Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WAIT FOR IT  (Read 38478 times)

singdaw

Re:WAIT FOR IT
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2007, 07:19:14 AM »

DR TCB - you normally don't post from work, so I'm assuming you're off today?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2007, 07:19:47 AM »

Favorite Brando: almost all of his early work but especially STREETCAR, JULIUS CAESAR, THE WILD ONE, and ON THE WATERFRONT.

Curiously, I don't much care for his Oscar-winning performance in THE GODFATHER. That's probably sacrilege, but I don't find it amounting to much. DESIREE is another lazy, uninteresting performance.

I do like him in A DRY WHITE SEASON among his late career efforts. I think REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE is underrated and so is MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY.

I have never seen THE YOUNG LIONS, and there it sits on my to-watch shelf; it has been there for a couple or years. I never seem to get to it.

I seesaw back and forth on GUYS & DOLLS. I think he's fine in the acting moments, but over the years, the singing has bothered me more and more.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2007, 07:20:54 AM »

Another episode of THE CLOSER tonight at 9! SO much looking forward to it as a break from HOME IMPROVEMENT episodes.

I'll give Holly Hunter's SAVING GRACE one final chance tonight, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »

I doubt I'll get to anything else on DVD today except HOME IMPROVEMENT. I'd like to get as close to the finish of the set as I can by day's end.

Cillaliz

« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2007, 07:31:39 AM »

OH!  That's right.  But I don't have any traveling coming up today.  And I don't think it was a full moon either.  I just sometimes stay up during full moons.  And that "habit" started in college when my Song Literature teacher came in one day to class not looking so hot - and she always looked hot.  Well... We asked her what was wrong, and she said that she never really sleeps during full moons.  So... Of course, 28 days later, we all walk into class having not slept well, if at all.  The power of suggestion.  For better or worse.

My mother can't sleep when it's a full moon.  

singdaw

« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2007, 07:32:58 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]***continued FUND-A-LICIOUS VIBES***[/color][/size][/move]
for bk and his fundraiser

Cillaliz

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2007, 07:44:21 AM »

DR Jose....I'm sure Sam would LOVE to step on "the line" and so would I. She's looking at websites for shows and will be making her selection soon.  I thought Legally Blonde would be her immediate choice, but she's thinking about seeing "Niles" and I sent her the ACL website as well as the Playbill list of current shows. I think they all have links to the websites, so she's going to check them out.

She did tell me she doesn't want to shop and wants to be a tourist.  So, I'm going to have to figure out the best way to do that.  The tour busses seem awfully expensive when we could take the subway and walk around in different areas.  She said she wants to see the Statue of Liberty, so I'm going to have to find out if she wants to be up close and personal or see it from a boat...  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2007, 07:45:01 AM »

DR TCB - you normally don't post from work, so I'm assuming you're off today?

Well, thank you DR slingblade.  How tacky of you to point that out!  Actually, I was supposed to be at work two hours ago, but I called and said I would be late.  And guess what?  I am late.  I think I am having a reaction to the anti-inflammatory medication that I am taking.  I am feeling very groggy today.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 07:45:19 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2007, 07:45:29 AM »

I guess I need to stay downstairs in case my yard workers need anything.

WBBL.

singdaw

« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2007, 07:49:53 AM »

I guess I need to stay downstairs in case my yard workers need anything.

A sip of lemonade?  A soothing skin massage?   ;)

singdaw

« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2007, 07:51:05 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]***FEEL-BETTER VIBES***[/size][/color][/move]
to DR TCB!!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2007, 07:57:16 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]***FEEL-BETTER VIBES***[/size][/color][/move]
to DR TCB!!!

Thanks, singdaw.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2007, 07:59:09 AM »

Thanks, singdaw slingblade.

spoo!   :-[  I told you I wasn't feeling well.
“One thing’s universal,

Ben

« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2007, 08:03:56 AM »

She said she wants to see the Statue of Liberty, so I'm going to have to find out if she wants to be up close and personal or see it from a boat...  

While the Statue of Liberty is a wonderful sight to behold, I think it's just as good to see it from a half-hour (actually full hour since you have to come back) trip on the Staten Island Ferry. Granted, you don't get close up but you do get the full effect (IMHO) and you don't have to wait in line for a Circle Line Ferry to Liberty Island. If you are not on the first or second boat the line for said ferry can be quite long and if you're pressed for time the SI Ferry might be the better answer. It's free (after a subway ride downtown) and if it's a hot day you will get a nice breeze off the Hudson.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2007, 08:04:06 AM »

DR Jose, I believe the actress in BLOODY LIES was Antonia Marrero.  I've repressed so much of it!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 08:05:31 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2007, 08:14:12 AM »

While the Statue of Liberty is a wonderful sight to behold, I think it's just as good to see it from a half-hour (actually full hour since you have to come back) trip on the Staten Island Ferry. Granted, you don't get close up but you do get the full effect (IMHO) and you don't have to wait in line for a Circle Line Ferry to Liberty Island. If you are not on the first or second boat the line for said ferry can be quite long and if you're pressed for time the SI Ferry might be the better answer. It's free (after a subway ride downtown) and if it's a hot day you will get a nice breeze off the Hudson.

