Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THIRD BRAIN  (Read 32670 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE THIRD BRAIN
« Reply #270 on: September 26, 2007, 04:07:42 PM »

Tomovoz, GET BETTER vibes for your friend Peter!

Edi, thanks for the close up of your lamp and of the view from your desk, both are lovely.

Elmore-congrats on being off the hook with the DMV, always a relief.

Td, great news the diet is working & the toe pain is gone.  

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #271 on: September 26, 2007, 04:08:33 PM »

VIXMOM - Your inbox is full!

not no more it ain't

;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2007, 04:09:04 PM »

For the food inclined, I found this over at Ruhlman's blog...

Press Release! The Golden Clog
New York, NY, Sept. 25--MICHAEL RUHLMAN and ANTHONY BOURDAIN are pleased to announce:

The 1st ANNUAL GOLDEN CLOG AWARDS
The Best and Worst of the Year in Food

Nominees and categories to be announced in the Fall of 2007 shall be selected by an Advisory Board consisting of noted experts and authorities including chef/restaurateur and television personality Mario Batali, Next Iron Chef contender Michael Symon, journalists Russ Parsons in Los Angeles, Ed Levine and Jennifer Leuzzi in New York, and Dara Moskowitz in the heartland, among other notable and questionable authorities.

Winners will be decided unilaterally and unscientifically by Messrs. Ruhlman and Bourdain at the prestigious Awards Ceremony, to be held at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival in February 2008.  While the presence of winners cannot be guaranteed or even recommended, celebrity presenters shall be in attendance. The valuable, vintage clogs given to those winners who do show up shall surely take their places among the Greatest Honors of Recorded History!

Award Categories include:

THE "FERGUS" AWARD —  for best achievement in offal.

THE "ALTON" AWARD —  for the food personality who can actually cook.

THE "MARIO" AWARD —  for the chef/restaurateur who best multi-tasked, merchandised, multi-platformed and generally whored himself or herself yet still continued to make significant and valuable contributions to the restaurant landscape.

THE "ROCCO" AWARD —  for worst career move by a talented chef.

THE "CHEF'S CHEF" AWARD —  for the least heralded yet most deserving working chef.

And many more!  Stay tuned to this blog for updates!

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2007, 04:11:10 PM »

Bitter is better with butter.

Betty Botter bought some butter,
"But," she said, "the butter's bitter;
If I put it in my batter,
It will make my batter bitter;
But a bit of better butter,
That would make my batter better."
So she bought a bit of butter,
Better than her bitter butter,
And she put it in her batter,
And the batter was not bitter;
So 'twas better Betty Botter
Bought a bit of better butter

Jane

« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2007, 04:14:24 PM »

Hoping that this is NOT the truck containing DR Ron Pulliam's DVD to its destination:

Or one driven my MBarnum's brother-Just teasing.  I know he drives better than that.

vixmom

« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2007, 04:17:39 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

looks like today you went for a swim!

Jane

« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2007, 04:18:20 PM »

I just put down the pencil: I scored 101 measures of music and I've got about 90 to go.  I'll stop by Staples and copy it, then run down to the copyists and drop off the original 26 or so pages, run to the performance, see everyone and head back home to finish this baby.

WOW! Continued getting all the work done vibes!

vixmom

« Reply #277 on: September 26, 2007, 04:19:22 PM »

Just a quick hello...

DBF and I were roaming a DVD sale near the bookstore on campus. Many of the titles did not interest me until I looked in the next bin.. Below two movies with Pauly Shore in I noted a boxed set. I pulled the set out and to my surprise it was Upstairs, Downstairs. Here is the real kicker, it was selling for 4.99. Yes, 4.99!  Of course I bought them and I am now looking forward to viewing it.  I have seen parts of it here and there. Someday I would like to get Brideshead Revisited and Jewel in the Crown.

I am extremely jealous.  I have been wanting this set for a looooong time and it has always been way too expensive.... wanna go back and see if there is another set hiding in the bottom of that bin?

;D

Jane

« Reply #278 on: September 26, 2007, 04:20:01 PM »

Thanks, Ginny! I adore her, and she was great in the show!!

I bet she makes it easy to be a proud aunt.

I have always appreciated a good vacuum cleaner, wise decision getting a good one.

