Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMAGINE MY SURPRISE  (Read 32541 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:IMAGINE MY SURPRISE
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2004, 03:43:47 PM »

LOL present company excepted of course....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2004, 04:08:42 PM »

Dan (the Man) I have read of that favorite Eskimo treat, made with whale fat or something comparable.

We have a friend, who's from a conservative Jewish family, who married an Inuit. Esther had never dated a Jewish guy, so when she announced to her family that she was engaged to Dave Rubin (yes, that was his name), they were thrilled, at least for the moment. After the wedding, Esther went to the Arctic to meet her in-laws. She said she was able to eat everything they served her, with one exception: eggs fried in blubber.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2004, 04:10:25 PM »

Ah okay it's NEXT thursday.

And I actually did look at the March calendar before posting. But I guess Echo's week long birthday listings confused me :)

btw, when is Echo's actual birthday? :)

LOL-on the 9th she will be nine.

Jennifer

« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2004, 04:12:03 PM »

Okay DR Jane: Then why does the calendar give her a birthday every day in March? :)

Danise

« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2004, 04:12:29 PM »

Good evening all!

Called Ticket Master today to ask if it were possible for them to call me when the ticket come on sale.  They said, “No” but I could sign on their website to have an e-mail sent.  I am considering doing that and using my work e-mail address.  I just want to check and make sure I can get my address off of the mailing list after I get the notice.

The lady I spoke with said they do handle tickets for the venue he’s going to be at.  That means  they WILL have tickets for sale for the concerts and she suggested I call them first thing on Monday because it is the beginning of a new month and their information is updated at that time.  

May is still a bit far out, time wise so they don’t have anything on it now.  Sigh.  

I’m attaching a picture of my new fish.  As you can see, he has a very dark face and that steel blue body.  He’s a very smart little fellow.  He already knows the bottle of food.  When I bring it out, he goes up and down the side of the tank to show he wants to be fed!

DR JMK–Thank you once again for the information about SLC.  I’ll be there about one on Thursday and will have all day Friday and Saturday to take a look around.  I am looking forward to it.  I would like to see the Planetarium that I think will only be a few blocks from the hotel.

DR Mbarnum: I ‘m glad your feeling a little better!  Being sick is never fun.  It was so cold here today.  I should have wore my coat but I used my leather jacket instead and I noticed this afternoon that my throat is slightly sore.  I took some aspirin.  I hope it will ward off anything that may be starting.

DR Robin, wow!  I’m sorry to hear about your accident.  I'm glad that you are better now and hope you continue to get better.  

DERBRUCER Said:

Re:MY USUAL SELF
« Reply #148 on: Yesterday at 08:53:25pm »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Danise on Yesterday at 08:06:54pm
Bought my Le Miz tickets today.  I'll get to see that the weekend after I come home from Utah.  

Remember to potty first! The first Act is a bladder buster!

I'll keep that in mind.  I don't want it to turn into Le Wizz!   ;D

The things I learn on this board.  I never would have guessed that Bruce was a "kempt" man!   :D

I believe I have a book to order.  Be back later.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 04:20:13 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2004, 04:14:20 PM »

Now I did not say that I cheered at each reinvention of Shakespeare (having personally endured Christopher Walken's gold lame Hamlet), but rather the critics seem to cheer.  Some of these attempts work better than others.  As George would agree, the rock 'n roll Twelfth Night is a wonderful show.  Some others I have been involved with, The Tempest set in the Louisiana bayou, just don't seem to work at all.  At the same time, nobody is going to complain that the choreography in a new production of Romeo and Juliet is wrong, because it isn't Bill Shakespeare's original design.  So why should every new Fiddler have to pay hommage to Mr. Robbins?

I don't think that they pay homage to Robbins, but for other Jerome Robbins shows (WSS & Gypsy), you either HAVE to do his choreography or it's at least notated and available (for unimaginitive directors) to do.  Just about any other show (IMLE..."In My Limited Experience" in Internet lingo) allows directors, producers and choreographers to do whatever the hell they want with the staging and/or choreography.  It engenders the (limiting) mindset that certain shows can only be done certain ways.

