Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNSEEMLY RESIDUE  (Read 62768 times)

FJL

Re:THE UNSEEMLY RESIDUE
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2007, 11:53:15 AM »

Reports are that Kitty Carlisle Hart has passed away.  But I can't find any official obits.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:54:12 AM by FJL »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2007, 11:53:37 AM »

Back from shipping.  Post office was empty, so that was good.

FJL

« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2007, 11:55:40 AM »

Just found this obit on Playbill.  

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107436.html

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2007, 11:59:04 AM »

;D ;D

I think DR elmore3003 would now make some comment about Dr. Hunk's being a little bit young for you???    ;)

DR MBarnum will just stalk him till he's the right age, somewhere between 70 and death.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2007, 11:59:36 AM »

Dear DR BrettySpaghetti,

Thank you for that wonderful introduction of yourself!

Now for the important issues:
1. What pets do you have? Names and breeds, please.
2. What do you think about Sanjaya  ;)
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2007, 12:01:17 PM »

Excellent! I've never even met anybody else who even knew about Romance/Romance. I prefer the first Romance story, especially the songs "Yes It's Love," "It's Not Too Late" and "The Little Comedy." Alison Fraser and Scott Bakula do such a great job on this!

And speaking of Alison......She was wonderful in the off-Broadway Up Against It. I bet I'm the only person here who saw that one!

Yes, the first story is the better of the two. I did not see Up Against It but I'm reading her bio page on her Web site. Sounds like quite a project.

I LOVED her in March of the Falsettos

And here is her Web page for those interested.

Alison Fraser

Miss Karen

« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2007, 12:02:41 PM »

I am a huge fan of musical theater, but was tragically born heterosexual.

Welcome DR Braghetti! That's okay, us heteros aren't discriminated against here on HHW, actually embraced with love (you'll see these alot  :-* and  :o), and wit, and clever innuendo and double entendre (you open the door... Pounce!), and news and musings about all sorts of stuff. You'll find these HHWers very entertaining -- and rather addictive.  

HHW definition number one -- DR is for Dear Reader, not doctor...(there is no HHW manual for newbies -- at least I never got a copy -- it's learn as you go along)...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:07:32 PM by Miss Karen »

Ben

« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »

Miss Kitty Carlisle Hart had a long and wonderful life! She will be missed but she was a treasure while she was here.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2007, 12:03:54 PM »

Newbie here.

Dunno how this all works yet, but happy to be registered.

Hi, Amy.

Hi, Bruce.

Brett

Welcome, Brett.  DR Sandra will want to know if you like Cherry Coke and DR MBarnum will want to know if you're a body builder.  If the answer to either is yes, run for your life now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2007, 12:04:27 PM »

Newbie here.

Dunno how this all works yet, but happy to be registered.

Hi, Amy.

Hi, Bruce.

Brett

Welcome, BrettySpaghetti!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2007, 12:05:59 PM »

DR Jane - So nice to have you back!  Glad the reunion was such a success.

How did DH Keith and DD Sherlock survive without you??

Thank you, it's good to be back.

As for Keith.  It was soooo hard for him to miss our reunion.  To make it more difficult, the phone company was having problems due to our new DSL service.  So he finally had a fast internet connection but couldn't talk consistently on the phone.

I went to the reunion to help set up & make the flower arrangements.  When I walked in and saw the juke box I remembered there were songs in there I had requested, songs that are special to Keith & me.  When CHERISH came on I called Keith all weepy & missing him, only the phone wouldn’t work again. :(

singdaw

« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »

The first review is up, and it's mixed:

All About Us

(Westport Country Playhouse, Westport, Conn.; 575 seats; $60 top)

By FRANK RIZZO

A Westport Country Playhouse presentation in association with Jacki
Barlia-Florin of a musical in one act with music by John Kander, lyrics by
Fred Ebb, book by Joseph Stein, based on Thornton Wilder's "The Skin of Our Teeth." Directed by Gabriel Barre. Music director, Patrick Vaccariello. Choreography, Christopher Gattelli.

George Antrobus - Shuler Hensley
Maggie Antrobus - Yvette Freeman
Sabina Fairweather - Cady Huffman.
Esmeralda - Eartha Kitt
Henry - Carlo Alban
Gladys - Samantha Futerman
Stage Manager - Tony Freeman
Mammoth No. 1 - Eric Michael Gillett
Mammoth No. 2 - Drew Taylor
Telegram Boy - David Standish
Socrates, Announcer - Daniel Marcus
Plato - Michael Thomas Holmes
Homer - Frank Vlastnik
Moses - Michael James Leslie
Cleopatra - J. Elaine Marcos
Helen - Sally Ann Tumas
Joan - Rachelle Rak

Like the Antrobus family that survives one disaster after another only to
start again with renewed optimism, so goes "All About Us," John Kander and Fred Ebb's musical based on Thornton Wilder's "The Skin of Our Teeth." While this latest version of the 1942 Pulitzer Prize-winning work may be more true to the playwright's original text, a satisfying musical whole still proves elusive and -- as Sabina, the story's eternal domestic goddess would say -- remains at "sixes and sevens."