Jane

« Reply #279 on: September 26, 2007, 04:22:13 PM »

I asked Miss Blue Moon if she would like to hear THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X on CD, and this was her response.  ;D

:D ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2007, 04:28:46 PM »

From Michael Dale:

The Brain From Planet X

Bruce Kimmel (book, score and direction) and David Wechter's (book) musical may be a spoof of 1950's low-budget sci-fi flicks, but its roots are solidly embedded in musical comedy.  From the borscht belt jokes to the wildly comic performances to the spiffy show-biz score, pretty tap-dancing showgirls and buff showboys, The Brain From Planet X struts its considerable assets in an unapologetic quest to entertain.  And entertain it does.  I laughed, I tapped my toes, I laughed some more and had a swell time.

Looking a little like Phil Silvers in a straightjacket, the hilariously diabolical Barry Pearl wears an enormous brain headdress and big black glasses as the title character, determined to conquer earth by sapping us of our emotions and love for the American suburban way.  Alet Taylor, as fellow alien Yoni (decked out like an intergalactic Ann-Margret), stops the show dead with her vamp number "I Need An Earthman."  Her Planet X associate, Zubrick (Cason Murphy) is a bit of a tight-ass, but once he discovers Earth's greatest cultural achievement, musical theatre, he becomes a dancing fool and exuberantly leads the chorus in a smashing number called "The Brain Tap."  (The night I attended there were some difficulties with the microphones, but Murphy was loud and clearly heard singing over a multitude of tapping feet.)

Back on Earth, General Mills of the United States Army (a bellowing Richard Pruitt), assisted by Private Partz (Chad Harlow, who has no lines but whose subtle reactions are a scream) recruit part-time inventor Fred Bunson (a nicely earnest Rob Evans) to help save the planet.  But it may be too late to save Fred's wife, Joyce ( Amy Bodnar, who continually flashes an eerily toothy smile).  Meanwhile, Merrill Grant is a comical whirlwind as libido-charged teenager Donna Bunson, who can belt out the catchy "Good Girl/Bad Girl" while athletically flinging herself all over her beat poet boyfriend (Paul Downs Colaizzo).

Kimmel's direction is in the classic George Abbott style of faster, louder, funnier, with jokes ranging from sly and satirical (one of Fred's inventions is a device to help 1950's teenagers develop a taste for tobacco) to the lowest of wordplay ("You wouldn't know the Earth from Uranus.").  Adam Cates' flashy choreography and Jessa-Raye Court's colorful costumes add to the fun, making The Brain From Planet X a terrific time for tired businessmen, matinee ladies and over-caffeinated kids alike.

Bravo!  That is a little more like it.

I find it interesting that the gentleman who slammed the show at Broadwayworld used several phrases that were identical to a bad review that was given to the CD.  Small world, eh?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #281 on: September 26, 2007, 04:29:17 PM »

Time to get dinner cooking.

A "Greek" salad.

Roast lamb.

And taters.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »

Matt-LOL, I had a similar incident only my problem was due to the cotton off of a q-tip.  After it was removed I was amazed how well I could hear out of my right ear. :D I asked the doctor to do the same to my left ear, no go as that one does have some nerve damage. :(

Jane

« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »

Thanks DRs for the Vibes for Peter. He has 3 problems and it is very difficult to get the medications to deal with each without effecting the others adversley.  His liver function is the major problem at the moment so all other medications have ceased. At least his attitude to the fight is good - this time last year it was a major concern. I was not sure I would see him when I returned from the USA HHW tour.

I remember Peter now.

Jane

« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2007, 04:35:47 PM »

Ron, I’m very pleased your packages arrived for you today & you may now relax and enjoy them.

MBarnum, I vaguely remember WHIRLYBIRDS

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2007, 04:40:14 PM »

It was great to meet DR Jeanne today and to see DRs singdaw, Musicguy, Jason, Jose, FJL, and Miss Karen today!  I suspect I missed someone, but they were all assembling in the lobby after the show for dinner.  I headed back here: I think I'll lay out the rest of the score and number the bars and pages.  Then, if there's time, I'll write the ending so it's good.  I'd like to be in bed by 9 pm and get up at 4:30 or so.  My goal is to finish the piece no later than 3 pm tomorrow and take it down to the copyists.

As for "The Brain," I believe we had our smallest audience but they seemed to enjoy the show.  I'll let the other DRs ost their thoughts on that.  My friends Richard Norton, producer of EATING RAUL and the wonderful UNIDENTIFIED HUMAN REMAINS AND THE TRUE NATURE OF LOVE, and Mark Robinson, who's directing the musical based on GEMINI in NYMF this year, were in attendance.  They both loved the show and Richard told me the cast was perfect with not a weak link.

