Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: TO THE VICTOR GO THE SPOILS  (Read 26801 times)

singdaw

Re:TO THE VICTOR GO THE SPOILS
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2007, 10:12:05 AM »

Here....have a peek!

Thanks, DR Ron Pulliam!  I will have to remember not to try to forcibly restrain one.

singdaw

« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2007, 10:12:30 AM »

...a sea snake, that is...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2007, 10:17:23 AM »

BUT ---- just where is that pesky pixie dear Jose this morning??  If this behavior continues, he will have to be dealt with most severely !!

I was here.  And now I'm back.  In the meantime, I took care of some things around the apartment.  And watched the first post-Rosie episode of "The View"...  -At least Audra McDonald was on today too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2007, 10:18:05 AM »

...a sea snake, that is...

Ah, clarification of what I was certain was a non-sequitur.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2007, 10:18:47 AM »

I was here.  And now I'm back.  In the meantime, I took care of some things around the apartment.  And watched the first post-Rosie episode of "The View"...  -At least Audra McDonald was on today too.

And is "The View" a better viewing experience without the riveting Rosie?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2007, 10:21:28 AM »

Dear Mikey-Hunky .... I want you to know that I believe everything you tell me!  And so I have just ordered your highly-touted DVD that you described.  And there better be some skin Baby..... some skin !

It's a very nice film, MUSICGUY. I don't think you'll be disappointed. (No, I'm not Mikey. I just had to add that.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2007, 10:24:49 AM »

TOD:

From the Fox vaults --

The Egyptian
With A Song in My Heart
April Love
Hangover Square
In Love and War
Woman's World
Boy on a Dolphin
The Mudlark
Bird of Paradise

From MGM vaults:

The Opposite Sex
The Swan
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Raintree County
The Brothers Karamazov
The Journey
The Wreck of the Mary Deare
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (out of curiousity as to how bad it truly could be)

From the Warner Brothers vaults:

Inside Daisy Clover
Dead Ringer

Wreck Of The Mary Deare is on DVD, as is Dead Ringer.  Four Horsemen is on a region 2 DVD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2007, 10:25:23 AM »

TCB - that would be great.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2007, 11:10:56 AM »

Skamman!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2007, 11:11:02 AM »

"Yentl" has been available here for at least a year.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »

"The Ritz".  We watch our Video to DVD copy quite often. It is much loved.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2007, 11:12:22 AM »

OOF-ah!  I wonder if I already have "Dead Ringer" and just haven't watched it.  The search will be on this evening.

I'm betting "Mary Deare" is part of a boxed set.  Maybe it's also available by itself.

Jennifer

« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »

Did you catch the second, shorter episode of "On the Lot" last week?  They did show the eliminations after the three-person film challenge.

However, we did not see the one-page script movies, nor the whittling down to last night's final 18.

Yes i saw the first elimination (with the groups of 3). But i did not see (nor did they show the 1 page movie scripts or eliminations.  It was extremely bizarre to me. I actually thought that when each person was featured that they would at least show something related to last week.

I just double-checked the DVR, and they did put up the phone numbers after each movie was shown while the host was wrapping things up.  And at the end of the show during the recap, they showed the numbers again.  -Instead of having all 18 of them repeated by the host one after the other (Whew!).As for the host... I guess there's bound to be some info somewhere on web as to what happened.

Okay this is so weird.  On my station when the host was talking after each movie she simply said the number (188-the lot or whatever). There was nothing written on the screen.  And at the end they simply showed the people's names and faces and movies and again no number.

I wonder if maybe people in canada are not allowed to vote by phone and maybe that is why we didn't get to see the numbers. Although we can't vote for American Idol and we see the numbers there.

Jennifer

« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2007, 11:16:52 AM »

As Jose mentions, On the Lot did indeed show the "whittling" down to 18 finalists last week (on Thursday, IIRC).  I posted on Friday about it.  What I am finding strange is this weird scheduling.  I'm wondering now if they will settle down to Mondays and Tuesdays.  Also, what happened to the blonde woman host from the first episode.  The babe last night was fine, but I kept thinking she was Eva Longoria (not that I'm complaining, LOL).  I am currently favoring Zach, and I disagree with Garry Marshall--I don't think he should change his last name.  ;)

No we saw the first elimination. But not the last one.   For instance that group with jessica, kenny (is that his name the one who was working on the computer). The third girl in the group (was it hannah?) got eliminated. It was the group with the NYU girl. Anyhow NYU girl was on last night (she made it). But kenny (sorry if i got his name wrong) was gone. They never showed their 1 page scripts that they were doing on thursday. and we did not see who got eliminated.

Actually i'm adding this comment. I just read the televisionwithoutpity recap and someone named kenny is listed. I didn't notice him. But i guess he did go through.  But we still definitely did not see the last whittling down to 18. And i definitely did see thursday's show.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/articles/content/a13141/

Anyhow this guy commented on the changes. But he liked it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:28:34 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2007, 11:19:34 AM »

It's funny i did not think i would like The View with Rosie. Whenever she had guested on there in the past i did not really enjoy her.

But i must say i absolutely loved her on the show.  She made the show 100 times better than it had been.  And i'm not sure how they will recover.

What happened last week was very sad.  Especially if you happened to see the pre-taped birthday show they showed yesterday (for elisabeth's 30th birthday). Rosie gave her a fabulous gift and they hugged and were so chummy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2007, 11:47:03 AM »

Mary Deare is in the Gary Cooper box set - not sure if it's available separately.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2007, 11:51:50 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Hmm...  I just read this over on PlaybillArts.com, and I have to say that I was no where near Cleveland or Detroit this past weekend.

