Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERIOD THAT WENT AWRY  (Read 24507 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE PERIOD THAT WENT AWRY
« on: March 07, 2004, 12:01:12 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've seen the periods, you know the whole shocking story, so now it's time to post on a variety and also a hollywood reporter of topics.  Do your thing, peoples.  But do not do your thong, because we do not like THONGS here at haineshisway.com.  The Thong is Over but the melody lingers on.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 12:01:53 AM by bk »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THE PERIOD THAT WENT AWRY
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 12:08:53 AM »

A period gone awry is better than a period gone missing, I would think.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 12:11:57 AM »

Without a thong, the day would never end
Without a thong, the road would never have been
When things go wrong, a man ain't got a friend
Without a thong

That field of corn, would never see a plow
That field of corn, would be deserted now
A man is born, but he's no good no how
Without a thong

I've got my trouble and woe, but sure as I know
The Jordan will roll
I'll get along, as long as a thong
Is strung in my soul

I'll never know, what makes the rain to fall
I'll never know, what makes the grass so tall
I only know, there ain't no love at all
Without a thong

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 12:12:14 AM »

A period gone missing is very confusing indeed.  Even worse than a colon gone missing.

Jay

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 12:13:28 AM »

And on that silly note (C natural), to slumberland I go.

Jed

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 12:14:39 AM »

No Wussburger, I!  No, rather it's late-night denizen, I.  Just caught up on all of yesterday's lovely postings, for which I was E&T.  No particular reason for being E&T, just never did get online and catch up until nearly midnight.

Chat tonight sounds grand... I shall certainly try to be there!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 12:16:05 AM »

Try?  Only Wussburgers try.  True Hainsies/Kimlets are just THERE with no to do or ado.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 12:24:24 AM »

Wussburger wussburger
Make me a match
Find me a find
Catch me a catch...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 12:30:18 AM »

I have been having fun in the kitchen again.  To tell the truth, I've had fun in the kitchen twice in the last twelve hours.  WOO-HOO!!!!!

The first time was with the carrots I was serving as the veg with dinner.  Peeled carrots, sliced into rounds, dropped plopped into a coverable saute pan with some butter on a burner at medium.  Added some salt, ginger, garlic powder and red pepper flakes, stirred around while the butter melted.  Added some chicken stock (yeah, could have used veg stock), let simmer until the carrots were almost cooked through, then added some honey to the pot, stirred again, and let simmer uncovered while the liquid reduced.  Served this alongside leftover turkey and mashers with mushroom/onion gravy, made for a nice contrast with the rest.  And I must have done something right, because der Brucer didn't think I'd overdone the red pepper flakes!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004, 12:49:39 AM »

Then, after der Brucer tucked himself into bed, I set out to make some cookies.  I've got my Tollhouse recipe pretty well worked out, with my additions to the traditional batter on the Nestle bag (a half t cinnamon stirred in with the flour, two T molasses in with the creamed butter, vanilla and sugars).  But I've had a bag of white morsels in my cupboard for a while, and was trying to think of a way to use them.

The mad cookie cook in me emerged.

I calculated.  I came up with a plan.  It was too nefarious to resist.

I made...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]ALBINO TOLLHOUSE COOKIES!!!!![/size][/move]

bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Here's the idea: Basic Tollhouse cookies use a combination of white sugar and brown sugar.  Why?  Because brown sugar contains molasses!  That's why I've been adding more molasses, to make a softer cookie (something der B likes).  So, if I was going to use the white chips, it made sense to remove the molasses.  This meant replacing the brown sugar with more white sugar!  But, I still wanted that softer chew, so I replaced the molasses with another sugar: honey!  (I could have used corn syrup, but I didn't have any on hand.  So send me to prison and make me Martha's bitch, see if I care!)

The second change was in the spices.  I've been adding a half t cinnamon, which makes for a good background note, not so large to be noticable on it's own.  I kept that, but decided to also add a few shavings of fresh nutmeg.

The third change was the morsels and nuts.  White for the semi-sweet chocolate, easy enough exchange.  But the walnuts I've been using didn't seem right for this albino cookie.  I decided to try slivered almonds.

Everything else went the same as always.  I could have upped the vanilla, but didn't.

The results?  Not too bad.  The cookies are lighter in color than the traditional Tollhouse, of course.  I wonder if they might have been better tasting with less sugar, and more vanilla.  The one thing I would definately change is the almonds.  Slivered isn't right, somehow.  I think sliced almonds would be better.

Still, as experiments go, this one wasn't bad.  I wonder what the results would be like if I exchanged the white morsels with dried cranberries, or dried cherries.

But those experiments will have to wait for another day.  First...

I have to wash the mixing bowl.   :-\

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2004, 12:55:18 AM »

I love the way the house smells after I've been baking.