Now, a bit of dinner and some work.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2007, 04:46:11 PM »

Thanks for the first BRAIN update.  The good news just continues. :)

Jane

« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2007, 04:46:42 PM »

Ron, I’m very pleased your packages arrived for you today & you may now relax and enjoy them.

MBarnum, I vaguely remember WHIRLYBIRDS.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2007, 04:47:35 PM »

If it's not too late (for tonight, anyway)...

~~~BRAIN VIBES IN NYC!!~~~

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 04:48:56 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2007, 04:55:29 PM »

While too late for poor MusicGuy, SAFE AND EASY TRAVEL VIBES for all those about to hit the road, or skies.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2007, 04:55:31 PM »

Here's a picture of my niece Sophie as Sister Amnesia in NUNSENSE!

Very cute?  Whose lap is she sitting on anyway?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Kerry

« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2007, 04:58:38 PM »

It was great to meet DR Jeanne today and to see DRs singdaw, Musicguy, Jason, Jose, FJL, and Miss Karen today!  I suspect I missed someone, but they were all assembling in the lobby after the show for dinner.  I headed back here: I think I'll lay out the rest of the score and number the bars and pages.  Then, if there's time, I'll write the ending so it's good.  I'd like to be in bed by 9 pm and get up at 4:30 or so.  My goal is to finish the piece no later than 3 pm tomorrow and take it down to the copyists.

MusicGuy had better have given everyone hugs from me.  I'm a big hugger, and you can't really escape it.   Kind of like a mosquitoe buzzing around your ear that just quite won't go away!   ::)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 04:59:49 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2007, 05:07:02 PM »

Very cute?  Whose lap is she sitting on anyway?

Har har!

I was really amazed at how she could change from the puppet voice, which was very gravelly, to the very high register she sang in with ease, as well as being able to talk and manipulating the puppet at the same time without having any training.

Well, she did have a voice teacher at one time. The teacher apparently had auditioned for the same role and didn't get it. She came to see the show and was very critical of Sophie's performance and quite disgruntled and didn't come back after intermission.

Sophie was rather hurt that she didn't stay for the rest of the show. I'm glad I wasn't there that night. How immature! She should be proud that her student did so well. Grow up, lady!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »

MusicGuy had better have given everyone hugs from me.  I'm a big hugger, and you can't really escape it.   Kind of like a mosquitoe buzzing around your ear that just quite won't go away!   ::)

All that man does is hug!  However, I'm not sure which one was meant to be from you, so you and he will have to clarify the finer points of all such transactions.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2007, 05:21:24 PM »

DWS line from an audience member   "I wanted to skinny dip in his eyes"

vixmom

« Reply #295 on: September 26, 2007, 05:27:35 PM »

I just saw a commercial for womens; clothing, I think it was Talbots, but it starts out with her walkingaling the wallnext to Central Park at the far South end, where Danise, Vicky & I started our carriage ride, and where we saw that poor lady get hit by a city bus, then it continued with her walking down the path by the Central Park Zoo, then  standing by the Resevior .... she was taking the JoseSPiano/HHW Central Park Tour!!!

BTW Jose, what was the name of that wonderful place where we had brunch that morning?  

vixmom

« Reply #296 on: September 26, 2007, 05:29:02 PM »

2 more workdays until the HHW weekend

as the Vixter would say... I'm getting psyched!!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #297 on: September 26, 2007, 05:32:30 PM »

I just saw a commercial for womens; clothing, I think it was Talbots, but it starts out with her walkingaling the wallnext to Central Park at the far South end, where Danise, Vicky & I started our carriage ride, and where we saw that poor lady get hit by a city bus, then it continued with her walking down the path by the Central Park Zoo, then  standing by the Resevior .... she was taking the JoseSPiano/HHW Central Park Tour!!!

BTW Jose, what was the name of that wonderful place where we had brunch that morning?  

Was it something like Sarabeth's Kitchen?   That may not be the woman's name

Cillaliz

« Reply #298 on: September 26, 2007, 05:32:47 PM »

I saw that commercial too!

Cillaliz

« Reply #299 on: September 26, 2007, 05:35:20 PM »

I'm getting really psyched.  I'm working in the morning for a while, then Sam arrives and we go to Omaha in the afternoon.  We shall dine in Omaha and try to get some sleep so we can get to the airport for our 5:50 AM flight Friday morning.  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up