Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WINTER SOLSTICE  (Read 42591 times)

MBarnum

Re:WINTER SOLSTICE
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2006, 08:18:59 AM »

BK, I believe there are a couple of Maria Montez films being released on DVD soon that are Arabian nights-ish.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2006, 08:19:39 AM »

The Winter Solstice is the shortest day/longest night of the year and the beginning of winter in the Northern Hemisphere and the longest day/shortest night of the year and the beginning of summer in the Southern Hemisphere.  It is when the sun is shining directly on the Tropic of Capricorn.

For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere it means the days will start getting longer tomorrow...the sun'll come out...oh never mind

The solstice was sacred among teh Druids long ago in Ireland and England...

Here is a link for seeing the sun enter Newgrange in Ireland.

http://www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/newgrange/illumination.html

IT signifies the rebirth of the sun...

here is another site also

http://www.candlegrove.com/solstice.html
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2006, 08:24:11 AM »

TOD:

I like 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD and I know I have seen a few of the Universal films related to the TOD, but my most recent viewings of such films have been from India and they have been a lot of fun with my favorite being ALIBABA (sic) AND 40 THIEVES (1954)starring Mahipal and Shakila.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2006, 08:27:13 AM »

I have only seen a couple of Arabian nights related films and the are the Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974) that had Tom Baker in the role of Koura. Interesting special effects done by Ray Harryhausen.

The other is the Disney animated film of Aladdin. It was okay.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2006, 08:47:49 AM »

TOD:  I love the Korda Thief, too.  I first saw it at a suitably ornate San Francisco movie house on a big screen and it blew my mind.

There's a great homage to this genre in the 1940s German feature Munchhausen.  The harem girls are actually topless and in glorious whatever-the-Germans-used color.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2006, 08:52:17 AM »

I have the German film on DVD JMK...quite unusual, quite adult (!), and very fascinating!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2006, 08:53:25 AM »

Off I must go to work again.

I suspect der B will be along in a bit.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2006, 08:53:43 AM »

Who didn't have this album at there home when they were kids!

You can download it here ---> http://bongobells.blogspot.com/   as well as some swell Glenn Campbell Christmas albums.

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2006, 09:05:04 AM »

I've been down the basement wrapping presents.  Now, DS Rob and I are off to join the hustle and bustle of Dayton Mall and other shopping establishments.  Pray for Rosemary's baby.

Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2006, 10:20:32 AM »

CELEBRATION is sort of a Solstice show

"In ancient days, in winter, as the sun kept sinking lower in the sky, men started to wonder if they could die. 'Look', they said 'the day is being eaten by the night.' 'Look,' they said, 'the darkness is devouring the light. And they were frightened"  or something like that..I was Potemkin and awfully long time ago.

FJL

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2006, 10:25:27 AM »

SOLSTICE TWINKIES - that's the title of something, I think

Cillaliz

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2006, 10:26:52 AM »

Well, the week off isn't a week off anymore.  There is just too much to do at work and I'm too wiped out to do it all on Saturday. It probably won't be that big a deal, but it most likely means I won't get much work done on the house as I really wanted to.  At least I have it arranged so I can still work at home and not come into the office at all that week.  I love that. I wish I could do that everyday!

Cillaliz

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2006, 10:28:04 AM »

As far as the Arabian Nights... I've never quite understood the fascination with them. But that's just me

Cillaliz

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2006, 10:29:19 AM »

Time for a cup of soup and back to work. Laters...oh, and like Vixmom, the cards etc are still going to me mailed, just not until next week when I can get them to the post office

Cillaliz

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2006, 10:30:54 AM »

I'm quite calm about working instead of having a vacation now, but you should have seen me first thing this morning....hostile? Moi? never.....  ;)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2006, 10:38:05 AM »

Are there weather problems between Vernon and Agoura, or is UPS shining us on to get us ready for it not being delivered in Agoura before Christmas?

Vernon-Agoura is about a 30 minute drive. Vernon is basicaly the LAX hub for UPS. The Denver airport closure has created a huge problem for UPS and has certainly caused them to re-deploy some of their surface assets.

I suspect Christmas is still OK - in a crisis you might be able to arrange for a customer pick-up in Vernon.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2006, 10:45:33 AM »

Got three more hours of sleep and am feeling fine now.  I shall go package up the orders I have, then toddle over to the post office around two.

Re the review - the other day I got a strongly-worded e-mail from Emily Skinner saying the disc mastering engineer had made a horrible mistake in the way the CD was tracked - that the tracks should have started with the dialogue that preceded each song.  She said that she hoped I'd correct this disgusting mistake on the next pressing.  I sent her a strongly-worded reply that the CD was tracked correctly, just the way I like it, and that nothing was changing - that long ago I'd figured out that people don't want to be forced to listen to patter they've heard, that they wanted to go right to the music.  I don't believe anyone had ever tracked a live album that way - they always started the tracks on the dialogue.  We were the first or one of the firsts to put the dialogue at the end of the previous track, AFTER a song, so that the next track begins with the song, thusly enabling the listener to skip directly to the music.

