Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WINTER SOLSTICE  (Read 42923 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:WINTER SOLSTICE
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2006, 01:49:20 PM »

DR Marnum's region has provided me fodder for one of my recent conversational gambits; goes like this:

You, there is a major problem with Mexican immigrant laborers have language problems.

Know why?

Because they cant speak English, or SPANISH!!!!
They speak one of the other 161 languages used in Mexico today.

Do you where, geographically this is a major problem?

TRY OREGON!

Read about it HERE

der Brucer

That many languages, I am not surprised.... I know there  is one person in Fargo that gets called on by a lot of places as far away as the Twin Cities and the west coast due to speaking Quechua and familiarity with several other languages.

The Spanish they speak in Mexico is dialectally different from Catalan Spanish.

There are as many if not more languages in North America if one stops to think about it but they do have familiarity with English here. Many groups are struggling to maintain their linguistic identities. Dakota, Ojibwe and several other languages are taugh in this area. A friend of mine speaks Algonquin, the language of the Cheyenne.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2006, 01:51:00 PM »

I see we have made it to page 5
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2006, 01:54:07 PM »

Is Walter Slezak any relation to Erika Slezak, an actress on One Life to Live?

Her father.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2006, 01:55:52 PM »

Indeed he did - with complaints about how you had him on his knees scrubbing the hearth.

der Brucer

I wanted to help him fulfill his Cinderella fantasies.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2006, 01:55:56 PM »

This is a program to help preserve the Native American languages...

http://www.native-languages.org/

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2006, 01:57:57 PM »

Her father.

der Brucer

I have seen him in a few other things also, he is an excellent actor and his daughter inherited teh same passion for the profession.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2006, 02:01:19 PM »

Indeed he did - with complaints about how you had him on his knees scrubbing the hearth.

der Brucer

Is that the current euphemism these days?   :o
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2006, 02:11:17 PM »

One thing that was really fun at last night's session: Vinnie did really rough band mixes for the singers to sing to, and boy do elmore's orchestrations sound swellegant.  It's fascinating to me - sometimes he sticks precisely to my piano part and chooses the perfect instrumentation - and sometimes, always at the right time, he fills out things in ways I could never approximate because I don't play all that well and can only do what I do.  A perfect example of that is the bridge to The World Of Tomorrow, where he literally takes us on the trip that the lyrics promise.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2006, 02:11:51 PM »

Back from the post office - there was a grand total of one person in line - what a great thing that was - I was in and out in ten minutes.  I LOVE that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2006, 02:12:56 PM »

I'm definitely making up for lost time.  Earlier I'd made up for it, but I got bored of making up for it and switched over to lost time.  I'm posting like a whirling dervish or, to put it another way, a derving whirlish.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2006, 02:13:11 PM »

I'm on a roll, baby.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2006, 02:13:21 PM »

A kaiser roll.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2006, 02:13:53 PM »

A Kaiser Willhelm roll.  Of course, if I played Kaiser Willhelm, I'd be on a Kaiser Willhelm role.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2006, 02:14:13 PM »

I WILL get us to page six.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2006, 02:14:45 PM »

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.  Or is it speed the torpedoes, full damn ahead?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2006, 02:15:14 PM »

Well, I got us half-way to page six.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2006, 02:15:42 PM »

I'm heading down now to load up the car with the gifts for tonight.

And I'm looking forward to dinner! I've had nothing today but a bowl of ice cream.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2006, 02:24:02 PM »

This Disgusting Mistake

That is the name of my NEW musical revue!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2006, 02:24:38 PM »

I guess my question is:

When did the body with a voice suddenly fancy itself a mind?

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2006, 02:25:11 PM »

I was in and out in ten minutes.  I LOVE that.

I don't!  ;D
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2006, 02:25:14 PM »

5 pm and already dark here in Indiana....literally.

It's otherwise ALWAYS dark in Indiana.

Edisaurus

« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2006, 02:25:45 PM »

Somebody had to say it.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2006, 02:33:29 PM »

Ok, I do have something to post...how do people like Virginia Representative Virgil Goode ever get elected! People like him scare the heck out of me....Lawmaker Fears Election of 'More Muslims'[/

God forbid they participate in our democratic institutions!

We just got a "love letter" to our Sacco and Vanzetti site that I felt I must share. Author unknown, but goes by the pen name of Howard Roarke. He's so mad at Muslims that he lost his ability to spell! I bet he ends up seeing the movie, so he can hate it even more!

