Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: GETTING KEMPT  (Read 56735 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:GETTING KEMPT
« Reply #270 on: April 12, 2007, 03:26:11 PM »

It would probably be best if the director/choreography was in on the casting.  Did you tell Mr Ian you were a close friend of Mr John Kander?  My impression is that Mr Ian would have answered: "Who?"  ::)

Actually, from what I've heard and played, it seems like the upcoming revival is leaning toward the spirit of the original production even though the movies songs are being interpolated.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #271 on: April 12, 2007, 03:27:50 PM »

DR singdaw - You're very welcome.  I'm more than happy to spread the gospel of Levain.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #272 on: April 12, 2007, 03:30:27 PM »

DR Cason - Any chance that your proposed trip to NYC would bring you here in mid-May?  I'll send you more details as I get them.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #273 on: April 12, 2007, 03:31:56 PM »

And now that I'm all caught up, I believe I'm gonna take a little cat nap in in the green room before the show tonight.  -Or just walk down to Starbucks.  *Thankfull, I don't start until 11:00 tomorrow morning! :)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #274 on: April 12, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »

Well, Variety is reporting:

Rob Marshall will direct a feature version of the stage hit "Nine" for the
Weinstein Co.  It marks the first time that Marshall and Harvey Weinstein
have joined forces since "Chicago," the 2002 Miramax musical which won six Oscars, including best picture.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #275 on: April 12, 2007, 03:32:58 PM »

Taking notes for Mr John Kander is a once in a lifetime opportunity!  I am proud to know DR JOSE!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #276 on: April 12, 2007, 03:34:31 PM »

Saw another photo of Johnny Depp in his Sweeney drag today.  Very fun!

MBarnum

« Reply #277 on: April 12, 2007, 03:41:40 PM »

Maybe you need to be over 60 and remember the FLower Power Days with affection:
I like American Pie, MacArthur Park, A Whiter Shade Of Pale, Spill The Wine and Chick-a-Boom.  They are just surrealist pop.

I have a great love of the Flower Power type of songs, in fact that is one of my favorite era/type of song...such as:

Mr Tamborine Man - Byrds

Happy Together - Turtles

Incense And Peppermints - Strawberry Alarm Clock

Monday Monday - Spany & Our Gang

San Francisco Nights - Animals

Turn Turn Turn (To Everything There Is A Season) - Byrds

She's Not There - Zombies

Time Of The Season - The Zombies

Oh Happy Day - Hawkins, Edwin

etc, etc, etc.

I don't dislike MacArther Park. I have heard some version of it that I rather enjoyed. The version that was a hit is not my favorite version.

American Pie just annoys me for some reason and as soon as it starts to play I switch the channel. It never seemed like a "flower power" type song to me, however...maybe it is because it doesn't bring out the love and happiness in me when I hear it! LOL!

Whiter Shade of Pale is certainly in that hippie love catogory..but it is sadly an immediate channel changer for me, also...to my ears it just seems so unpleasant. I don't know why.

So thems my feelings on the topic. And no one has ever accused me of having good taste in music...so.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #278 on: April 12, 2007, 03:42:07 PM »

Actually, from what I've heard and played, it seems like the upcoming revival is leaning toward the spirit of the original production even though the movies songs are being interpolated.

Well you know what they say about washing garbage.  8)

Do, DR JOSE, is DR SINGDAW a blond?   :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #279 on: April 12, 2007, 03:48:53 PM »

I remember it being shown on HBO and maybe even A&E at one point and time.  All I seem to recall right now is the laser effect for Nimue and the Intermission graphic.   ???
Graphic intermissions with gals named Nimue are always...

Uh, wait, this is a family site.  Sorry.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »

And here I thought the video of the book banning would be the talk of the town.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #281 on: April 12, 2007, 03:49:15 PM »

I can see my avatar - I checked a box that said something about uploading my own photo - did I need to do something else?  Someone help, please.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #282 on: April 12, 2007, 03:51:03 PM »

Ah, I think I solved it - can you see it now?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #283 on: April 12, 2007, 03:51:38 PM »

The soup is on the simmer.  I'll let it cool down a bit before whirring it in the blender and putting it in the chill chest.

