Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THIRD BRAIN  (Read 32692 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE THIRD BRAIN
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2007, 11:45:20 AM »

BREAK A LEG AND EVERYTHING IS IN WORKING ORDER VIBES TO THE BRAIN

Ginny

« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2007, 11:56:01 AM »

Back from the grant review panel.  They had 10 proposals for requests totalling $80,000 and only $45044 to allocate.

Tough decisions.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2007, 12:02:06 PM »

***SPEEDY DHL DELIVERY VIBES***[/size]
for DR Ron Pulliam!

singdaw

« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2007, 12:06:14 PM »

For after all...

A day without Judy is like a day without sunshine.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2007, 12:06:43 PM »

Here's a fine thing:

DHL tracking indicates my Mickey-Judy box was out for delivery, that delivery had been attempted at 9:43 a.m.,  and that "recipient was unavailable -- premises closed; will attempt delivery tomorrow."  I double-checked order and confirmed it was addressed to my office (open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.).

That was about my experience with FedEx a few months ago; except they never left a note that they tried to deliver. How were we to know? That was a wasted day. I am still bitter, apparently.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

singdaw

« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2007, 12:07:49 PM »

Bitter is better with butter.

singdaw

« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2007, 12:08:08 PM »

Well, pretty much everything is better with butter.  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2007, 12:19:41 PM »

Those who deliver are NEVER as anxious as those who wait for the delivery.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »

I met the wonderful Michael Dale at Cafe Un, Deux, Trois following the Alice Ripley/Emily Skinner concert at Town Hall; he's a very nice gentleman.  And smart, too.   ;D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2007, 12:30:42 PM »

Great news, DR td!   :)Can't eat them, or can't serve them?     ;)

Well, I suppose I could eat them, but, I'm not risking the pain just as the pain has vanished. . . .

td

• td
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2007, 12:51:39 PM »

For after all...

A day without Judy is like a day without sunshine.

Speaking of. . .
1). Are any HHWers members of the Yahoo Judy Garland group that I belong to?
2). Any HHWers have any comments on Rufus Wainwright's salutes to Judy?
3).  Any HHWers looking forward to getting Lorna Luft's (she's a personal friend of BK, so I've heard) "Songs My Mother Taught Me" cd?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2007, 12:58:29 PM »

Will we never get to page six?

Sure.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #222 on: September 26, 2007, 01:01:17 PM »

The question before us now is, will we ever get to page nine?

Matt H.

« Reply #223 on: September 26, 2007, 01:02:44 PM »

Here's a fine thing:

DHL tracking indicates my Mickey-Judy box was out for delivery, that delivery had been attempted at 9:43 a.m.,  and that "recipient was unavailable -- premises closed; will attempt delivery tomorrow."  I double-checked order and confirmed it was addressed to my office (open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.).

I sent an e-mail and let them know in no uncertain terms that delivery tomorrow is NOT an option...that this premises is NOT CLOSED and the delivery person must try to get it right.

In the meantime, mine still has not shipped! Argh as well!

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2007, 01:05:24 PM »

I began my afternoon watching two more episodes of CRIMINAL MINDS (which finishes the first disc in the set except for the two commentaries).

The first involved a person who was capturing, torturing, and eventually killing women. The criminalists finally figured out it was a team effort, not the work of one man. Then, they discovered they had the guilty party TWICE and didn't know it. The surprise of who the guilty party was gave the episode some added punch.

Matt H.

« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2007, 01:06:55 PM »

The second episode involved a man who would hold up banks and force the occupants of the bank to strip off their clohtes and then he would make various people simulate sex with one another. Tense show with a wrong apprehension.

Matt H.

« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2007, 01:10:50 PM »

Then I put on the new 40th anniversary edition of THE JUNGLE BOOK. In 1999, Disney released the first DVD of the movie and the transfer was 1.33:1 which they insisted was the original theatrical ratio.

Off now eight years later in this new platinum edition that the aspect ratio is 1.75:1 which on the packaging is NOW listed as the original aspect ratio.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE having the film in an anamorphic transfer which looks visually lush without being garish. I'll have the sync up the two DVDs and compare the full frame version with the anamorphic version. There were one or two spots when it looked like Mowgli's head was getting chopped off just a bit at the top of the frame.

Also on the disc is a new Dolby Digital 5.1 enhancerd home theater mix along with the original mono mix. The surround mix does open up the music and put a little bit off low end sound in, but for the rest of the movie, it's not at all noticeable.

Matt H.

« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2007, 01:13:14 PM »

I started THE JUNGLE BOOK over again to listen to the audio commentary with the son of the director (who voiced Mowgli), one of the Sherman brothers, and one at the artists at Disney who greatly appreciates the film (his fist Disney animation as a kid which shows you how young he is).

THE JUNGLE BOOK has never been one of my favorite Disneys. Rather than a real plot, it's really just a series of encounters between Mowgli and various jungle creatures. Never really thought about it before but the plot is merely a walk through the jungle on the way to the "man village."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2007, 01:18:47 PM »

I asked Miss Blue Moon if she would like to hear THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X on CD, and this was her response.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #229 on: September 26, 2007, 01:19:50 PM »

DR td I have only recently read about Wainwright's salute to Judy, but I don't know what it's all about.