I just watched the trailer for your documentary.......and I have to say it....as an Italian-American....no, forget that....as an AMERICAN.....I am simply OUTRAGED at the utterly PREPOSTEROUS comparisons that are drawn between what happened to those two gentlemen (I actually wrote a term paper on that very subject at U.S.C film school) in the 1920"s and the social climate the exists here today for Muslem-American immigrants living in a post-911 U.S.A.......HOW DARE YOU......in all honesty.....I don't even know where to begin.....I was knocked SIDEWAYS by the very notion of drawing ANY comparison.....on ANY level.....I'll give you just one.....have you NOT REALIZED....the uber-important fact that Italian-American immigrants were simply NO THREAT WHAT-SO-EVER....they were unjustly treated upon their arrival here for the very same reasons ALL immigrants who came here (then AND now) were treated unfairly....because they were the NEW guys....that's IT...plain and simple.....forget racism....forget being different in any way....the new guy alwasy starts out at the bottom.....now......let's look at the Muslims....there are an estimated 4 miilion currently residing in the U.S.....let's say that maybe one-tenth of one percent ( and that's TWENTY THOUSAND people, by the way, folks) are terrorists awaiting instruction to carry out their next act of INSANITY....does not THAT ONE SIMPLE FACT completely NEGATE your entire fucking arguement.....and let's even forget all of that....where IN THE HELL is our government mistreating Muslims here in our country....where are the RAILROAD COURTS.....where is the RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION.....where's the suspension of HABEAUS CORPUS......just what kind of mistreatment are you talking about.....you do your country a GRAVE INJUSTICE.....what's so disturbing is your'e obviously convinced your'e helping out....maybe your trailer is somehow misleading....I seriously DOUBT IT.....I'll bet it's the exact OPPOSITE....I'll bet if I saw the film....I'd walk out of the theater NUMB.....

Edisaurus

« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2006, 02:39:26 PM »

I know there  is one person in Fargo that gets called on by a lot of places as far away as the Twin Cities and the west coast due to speaking Quechua and familiarity with several other languages.

I edited a film that was in Spanish and 2 Mayan dialects. I had to go all the way to New Orleans to find someone to translate the Mayan to Spanish and then translated that to English. The translations were totally paraphrased. An answer in Mayan that would take a minute would have a one-sentence translation and vice-versa, so I was never sure if I was editing in the right place. The syntax was SO different from English and Spanish. Fortunately, not very many Mayans would see it. They haven't come hunting me down. As far as the Howard Roarke dude, I guess I'd better watch my back!

Maybe he'll come to the "Projectile Festival"!

Edisaurus

« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2006, 02:40:42 PM »

I must say that so far I have endured no long lines. I still have a bit of shopping to do but I've struck quite a few off my list of 50!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2006, 02:49:33 PM »

Let's give Howard Roark the benefit of the doubt--perhaps after laughing and jumping off the cliff, he hit his head in the water.  :)

The suspension of habeas corpus is just one of the "new, improved" Constitution-bashing "achievements" of President Shrubby and Company.

Perhaps Howard hasn't read of the railroad courts committing religious persecution delivering completely innocent Muslims to Syria for torture, or even here in Portland, of Brandon Mayfield being locked away without access to family, friends or even legal counsel for weeks on a completely mistaken charge!

I weep for the intellectual vacuity that has overtaken our nation, starting with its purported leader.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2006, 02:49:34 PM »

An appreciative Oz thank you to Dear Reader Ron Pulliam for his well-timed assistance in helping us to cope with the raging fires here. It is hot and windy again today. Ron has helped to take our minds off the situation and ponder other worldly delights.  HHW to the Rescue.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 06:00:00 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2006, 03:01:44 PM »

One thing that was really fun at last night's session: Vinnie did really rough band mixes for the singers to sing to, and boy do elmore's orchestrations sound swellegant.  It's fascinating to me - sometimes he sticks precisely to my piano part and chooses the perfect instrumentation - and sometimes, always at the right time, he fills out things in ways I could never approximate because I don't play all that well and can only do what I do.  A perfect example of that is the bridge to The World Of Tomorrow, where he literally takes us on the trip that the lyrics promise.

BK, what a very sweet thing to say!  I feel like the kid in the Sixth Sense:  I Hear Things!  

Often, I really don't know what I channel or where in my psyche the things I put on paper come from. I pretty much scored the show in sequence, starting with the three versions of the title song, and I couldn't proceed with any of the score until I figured out what the opening number should sound like.  I'd scribble out a score, go back and listen to your sound files, make notes, erase a lot and rewrite.  I can't work on a computer; I need that eraser and that pencil like a oouija board needs its planchette!  I really liked the songs for The Brain, and I liked the fact that I could take the feel of the songs you as you played them and run with them.   I knew the score was fun, although I completely underestimated how much I would fall in love with the heart and silliness of the book.

It depends, too, on what dramatically and emotionally in the material appeals to me.  I wish I'd been in LA during the rehearsal process because I like to get input from what's going on in rehearsal and hearing what the singers are doing.  I also missed listening to your ad lib doo-waps in rehearsal because they often gave me an idea of what youre hearing, whether I take what you're doing or play games with it.

I always go into a project with the theory I'm going to be fired after the first band rehearsal:  there's always that bit of fear while you're working "what if they hear it differently than I do?"  Usually, though, you're hired because the employer's heard your work and knows what you can do.  And you've certainly heard enough of my work in the past 12 years.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2006, 03:13:09 PM »

Did our DR MBarnum pass that photo of my palatial estate to you?

Yes, that was the view from the fire escape, as I recall.

I remember how warm and inviting that fire looked.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2006, 03:13:22 PM »

Indeed I have and I knew you'd do a great job on this.  And elmore is right - when you hear the orchestration for the title song, you'll know he captured exactly the feel and style of the show.  It's funny - I wrote what I consider to be one of my best opening vamps for that song - it just sets the tone perfectly.  I never would have imagined it played on anything but piano, but elmore assigned it to sax and organ and it's brilliant.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up