To tell the truth, I love the way it smells after I've been cooking.  But baking makes a house smell more loved in.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2004, 04:30:57 AM »

I am, of course, a bit worried to hear that BK missed his period, and is also having some problems with his colon.  I say, make a dash for it!  Could this have been caused by a recent interbang?  There's a bit of trivia.  Anyone remember the interbang?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Michael

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2004, 04:43:08 AM »

Our very own Jason Graae at the El Portal Theater in North Hollywood

« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 04:43:47 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2004, 04:45:19 AM »

Question:

The cabaret space in the Roosevelt Hotel and where Jason Graae cd was recorded is it pronounced the "Sign-Grill" or the "Cina-Grill"?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2004, 04:46:26 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong but the male gender at least to my knowledge has never had a period that went awry.
Never stop dreaming.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2004, 05:56:02 AM »

Hey, S. Woody! Now I need cookies! Damn you, Sir! Need cookies! And I agree - baking does make a house smell loved in.

Okay, so all night long, the Marathon dudes have been clunking around (my parents' house is right ON the route) with barricades and beeping and monitors and finally at 4 am I just friggin got up. We will watch the runners trudge up Sawyer Hill - oh, look -- a tow truck! --  and give water and a push to the wheelchair "runners" as they pass. Oh, it will be FUN! My mom is delighted to have some company to watch with.

Jenny: your review of City Opera's Sweeney was very perspicacious for someone your age! I must tell you, however, that Tim Nolen is actually quite a good actor. I had the great pleasure of playing opposite him in two of the most satisfying productions of Man of La Mancha I've ever done. That State Theater is such a barn that most of us just stand and yell. Hard to project any subtlety in a 3100 seat house... and the singing - well, they pay for LOUD there; "pretty" isn't really relevant... There is one optimum place to stand on that stage: way down right. I remember many Carmen's, when the whole large cast would sort of mosey down right, and crowd each other for the Sweet Spot; the European opera houses are much more gratifying, for size and accoustics. But in America, it's BIGGER is BETTER. All economics, I'm afraid.
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2004, 06:06:03 AM »

I have yet to see a period go awry.  With me, it's the plans that go awry, and this weekend's been unfortunately more awry than usual.  I'm licking wounds and waiting for the proverbial sunrise, but this of course could be fatigue from a sleepless night (no daily fight) after something went awry.  My feelings on City Opera's SWEENEY TODD, which I saw last night, are much kinder than Jenny's, and I enjoyed it very much.  I've known of several high school productions of it, and I'm still amazed that a high school teacher might attempt such a hard score with his/her high school singers.  I can't even imagine the horror of a high school orchestra trying to get through it.  Well, after seeing my 14 yr-old  goddaughter in GREASE, I'm amazed at a lot of high school theatre decisions!

So, my plans have gone awry again, dear BK's period is determined to stay awry, and I want to lodge a live chat complaint:  6 pm PST is horrible for this EST whiner, especially when your plans are awry:  tonight is the beginning of the new SOPRANOS season at 9:00 pm EST, or 6:00 pm PST, and I may have guests to watch it.  Well, since BK was bidin' time yesterday, I guess I'll have to follow his example today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2004, 06:24:53 AM »

So sorry to hear about Jenny's disappointment in SWEENEY TODD production.  Don't you hate it when that happens?  You're anticipating a wonderful evening....the lights go down and you hope it will be good....the orchestra starts the overture and you hope it will be good...and then the show stops and you just hope it will be over....

---a Walter Kerr reference.

With a thong in my heart
I behold your adorable face.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2004, 06:33:39 AM »

I cannot clear up the confusion about Myoshi Umeki's California Emmy Award....but I do know that as Nancy Umeki she was a popular band singer in Japan.  ;D

Perhaps her television show in California was a talk-sing type program that captured the imagination of the viewers, and of course Rodgers & Hammerstein.  

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2004, 06:42:00 AM »

DR PennyO (she of the Jewish thighs):  Oh, if you want cookies, my Internet Explorer has a whole folder full of them, most of which I don't want.  Why, oh tell me, don't they just have a "Accept Cookie:  Yes  No" pop-up?

Miyoshi Umeki:  I've searched and searched and can find no record of an Emmy.  Of course, the Emmy site tells me nothing but this year's awards and doesn't seem to have an archive.  The imdb does have and Emmy list, and she isn't there.  She is listed as for her Oscar, of course, and three Golden Globe nominations.  Curiously, I can't find a fan site, and the Nancy Kwan site doesn't have any links.  So who knows?

Anyway, here's her Time cover with Nancy, but Time doesn't seem to have an archive of the story, which would, presumably, have mentioned any Emmys.  
--Wayland Flowers

Jay

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2004, 06:42:02 AM »

Question:

The cabaret space in the Roosevelt Hotel and where Jason Graae cd was recorded is it pronounced the "Sign-Grill" or the "Cina-Grill"?