Originally called "Over and Over," which lived and died at Virginia's
Signature Theater in 1999, the show has weathered a series of revisions, workshops and title changes. If it survives this latest incarnation (the not-for-profit Westport Country Playhouse has commercial enhancement in place and transfer hopes), it will be by the skin of its teeth. A lot of work still has to be done.

The approaching Ice Age notwithstanding, Gabriel Barre's production has
trouble warming up. Indeed, this long, intermissionless version misses its musical spurs, not to mention its center. What seems most lacking is the kind of opener that might place the show in a wilder Wilder world, embracing the writer's deconstructionism and epic themes with joyous abandon. There's nothing here to prep the audience for the show's strange musical journey.

One longs for a Kander and Ebb number that would pull it all together before setting things loose in the story's crazy, loving way. Similarly absent is a closing number that's more of a wow than a wink.

Instead, what you have is a well-crafted edit of the three-act play by
theater vet Joseph Stein, with a series of numbers -- some better than
others -- mixed in with performances still searching for their characters or confidence.

As Mr. Antrobus, head of the First Family of Man, Shuler Hensley has rugged looks and gravitas but lacks the humor, heart and intellectual curiosity to lead humankind's survival. (This eternal Adam musters some enthusiasm in "The Wheel," but the song about his latest invention fails to get much traction.) As Mrs. A., Yvette Freeman variously frets, nags and nervously nurtures. Cady Huffman has potential to be a splendid Sabina, the Antrobuses' overheated dish of a maid (and civilization's femme fatale), but her character doesn't come into its own until later in the show.

You know you're in trouble when some of the most memorable numbers are performed by supporting characters or extinct animals. The Mammoths (Eric Michael Gillett and Drew Taylor) have a cozy number called "Warm." "Nice People," chillingly sung by troubled son Henry (sharply played by Carlo Alban), shows the songwriting team at its fiercest. And when after the first act, a quartet of actors (Michael Thomas Holmes, Frank Vlastnik, Michael James Leslie and Daniel Marcus) step out of their minor roles to sing the playful "The Discussion" -- about how they don't "get" what the show is all about -- you could feel the audience rise to the neat trick of the song, and the challenge.

Things improve when the musical fast-forwards to the Mammals' Convention at Atlantic City.

Looking like a sparrow who just swallowed a hawk, Eartha Kitt as Esmeralda, the Fortune Teller, brings her own brand of other-world charisma to the stage. She casts an eccentric spell in "Rain," forecasting civilization's wet doom. Mr. Antrobus may have invented the alphabet but Kitt owns all the letters as she purrs out vowels, stretches out syllables and spits out consonants with diva authority, finally giving the show some kick and surreal authenticity.

She also allows for some of the show's sharpest writing. When Sabina asks Esmeralda for her fortune, Kitt answers with a delivery than comes from eons of experience: "You're a woman and you're poor. You have no fortune."

This second part also shows off Sabina to a greater degree. Huffman rises to the occasion as a beauty contestant at the convention, scoring in a sideshow of a song called "World Peace" and in the seductive "You Owe It To Yourself," which brings out K&E's naughtiness.

However, Mrs. Antrobus' big number, "He Always Comes Home to Me," evokes a darker version of a tune from "Dance a Little Closer," a show that also tried and failed to musicalize an end-of-the-world play, "Idiot's Delight."  Several other songs ("When Poppa Comes Home," "Lullaby") feel as if they should have more emotional or narrative weight, but don't.

Stein's script has some insider fun with Wilder's Fourth Wall-busting
moments, with the actors stepping out of characters as themselves ("Why can't we have musicals like we used to?" asks Cady/Sabina) as an exasperated stage manager (Tony Freeman) tries to hold the show together with pleas and firepower amid the chaos. ("Who's the Equity Deputy on this show?")

But too often the freewheeling narrative rushes at warp speed, careening from whimsical to profound without giving key moments (Mr. A.'s decision to keep the fire lit, his infidelity with Sabina, the pregnancy of daughter Gladys) their emotional or logical (even in a Wilder sense) due. The character of Gladys (Samantha Futerman) is especially sketchy.