And yes, R&R 12th Night is wonderful! ;D

As most if not all of the reviews have stated, the revival uses Robbins original choreography because the Robbins' estate mandates that you do.  When this Fiddler was first being discussed, the whole Robbins choreography requirement was a major issue.  So much so, that, if I'm remembering correctly, if Jerome Robbins' original choreography was not used, the Robbins Rights Trust could have essentially issued a cease and desist order on the revival.  Thus, the dances are credited to Jerome Robbins, while the "Musical Staging" is credited to Jonathan Butterell.

-Now, I have to wonder, if the producers were ever given the option of not using - or even acknowledging - Robbins' original direction and staging - in exchange for a fee of some sort?  Well, most likely a very high monetary figure.  -Anyone know if it is possible to not use Robbins' original choreography for a major professional revival?

So... Besides what seems to be a major case of miscasting of Tevye, I also have to wonder just how constrained the director, David Leveaux, really felt during the rehearsal process - with the Robbins Rights Trust most likely looking over his shoulder the whole time.  From what I can gather from both reviews and from comments from some friends of mine who saw the show in previews, they actually think Mr. Leveaux's more naturalistic approach could have worked if he would have been allowed to carry that concept all the way through, and apply it to every aspect of the show - including the musical staging/choreography.  If he had been allowed to completely rethink the show.

*There was an article in yesterday's NY Times about how Mr. Leveaux and Mr. Butterell have adapted and modified the Robbins' staging.  -And it's still up for your reading pleasure on the new Theater page.  So...

...Well, I think I made my point... If not, in short:
If the Robbins Rights Trust was not a part of the picture, could this revival of Fiddler have been better - or even worse - than it currently is being reviewed as being?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2004, 04:19:15 PM »

DR Robin Anderson - Many, many Good Vibes being sent your way.

-Or should I send Excedrin Vibes? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2004, 04:21:26 PM »

DR WFO - I'm with Jane here... Peanut Butter, Butter... and Onions?!?!?!

Although, that combination actually seems kind of Thai or even African, Ethiopian... SO.. hmm...

???
:X
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2004, 04:22:30 PM »

LOOK WHAT I FOUND//////////////

The Lost Bruce Kimmel show

If I Had a Million

Comedy, 52min

Ruth McDevitt, John Schuck, Joseph Wiseman Bruce Kimmel Peter Kastner

This multiplotted (and unsold) TV pilot was inspired by the classic 1932 film of the same name. Like the earlier film, the various storylines are sparked by a wealthy philanthropist (Peter Kastner) who chooses names at random from a phone book, then bestows one million tax-free dollars upon those chosen. Also like the 1932 picture, each of the four short playlets are scripted by four different writers (or writing teams). In one episode, a syndicate chauffeur (John Schuck) is afraid to tell his suspicious mob employers that he's come into money. In another episode, an old lady (Ruth McDevitt) breaks away from her selfish family to find romance. In still another episode, Ken Mars doesn't know whether to share his good fortune with his wife or his mistress. The last installment, titled "First the Tube, and Now You Darling", stars perennial game show contestant Brett Somers as the lucky (?) recipient. If I Had a Million ran only one hour, thus it hasn't made the syndication rounds as a TV movie. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2004, 04:22:57 PM »

DR Danise - Love the new fish!  Thanks for the pic!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2004, 04:27:42 PM »

TCB I’m embarrassed to say I’m not familiar with Pat Patton, by name anyway.  Tell me more.

CharlesPogue evil cats do go on forever-LOL.  I have known several blind dogs that have done just fine.  Hopefully Cully will be one of those dogs.

I have always had to make a decision with my pets.  Considering how many pets I have had over the years it is rather strange none of them went naturally.  If I follow my heart and hold them in my arms it makes the decision easier.  I do remember one of our son’s gerbils died naturally.  That was easier but an absolute shock.

MBarnum peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches. Yuck!  I believe you are all having fun today at my expense. :D

Jennifer awhile back I mentioned this needs to be corrected.  Ask the question to the person in charge of our calendar.

