Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FULL REPORT  (Read 23318 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE FULL REPORT
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2007, 03:38:46 PM »

I wonder if the writers strike will affect awards shows or events like that. Or do they fly by the seat of their pants for those.
Presenter: "And the nominees for best writing for a drama are..."

Heckler from Audience: "Get yourself a script, ya ain't funny!"

Presenter: "*sigh*  These award shows aren't known for being funny, anyway."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2007, 03:44:36 PM »

Loved Jrand's review and Shayne's too, although he's got a word wrong that makes it seem like the lead character pretends she's someone else.  I'll drop him a line so he can fix it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2007, 03:45:11 PM »

I had to ship out the Brain scores for the Brunel University production, and I'll begin addressing envelopes in a little while.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2007, 03:45:31 PM »

I don't know that mine allows that kind of specificity.  I tell it to record a "program"...either a one-time thing or, in the case of one show, all new episodes.  It seems to be at the mercy of programming (i.e, 10-11 a.m., or whatever the "block" is that the program appears in).  When shows end one or two minutes after the hour, I don't get those one or two minutes.  And if I'm recording shows back to back, I often miss the first 10-20 seconds of the second show.

i'm surprised you don't have the option to adjust the beginning & ending times.  this is likely a silly question but have u double checked under the season pass recording options?

i don't use it very often, and definitely if the time then overlaps with another show.

Jane

« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2007, 03:47:13 PM »

I'm currently using ActivTrax.  When I signed up for my current gym membership, a 30-day free trial of ActivTrax came with it, so I figured I'd give it a try.  So far, so good.  Although, I have a feeling after the initial 30 days, I will probably venture on my own once I have a better idea of what I want and need to concentrate on.  In the meantime, it's been a great source of variety during my time at the gym.

interesting.  i thought it was funny a printer told u what your workout would be;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2007, 04:03:02 PM »

Off to the theatre...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM »

A box from Jessica's Biscuit arrived today.

As a result, along with a book about someone named Hofstetter, I now have waiting on my nightstand:

The Automat: The History, Recipes, and Allure of Horn & Hardart's Masterpiece, by Lorraine B Diehl and Marianne Hardart.  Title pretty much sums things up.

The Four Seasons: A History of America's Premier Restaurant, by John Mariani with Alex von Bidder.  At the intersection of James Beard, Craig Claiborne, and the Seagrams Building.

With the Grain, by Raymond Sokolov.  About wheat, corn, rice, oats, barley... Sokolov is a witty writer, so this should be interesting, not starchy at all.

Fragrant Harbour Taste: The New Chinese Cooking of Hong Kong, by Kenneth Hom.  Again, the title pretty much says it.

James McNair's Favorites.  McNair has been writing cookbooks for a long time, and has a good rep.  He named the book after himself.  Some people are like that.

The Way We Are, by Margaret Visser.  A collection of essays by a self-described "anthropologist of everyday life."  Does anyone who writes books lack an ego?  Or a knack for self-promotion?

Fruitcakes & Couch Potatoes... and other delicious expressions, by Christine Ammer.  She's a lexicographer, the book is about words and food.  A trifle.  In both senses of the word.  Just for fun.

And, finally, Food, by Ogden Nash.

Well, that's what was ordered.  It's not what they sent.

Instead, what arrived was Food: The History of Taste, edited by Paul Freedman.  

Food, by Ogden Nash, runs about 78 pages.  I was intending to give it to the younger grandlad.

Food, edited by Paul Freedman, runs about 368 pages, and is intended as a history of the connections between food and culture.  It's not something I would give to either grandlad.

It turns out that the release date for Food, edited by Paul Freedman, is November 6, 2007.  Food, by Ogden Nash, has been around for some time (just as poor Ogden Nash hasn't been around for a while).  So I can understand the mix-up - why wouldn't someone ordering a book want the one that is just being released?  And the Freedman does look interesting.

Still, it means we've got to go back and re-order the Ogden Nash, if we're going to have it on time as a Christmas gift.

