Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ROADRUNNER (BEEP BEEP)  (Read 39659 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE ROADRUNNER (BEEP BEEP)
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2007, 02:38:46 PM »

Next, I watched another Lucy-Desi: "Lucy Goes to Mexico" with guest star Maurice Chevalier. Not especially funny, but how great to see Charles Lane as the cranky border agent. Always loved him as Homer Bedloe on PETTICOAT JUNCTION.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2007, 02:42:04 PM »

Well, I tried to do a page 6 dance, but the upload folder is still full, so no image at the moment. Will upload one later.

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2007, 02:44:09 PM »

I ended my afternoon of viewing with W.C. Fields in THE OLD FASHIONED WAY. Not as funny as YOU'RE TELLING ME, but it contains some classic Fields moments including that fabulous juggling act as The Great McGonigle, and his barker antics selling a cure for hoarseness.

And, of course, any time Baby LeRoy is present, there's always amusement.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2007, 02:44:12 PM »

I have BONES, CROSSING JORDAN, CSI: NY, LOST, and IDOL results tonight. I'll record IDOL results and watch it in five minutes.

Easy for you! I'm also a Criminal Minds fan, so for the 10th hour my DVR is chock-a-block.

Maybe I'll put IDOL in a PIP screen while watching Criminal Minds.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »

And I like that THE VIEW is in high def so one got a much better view of the line in A CHORUS LINE.

Did they show the dancers feet?

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2007, 02:55:02 PM »

Did they show the dancers feet?

Yes - the director obviously knew what he was doing.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2007, 02:55:20 PM »

Last night MusciGuy posted:

But maybe -- just maybe -- this will be the night that the wispy Sanjaya finally begins to ovulate !  

Well, its seems that he already had, before the show. On stage we were exposed to a horrible misscarriage!

Well, if it's any consolation, Sanjaya not only made little children cry, he left Simon virtually speechless.

der Brucer

IMHO Jordin put on the best performance, with Melinda second.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 02:58:25 PM by DERBRUCER »

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2007, 02:57:36 PM »

I just read that ABC has picked up most of its current schedule for next year. About the only shows that ABC has not picked up (yet) are SIX DEGREES, WHAT ABOUT BRIAN, OCTOBER ROAD, and its half hour comedies.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2007, 02:57:52 PM »

Yes - the director obviously knew what he was doing.

And would you support a film re-make of A Chorus Line by a "director obviously (who) knew what he was doing".

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2007, 03:08:59 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I can die a happy Flapapino now...

I just finished playing an emergency set of auditions for our show.  We saw six people, and they all brought in some fun and challenging music to play: "Rain" (Once On This Island), "Coalhouse's Soliloquy" (Ragtime), "Push Da' Button" (Jamaica), etc., etc...

After we were done, John Kander came up to me, took both my hands in his, and said, "Good job!".

That sooooo totally made my day!  Well, year...  Heck, career.  *Now I just need to figure out to put that on my resume.  ;)

:D

Congratulations!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2007, 03:11:29 PM »

Why nobody really needs to drive an SUV:

http://aistigave.hit.bg/Logistics/

The was a great way to start my day!

LOOK -DHL on it's way to HHW:

der Brucer

George

« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2007, 03:12:25 PM »

....And whenever you come across someone with an "rr" in their e-mail adress (such as nyc.rr.com) that usually means they're a RoadRunner account.

Interesting...I've actually seen that before, but never knew.  Thanks. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2007, 03:13:50 PM »

I began my afternoon with last night's BOSTON LEGAL. A very surprising ending to the Megan Mullally storyline that I did not see coming. Constance Zimmer's storyline was also of some interest. Pretty good show and less silly than it sometimes is.

I also had no idea where Megan's storyline was going and was quite surprised by not only what her actual story was but also Alan's "deal" with her. ::)

George

« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2007, 03:14:11 PM »

Today was Rosie O'Donnell's 45th birthday, and to celebrate it on THE VIEW, they featured performances from three Broadway shows since she is such a fan of Broadway: LES MIZ, THE COLOR PURPLE, and A CHORUS LINE. The latter was my favorite excerpt with the entire company in their gold/platinum costumes doing the "One" finale. Oh, it brought back memories of dancing those steps and trying to sing while being completely out of breath. Thankfully, there were singers off stage on mics helping out.

I actually remembered to record this!!  I'll be able to watch it when I get home tonight. :)

George

« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2007, 03:15:12 PM »

I just got back from lunch and had to catch up.  I went to a new place just a couple of blocks away called "Teriyaki Wok) and had their orange chicken with rice.  It was quite tasty. :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2007, 03:19:53 PM »

In other words:

I don't need no stinking Sondheim reissues!

I feel the same way; nothing in the additional materials appeals to me, and unless something of the original recordings has turned up that wasn't originally released, I can live easily without them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »

Had a surprise conference call with a client about doing returns going back to 2000 and 2001!  Had to go back in my memory to remind myself what the old tax laws were then in some cases.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2007, 03:20:37 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I just finished playing an emergency set of auditions for our show.  We saw six people, and they all brought in some fun and challenging music to play: "Rain" (Once On This Island), "Coalhouse's Soliloquy" (Ragtime), "Push Da' Button" (Jamaica), etc., etc...

After we were done, John Kander came up to me, took both my hands in his, and said, "Good job!".

