Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WAIT FOR IT  (Read 38479 times)

Cillaliz

Re:WAIT FOR IT
« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »

While the Statue of Liberty is a wonderful sight to behold, I think it's just as good to see it from a half-hour (actually full hour since you have to come back) trip on the Staten Island Ferry. Granted, you don't get close up but you do get the full effect (IMHO) and you don't have to wait in line for a Circle Line Ferry to Liberty Island. If you are not on the first or second boat the line for said ferry can be quite long and if you're pressed for time the SI Ferry might be the better answer. It's free (after a subway ride downtown) and if it's a hot day you will get a nice breeze off the Hudson.

Great Suggestion.   I think we could do that.

Cillaliz

« Reply #211 on: July 30, 2007, 04:45:48 PM »

I agree with DR Ben.  Take the Staten Island Ferry if you want to appreciate the Statue.  Unless you really need to see the museum in the base, a little distance makes her even more impressive.  Besides, if it is hot (and it is September) the termperature inside the statue is often to warm for you to climb it.

You can't really climb it anymore

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2007, 04:49:25 PM »

My hint read:Singers currently on http://myspace.com/suchgoodfriendsthemusical are Melissa Hammans, Eric William Morris, Michael Wartella, Alan Shaw, me, and the rather-not-be-heard DW Joy.

Lovely voice.

Noel, I'm so very pleased you are still posting.  I'm sorry I can't make it to NY to see your show.

Tell Joy I miss her.

Jane

« Reply #213 on: July 30, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »

Hold your hats and hallelujah! Guess who just sent me an email apologizing for the way he handled the whole uniform accusation last week...? So maybe he's not so dead to me anymore, but I hope he doesn't think that means the incident is forgotten...I'm still watching my back.

I'm impressed & hope he learned from his mistake.  I also agree you should watch your back.

Cillaliz

« Reply #214 on: July 30, 2007, 04:55:34 PM »

...Or you could hop on one of the MTA busses for $2.00, and ride the length and/or width of the island with some of the locals.

Great ideas.  I told her to start looking at tourism sites on the internet and write down the 5 things she wants to see the most and thought I could put together a tour from that, including some other spots along the way. That worked out really well for Jon.   I don't really want to take a commercial tour and I checked out the Statue of Liberty website last night that says expect to take 4 hours or something like that.  I think the Ferry sounds like a great idea. I think we'll do the Empire State Building. I really like Top of the Rock, but Sam watched tons of movies, and there just is no real substitute for the Empire State. I got a huge kick out of the bicycle guy pulling the carts tour of Central Park.  It's a nice view in more ways than one!

Jane

« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2007, 04:57:03 PM »

Craig lost a baby tooth at the top of the Statue of Liberty.  I hyperventilated on the stairs because I was terrified he was running too fast & would fall.  Can you tell I don’t like heights?

Ginny thank you for the belated wishes.  I’m glad you are having a nice time.

Jane

« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2007, 04:57:40 PM »

I hope TCB didn't fall asleep driving to work today.

FEEL BETTER VIBES!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2007, 04:58:20 PM »

Quote from: singdaw on Today at 07:18:26am
DR JoseSPiano, have you seen the latest issue of New York Magazine?  It's their 2007 Cheap Eats issue.

Bought it last week, and have already made a couple of notes.  :)

*However, there's also a somewhat "real" article in that issue about "Broadway's Test Tube Babies", Max and Laura, and the upcoming revival of "Grease".  And a rather fascinating and, ultimately, sad article about married men leading double-lives.
Found the link to that double-lived article.  There's a couple of quotes that interested me.

First, a comment by the subject of the article:

Close as they were, William couldn’t imagine telling his friends about his interest in men. “No one was gay, no one even knew anyone who was gay,” he says. “It’s not that I was scared of being judged, but of being seen differently. Like if my friends were all going out to a bar to hit on girls, maybe I wouldn’t be invited. For lack of a better analogy, it’s like with actors, when you find out someone playing a straight role is gay. You don’t look at him the same way. I guess that’s always been my greatest fear.”

That pretty well seems to sum the guy up, in his own words.

