Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERIOD THAT WENT AWRY  (Read 23902 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE PERIOD THAT WENT AWRY
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2004, 08:52:52 AM »

I found this, does anyone know who it belongs to?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 08:53:21 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2004, 09:03:14 AM »

For the umpteenth week in a row, I can't chat because technical difficulties on two different computers make it impossible.  On MY computer, when I go to the chat page, it doesn't load properly.  There's no blank for me to enter my name.  On DWJoy's computer, well, she recently installed a new version of AOL, and, as a result, no longer has any connection to any websites.

No progress has been made on fixing these problems.

Question from yesterday: When did the word "pinko" first come into use?

BK never answered my queries from Ask BK day, but I don't even remember what they were.

Today is Turkey Day.  I return to Columbia to sit through six hours of revue material.  I'll be home in time for chat, but, alas...

(Not the same excuse as "but, Alias...")
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Danise

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2004, 09:09:32 AM »

Lazy day.  I don't feel like doing anything.  Thanks for the information about to do if my bag goes missing.  I guess I will take a change of clothes and my most important items in my carry on--just in case.

I bought a 17 inch bag.  I'm sure they will allow that on the plane.

Did I mention that I have the Collector's Editon Widescreen version of "Dragon Heart"?  

I will be at chat tonight.  Till then...

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2004, 09:19:45 AM »

Some total stranger IM'd me earlier today while I was posting here. I thought it might be someone from HHW, so I answered and asked who it was. It wasn't someone from here. I hate that kind of thing. Feel like someone just walked into my house uninvited.

Panni

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2004, 09:22:46 AM »

My important bk question for Ask bk Day: Why did you call me a Wussburger?
Second important question: Why did you call me a Wussburger? (You said it twice, so I'm asking twice.)

Panni

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2004, 09:24:03 AM »

The Sopranos is (are back?) back tonight. Hurray!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2004, 09:27:22 AM »

I called you a Wussburger because you went to bed at eleven-fifteen on a Saturday night.  That is a Wussburger.  A Wussburger is that.

I'm TIVOing The Sopranos but shall probably watch it at nine anyway.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2004, 09:34:14 AM »

Here is a link to the story in the Indy STAR today announcing the rest of the Phoenix Season including the show I am directing LOVING LUCY.  No mention of me, an oversight no doubt.....but a nice picture of my friend Bryan who is the Founder-Artistic Director there.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/127077-9482-062.html
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2004, 09:35:47 AM »

Oh, and it's really impossible to win with these chat times.  If I made it tomorrow, the five other people would say they couldn't be there because of this or that.  So, we'll keep it tonight, and those who can't be there can hopefully join us for our next chat next week, which I will make on a Monday.

Panni

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2004, 09:46:18 AM »

Jrand53 - Congrats. Sounds like a really interesting season. Were I Phoenixian (Phoenixite? Phoenixalite) I'd get a subscription.

Panni

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2004, 09:50:08 AM »

I called you a Wussburger because you went to bed at eleven-fifteen on a Saturday night.  That is a Wussburger.  A Wussburger is that.
Perhaps. But I didn't go to bed, I just stopped posting so that eventually I could go to bed. So, according to your definition, dear bk, I'm actually NOT a Wussburger. I laugh. Oh how I laugh.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 09:52:47 AM by Panni »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2004, 10:00:26 AM »

DR Jrand,

Thanks for posting the link. I agree with DR Panni - were I closer, I'd be sure to subscribe. (You have to admit, though, that two plays with male nudity is unusual, though maybe not so in Indianapolis. I only knew of the city's reputation for its basketball and euchre fans.)

I'm going to send a link to an acquaintance of mine in Indianapolis.

And DR Panni, I'm glad Abie is feeling well again. Forgive the dogspeak, everyone else, but Archie's gone on an exclusive diet of something called medi-cal gastro formula, available only from the vet. (It's a Canadian product, but I'm sure there's an equivalent.) Since switching to it, his stools have been impeccable.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2004, 10:40:09 AM »

Jrand - I didn't post that TIME cover.  When I looked at it, I thought it was Mei and Kai from PINK LADY

BK - I just ordered Kritzer Time.  The only time I feel secure using Paypal is when I access it from this here site.

Yesterday we watched both versions of GASLIGHT.  Despite a wonderful debut performance by Angela and a beautiful Ingrid, the 1940 British version is much better than the 1944 MGM.  It is 20 minuters shorter and therefore much tighter without some of the excess in the MGM version.  We also watched THE GREAT ZIEGFELD.  Despite the factual errors it was a very entertaining film.  The "Pretty Girl" number is better seen in its entirety than the abridged THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT version.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2004, 11:03:07 AM »

Good morning everybody.
Yes, I was a total Wussburger last night.  Hello my name is Ann and I am a Wussburger!  There I said it...
For some reason I was just really tired last night, plus my mother was visiting and she was sleeping on the living room floor, so I wanted to keep it quiet for her.  
Last performance of Pirates of Penzance this afternoon.  I shall be sorry to see it go...it's been a really fun production.  My mother saw it on Friday night and loved it.  
I have a rehearsal tonight (as per usual) so I doubt I'll be able to make chat...but next week I'll be there will bells on...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2004, 11:05:58 AM »

Speaking of Wussburgers, where in tarnation IS everyone?  You know we're going to get all those posts tomorrow - "Oh, I was errant and truant because I wasn't online, couldn't get up the energy, was at my mother's, was eating a WUSSBURGER."  

