Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: A LITHUANIAN GAZELLE  (Read 28028 times)

FJL

Re:A LITHUANIAN GAZELLE
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2007, 04:26:06 PM »

And one for Mario

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2007, 04:27:19 PM »

I just ran up (actually drove) to the supermarket to pick up a loaf of Cannon Beach Milk & Honey Bread for my meat loaf sandwiches tomorrow.  Driving back, I started wondering, "Has anyone ever seen a production of Jerry Herman's MILK AND HONEY?

Hey, it's a post isn't it?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2007, 04:28:14 PM »

Ginny, do you make your own potato salad?
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2007, 04:37:23 PM »

Driving back, I started wondering, "Has anyone ever seen a production of Jerry Herman's MILK AND HONEY?

Hey, it's a post isn't it?

No,  but Val Kilmer IS moses.

"Shalom" - is that a salad vegetable.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2007, 04:42:12 PM »

Ginny, do you make your own potato salad?

DR TCB - no, I leave the homemade potato salad to my sister, her daughter, and my mother-in-law.  Can't compete with them, so I buy it at the Kroger deli.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2007, 04:44:47 PM »

Just listened to Ethel Merman's Broadway and am happily eating summer fuit and studying for my math final.
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #186 on: May 28, 2007, 04:46:03 PM »

For the sake of the sanity of all who may read these posts, I will refrain from rehashing last night Jose/TCB discusson of THE THREE FACES OF CABARET.

However, it started me thinking about all of these re-writes and revisions of classic musicals.  Ther have always been changes and additions to productions that are in rehearsal, or in tryouts.  Songs come and go, the same with entire scenes.  Even after shows have officially opened (and an OC recording made) songs have been dropped from shows.  "Fie on Goodness" from CAMELOT; "Spanglish" from SEESAW; and the self-flagellation version of "Johanna" from SWEENEY TODD all come to mind.

It just doesn't seem like until recent years, there were entire rewrites of shows, with songs replaced by songs from the movie version.  It reminds me of Tennessee Williams and his constantly revised plays.  Have I just been been ignorant of this practice, say prior to the last twenty years (THE SOUND OF MUSIC)?
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: May 28, 2007, 04:46:39 PM »

These days Mr Kilmer looks more like Moby Dick than Moses.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #188 on: May 28, 2007, 04:48:35 PM »

These days Mr Kilmer looks more like Moby Dick than Moses.

I may have nightmares tonight, because of that photo!
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #189 on: May 28, 2007, 04:49:12 PM »

I did. The 3-D was merely OK, not nearly as good as some of the other 3-D movies of the same era. I think the 3-D in FRIDAY THE 13th III-D was the best use of 3-D I've ever seen in a movie.

I saw "Meet the Robinsons in 3-D" a few months ago and the 3-D effects in that were wonderful!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #190 on: May 28, 2007, 04:52:28 PM »

I was against the whaling industry completely  - now I have doubts.

I guess there is a connection between Moses and The Whaling Wall.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #191 on: May 28, 2007, 05:02:40 PM »

For the sake of the sanity of all who may read these posts, I will refrain from rehashing last night Jose/TCB discusson of THE THREE FACES OF CABARET.

However, it started me thinking about all of these re-writes and revisions of classic musicals.  Ther have always been changes and additions to productions that are in rehearsal, or in tryouts.  Songs come and go, the same with entire scenes.  Even after shows have officially opened (and an OC recording made) songs have been dropped from shows.  "Fie on Goodness" from CAMELOT; "Spanglish" from SEESAW; and the self-flagellation version of "Johanna" from SWEENEY TODD all come to mind.

It just doesn't seem like until recent years, there were entire rewrites of shows, with songs replaced by songs from the movie version.  It reminds me of Tennessee Williams and his constantly revised plays.  Have I just been been ignorant of this practice, say prior to the last twenty years (THE SOUND OF MUSIC)?