On the other hand, there's that comment by the shrink, Richard Isay:

I ask him if he has ever heard of Richard Isay, a psychiatrist who has written at length about gay men, himself included, who have been in straight marriages. Isay believes that most gay men who marry do so as a way of denying their homosexuality. “Every homosexual man who marries,” he writes in Becoming Gay: The Journey to Self-Acceptance, “does so, in my clinical experience, because of early self-esteem injury that has caused him to see homosexuality as bad, sinful or sick.” Another of Isay’s theories has a Freudian undercurrent: “Every married man I have seen has needed to repeat with his spouse the sense of having been emotionally deprived by his mother. The futile hope of mastering this trauma provides one powerful but unconscious motive for these heterosexual marriages.”

What a load of crap!  William, the article's subject, clearly does NOT "see homosexuality as bad, sinful or sick."  He says so, repeatedly.

No, he is not religious. No, he was not raised in a religious or bigoted household. No, he does not think being attracted to men is “wrong.” No, it’s not that simple. This much he will allow: “This is not the life I was meant to live. I don’t know what that life is, what it looks like, but I know it’s not this. But I don’t think most people are living the life they think they were meant to live, so I don’t feel that bad.”

This is clearly in contradiction with what Isay espouses.

Looking over der Brucer's history, what is more probable is the idea that William is living the life he was told he was supposed to live, totally in ignorance of what else might be possible, and now has no idea of how to change that life.

Der Brucer was told, by his senior officers, to find himself a wife.  That's what he did.  Whether those senior officers had any idea of what and who der B was doing, we have no proof, but my hunch is that they had zero inklings, that it was simply beyond their comprehension.

But it wasn't beyond der B's comprehension, which was why he was able to walk away from that life and move on to a life that, eventually, included me.

It is my conviction that being gay, happily out-of-the-closet gay, takes imagination, to conceive that life can be different and to move towards that life.

Or, if you prefer taking your lessons from the widow of Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside, "Life is a banquet..." and I think you know the rest of that line.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2007, 04:58:42 PM »

DR Cilla: The Circle Line boat tours are wonderful and really not very expensive. I took my mom and cousin when they were here last year and my mom, who's been here three or four times now, agreed that it was the best way to see a great deal of the City for a very reasonable amount of money. We got great, up-close views of the Statue without having to actually go in it and then we passed under the Brooklyn Bridge, passed the financial district, Battery Park, the U.N....it was fantastic. I highly recommend it.

I'm hungry.

Thanks Jason,  how long is the cruise?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2007, 05:00:38 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from dinner with DR Jason.  I had a Mesclun Salad with Grilled Salmon, Balsamic Dressing on the side.  -And I have to say, the salads I've had at Westway Diner lately have been very good and very fresh.

Then we headed up to Amy's Bread so that DR Jason could get a treat.  Well, when we walked in, we didn't see a cake stand with a Monkey Cake on display, so we started looking at the other options.  Well... Since it couldn't hurt to ask... "Do you have Monkey Cake?" -Oh, let me check in the back.  -That's when DR Jason starts shaking his fists in the air.  ;)  And, of course, a few moments later, the clerk comes back from the back with a Monkey Cake.  So, DR Jason got his slice.  And I got one too.  ;)

And thus concludes my food consumption for the day.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2007, 05:01:43 PM »

I concur.  We have taken this several times with British relatives & friends and t was always a big hit...

http://www.circleline42.com/index.ihtml?page=sightseeing

Thanks for the link. I did the 2 hour cruise as a private party cruise once and really loved it.  This is a definite possibility
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:19:17 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2007, 05:04:49 PM »

The 2-hour cruise looks like it's not MUCH cheaper than the 3-hour cruise, so i guess it's mainly if it's a time crunch....

http://www.circleline42.com/index.ihtml?page=sightseeing

Actually, the 2 hour cruises all start an hour after the 3 hour cruise, Hmm, I'll have to see what she wants to do. I've never gone all the way around the island.  