The latter.  Mr. Graae was having fun with the name.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2004, 06:54:48 AM »

DR WFO - the Time cover features Myoshi with her Broadway co-star Pat Suzuki.....Nancy Kwan played the role onscreen.... but then.....I am a Flower Drum Song fanatic!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 01:36:10 PM by JRand53 »

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2004, 07:00:22 AM »

Ooops!
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2004, 07:07:28 AM »

hehehehehe

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2004, 07:18:54 AM »

But I did find this:

The Donna Reed Show: "Aloha Kimi" (4.19 #132)
January 25, 1962. Stars: Donna Reed, Carol Betz, Shelley Fabares, Paul Peterson.  Guest cast: Miyoshi Umeki (Kimi), Susan Gordon (Penny, below), Betsy Jones Moreland (Janet Palmer), Crahan Denton (Dr. Kendall), James Douglas (Dr. Phillips). Alex flies to Honolulu to treat young Penny Palmer, the daughter of a family friend who has been injured in a surfing accident. Penny's doctors cannot understand why she remains paralyzed after an operation.

at http://www.robertarmin.com/susangordon/tv.htm
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 07:21:09 AM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2004, 07:27:35 AM »

In the first decade and a half of the Emmys, there were regional Emmy Awards given apart from the national awards, first just in LA and then spreading to NYC and Chicago. (This is still the case as local news channels can qualify and win regional Emmys).

The awards themselves were about half the size of a regular Emmy - like a miniature Emmy actually. Bette Davis won one of those a couple of decades before earning a national Emmy for STRANGERS: THE STORY OF A MOTHER AND DAUGHTER, and that's where I first saw what one of the regional awards looked like. In 1957, there were area awards for New York and Los Angeles. (Shari Lewis won the New York version of the Emmy Miyoshi won.)

So, she's an Emmy Award winner with an asterisk.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2004, 07:29:53 AM »

Won't be at chat tonight. ALIAS returns to the schedule with new episodes for the rest of the month, and they must be seen in high definition. Hope everyone who can attend enjoys the chat.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2004, 07:46:52 AM »

Oh, I just won the auction for a Guy Haines solo CD!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 07:47:58 AM by JRand53 »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2004, 07:55:15 AM »

Good morning. And let me just say that I resent being called a Wussburger - as I was last night -  when I'm not there to defend myself! :o
So, as bk and DRJenny, both of whom called me that WB thing, are not here at the moment to defend themselves, may I say that you are Wussburgers with hot mustard, lots of raw onions and no bun. So there!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 07:57:46 AM by Panni »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2004, 08:00:42 AM »

Good Morning!

Good Morning from Chattanooga, TN!

Good Morning from Chattanooga, TN for the last time!

-Oh, I mean the last time for me..um... for this stay.. not for Chattanooga...

:P

I ended up getting suckered into watching Panic Room (with Jodie Foster) on HBO after turning off the computer and turning out the lights.  Interesting movie.  And by the time I really should have gone to bed, it got to a point in the movie where I just had to stay up and see how it ended.  So, I did.  'Nuff said.

However, I did sleep in quite wonderfully this morning if it is at all possible to do such a thing.  And it looks like quite a beautiful day outside right now.  I decided to go ahead and log on - and get the most bang for my buck out of my high speed internet connection here at the hotel.  So, I read, I pack, I post, I pack, I google, I pack, and so on and so on and so on... (ah, a shampoo commercial reference! - Alberto VO5? Revlon? - I can't remember which one right now - but I do remember my fifth grade math teacher using those commercials as a way of introducing the exponential numbers to me.)

DR Jenny - Hmm.. I'll check the NYCO schedule - I, too, have my favorite Sweeneys in my head, and, as I stated last night, I don't like seeing shows in the State Theater... BUT if I can hear Keith Jameson since again - it's been a while - it might be worth it.... well, at least with a discount voucher.

*Oh, does this production include the "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" in the second act?  -since it now includes Judge Turpin's self-flagellation/self-pleasuring scene...  :o

Well, I need to get finished packing, and get myself all ready to head on over to the made-famous-in-a-song Choo-Choo before I head to the airport so that I can head on back home to Richmond tonight.  I don't get in until 8:30, so I'm not sure what my status will be tonight regarding tonight's Unseemly Live Chat, but I'll check in as soon as I get settled back in my apartment.  -The apartment which I think I'm going to have to pack up over the next two days... But I don't want to think about that now... :-\

Oh - DR SWW - My Albino Chocolate Chip Cookie suggestions: Instead of the almonds - or along with them - try the dried cherries and/or cranberries.  -And I think crushed almonds would work best.  And corn syrup, as you mentioned, would work too in place of your molasses.  But I also think some melted white chocolate would also work in a way - check Marcel Delsauniers' recipe for his "Dalmation" chocolate chip cookies.  And if you want to experiment with the spicing... Hmm.. grated fresh ginger and lime zest.  -Actually, that's my favorite "flavor" of shortbread...

-Damn!  I guess I may be dong some late night baking tonight!

OK - The clock is a-ticking...  Ciao for niao!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up