I agree with DR Ben.  Take the Staten Island Ferry if you want to appreciate the Statue.  Unless you really need to see the museum in the base, a little distance makes her even more impressive.  Besides, if it is hot (and it is September) the termperature inside the statue is often to warm for you to climb it.
“One thing’s universal,

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2007, 08:16:17 AM »

Ingmar Bergman has died.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2007, 08:23:01 AM »

Vibes for DR TCB. Feel better soon! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2007, 08:23:44 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up...  And I feel quite rested after just five hours of sleep.  For now.  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »

And Tom Snyder has passed too. :(
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2007, 08:28:05 AM »

DR JoseSPiano, have you seen the latest issue of New York Magazine?  It's their 2007 Cheap Eats issue.

Bought it last week, and have already made a couple of notes.  :)

*However, there's also a somewhat "real" article in that issue about "Broadway's Test Tube Babies", Max and Laura, and the upcoming revival of "Grease".  And a rather fascinating and, ultimately, sad article about married men leading double-lives.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2007, 08:29:09 AM »

And the Cheap Eats issue of "Time Out New York" (TONY for short) came out recently too.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2007, 08:30:41 AM »

DR Jose, I believe the actress in BLOODY LIES was Antonia Marrero.  I've repressed so much of it!

Ah, OK.  Well, I did ask last night, and she's still in rehearsal, so...

-As all the DRs say, "What?"
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2007, 08:40:37 AM »

DR Jose....I'm sure Sam would LOVE to step on "the line" and so would I. She's looking at websites for shows and will be making her selection soon.  I thought Legally Blonde would be her immediate choice, but she's thinking about seeing "Niles" and I sent her the ACL website as well as the Playbill list of current shows. I think they all have links to the websites, so she's going to check them out.

She did tell me she doesn't want to shop and wants to be a tourist.  So, I'm going to have to figure out the best way to do that.  The tour busses seem awfully expensive when we could take the subway and walk around in different areas.  She said she wants to see the Statue of Liberty, so I'm going to have to find out if she wants to be up close and personal or see it from a boat...  

Well, if she really does want to see Curtains, I think... Oh, nevermind.  ;)

Some of the busses aren't too bad, and I usually advise people not to buy tickets until the day they want to go.  Yes, it can be a little bit of a hassle dealing with those guys on the street, but at least you will know what the weather will be like when you're riding around.

As for the Statue of Liberty, when some friends went a few weeks ago, they mentioned that there was some sort of call-in-advance-two-weeks deal to be able to get up close and personal with the Statue.  ???  And as others have already mentioned, taking the ferry that takes you to the Statue - and Ellis Island is quite the time investment.  Usually a minimum of two to three hours depending on the lines.  -And that's without getting off the boat.

Does she want to sight-see each day she's here, or just take one day to cover the island?  -If she's feeling adventurous - as well as you - and you have comfortable shoes, you could always take the subway down to Battery Park, look at the Statue from the shore, then start walking back uptown: Wall Street, Ground Zero, cut over to South Street Seaport to see the Brooklyn Bridge, Chinatown, Little Italy, etc.  -And then just hop on the train anytime you want to skip a couple of blocks.  And rest your feet.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2007, 08:42:35 AM »

...Or you could hop on one of the MTA busses for $2.00, and ride the length and/or width of the island with some of the locals.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2007, 08:58:05 AM »

Ingmar Bergman has died.

I read about this last night and meant to post something and later forgot.

So sorry to see him leave us. Thankfully, he left behind some stunning masterpieces.

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2007, 08:58:41 AM »

Attention, Attention: TCM alert!

3 BAD SISTERS shows today on Turner Classic Movies...this is a must see film, dontcha know! LOL!

Not only does it contain two of my interviewees (the lovely Sara Shane and the hunky John Bromfield) it also has Kathleen Hughs and Marla English!

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2007, 09:01:05 AM »

As for Marlon Brando,

SAYONARA

and

THE WILD ONE

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2007, 09:01:15 AM »

Yard work finished; worker paid: glad this is done. Now, it's going to be up to me to either maintain it myself, or hire someone to take the backyard in hand.

I can do the front. It's not big, and I can cut it in about 20 minutes. The back yard is another story entirely. My former partner did mow it many moons ago with an electric mower, but whatever extension cords he had to get all the way back there (it's a very deep lot but fairly narrow) aren't here now. I bought two 40' ones, and they weren't long enough to do the job. I guess a trip to Wal-Mart seems imminent.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2007, 09:01:42 AM »

I find Brando always watchable even when he's bad, in films like Missouri Breaks, where he's just jacking around.  Favs would be:  Viva Zapata, On the Waterfront, The Godfather, Julius Caesar...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up