Danise your fish is very pretty.  Good luck with the tickets.

Danise

« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2004, 04:30:10 PM »

Thanks, Jose!  The picture looks better when it's bigger.  I LOVE my camera because it has a setting that allows me to take pictures of fish in a tank.  

How's the diet going?  I'm really starting to see results.  When I'm not losing weight, I'm seeing inches melt off.  My face seems to be where I notice it the most.  

I caught a half look of myself in the mirror the other day and couldn't believe the change.

If I had known it would be this easy, I would have done it a long time ago.  

I've never heard of what your doing, Bruce.  What kind of diet is it?

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2004, 04:35:53 PM »

DR Danise - Part 2 - Diet Update... Well, it's going... Somedays better than other.  However, I can already tell that my running and Pilates this week - as well as my 100+ crunches a day - have already had some positive results.  So... :)

-And we're due for a some unseasonably warm days this weekend... More running and walking weather!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2004, 04:37:48 PM »

Danise:  That photo looks like an exotic orchid, not a fish!  

LOL!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2004, 04:38:02 PM »

Here's Michael's next challenge - the name of the pilot I did with George Kennedy and Anne Schedeen for CBS.  I can never remember the name of it.  It was created by Elliot Schoenman who would later create Cosby, directed by Charles Dubin.  I played Kennedy's son.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2004, 04:38:04 PM »

Re:  Peter Kastner!!  Does anyone remember his short-lived sitcom The Ugliest Girl in the World?  He cross-dressed and became a famous fashion model.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2004, 04:39:17 PM »

I was making Echo her daily peanut butter on matzo sandwich with a Glucosamine pill in the middle when Keith reminded me of a childhood favorite of his-peanut butter & fried salami.  For an extra special treat he added jelly.  All this after dinner & his parents had left the house.  BTW he was a real tub!  He still eats very strange combos in front of me but they are all healthy ones. :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2004, 04:39:37 PM »

OH!  And I just remembered the Ella Fitzgerald I thought I was thinking of... It wasn't "Imagination My Surprise", but "Imagine My Frustration".  -And, yes, it's a Duke Ellington song, and it appears on one of those "rare" Cote D'Azur concert recordings that were released a few years ago.  There is some great material on those CDs - as well as some songs that never recorded elsewhere.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2004, 04:39:44 PM »

Danise:  Yes, if you're going to be downtown, the Planetarium is mine, all mine--no wait, I was channeling Charity Hope Valentine for a moment.  Anyway, it's right there--I think on either Main or State.  There are a lot of really neat places you can visit right in the downtown core.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2004, 04:40:09 PM »

Re:  Peter Kastner!!  Does anyone remember his short-lived sitcom The Ugliest Girl in the World?  He cross-dressed and became a famous fashion model.

Yes!  ;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2004, 04:41:33 PM »

Feel better, DR Robin!

Thanks so much for posting the picture Jrand 53.

My birthday is in March, Jennifer. Next week, actually.

As for the Debbie R. picture. It was taken on the set of GIFT OF LOVE,  a Showtime movie I wrote, 1999, I think, directed by John Korty, score Lee Holdridge. Not a masterpiece, but not bad. Miss R. was nominated for an Emmy.The beginning sucks, so if you can get past that...

I have something interesting to add about the film, but the wonderdog needs to be taken for his post-dinner walk. I'll be back shortly.

Jed

« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2004, 04:44:30 PM »

HHW has once again made my eating decisions for me.  After the talk of them today, I just had a lovely peanut butter and onion sandwich! :D  And, yes, butter too... most always butter on my pb sandwiches.  
Not quite brave enough to try MBarnum's PB & mayo yet...  :-\
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2004, 04:52:36 PM »

HHW has once again made my eating decisions for me.  After the talk of them today, I just had a lovely peanut butter and onion sandwich! :D  And, yes, butter too... most always butter on my pb sandwiches.  
Not quite brave enough to try MBarnum's PB & mayo yet...  :-\

Right...cause 'mayo' is a big YUCK when you think of peanut butter with onion....!