That sooooo totally made my day!  Well, year...  Heck, career.  *Now I just need to figure out to put that on my resume.  ;)

Good Job. All that bellows-pumping and piano-roll changing must be exhausting!

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2007, 03:22:09 PM »

Lovely story, Jose!

Michael

« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2007, 03:31:58 PM »

Next, I watched another Lucy-Desi: "Lucy Goes to Mexico" with guest star Maurice Chevalier. Not especially funny, but how great to see Charles Lane as the cranky border agent. Always loved him as Homer Bedloe on PETTICOAT JUNCTION.

I believe Charles Lane is still with us. I believe he is about 101 or so.
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2007, 03:32:38 PM »

...unless something of the original recordings has turned up that wasn't originally released, I can live easily without them.

What if they were personally delivered by Brent Barrett?

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2007, 03:34:44 PM »

Well, everything is shipped.  Got the last of the packages, including one Shire order for 100 copies out today.  I've got one remaining amazon order that I've been waiting to fill because it will deplete my Skinner/Ripley CDs, but I'll be getting 200 more next week, so that order can now go out.

MBarnum

« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »

DR Jose, what a nice day you had! And of course anyone with any sense would be happy to have someone with such a sunny disposition playing piano for them! (quite the antithesis of the cynical piano players you would always see in those old 1930s musicals!)

MBarnum

« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2007, 03:36:11 PM »

DTM, glad to hear the good health news! And DR Laura, hope your news is also good!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2007, 03:44:49 PM »

LOOK -DHL on it's way to HHW:

What is it, fish?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »

And would you support a film re-make of A Chorus Line by a "director obviously (who) knew what he was doing".

Of course I would, but it ain't gonna happen. Once bitten, twice shy with that property. Besides, unless HAIRSPRAY makes a ton of money this summer, I'm not sure musicals are on anyone's front burner.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #176 on: March 21, 2007, 03:51:37 PM »

DR Jose, have you seen the movie ANYTHING BUT LOVE, also known as STANDARD TIME? Andrew McCarthy plays a piano player playing auditions by day and lounge piano by night. He is very cute in it and it also features your friend Eartha Kitt. (I didn't see her punch Andrew...)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2007, 03:52:12 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Congrats Jose!! That is so cool.

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2007, 03:56:18 PM »

Here's the story from the front page of today's Sioux City Journal about the Angel of Ahlem.

Story of an 'angel'

Vernon Tott documentary premieres tonight
By Nick Hytrek Journal staff writer

The camera lens brings the face of a forlorn-looking young man into focus on the movie poster.

Through a second-hand camera, Vernon Tott snapped the harsh conditions of Jewish survivors of the Nazi labor camp.

Siouxland residents can see first-hand the joy Tott's pictures have brought to those men and their families.

"Angel of Ahlem," a 60-minute documentary about Tott and his search for camp survivors premieres tonight at the Orpheum Theatre. The 8:15 showing is free to the public.

It will be the first public showing of the movie, filmed and produced by the University of Florida's Documentary Institute.

"We thought we owe it to the family to show it first in Sioux City," said co-director Churchill Roberts, who with his staff has spent three years working on the film.

The movie details the final 10 years of Tott's life, time spent searching almost tirelessly for Ahlem survivors. Tott died last March at age 80 from cancer.

"It's going to be difficult (to watch), but I think it's going to be wonderful," his wife, Betty Tott, said.

On April 10, 1945, Tott and the Army's 84th Division came upon the camp just outside of Hannover, Germany. Shocked by the conditions, Tott pulled out a Kodak camera he bought in a pawn shop before he was shipped overseas and took 18 photos of Jewish men who had been worked nearly to death. They are the only photos of the liberation known to exist.

When he returned home to Sioux City, Tott put the pictures away. For 50 years, they were stashed in his basement until Benjamin Sieradzki wrote a letter to an 84th Division newsletter in 1995. An Ahlem survivor, he was looking for the soldier who took the photos.

Tott replied, and the two became fast friends. Having found Sieradzki, Tott wondered if there were more survivors. By the time he died, more than 30 had been located.

"He absolutely lived and breathed it once he got into it," Betty Tott said.

Sieradzki, who lives in Berkeley, Calif., and two other survivors will attend tonight's premiere.

Roberts learned of Tott after reading an Associated Press story about how the Ahlem survivors had Tott's name engraved at the U.S. Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C.

The survivors he helped reunite called Tott their angel. Never seeking fame, Tott was just glad to make them happy. Tott was thrilled about the movie, knowing that it could lead to the discovery of more survivors.

"He was proud to know that it was going to happen, even though he knew he wasn't going to get to see it," Sadler said.

Roberts said he thinks viewers will learn a lot about the Holocaust through Tott's eyes.

"I think there will be an enormous amount of pride that this Army veteran from Sioux City devoted the last 10 years of his life to such a noble cause," Roberts said.

When he settles into his seat at the Orpheum tonight, Sadler said, it will be sad that his father didn't live to see the film, at least not in person.

"Somewhere there, he'll be with us," Sadler said.

Angels always are.

Nick Hytrek can be reached at 712-293-4226 or nickhytrek@siouxcityjournal.com.

Matt H.

« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2007, 04:00:39 PM »

Off to clean the den now, and then back to some DVD viewing until prime time tonight.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:00:57 PM by Matt H. »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up