Thanks WEL, and everyone else who's ordered.  If you haven't, I'm placing my order tomorrow - I will have extras, obviously, but not all that many because of the cost of getting huge numbers.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2004, 11:07:48 AM »

Hello fellow dear readers,
I have nothing to say that would be of particular interest to anyone here except...

re lost luggage: It isn't always lost or even put on the "wrong plane."  Sometimes it is put on ANOTHER PLANE headed to the same destination. They do this when the first plane's cargo area is full. This from my Dear Son, who worked at the aiport and loaded luggage onto planes.

A question: Has anyone here ever gone to see the swallows make their annual return to the mission in San Juan Capistrano?

I am off to a board meeting for the rest of the day.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2004, 11:26:34 AM »

Re:  Miyoshi Umeki.  I am fairly certain (but of course you know-it-alls have proven me wrong before) that she won a Supporting Actress Emmy for The Courtship of Eddie's Father, because I have a very strong recollection of watching the Emmy Awards the year she won.  She may have won some other Emmy before that.

Re:  pinko.  My Uncle's testimony was a little bit later than the bulk of the famous ones (his was late 50s), but, yes, Dies' comment was au courant for that time period.  I bet one of the better dictionaries with word histories (American Heritage, perhaps?) would give you a definitive answer, Noel.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2004, 11:33:34 AM »

Re "Pinko,"  I'm going to hazard a guess that it's a dimunitive of "Russian Red," a colorful term for those followers of Stalin, Lenin and other hangers of the iron curtain.  I've been wrong before, and I know I'll be wrong here again.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2004, 11:37:18 AM »

Wrong again!  I can't even spell "diminutive."  I can pronounce it correctly, maybe I just can't type:  I'm always typing freind instead of friend, but didn't Jane Austen do the same?  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2004, 11:42:36 AM »

Except that Jane had no typewriter, just a writing table and quill.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2004, 12:12:06 PM »

*Oh, does this production include the "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" in the second act?  -since it now includes Judge Turpin's self-flagellation/self-pleasuring scene...  :o

It does indeed, and I have to say that it's one of the best moments of this production.  I was actually moved to tears by how Judy Blazer sang it.  Then Nolen had to storm in and ruin it.  >:(

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, Elmore!  Was it the same cast that I saw, or the alternate cast?

I am most definitely not a wussburger because I am here, posting til the cows come home, instead of doing my chemistry homework.  I am no wussburger!  

"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2004, 12:23:18 PM »

Others are Wussburgers, not you, dear Jenny.  Chemistry can wait.  Heaven Can Wait.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2004, 12:28:29 PM »

Still, as experiments go, this one wasn't bad.  I wonder what the results would be like if I exchanged the white morsels with dried cranberries, or dried cherries.

Woody, a theater group here in Olympia sells cookies that are white chocolate AND cranberries!  They're one the better selling cookies.  So don't exchange the white morsels with dried cranberries, ADD them together!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2004, 12:30:12 PM »

I have been having fun in the kitchen again.  To tell the truth, I've had fun in the kitchen twice in the last twelve hours.  WOO-HOO!!!!!

Come, come now (before it's too late, late, late), S. Woody!  This is a family site!!! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2004, 12:32:09 PM »

And I'll admit that I was a Wussburger last night.  I ushered at a performance for a local orchestra, left after the intermission (I am not a fan of purely instrumental music...not that there's anything wrong with it--a Seinfeld reference), went to my sister's for homemade lasagna, came home and went to bed without even checking my e-mail.  Right now I'm listening to Donald's radio show about cover songs...hopefully it won't change to the next installment of the show before I'm done.  Right now I'm listening to the cover version of "It's a Hard-Knock Life."  It's not too bad...they sound a little whiney, but otherwise, not bad.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2004, 12:34:32 PM »

You guys are making me hungry!  And I have the sudden desire to have my apartment smelling like freshly baked cookies...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2004, 12:34:34 PM »

Donald doesn't usually change shows until the afternoon.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2004, 12:37:56 PM »

Hello!

BK, it's interesting that you mentioned having seen "All Night Long."  I just finished Betsy Blair's memoir, "The Memory of All That."  I thought it was a great read, well-written and anecdotal.  I'd love to see some of her European films, especially the Antonioni one.  

Jenny--I've already complimented you on your Sweeney review, but kudos once again.  :-*

Jed

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2004, 12:38:06 PM »

My Kritzer Land order will be made when we get to April, so please do have a few of those extras around, BK!

Jed

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2004, 12:41:14 PM »

I found this, does anyone know who it belongs to?

Am I the only one scratching his head and asking, "Quois???"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up