Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A MELLOW MOOD  (Read 48043 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:IN A MELLOW MOOD
« Reply #210 on: March 27, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »

I'm stuck under a sleeping cat. But never fear. I have peanut butter cups and Cherry Coke.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2007, 02:50:59 PM »

Page Eight dance!

I can't shake it all about because of the aforementioned sleeping cat.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2007, 02:53:46 PM »

Is that the one your dad made you girls turn off because it was too disturbing?

Or was that the Rocky Horror Show?

Or did he make you turn both off?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2007, 02:54:34 PM »

It would have been Colorado, I believe, if it was on that side trip you made after family reunion that year.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2007, 02:56:53 PM »

That was the Rocky Horror thing. And I was the one who thought it was disturbing. The Scissors movie was later. Or before. I don't know.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2007, 03:08:51 PM »

Robert Spano, who now conducts the Atlanta Symphony, was there with us as well.

Our orchestra LOVES him! They were pretty miserable under his predecessor.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2007, 03:10:25 PM »

Does it feel like a "Monday" to anyone else?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2007, 03:20:47 PM »

Does it feel like a "Monday" to anyone else?

Actually, I mistakenly thought earlier today that is was WEDNESDAY!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2007, 03:22:40 PM »

Well, it's an allegory and thus a little thick for today's tastes. I've still always loved it.

Of course my taste in movies is certainly not within the parameters of "today's tastes," rather my reason for disliking the film has always been that it seemed rather forced and trying too hard to be a thrilling fantasy picture in the vain of WIZARD OF OZ, if that makes sense.

It just didn't work for me. But then I haven't seen it since the early 1980s, so my opinion might be totally different if I were to watch it again now.

MBarnum

« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »

Johnny Depp doesn't always play weird. Try FINDING NEVERLAND. Not quite true to the real story, but a lovely and magical film in many ways.

I meant weird in real life! Whenever I see him on an interview show or an awards show he seems very odd.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #220 on: March 27, 2007, 03:31:44 PM »

I think I tried to watch the Scissors one when I was in a motel room the time I made that trip up there alone. I found it disturbing and turned it off.

MBarnum

« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2007, 03:32:06 PM »

DRs Adrianna and Cason, also please to join us (why are we coming apart) at Musso and Franks April 24th!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #222 on: March 27, 2007, 03:32:31 PM »

TOD: I am doing a bit of board work right now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #223 on: March 27, 2007, 03:42:12 PM »

Well, rehearsal is about to wrap up here, and then I'm meeting a friend for dinner.  -Not sure I'll make it home in time to catch "Idol".  In any case...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #224 on: March 27, 2007, 03:47:08 PM »

I've got some things to attend to as well, so I'll sign off now and find a movie to watch before IDOL begins.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: March 27, 2007, 03:50:59 PM »

Back from a pastrami sandwich and fries at Art's.  It was just as good as yesterday's.  I rarely go out and eat alone, but I must say it was very pleasant - I took a couple of magazines with me and just relaxed.  Very nice.  Now I shall write page number five, and then see if I feel like going beyond my five pages today.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2007, 04:00:18 PM »

Johnny Depp doesn't always play weird. Try FINDING NEVERLAND. Not quite true to the real story, but a lovely and magical film in many ways.

My concern isn't that he's "weird" (either in his acting or personal life) but about the quality of his voice.  I didn't like the casting of Gerard Butler as the Phantom because he's not a trained singer, which I (personally) feel is really necessary for that role.  I (again, personally) feel that the part of Sweeney Todd/Benjamin Barker also requires an actor with vocal training, which Johnny Depp doesn't have.  I know that he's a good actor, but I would've wished for a really good singer, since it basically is an opera. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2007, 04:00:56 PM »

Just my 2¢.