Does he sing her songs, show her movies, wear her clothes?  Or a combination of the three?  Any reviews?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2007, 01:21:41 PM »

Hoping that this is NOT the truck containing DR Ron Pulliam's DVD to its destination:

Oh.  Never mind.  That was DHL.

Besides, FedEx has been here.  UPS has been here.  USPS has been here.   All managed to make deliveries.  DHL insists the building was closed and not available for deliveries.  The security guard, however, knows DHL trucks well, and makes note of all who stop.  NO DHL TRUCK has stopped here today.  There is a driver who is totally not going to the right address....or ....is taking some personal time off.

DHL insists delivery will be made "tomorrow".  I equally insist that delivery be made "today" and that they find someone who can actually locate the address and deliver the package.  

We're exchanging e-mails, but I'm talking to logs.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #231 on: September 26, 2007, 01:23:24 PM »

I started THE JUNGLE BOOK over again to listen to the audio commentary with the son of the director (who voiced Mowgli), one of the Sherman brothers, and one at the artists at Disney who greatly appreciates the film (his fist Disney animation as a kid which shows you how young he is).

THE JUNGLE BOOK has never been one of my favorite Disneys. Rather than a real plot, it's really just a series of encounters between Mowgli and various jungle creatures. Never really thought about it before but the plot is merely a walk through the jungle on the way to the "man village."

This film is in the same class, for me, as Disney's "Robin Hood," "Fox and the Hound" and, to a lesser extent, "Pete's Dragon."  They all take a major effort on my part to sit through. And I don't do it willingly.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #232 on: September 26, 2007, 01:33:46 PM »

The second episode involved a man who would hold up banks and force the occupants of the bank to strip off their clohtes

Gives a new meaning to Clean and Strip!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #233 on: September 26, 2007, 01:34:47 PM »

VERY Strange Thing:

My "Mickey-Judy" box was just delivered by DHL.

I asked the driver what the deal was....and he was very surprised by the tracking information which I called up for him on my computer.  He had just left the DHL facility with new packages and mine was among them.  He said there was no way anyone could have attempted delivery earlier because it had not been on another truck.

Modern technology CAN suck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #234 on: September 26, 2007, 01:44:52 PM »

I attribute the successful delivery to shankshaw's "vibes."

THANKS.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #235 on: September 26, 2007, 01:46:14 PM »

So...everything I hoped to receive in the mail this week was delivered today.

Incredible.

Anything else is bonus.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:46:36 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #236 on: September 26, 2007, 01:47:47 PM »

VERY Strange Thing:

My "Mickey-Judy" box was just delivered by DHL.

I asked the driver what the deal was....and he was very surprised by the tracking information which I called up for him on my computer.  He had just left the DHL facility with new packages and mine was among them.  He said there was no way anyone could have attempted delivery earlier because it had not been on another truck.

Modern technology CAN suck.

Still, I am THRILED that you got it after all the effort. Maybe one day mine will come, and I can look at the box sitting on the shelf unopened because I'll be treading through another TV box set.

No complaints. I love TV, and the movies won't be going anywhere, so they'll be there when I'm ready and available to watch them.

My first will be BABES ON BROADWAY.

Ginny

« Reply #237 on: September 26, 2007, 01:47:50 PM »

I tried for about an hour and a half last night to call my mother and got a busy signal.  Didn't think too much about it, because she could have been on her dial-up computer or talking long distance to friends or relatives.  At lunchtime today, I tried again a few times, still getting a busy signal.  I called my aunt who lives in the same retirement community, but in a different court, and she said she'd had the same experience.  She'd called two other people in my mother's court and also gotten busy signals, so we suspect it's because of the installation of the new phone system.  In any case, I'm going straight to Mom's when I leave here in 10 minutes, which is what I wanted to set up with her by phone in the first place.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #238 on: September 26, 2007, 01:49:36 PM »

Just a quick hello...

DBF and I were roaming a DVD sale near the bookstore on campus. Many of the titles did not interest me until I looked in the next bin.. Below two movies with Pauly Shore in I noted a boxed set. I pulled the set out and to my surprise it was Upstairs, Downstairs. Here is the real kicker, it was selling for 4.99. Yes, 4.99!  Of course I bought them and I am now looking forward to viewing it.  I have seen parts of it here and there. Someday I would like to get Brideshead Revisited and Jewel in the Crown.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:50:45 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2007, 01:49:58 PM »

Still, I am THRILED that you got it after all the effort. Maybe one day mine will come, and I can look at the box sitting on the shelf unopened because I'll be treading through another TV box set.

No complaints. I love TV, and the movies won't be going anywhere, so they'll be there when I'm ready and available to watch them.

My first will be BABES ON BROADWAY.

I have to wonder:   If I had not tracked it and just waited it out, would it have come today?  Or....did my initial e-mail a couple of hours ago initiate a search that led to its being added to packages being delivered this afternoon?

I suppose I'll never know.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:50:23 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up