Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: PROMISHES, PROMISHES  (Read 37388 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PROMISHES, PROMISHES
« on: October 25, 2006, 12:10:42 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the ntoes showed greate promish, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they promish they will, they really do.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:32:52 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PROMISHES, PROMISHES
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 12:12:51 AM »

And the word of the day is: OPSIMATHY!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 12:44:16 AM »

Yesternight Music Guy posted:
One of the most overlooked, especially in the very earliest incarnation (L.A. area local only) was of course, Time For Beanie.  It wasn't until I was much older that I realized just what a bunch of geniuses made up the creative team.

A definite understatement!

Rich Galen's Blog comments:
TITLE: "Over the Bounding Main" My first memory of this song "Sailing, sailing, over the bounding main" was as the theme song for an early TV show named "Time for Beanie". This was a televised puppet show (not unlike Kukla, Fran, and Ollie) which starred a kid with a beanie on his head named, appropriately "Beanie" and his sidekick Cecil, the "Seasick sea serpent."
It was a fifteen minute show, five days a week which we watched on our Dumont TV.

Stan Freberg teamed with DAWS BUTLER to bring the show to life.

Daws Butler the voice behind some of our most beloved cartoon characters. He was the voice of Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Snagglepuss and many more. He worked at Hanna Barbera studios from 1957 till 1988 as well as working for Warner Bros., MGM, Jay Ward and Walter Lantz. He also wrote and performed on the Stan Freberg show and the original live version of Time for Beanie (Einstein and Harpo Marx's favorite show) as well as acting in radio and voicing TV commercials.

A 1985 Article in the LA Times reports on a ceremony honoring KTLA:
(excerpt)

An ARTICLE :

Daws Butler:
A Personal Portrait
of My Mentor
By Joe Bevilacqua

After service in the Naval Reserve during World War II, Butler moved to California and picked up radio parts on such network broadcasts as "Suspense" and "The Whistler" before spending five years teamed with Stan Freberg doing voices, handling puppets and writing for Bob Clampett's "Time for Beany" daily live television series.   

He also co-wrote and voiced many of Stan Freberg’s greatest comedy records. He went on to write and voice countless television and radio commercials and voice now-classic characters for Tex Avery, Hanna-Barbera, Walter Lantz, Jay Ward and others. The successful characters he voiced are staggering in number: Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, Baba Looey, Mr. Jinx, Dixie, Super Snooper, Blabbermouse, Augie Doggie, Snagglepuss, Hokey Wolf, Fibber Fox, Loop de Loop, Wally Gator, Lippy Lion, Peter Potamus, Chilly Willy, Elroy Jetson, Mr. Cogswell, Henry Orbit, Cap'n Crunch, Hair Bear, and on and on...

TOONOPEDIA reports:
Time for Beany was one of the very earliest children's television series — even Howdy Doody predated its Feb. 28, 1949 debut by less than two years.

It was produced by  veteran Warner Bros. animation director Bob Clampett, whose credits include Porky in Wackyland (1938), Horton Hatches the Egg (1942), and Russian Rhapsody (1944), where Hitler himself was the villain.

Clampett had always had an interest in puppets as well as animation; and that's the medium he chose for this show, which originally aired on Los Angeles station KTLA. Beany and his uncle, the captain of the Leakin' Lena (both voiced by Daws Butler, who also did Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear and many, many others), were marionets who sought adventure in all parts of the world, accompanied by Beany's best friend, Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent (Stan Freberg, also Joonyer Bear, Pogo's Albert the Alligator and more), a hand puppet. They were opposed by the villainous Dishonest John, also voiced by Freberg. Bill Scott, later known as the voice of Bullwinkle, did much of the writing. The show ran six years, during which it racked up an impressive total of three Emmy Awards.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 12:55:51 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 01:10:20 AM »

Another word where we msut use George's dictionary!

Oh well, it's never too late to engage in some more opsimathy.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 01:16:06 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 01:15:33 AM »

Seems the bandaged finger kept the Today's Column botton from directing to the current notes!

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 01:16:02 AM »

Another word where we must use George's dictionary!