And in any case, the Hofstetter has the priority position in my reading stack.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 04:17:03 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2007, 04:19:21 PM »

I should see about getting dinner cooking.  Tonight, Meatballs Burgundy, a ground beef version of the classic French stew.

Jane

« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »

Awhile back I got THIS toy for Sherlock.  He absolutely loves it.

I can’t let him just play with it, two seconds & he can eat through the tire.  I keep it on the counter & pull it down occasionally.  The sounds it makes are truly loud, obnoxious & very funny.  I can tolerate this occasionally since it makes him so happy.  

I swear the thing is going to give me a heart attack. ;D It sits quietly on the counter, not far from where I am sitting at the computer, and periodically begins to make noises all on its own.  I practically jump out of my seat & go through contortions trying to shut it up.  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 04:26:48 PM by Jane »

singdaw

« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2007, 04:25:06 PM »

I was intrigued by DR SWW's mention of the Horn & Hardart  book.  In researching at Amazon, I see that someone has provided what they claim is a more authentic recipe for Horn & Hardart's classic mac & cheese than the one in the book:

MACARONI AND CHEESE

1lb. Ziti Rigati
1/8 tsp. Red Pepper
6Tbs. Flour
1/8 tsp. White Pepper
6 Tbs. Butter
4Tbs. Light Cream
6 C. Milk
3C. Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 tsp. Salt
1 C. Crushed Tomatoes
2 tsp. Sugar

Boil ziti until barely cooked. Drain and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat, blend in flour and cook 2 minutes.

Beat in the milk, then the cream and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Stir in the cheese until melted, then add the tomatoes, salt, sugar and two peppers.

Add cheese mixture to the ziti.

Pour into a baking pan and bake in a preheated 400* oven until top browns and bubbles.

**To Freeze: Pour into aluminum pans, seal and place in freezer. DO NOT BAKE BEFORE FREEZING.

**To Bake Frozen Macaroni and Cheese: Allow to defrost before baking. Uncover and place in 400* oven and bake until top is brown and bubbling.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 05:15:10 PM by singdaw »

singdaw

« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »

DR Jane:   ;D

I just may have to order one of those!  And I don't have any excuse that I haven't been warned!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2007, 04:27:36 PM »

So, DR JMK - how's cookin' in the new kitchen?

singdaw

« Reply #222 on: November 06, 2007, 04:28:08 PM »

Are you making Manhattan Clam Chowder [tomato based] or New England Clam Chowder, with a cream base?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2007, 04:39:35 PM »

I was intrigued by DR SWW's mention of the Horn & Hardart  book.  In researching at Amazon, I see that someone has provided what they claim is a more authentic recipe for Horn & Hardart's classic mac & cheese than the one in the book:

MACARONI AND CHEESE

1lb. Ziti Rigati 1/8 tsp. Red Pepper
6Tbs. Flour 1/8 tsp. White Pepper
6 Tbs. Butter 4Tbs. Light Cream
6 C. Milk 3C. Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 tsp. Salt 1C. Crushed Tomatoes
2 tsp. Sugar

Boil ziti until barely cooked. Drain and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat, blend in flour and cook 2 minutes.

Beat in the milk, then the cream and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Stir in the cheese until melted, then add the tomatoes, salt, sugar and two peppers.

Add cheese mixture to the ziti.

Pour into a baking pan and bake in a preheated 400* oven until top browns and bubbles.

**To Freeze: Pour into aluminum pans, seal and place in freezer. DO NOT BAKE BEFORE FREEZING.

**To Bake Frozen Macaroni and Cheese: Allow to defrost before baking. Uncover and place in 400* oven and bake until top is brown and bubbling.

This sounds so good!  Thanks for posting it! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2007, 04:42:44 PM »

Awhile back I got THIS toy for Sherlock.  He absolutely loves it.

I can’t let him just play with it, two seconds & he can eat through the tire.  I keep it on the counter & pull it down occasionally.  The sounds it makes are truly loud, obnoxious & very funny.  I can tolerate this occasionally since it makes him so happy.  

I swear the thing is going to give me a heart attack. ;D It sits quietly on the counter, not far from where I am sitting at the computer, and periodically begins to make noises all on its own.  I practically jump out of my seat & go through contortions trying to shut it up.  