I don't know that she agreed or disagreed, but in the review he goes out of his way to mention that the CD is tracked the way it is and that that is a good thing.

FJL

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2006, 10:47:07 AM »

Thanks for the info, DER BRUCER.

A box of presents getting somewhere is obviously not a "crisis" in the grand scheme of things, and no one's going to ask gift recipients to drive to pick up their gifts of course :) , so Skip called the prospective recipients and let them know that presents were possibly coming late and that UPS put a "weather exception" on them.  

FJL

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2006, 10:53:53 AM »

BK - Being an innovator is always fraught with danger.  

Glad the review noticed and appreciated what you did with the tracks!

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2006, 11:03:37 AM »

Another Christmas LP that would have caught my attention as a youngster had we owned it (just due to the LPs cover I would have played the heck out of this one!). I downloaded it just now and it is wonderful...of course I am a big fan of Frank Chacksfield to begin with...and if you are too then download it here ----> http://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2006/12/frank-not-sinatra.html

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2006, 11:12:29 AM »

And a very popular album with many HHWers....

which can be downloaded for free at ---> http://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2006/11/merry-christmas-indeed.html

DERBRUCER

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2006, 11:28:33 AM »

I think the Jon Hall movie is the one I remember - was there another Universal film from the same period that's an Arabian Nights film?  Maybe the other one I remember is Son of Sinbad - but I think I also remember a second Arabian Nights film - I think both were on laserdisc.  Are those films on DVD yet?

Arabian Nights (1942) - Universal

Sabu
Jon Hall
Maria Montez

This film marks the first use of 3-strip Technicolor by Universal.

Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (1944) - Universal

Maria Montez
Jon Hall

A Thousand and One Nights (1945) - Columbia

Cornel Wilde
Evelyn Keyes
Phil Silvers

Sinbad the Sailor (1947) - RKO (on DVD)

Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
Maureen O'Hara
Walter Slezak
Anthony Quinn

The Prince Who Was a Thief (1951) - Universal

Tony Curtis
Piper Laurie
Everett Sloane

Son of Ali Baba (1952) - Universal

Tony Curtis
Piper Laurie

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2006, 11:33:22 AM »

I still paln to get my cards and packages out to you all but they be New Years prezzies by time they get to you!!!!!

I will have to send my cards late this year, also. ::) And since the cards that I chose this year aren't really even "holiday" cards, just seasonal cards, it should be okay.  So, if I have your address, you're getting a card! ;)

And Thank You to those who have sent me cards!  You will get one...eventually. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2006, 11:40:19 AM »

- the other day I got a strongly-worded e-mail from Emily Skinner saying the disc mastering engineer had made a horrible mistake in the way the CD was tracked - that the tracks should have started with the dialogue that preceded each song.  She said that she hoped I'd correct this disgusting mistake on the next pressing.  I sent her a strongly-worded reply that the CD was tracked correctly, just the way I like it, and that nothing was changing - that long ago I'd figured out that people don't want to be forced to listen to patter they've heard, that they wanted to go right to the music.

BK - You just don't get it!

The function of the CD of a live show is act as a tribute to the star's ego - audience be damned!

Listening to you, someone might think you'd had some success as a record producer.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2006, 11:41:38 AM »

...just seasonal cards...

Two varients, one for each hemisphere?

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2006, 11:45:14 AM »

Arabian Nights and Ali Baba - those are the two Universals.  Are they on DVD?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2006, 11:45:53 AM »

Have packaged up everything, and have dealt with other things that needed dealing with, and shall now jog.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2006, 11:52:01 AM »

Associated Press
'Gay' penguin book banned
in Charlotte schools

Library group criticizes move

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) | Dec 20, 8:34 AM
A picture book based on a true story about two male penguins that raise an adopted hatchling together has been ordered off bookshelves in one of the state's largest school districts, officials said.

"And Tango Makes Three" was banned in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools after parent inquiries.

The story about presumably gay penguins at New York's Central Park Zoo has been the focus of proposed bans at schools and public libraries in several states. Charlotte-Mecklenburg is the first school district to ban the book, according to the American Library Association.

In the memo banning the book, district officials said the book "focuses on homosexuality" and provides no vital information to primary students. "We did not believe the book would stimulate growth in ethical standards, and the book is too controversial," the memo stated.
The American Library Association criticized Charlotte-Mecklenburg school officials for not giving the book an open, balanced review.

"One parent's decision shouldn't dictate whether or not the book is available to all the other families in the community," said Deborah Caldwell-Stone, a deputy director for the association's Freedom to Read Foundation.

"Any challenge to a book is ultimately an attempt to remove an idea from public discourse," she said.

der Brucer (and the birds weren't raised on soy milk!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2006, 11:53:31 AM »

Arabian Nights and Ali Baba - those are the two Universals.  Are they on DVD?

No, VHS only.

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2006, 11:55:58 AM »

Two varients, one for each hemisphere?

der Brucer

Ooo...I hadn't thought about that.  I guess I have a little more shopping to do!! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up