:)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #228 on: March 27, 2007, 04:02:34 PM »

DR GINNY - doesn't a conference call by definition come to you?  ;D

Nope, DR JRand, the organizers provided a toll-free number and a code to me and instructed me to call in at 2:30 EST.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #229 on: March 27, 2007, 04:03:05 PM »

For those who enjoy some nifty theramin lounge music...here is an ideal vintage record album that you can download for free...

http://www.blognow.com.au/XtabaysWorld/

It is quite beautiful and reminds me of childhood days of watching old 50s sci fi films on the late, late show!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:03:55 PM by MBarnum »

Ginny

« Reply #230 on: March 27, 2007, 04:04:41 PM »

DR MBarnum - As for those Tamari and Seaweed Rice Cakes...  Well, I guess know you know that Tamari is Japanese soy sauce.  -Which most definitely does not go with coffee.  However, maybe with some tuna salad...

This reminds me of the time I was so excited to be on United Airlines because they'd just started serving Starbucks coffee (before you could get it everywhere).  What did they serve for a snack with the coffee?  Honey mustard pretzel bits.  Not a good combination :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:08:00 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #231 on: March 27, 2007, 04:05:01 PM »

DR Edisaurus, I am very sorry that my gigs will prevent me from meeting you and your DH in person this coming weekend.

Bummer!!!! I'm sure the other HHW brunch attendees feel the same!   :'(
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MBarnum

« Reply #232 on: March 27, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »

This new Sweeny Tod sounds like something that will have a lot of bloodletting in it.

I enjoyed the 1930s version of Sweeny Todd.

Ginny

« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2007, 04:10:57 PM »

'bout time for me to go home.  I'm not sure I'll be coming to work tomorrow, because they're shutting off the water for an undetermined length of time.  The powers that be have placed bottled water in each department and one (yes, ONE) portapotty in the staff parking lot.  Isn't there an OSHA regulation or something about employee/potty ratio?

Edisaurus

« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2007, 04:14:04 PM »

While I still plan on attending the Friday evening 7pm showing of Sacco and Vanzetti I haven't yet purchased 3 tickets because they are not yet available at moviefone.com nor are they available at the ticket office of the Quad Cinema.

Thanks for trying, Ben! I'll post if I hear anything about them becoming available.

I have to wonder what's the point of being able to order tickets in advance if they're not available!

Edisaurus

« Reply #235 on: March 27, 2007, 04:20:22 PM »

DR MattH, thanks for the reminder of the new Shirley Temple movies that are out today...I must hie myself to Best Buy and pick up my favorite, STAND UP AND CHEER! The only movie that I know of that features both little Shirley Temple and big Aunt Jemima.

I bought a Shirley Temple DVD last week at the Dollar Store for---a dollar. It's in a cardboard box, so I will have to put it in a real case. I don't know if there are any extras or if it even looks any good, but I figured you couldn't go wrong for a buck. But a cardboard box?

I have a cat that likes to gnaw on cardboard. She has already demolished THE INSPECTOR GENERAL. (Also only a buck!)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #236 on: March 27, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »

News Anchor Katie Couric drives me crazy.  Why is it I think:
   Walter Cronkite = intelligence and depth
   Katie Couric = Bubblegum

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #237 on: March 27, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »

there are times when you really would like to use that shot and you can't because it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing, i.e. recording the entire show from a wide master shot.

Yes, feel my pain. That's why I used it as little as possible. It may have been on auto-iris and adjusting itself when the lighting got hot.

Edisaurus

« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2007, 04:28:40 PM »

I am indeed...it is pricey, but I just gotta have it!

Sometimes if an item is out of print, like a music folio, and I know someone else who would like it, we combine funds to buy it and one of us will then copy it for the other. Since it's out of print I don't feel bad about it.

Edisaurus

« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2007, 04:31:04 PM »

Vixmom, TPunk and Rodzinski appear not to have opened up the PM'S I sent them regarding brunch this Sunday.  
Update:  I reached vixmom by phone, and she's going to check her schedule, goiven that it's Palm Sunday.  (Thought I had Antonia and Tom's number somewhere, but I guess not.)

Thanks, FJL! I sent them a postcard which they should get in a day or two, so maybe we'll hear from them...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up