For the musical's last section, world war emerges as the latest catastrophe, with bad seed son Henry (read Cain) heading the forces of evil and confronting his father. Amid these final conflicts, Stein merges with Wilder for some philosophical musings but the climax still is wanting. Whether it's because of Hensley's over-emotive delivery or the song itself, what should be the show's anthem of human resiliance, "The Skin of Our Teeth," fails to land effectively.

As in the play, the last word goes to Sabina who, at the end of the day,
prefers to go to the movies during a break from the ongoing apocalypse. If only there were enough on stage to compel her to stay.

Sets, James Youmans; costumes, Ann Hould-Ward; lighting, Ken Billington; sound, Brian Ronan; orchestrations, William David Brohn, Michael Gibson; production stage manager, Bess Marie Glorioso. Opened, reviewed April 14, 2007. Runs through April 28. Running time: 2 HOURS, 10 MIN.

Musical numbers: "Eat the Ice Cream," "Sabina!," "A Telegram," "We're Home," "The Wheel," "Warm," "A Whole Lot of Lovin'!," "When Poppa Comes Home," "Save the Human Race," "A Discussion, Rain," "Beauty Pageant," "World Peace," "He Always Comes to Me," "You Owe It To Yourself," "Nice People," "The Promise," "Military an," "Lullaby," "Another Telegram," "The Skin of Our Teeth," "At the Rialto."

George

« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2007, 12:07:25 PM »

Welcome back, Jane!  Glad to hear that you had a grand time at your reunion...for the most part! ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:13:32 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2007, 12:07:39 PM »

A CALL TO ACTION
Time to re-evaluate U.S. Involvement

Every day there are news reports of more deaths!  Why are we still there?

We see images of death and destruction on TV every night!  Why are we still there?

We took this land by force. We occupied it. It causes us nothing but trouble!  Why are we still there?

Many of our children go there but never come back!  Why are we still there?

Murderers, Rapists, Pedophiles and Thugs enjoy celebrity status!  Why are we still there?

Their government is unstable!  Why are we still there?

Many of their people are uncivilized!  Why are we still there?

Their land is subject to natural disasters and we are obliged to come to their aid!  Why are we still there?

They have more than 1000 religious sects which we do not understand!  Why are we still there?

Their cultures, foods and diverse ways of life are unfathomable to most ordinary Americans! Why are we still there?

They cannot secure their borders!  Why are we still there?

They are billions of dollars in debt and it will cost billions more to rebuild!  Why are we still there?

It is now quite clear.......................

[GO TO NEXT POST]

der Brucer
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:08:53 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »

WE   MUST   PULL   OUT    OF   CALIFORNIA!    NOW!!!

Jane

« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2007, 12:08:06 PM »

Bretty-My reunion wasn’t far from where you work, at the UCLA Faculty Center.  Keith, my husband and high school classmate, went to Hamilton over on Robertson Blvd.  Are you originally from the area?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »

DR Jane, I was in LA over the weekend. BK and Adriana and I had pancakes at DuPars. I'm sorry you couldn't join us.

George

« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2007, 12:09:07 PM »

I too love Romance, Romance. I wasn't able to see the Paper Mill production but I do have the CD (out of print and hard to find) and I listen often.

I don't have Doonesbury but I do have the re-do of Jeeves.

Did you (or anyone) see Romance/Romance on A&E years ago...when they did such things??  I taped it, but I don't know exactly where the tape is.  I also love this show. :)

singdaw

« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »

And speaking of Alison......She was wonderful in the off-Broadway Up Against It. I bet I'm the only person here who saw that one!

Ooooooo!  Them's fightin' words!      :)

[I didn't see it.]

Jane

« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2007, 12:10:20 PM »

For anyone who doesn't know, DR JANE and I are about the same age, so I feel I can joke with her about our age.

Jokes aside, so many of the women from my class look great.  Our Penny O looked gorgeous.  And no, I'm sorry.  I didn't take a photo-darn.

Miss Karen

« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2007, 12:10:26 PM »

DR Jane ~ Glad you had a safe trip -- and hope you still had fun even though you missed your sweetie.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:16:06 PM by Miss Karen »

singdaw

« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2007, 12:12:12 PM »

Did you (or anyone) see Romance/Romance on A&E years ago...when they did such things??  I taped it, but I don't know exactly where the tape is.  I also love this show. :)

Yes, I have it also on a dusty VHS tape somewhere.  I seem to recall this production was slightly abridged?  Maybe not...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2007, 12:13:41 PM »

Reports are that Kitty Carlisle Hart has passed away.  But I can't find any official obits.