I remember reading (was it in BK's "Lost In Boston" CDs?) that over the years, Maltby and Shire wrote something 60-70 songs for their musical, Big!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2007, 05:03:07 PM »

DR TCB, musicals for the past century have added and replaced numbers, often as a publicity ploy to lure an audience back ("Bessie Wynn has new number OUR CASTLE IN SPAIN in Babes In Toyland"), sometimes because the new star wants another number, sometimes the show got simplified for the tour.  Besides the BABES reference, I can think of the following:
  The 1902 Wizard of Oz regularly gave new numbers to replacements and the two stars Montgomery & Stone regularly replaced numbers.  This was a common occurrence for shows at the time: The Arcadians had a wonderful song "Bring Me A Rose" that never made the stock-amateur rental package.
  In 1917, "Peter Pan" was replaced for the tour of Have A Heart with "Daisy" for the leading lady, who also got a new opening number, "Look In His Eyes." The female comedy lead had at various times the following songs in her Act Two spot: "Come Out of the Kitchen," "It's A Sure Sure Sign," and "Can the Cabaret."
  In 1934, after opening on Broadway, Life Begins at 8:40 lost a comedy number, "Weekend Cruise" featuring Bert Lahr, Earl Oxford, and Frances Williams and "Let's Take A Walk Around The Block" got a second refrain.
  Because of fatigue, Gwen Verdon regularly dropped numbers in performance of Redhead.
  In 1965, when the National Company of Hello Dolly! was in rehearsal, the Act Two Butterfly number on Broadway was replaced with the Polka Contest, which went into the Broadway show with Ginger Rogers taking over for Channing.  Merman got new songs when she took over the role.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 05:03:27 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2007, 05:06:38 PM »

Time for "On the Lot"...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2007, 05:08:24 PM »

While I was out today, two men in a van attempted to kidnap the nice teenage girl across the street. Chinchy bassas.

:o That's horrible!

~~~Vibes that they find and convict the Chinchy bassas!!~~~

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2007, 05:08:25 PM »

Hmm... A new hostess.  Hmm.. ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: May 28, 2007, 05:16:02 PM »

Hmm...  What happened to the one page script movies?  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #197 on: May 28, 2007, 05:23:43 PM »

Hmm...  What happened to the one page script movies?  ???

WTH!!!

Suddenly we are watching one minute movies they made in their two weeks at home.

Yes, what happened to the one minute movie in one hour?  It was featured in the previews last time.

If they mess this up....I will have to give up on it.  Suddenly it's like American Idol....the worst of American Idol.  I liked the format the first couple of weeks.  I don't know if I can take an AUDIENCE show.

DR FJL - my rant is in DR TCB's reply.   8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #198 on: May 28, 2007, 05:28:19 PM »

I am watching the World Music Awards.  It's an opportunity to catch up on what they are listening to in Belgium.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2007, 05:29:52 PM »

I am watching the World Music Awards.  It's an opportunity to catch up on what they are listening to in Belgium.
Mostly Waffle I think.
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2007, 05:31:13 PM »

The Waffle Invasion is coming to the American music scene!  Watch for it!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2007, 05:32:25 PM »

Ain't nothin' goin' on but the rant

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2007, 05:33:04 PM »

Always important to know.  ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2007, 05:33:15 PM »

Of course Belgium did give the pop world "Plastic Bertrand" and "Telex" .
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 05:33:47 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #204 on: May 28, 2007, 05:33:29 PM »

Send Kenny home....what a dumb film.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #205 on: May 28, 2007, 05:34:27 PM »

If you want to see a real Belgian waffle, ask Jean Claude Van Damm if he is straight.

FJL

« Reply #206 on: May 28, 2007, 05:34:49 PM »

Confused - are these the best artists or the Best-selling artists?

FJL

« Reply #207 on: May 28, 2007, 05:36:09 PM »

Who is the DB that Beyonce thanked - Debby Boone?

Tomovoz

« Reply #208 on: May 28, 2007, 05:38:57 PM »

How sad! The USA missed out on the hits by those two Belgian stars.

Do find out what you missed check out Bertrand's "Ca Plane Pour Moi" and the Telex version of "Rock Around The Clock".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #209 on: May 28, 2007, 05:42:14 PM »

Belgium is still (I believe) McDonalds free.
Belgium prides itself on the best pommes frites in the world.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up