Performances at Cleveland Orchestra and Detroit Symphony Are Literal Showstoppers

Although, I was at the Thomas Allen recital in DC, when after a set of Britten folksong arrangements some members of the audience started to boo, and Mr. Allen and his accompanist proceeded to leave the stage.  Thankfully, after the brou-haha had died down, and the few boo-ers left the auditorium, Mr. Allen came back out and continued his recital.

Oh...  And one of my earliest PBS memories, was Andre Watts' "Live from Lincoln Center" broadcast when a string broke during the first of Gershwin's Preludes for Piano.  He left the stage, and it wasn't until the piano technician came on stage did the commentator know what was going on.

Oh... And I was also in the audience for Lily Tomlin's "Search for Signs..." when she inexplicably left the stage for a few minutes in the middle of a segment.  She exited stage right, then re-entered from stage left.  A friend of mine who had worked a couple of times at the Kennedy Center commented, "Ah, the backstage bathroom is stage left."  ;)  -However, we never really did find out the real reason.

Oh... And then there was that performance of Tosca at the Washington Opera where Placido Domingo was rushed to the hospital shortly after his first entrance.  Apparently, some kind of ear thingy.  However, since the GW Hospital was just a few blocks away, they did not cancel the show, they just added an extra 45-minutes intermission.

But, again, I was no where near Cleveland or Detroit this past weekend.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:53:17 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2007, 11:52:44 AM »

OH!  And it looks like Xanadu is back on for tonight.  However, if it gets cancelled again...  Hmm... ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2007, 11:55:43 AM »

...And have I mentioned that when I played Passion at Signature Theatre, someone had a heart attack in the audience.  -And the house staff managed to get him out of the theatre without interrupting the show.

...And there was another myocardial infarction during Eleanor: An American Love Story at Ford's Theatre...

...And another one at Clemson University when I was there with Anything Goes...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:56:11 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2007, 11:56:44 AM »

Hmm... I guess I better cross my fingers for tonight's performance of Xanadu.   ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2007, 11:58:32 AM »

My errand to my mom's didn't take as long as expected, so I've had time to come home and have my cold baked beans on pumpernickel open-face sandwich.

I also had time to peek in on my work email and found the revolting news that our department manager is leaving at the end of June to take a position at a local university.  It's a good move for him, but I sure hate to see him go.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2007, 12:00:25 PM »

"Yentl" has been available here for at least a year.

Hmm... I even think that I have Yentl in my DVD collection too.

Although, after just checking Amazon.com, it appears "Yentl" is only available as a Region 2 DVD.  Is it possible it had a limited release here in the U.S., and then was pulled from the shelves?  I guess I'll have to take a look at my DVDs later.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »

And is "The View" a better viewing experience without the riveting Rosie?

It was OK.  As for the quality, well, I don't watch it religiously.  To me, it's basically the "least offensive" programming between 11:00am and Noon.  ;)

I did think Rosie added a bit of edge to "The View", however, I also thought at times it sort of de-classed Barbara Walters' original concept.  And the new opening they came up with when Rosie joined the show - UGH!  Cheesy and cheap looking!

ADDENDUM:  What I meant to say, was that I was surprised at how much "Rosie" was imposed on "The View".  The confetti canons, all the audience giveaways, the Broadway performers (which I did like), and even her spot as the moderator for the Hot Topics segment.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 12:09:54 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2007, 12:07:12 PM »

As Jose mentions, On the Lot did indeed show the "whittling" down to 18 finalists last week (on Thursday, IIRC).  I posted on Friday about it.  What I am finding strange is this weird scheduling.  I'm wondering now if they will settle down to Mondays and Tuesdays.  Also, what happened to the blonde woman host from the first episode.  The babe last night was fine, but I kept thinking she was Eva Longoria (not that I'm complaining, LOL).  I am currently favoring Zach, and I disagree with Garry Marshall--I don't think he should change his last name.  ;)

I have a feeling the time slot for "On the Lot" will float until Fox's full summer line-up is in place.  And they see how everything does in the ratings.

I'm also guessing that there will be some gaps of a week or two between airings as we get closer to the final episodes in order to allow for longer shooting and turn around times of the movies.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »

DR Ginny - I don't think I've ever had a cold baked bean sandwich.  Hmm.... Something to add to my list.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2007, 12:13:25 PM »

DR Jose - years ago DH Richard (maybe he was still my DB then) and I attended a concert by our local symphony orchestra.  During some concerto, the piano soloist got so lost that even having the conductor shout out measure numbers to her didn't help.  She finally just put her hands in her lap and shook her head.

Maybe DR Elmore was at that concert, too?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2007, 12:14:09 PM »

DR Ginny - I don't think I've ever had a cold baked bean sandwich.  Hmm.... Something to add to my list.  ;)

C'mon over, I'll make one for you!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2007, 12:18:04 PM »

C'mon over, I'll make one for you!

Hmm... I'm wondering if baked beans would be considered a solid, liquid or gel.  And if just 3 ounces is enough for a sandwich.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2007, 12:21:28 PM »

Will we never get to page six?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2007, 12:22:17 PM »

Back from annoying errand.  I suppose some excellent vibes and xylophones for a good end to May and a great June would be very much appreciated around these here parts.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up