ASSOCICATED PRESS

Actress Kitty Carlisle Hart Dies at 96Wednesday, April 18, 2007

NEW YORK —

Kitty Carlisle Hart, whose long career spanned Broadway, opera, television and film, including the classic Marx Brothers movie "A Night at the Opera," has died at age 96, her son said Wednesday.

Christopher Hart said his mother had been in and out of the hospital since contracting pneumonia over the Christmas holidays.

"She passed away peacefully" at home, said Hart. "She had such a wonderful life, and a great long run, it was a blessing."

Hart had appeared for years on the popular game show "To Tell the Truth" as a celebrity panelist.

The entertainer was also a tireless advocate for the arts, serving 20 years on the New York State Council on the Arts. In 1991, she received the National Medal of Arts from the first President Bush.

Well known for her starring role as Rosa Castaldi in the 1935 movie "A Night at the Opera," her other film credits included: "She Loves Me Not" and "Here Is My Heart," both opposite Bing Crosby; Woody Allen's "Radio Days"; and "Six Degrees of Separation."

She began her acting career on Broadway in "Champagne Sec," and went on to appear in many other Broadway productions, including the 1984 revival of "On Your Toes."

She made her operatic debut at the Metropolitan Opera in 1967 in "Die Fledermaus," and created the role of Lucretia in the American premiere of Benjamin Britten's "Rape of Lucretia."

From 1956 to 1967, she appeared on the CBS prime-time game show "To Tell the Truth" with host Bud Collyer and fellow panelists such as Polly Bergen, Johnny Carson, Bill Cullen and Don Ameche. The show featured three contestants, all claiming to be the same person. The panelists asked them questions to determine which was telling the truth. (The popular show also had runs, sometimes including Carlisle, in daytime and in syndicated versions.)

Hart's late husband was the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Moss Hart, who wrote "You Can't Take It With You" and "The Man Who Came to Dinner" with George S. Kaufman and won a Tony for directing "My Fair Lady" on Broadway.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107436.html

Kitty was a wonderful lady and a bundle of energy.  She was always gracious and I liked her very much.

George

« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2007, 12:15:35 PM »

I'm at work in Beverly Hills. I work for Larry Flynt, but edit one of his two remaining "mainstream" interests, a powerboating magazine.

I am a huge fan of musical theater, but was tragically born heterosexual.

I became a BK fan when I discovered the Lost in Boston and Unsung Musicals series. It really deepened my appreciation of the musicals I love by hearing the great songs that got cut.

I love to discover new (to me) OCRs -- this week, I'm listening to Wonderful Town; recently I heard (and then saw) Honk. Next, I'm looking forward to hearing Fiorello, Is There Life After High School? and The Baker's Wife.

My favorite scores include Fiddler, Zorba, Oklahoma, Chess, Joseph, Music Man, West Side Story, Song & Dance, Flower Drum Song, Avenue Q, Wicked, Pippin and Godspell.

And my triumvirate of favorite "underappreciated" scores: Doonesbury, Romance/Romance, and Jeeves -- the original, not the redo. That may be my favorite music ever!

Brett

Hmmm...not a note of Sondheim in the bunch. ::)

;)

Jane

« Reply #235 on: April 18, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »

DR Ginny I am sorry to read of DH Richard’s surgery.  Best of vibes for a complete healing.

WELCOME BrettySpaghetti!  [/color] You have a nice face & I look forward to getting to know you.

Thanks George & Miss Karen.

DR Laura, I wish I had known, I might have been able to stop by for a few minutes.  I hope it wasn’t on Sunday morning.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2007, 12:17:56 PM »

Yes, the first story is the better of the two. I did not see Up Against It but I'm reading her bio page on her Web site. Sounds like quite a project.

I LOVED her in March of the Falsettos

And here is her Web page for those interested.

Alison Fraser

Alison used to be a neighbor on 82nd Street before she and her late husband Rusty McGee moved out of the City.  She was in the first showcase I did in 1985.  So was Jason Graae!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2007, 12:18:52 PM »

It WAS on Sunday morning!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »

Hmmm...not a note of Sondheim in the bunch. ::)

;)

Some of us admire Mr S but refuse to worship at the shrine of Our Savior of The Musical Theatre.

Jane

« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2007, 12:19:26 PM »

Saturday I had lunch with Keith’s aunt & cousin.  His mother was to have joined us but was waiting to have surgery, again, and wasn’t up to it.  Due to low potassium levels the surgery didn’t happen until 12:00AM this morning.  It’s nice she has a doctor that is a night owl.

Keith’s aunt and cousin will be going to NY soon and asked what plays they should get tickets to.  I said THE DROWSY CHAPERONE.  What else shall I suggest?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Up