But try peanut butter, mayo and banana!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2004, 04:56:27 PM »

Thanks, Jane.  I thought he was very unusal compared to the greens/blues that most everyone has.  I've seen one with such a dark face.

Now that I relooked at the picture, RLP, he does look like an orchid!  His tail is much longer then my first fish and when he swims, he looks like a ribbon.  

I ordered my copy of Kritzer Time.  I hope I have it in time to take with me on the plane for SLC.  I'm going to need something to read/do for all those hours on the plane.

I haven't flown since my Dad passed away and that was only about 2 hours.   I hope I don't get air sick.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2004, 05:02:39 PM »

Ohh...

Good Afternoon!

I saw In America again this afternoon.. And cried again this afternoon.  -I think I got out the tears I held in the first time.  Much better now. ;)

While standing in line to purchase my ticket, there was a woman on her cell phone at one of the two working ticket windows.  *The other "window" was in the process of rebooting his computer, so...  She was in line to purchase tickets to The Passion of the Christ.  For her and two of her friends.  One of those friends was on the other end of her cell phone call.

-about 8 people in back of her in line.

"Oh, I just heard the guy say that the 3:30 was sold out to the lady in front of me.. Do you want to go to the 7:00?"

-3 more people in line behind her

"Oh, he just said the 7:00 is sold out... How about the 7:30?"

-2 more people in line behind her

"Oh, that might work out... OK.. Yeah... don't worry, I'll hold while you check with your sister.."

-a group starts coming through the doors

"OH!! Hold on - the guy just said that there are tickets available for the 3:30 show... He was talking about the 3:00 show.  I didn't realize they were showing it at two theatres here in this complex...  So, will that be OK?  -Yeah, I know I was running late... I meant to get here earlier, but just had too many things to do.. Oh, OK.. 3:30?  That's good, then?  Really?  And you're sister can make it too?  OK.  Good... I'm sooo happy we can all see the movie together..."

-There are about 25 people in line... however, two other ticket windows just opened...

"Oh... yeah, I can just come by and pick you guys up after I drop the kids off... Sure, no problem..."

-closes up her cell phone

"OK - I'll take 3 for the 3:30 show of "Passions"..."

AARGGHHH!!!

*And the exasperated look on the poor clerk's face was priceless...  Everytime the lady started a new thought, it looked like she was going to step away from the window in order to let someone else in front of her... But, nooo...

Oh, and then to top it all off... She paid for her tickets with a credit card... but then had to remember/decide which card to use for her "entertainment" purposes.

At least I showed up early for the movie.

And I still had a good cry.  Again. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2004, 05:03:54 PM »

-WOW, I just had another mini-frenzy!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2004, 05:07:52 PM »

LOOK WHAT I FOUND//////////////

The Lost Bruce Kimmel show

If I Had a Million

Comedy, 52min

Ruth McDevitt, John Schuck, Joseph Wiseman Bruce Kimmel Peter Kastner

OH, cool! Now that is one I would love to see. I loved the original movie!!! We must find out which part BK was in!

BK, do you recall working with Ruth McDevitt at all? I just adored her!

And as for the other unknown show you mention, BK, what do you remember about Anne Schedeen? I like her as well!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2004, 05:09:36 PM »

a trivia question. Name the show that features the flattering lyric:

"You're packed as solid as a knish."

It's a Bird... It's a Plane... It's SUPERMAN

from the song "You're the Woman for the Man Who Has Everything" lyric by Lee Adams; music by Charles Strouse.

I often recommend it to baritones.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 05:12:05 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jed

« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2004, 05:13:40 PM »

Right...cause 'mayo' is a big YUCK when you think of peanut butter with onion....!

Ha!  Point well taken, Ron.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2004, 05:15:53 PM »

You're right. You're good, Noel.

(I saw the show shortly after it opened and remember a lyric that, although true to the sleezy character played by Jack Cassidy, was racist. They must have cut it early on. It's not on the album, but one can tell from the rhyme scheme that it was replaced.)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up