Jane

« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2007, 05:05:26 PM »

-That's when DR Jason starts shaking his fists in the air.  ;)  

;D  :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2007, 05:06:41 PM »

DR SWW - I think the reporter was "simply" presenting Dr. Isay's theories as a contrast to William's situation.  I don't think he was outright saying that that was what William was doing, going through.  The reporter was just trying to present some other possible reasons/theories for William's situation and personal motivations.  It's meant to be a "contradiction".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2007, 05:07:36 PM »

;D  :D

Alas, DR Jason tends to shake his fists in the air whenever I'm around him.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #225 on: July 30, 2007, 05:10:02 PM »

At some point here, I've got to get dinner cooking.

I'm thinking chicken legs (with thigh portion) roasted with a shiitake/smoked paprika butter tucked under the skin.  A variation on something I've done before.

And, on the side, something I've found in Norman Van Aken's New World Kitchen: Papas Chorreadas with Romaine (translated as Potatoes in Cheese Sauce with Shredded Romaine).  The cheese sauce involves onion, tomatoes, cream, and pepper jack cheese, and sounds absolutely delish/decadent.

Only problem is, der B has just now reminded me that we have cooked shrimp for cocktails waiting in the chill chest - can't those wait until after we head to the farmer's market tomorrow, and have some other ingredients to play with?   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2007, 05:10:26 PM »

Kidz!

I graduated from High School in February of 1967, and began college in the theater department of Los Angeles City College, where Bruce Kimmel was also going to school. Forty-count'em-forty years later, plus a few months, I graduated with a BA yesterday, in Human Behavior, from Ryokan College in Mar Vista.

Little Penny Orloff is a college grad!!! And I completed my first year of a two-year master's program last Wednesday. Onward!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »

My two sisters came to my graduation, as did my old pal Felice, who dropped out of high school, raised a son, went to work, blahblahblah, and STILL got her BA before me...
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2007, 05:12:12 PM »

Alas, DR Jason tends to shake his fists in the air whenever I'm around him.  ;)
Does he do the "Rocky reaches the top of the stairs"dance?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2007, 05:12:39 PM »

And continuing DR JoseSPiano's Magazine Reader...

In the current issue of Runner's World (September 2007), there's a wonderful article by a writer who composed his own personal New York City Marathon.  He started up at his current home in Westchester County, then worked his way south through the Bronx, Harlem, the West Side, Chelsea, and then ending in the Bronx.  He based his route according to his own personal landmarks: old apartments, places of businesses, bars, restaurants, playgrounds, etc.  Quite a fun read, and somewhat inspirational too.
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2007, 05:12:40 PM »

So, I'll hop into the ol' CRX tomorrow, and head Nawth, where it's cool and delicious in the forest...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2007, 05:13:19 PM »

Jose, that sounds like a fascinating article - I may just go buy that magazine...
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #232 on: July 30, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »

[size=20]Contrats, Penny O!!![/size]

Hmm, that doesn't look right.  Let's try that again.

[size=20]Contrats,
Penny O!!![/size]

Much better!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:16:28 PM by S. Woody White »

Jane

« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2007, 05:15:30 PM »

Hi Penny.  CONTRATULATIONS!!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2007, 05:16:34 PM »

More of Brenda's health issues  tonight on the CLOSER, with her doctor, S. Epatha Merkensen. I wonder if any DR's will guess correctly as to what ails her?
Diabetes  or Thyroid

Jane

« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2007, 05:17:15 PM »

Penny I just sent you a photo of Sherlock I posted yesterday.

Jane

« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2007, 05:19:50 PM »

Brenda had a fever so I don't think that would be allergies, diabetes (funny but we really don't want to watch her give up her sugar again) or a thyroid problem.

Cillaliz

« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2007, 05:20:53 PM »

Kidz!

I graduated from High School in February of 1967, and began college in the theater department of Los Angeles City College, where Bruce Kimmel was also going to school. Forty-count'em-forty years later, plus a few months, I graduated with a BA yesterday, in Human Behavior, from Ryokan College in Mar Vista.

Little Penny Orloff is a college grad!!! And I completed my first year of a two-year master's program last Wednesday. Onward!

WOO HOO!!!!! Congrats DR Penny O that's wonderful

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2007, 05:21:30 PM »

Continued Contratulations, DR PennyO!!!!

So... Did you get a chance to throw your mortar board in the air?
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2007, 05:21:38 PM »

A great big CONGRATULATIONS[/size][/color]
to DR PENNYO!!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up