Oh well, it's never too late to engage in some more opsimathy.

der Brucer

Glad I could help! :)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 01:21:30 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 01:18:10 AM »

Glad I could help! :)

You would have helped more if you had waited 15 seconds 'till I fixed my spelling error! :'(

der Brucer

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 01:21:10 AM »

Seattle
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 01:21:51 AM »

You would have helped more if you had waited 15 seconds 'till I fixed my spelling error! :'(

der Brucer

What spelling error??

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 01:22:09 AM »

Tacoma
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 01:23:25 AM »

More Tacoma Beauty
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 01:23:37 AM »

That's me with the two Toms!! ;D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 01:25:39 AM »

Tacoma

Casting call for Cocoon III - The Reunion?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 01:26:56 AM »

That's me with the two Toms!! ;D

It's the tom-tom bit that got you your present part!

der Brucer

George

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 01:30:24 AM »

It's the tom-tom bit that got you your present part!

der Brucer

I'll take it. ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 01:31:04 AM »

The bluest skies are in Seattle
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 01:32:14 AM »

Speaking of...rehearsal last night went well.  We just started from the top of the show and got through about two-thirds or so.  Most people are getting closer to memorizing their lines and, even though I have a slight tendency to take till the last minute (but I do get them...usually ::)), I have a good reason this time:  I moved!  (That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;))

Well, I must go to bed now.  Good night, Der Brucer and Tomovoz...and those are great pictures!  Keep 'em coming! :D

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 01:33:03 AM by George »

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 01:32:45 AM »

From the "Space needle".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 01:33:24 AM »

Goodnight America.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 01:34:06 AM »

8)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 01:36:39 AM »

From the "Space needle".

Those blue skies sure were fleeting!

der Brucer

Tomovoz

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 04:21:26 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 04:32:06 AM »

Good morning, all!  And a special good morning to our DR Tomovoz!

I am going to follow yesterday's schedule and do some brain work at home this morning, then go into the NYPL for a few hours.  This evening, DR FJL, Skip, and I are seeing MARY POPPINS.  I look forward to it very much.

TOD:
BK, would you ask your MD call me so he and I can get on the same page about chords?  If the cast is learning harmonies that are not in my score,  it seems redundant for me to send vocals if they've already learned something else and it makes my life easier, of which I'm always in favor!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 04:35:30 AM »

DR Elmore, Big thank you from our friend Heather. Your autograph will be placed along side that of Maggie Smith. Both people in their prime.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 05:18:06 AM »

ASK BK DAY

When you were at Varese there were two compliations cds. One for Borders and the other for promotional purposes. What process did you use to choose what song went on the cds and the order of the songs chosen.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 05:23:24 AM »

Anyone watched the recent DVD releases of the following and if so their opinion.

Let's Scare Jessica To Death
The Other
The Norliss Tapes (TV Movie)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 05:28:17 AM »

One of the latest Bitch fests on the Home Theater Forum "discussion" board is that there is a minute of dialogue missing fom the recent DVD release of Sweet Charity.

Some people returned the DVD. Some wrote letters. Some threatened never to buy another DVD from Universal.

What is more useless:
1) Knowing that there is a minute of dialogue missing.
2) Sitting there and comparing the LD to DVD releases. (They don't have any better to do?
3) That you actually took the time to post it on that website.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 05:31:37 AM »

One the same site there was discussion about Flower Drum Song being finally released on DVD.

They questioned if our own esteemed BK was the first to announce its release, its bonus material and how he came by that information.

I am not a member so I can't post. But it is obvious to me. Nick Redman does the commentary track. NR & BK are friends simple as that. Case closed.

And again who cares who posted the information first. There is no money involved here.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 05:34:59 AM »

But to put it bluntly most people at HTF are know it alls and anal rentative people who must have everything perfect on their DVDs or they will never buy from that company again, return the DVD, write letters or claim they are responsible for a DVD being released with not actually working on it. (Like a certain someone and the release of South Pacific and let's not go there about the complaints about the R2 release of the film)

GET A LIFE PEOPLE!
Never stop dreaming.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 05:35:33 AM »

Are we DR's sure this is an actual word or just a typo due to a bandaged finger?

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up