In the meantime, the weather has turned again.  I went outside to dump the trash, and we were getting sprinkles.  Now we're getting thunder.  Marty, of the sensitive ears, is not pleased.  In fact, he'd like to climb in my lap right now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #284 on: April 12, 2007, 03:52:10 PM »

I'm up to about page 160 in the proofing.  Still finding little typos and such, and repetion of phrases or words that I didn't remember I'd already used - so, I'm fixing all that stuff, which is easy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #285 on: April 12, 2007, 03:53:50 PM »

Your avatar looks fine, esteemed BK, and you look fine in it, very kempt and buffed.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #286 on: April 12, 2007, 03:58:40 PM »

Esteemed BK, I know you don't like this, but could you please hire a professional editor, someone who is hired to catch those pesky typos and repetitions?  Not someone who is going to criticize or make suggestions as to your writing, but to catch the flubs like I almost just made when I almost wrote riting instead of writing just now.  They don't bother me, but you probably remember how nitpicky der Brucer got with the release of Writer's Block.  I don't want to go through that nonsense again.

Really.  I really don't.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2007, 04:03:23 PM »

DR Cason - Any chance that your proposed trip to NYC would bring you here in mid-May?  I'll send you more details as I get them.

Very, very possibly actually.  Even things that I am auditioning for this weekend wouldn't start up until later into May/early June anyway.  

And in fact, our EverLovinHeather is coming out to the City in mid-May with her fam as her graduation trip.  How convenient if that could all work out to be the same time...
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #288 on: April 12, 2007, 04:10:36 PM »

I'm still catching up, just finished yesterday's notes, and the note that the great Roscoe Lee Browne's passing.  He had one of the most fantastic voices, resonant and powerful.  His narration of Babe, in particular, was a key to that movie's success, so warm, generous, and willing to tweek the story every once in a while.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #289 on: April 12, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »

I need to check on the soup.

(I almost typoed that as soupl.  Which is silly, because a soupl would be a cup of soup for two, which would be awkward because the two spoons would constantly be clanking against each other.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #290 on: April 12, 2007, 04:16:41 PM »

Soup is fine, I've taken it off the heat.

It's not a true vichyssoise.  I've added mushrooms and thyme.  But I've basically followed Joy of Cooking this time.

It's so nice to have a cookbook around the house.

Ginny

« Reply #291 on: April 12, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »

Thursday evening greetings!  My trip to Lima (OH) and back went smoothly, but it was very windy and there were a lot of trucks on the highway.  My presentation to the Lima Region Development Professionals' Roundtable was well-received and in my pre-conference pow-wow we both agreed that it's time to do this event and get it overwith!

Thanks for all the vibes for DH Richard, especially from DRs FJL, TCB, Edisaurus, Dan(the Man), JRand, Tomovoz, Jose, and Cillaliz.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #292 on: April 12, 2007, 04:29:49 PM »

I wonder if they're going to keep the original lyrics:

You know that it ain't sh*t
We'll be gettin' lots of t*t

and

You know that I ain't braggin'
She's a real p*ssy wagon

or something like that. ;)

In the Rosie O'Donnell revival, they sang She's a real dragon wagon. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #293 on: April 12, 2007, 04:31:57 PM »

Grease Lightnin'?
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #294 on: April 12, 2007, 04:32:55 PM »

I still cannot see the new picture of Bruce... :(
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2007, 04:35:51 PM »

Nor can I, Miss Patti...

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2007, 04:36:11 PM »

Speaking of seeing people, do I get to see you tonight at Merissa's run-through?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #297 on: April 12, 2007, 04:38:42 PM »

A uqestion to the very knowledgeable stage fanatics at HHW:

Why didn't they make a cast recording of the musical version of GONE WITH THE WIND during its one year London run? With June Ritchie and Harve Presnell in the leads, it would have been glorious to listen to.

They did do a cast recording of GONE WITH THE WIND.  I know Harve Presnell was on it, but I don't know (or care) about the female lead.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 05:29:37 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #298 on: April 12, 2007, 04:42:02 PM »

American Pie just annoys me for some reason and as soon as it starts to play I switch the channel. It never seemed like a "flower power" type song to me, however...maybe it is because it doesn't bring out the love and happiness in me when I hear it! LOL!

I'll jump in here, DR MBarnum.  I love "American Pie," one of the most wonderfully textured lyrics ever written to a great rockin' tune.  I think it's amazing with its double and triple layers of meaning, and I think it captures the zeitgeist of the late 60s and early 70s better than almost anything except the original FOLLIES show poster.

It never fails; I fly and get sick.  I'm glad the nausea waiteda day to let me accomplish my tax returns.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #299 on: April 12, 2007, 04:42:15 PM »

I can't see BK either
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Up