.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2006, 01:06:17 PM »

You know prior to my taking a postion with our state government I worded in a Pharmacy as a tech...one of the pharmacists was a huge Rush Limbaugh fan and we had to listen to his talks show every morning for a couple of hours (4 hours, maybe)....I was so stressed out some days! LOL!

Oddly enough this was my favorite pharmacist to work with. Go figure.

You were on drugs, right?

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2006, 01:07:15 PM »

Thanks for the additional pictures of the Seattle and Tacoma HHW gatherings. Always great to see fellow DRs "in the flesh."
Thanks. Matt.
"In The FLesh" is not necessarily that pretty with some of us!
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2006, 01:07:39 PM »

This was my favorite JRand56!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »

Got several things watched and cleared off the DVR. I began with last night's BOSTON LEGAL. We finally got to the end of the Scott Little murder trial.

I thought it was the mother from the beginning, and what happened after the trial cemented that in my mind. Wonder if that's the end of the story with this or will the mother's trial happen later in the season?

Boy, are the producers wasting Mark Valley in this show or what?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2006, 01:11:49 PM »

I"m guessing these are the last 3 episodes before hiatus?

Correct.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2006, 01:13:18 PM »

I recorded another episode of HELP ME HELP YOU, but why I did it, I don't know. This is a comedy with more wince moments than funny ones. It is SO lucky to be getting that HUGE lead-in from DANCING WITH THE STARS.

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2006, 01:14:27 PM »

Thanks for the photo feedback TPunk, JRand, Matt and Mike. (et al).

Tomorrow:  The Vancouver area.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2006, 01:15:53 PM »

I was thinking of posting that Joan Fontain was in a Nip and Tuck episode titled "Three Joins In a Fontaine".

Tasteless so I won't.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2006, 01:18:34 PM »

Next I watched ABBOTT AND COSTELLO IN HOLLYWOOD. Typical silly stuff with the pair on the loose at "Mammoth Studios" (read MGM). OK but completely forgettable after the movie is over and no need ever to rewatch it.

They missed a golden opportunity to plug other MGM properties and stars by having the boys running around the lot. Oh, they run onto a set with Lucille Ball and Preston Foster being directed by Robert Z. Leonard, and they run into the MGM school with Butch Jenkins and Dean Stockwell there, but imagine all the MGM stars they could have come in contact with on their jaunt. A totally missed opportunity.

It was nice seeing Charles Walters leading the singing and dancing in the big amusement park production number (he also staged the number for the cameras).

But this movie might not have flopped if some of the studio's top talent had popped in for cameo appearances. Warners certainly got great mileage out of that gimmick for IT'S A GREAT FEELING.

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2006, 01:25:19 PM »

Finished the afternoon watching the first 20 minutes of ON AN ISLAND WITH YOU. That's not Ricardo Montalban's voice doing the singing, but I'll have to research the voice double. Cyd Charisse in the movie makes Esther Williams look chunky and almost plain. I'm sure that didn't make Esther happy at the time. Peter Lawford and Ricardo Montalban are both impossibly handsome in Technicolor.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up