I know someone who would love one.....may have to order one myself.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #225 on: November 06, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »

Freeze THEN bake!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #226 on: November 06, 2007, 04:43:33 PM »

Glad u liked the review, MR BK!!!  

That is my DRJANE impression.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 04:44:07 PM by JRand57 »

Jane

« Reply #227 on: November 06, 2007, 04:44:56 PM »

DR Jane:   ;D

I just may have to order one of those!  And I don't have any excuse that I haven't been warned!  :)

;D  Is Zach a chewer?  I really can't let Sherlock chew on it all all, 2 seconds and pieces break off.  I keep taking it from him, throwing it and even playing chase.  He loves that as I won't normally chase him.

Let me know if you get it.  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: November 06, 2007, 04:45:59 PM »

Hope vixmom writes hers tonight!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: November 06, 2007, 04:46:20 PM »

For a day in which I was supposed to relax, I haven't stopped.  Maybe tomorrow.

Jane

« Reply #230 on: November 06, 2007, 04:52:05 PM »

Glad u liked the review, MR BK!!!  

That is my DRJANE impression.  ;D

;D

George

« Reply #231 on: November 06, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »

I'm listening to the recording of Anna Karenina with Melissa Errico as Anna.  I went to the Internet Broadway Database for this show and I didn't realize that Gregg Edelman, who sings the role of Constantin Levin, actually played the part in the Broadway production!  That's pretty cool!  Also, Melissa was in that same production, but she played the role of Kitty (who is sung by Kerry Butler on this recording) and understudied Anna.  The other people on this recording are Brian d'Arcy James (calling MBarnum!), Jeff McCarthy and Marc Kudisch.  All are very good.  And I'm actually enjoying this CD. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #232 on: November 06, 2007, 04:59:14 PM »

the recipe looks good.  i'm curious what the diff is between this & the book.  it is possible the recipe evolved over time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 05:08:00 PM by Jane »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #233 on: November 06, 2007, 05:02:03 PM »

I'm glad to hear the show went well last night!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

« Reply #234 on: November 06, 2007, 05:07:53 PM »

Horn & Hardart sign.  i don't know how to post it.

http://www.14to42.net/38street2.html

Here you go:

:)

Cillaliz

« Reply #235 on: November 06, 2007, 05:13:16 PM »

RE: last night's DANCING WITH THE STARS.

I will be so curious to see who is B2 this week.  I am guessing Cameron and Jennie Garth.  But it is so hard to predict.

I actually loved a bunch of performances last night.

Surprisingly (i have been very hard on marie osmond). But i thought her first number was incredible (how much weight has she lost, she looks good).  I also really liked cameron's 2nd number (jive).

I still like helio and julianne best.

I thought marie's 2nd number was the weakest of the night.

I loved loved loved Mel's 2nd number (in that hot black outfit). But didn't really like the first. She is really a good dancer, and probably should not have been on the show (since it does not seem like it takes much effort for her to learn the dances or do well).

I think jane was probably the weakest last night.

And i just can't believe how good marie was in that first number.

My mom and I had the same reaction about Marie

singdaw

« Reply #236 on: November 06, 2007, 05:22:21 PM »

Is Zach a chewer?

Not so much.  And he only takes toys that have been given to him...never shoes or any objects belonging to the humans.  Isn't that great?  :)

Jane

« Reply #237 on: November 06, 2007, 05:22:31 PM »

thanks george.  i deleted my post with the link to the sign.

Jane

« Reply #238 on: November 06, 2007, 05:26:52 PM »

Zach is a very good boy.  i'm not positive Sherlock has outgrown his interest in my books.  to be on the safe side i try not to leave them in his face, otherwise he is very good, only chewing on his own toys.  sometimes he takes a shoe to one of his beds, just for the fun of it, not to chew on it. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 05:27:05 PM by Jane »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #239 on: November 06, 2007, 05:29:15 PM »

For a day in which I was supposed to relax, I haven't stopped.  Maybe tomorrow.
That's decompression for you.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up