Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: 'TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY  (Read 26778 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:'TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2007, 03:10:11 PM »

Question for Cillaliz:

Obama 27.2
Clinton 26.8
Edwards 22.6

der Brucer

The top two are literally neck an neck. DBF is an Edwards fan
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »

DBF would like to see an Edwards - Obama ticket
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2007, 03:14:18 PM »

DR Elmore, you should see SLEEPY HOLLOW on Blu-ray. A really mind-blowing experience, as close to 3-D as can be found without any 3-D process. It was one of my first Blu-ray purchases.

I would love to.  I first saw the previews for the film at the opening night of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT and I really liked the look of the film.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #213 on: December 01, 2007, 03:17:42 PM »

I don't think I have ever seen a Tim Burton movie.

MBarnum

« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »

I finished watching John Abraham in NO SMOKING. It was less of a Bollywood film and more an art film...seemed like some kind of abstract French film. It was well done and entertaining, but strange...and no song and dance numbers.

Now I am watching a Fibber McGee and Molly movie which also just happens to have Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Ginny Simms and several other old radio stars...it is very funny.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2007, 03:21:08 PM »

Well, his films are mainly for grown-ups :D

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2007, 03:31:42 PM »

DR Singsong relaxes between gigs:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2007, 03:36:34 PM »

Just when I was ready to give up hope, we have developed a snow sky here, and it has started to snow.
Unfotunately at the current rate that it is falling, it would take all night to get an inch of this stuff.

It's been snowing off and on today, down here in the Olympia/Tumwater area.  I was planning on going to work for a few hours, but I didn't. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #218 on: December 01, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »

Yesterday, Cilla wrote
...have we heard from DR George? Was he eaten by Zombies???

Last night's opening night of Nite of the Living Dead! The Musical went quite well!  We had a great audience and they laughed throughout the whole show.  But we ended eight minutes later than our final dress/preview performance. :-\ Pug, our director, had wanted the show to be about two and a half hours, which was the length on Thursday, but I think that it was mosty very nervous energy at having an audience for the first time, so everyone just barreled through it all.  Last night, we were a bit more comfortable and didn't have that nervousness, and consequently, less speed.  I hope the show doesn't get longer and longer as the performances go on...that would NOT be good.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #219 on: December 01, 2007, 03:44:51 PM »

And Thanks Ginny, Jane, Edi, Dakota for the Nite good wishes! :-*

George

« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2007, 03:48:27 PM »

Ron, Congrats on your 15,000+ Posts! :D

George

« Reply #221 on: December 01, 2007, 03:50:05 PM »

The real lyrics were:
Revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night

But I misheard them as:
Wrapped up like a douche
Another rumour in the night

http://www.kissthisguy.com/lyric.php?id=4443

I'd never known what the original lyrics were supposed to be.  Cilla, the way you misheard these is exactly what I thought they were.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 03:52:28 PM by George »

George

« Reply #222 on: December 01, 2007, 03:57:48 PM »

Well, I need to be going for now.  I have some laundry to do, a shower to take, other things to do, etc., etc., etc....before the show tonight.

Have a good day, all.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #223 on: December 01, 2007, 04:04:24 PM »

And the word of the day is: NOVERCAL!
Morgan told her Daddy, "Your LOVER CAN sleep over, won't bother me, but I don't want her to get all NOVERCAL at me.  That would be too wierd."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2007, 04:29:14 PM »

Noooo! That's NOT what we want! We want the gas contained and going to where it'd supposed to!  :)

Oh!  Then you will want lots of cheese on your chili.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #225 on: December 01, 2007, 04:33:41 PM »

The rain stopped.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #226 on: December 01, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »

Der B- to answer your question

First of all, I don't believe the polls. They have never been accurate about the caucuses.  During the last campaign, as of New Year's Eve, then a couple weeks before caucuses, John Kerry was still in a distant third or maybe even fourth. Howard Dean was still considered unbeatable in the polls. We all know how that came out.

Secondly, the caucuses really aren't just a vote, they are a fluid thing. Our primary isn't until June. What we do at the caucuses is determine delegates to the county convention. There they pick delegates to the district and there they pick the delegates to the state where they pick delegates to the national convention. If you are a delegate, you can change you vote at any stage of the game. So, it's really a goofy system

Thirdly, I'm still a Richardson fan and am a Richardson precinct chair right now, but that doesn't mean on caucus night I won't have to change my vote.  The way the precinct caucuses work is that you go to the caucus site and the registered voters sign in.  At the starting time the doors are locked (well at least figuratively) and a count is taken of eligible caucus goers. Challenges to people who may not really be eligible are made  and observers have to go to a part of the room away from those who are eligible. People are given the opportunity to present resolutions that they would like to have made a part of the party platform. These are voted on and then you physically divide up into groups based on who you support.  (sometimes the process is reversed) .

Now the math part. At this point you calculate what I think it's 15% of the total number of eligible voters is.  Then you count the number of people for each candidate if it's 15% or more the candidate is viable and will get at least one delegate. If the candidate doesn't have 15%, then the candidate is not viable. BUT, then everyone is free to try to convince others to join their candidate, so a candidate who wasn't viable can become viable and visa versa.

So, even though I'm a precinct chair, if my precinct doesn't have 15% support for Richardson I will either have to go to another candidate or go to the undecided group (if that is viable).  The whole process can take around 3 hours or so.

At this point I am still for Richardson with Edwards as my second choice.Don't count Richardson out of getting in the top 3, his goal for Iowa.  He has gone to all 99 counties in Iowa and a delegate in the middle of nowhere means the same as a delegate from Des Moines or Iowa City. And you never know who will really turn out on caucus night.  It's January 3, so many of the college students will be on break and families may be on vacation etc. No one is quite sure how that will effect turn out.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 04:36:28 PM by Cillaliz »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #227 on: December 01, 2007, 04:38:55 PM »

WE have 6 inches and wind on the ground and it is still snowing...

Good day to stay inside with a book and a mug of hot chocolate

If you have already had six inches of snow there, perhaps you should add some peppermint schnapps to that hot chocolate.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #228 on: December 01, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »

How about a Richard Burton film?
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #229 on: December 01, 2007, 04:51:06 PM »

I was very disheartened to see what BBC is asking for the TORCHWOOD box set. It's 13 episodes, and they're asking more than the asking price for any American series that normally has 22-24 episodes.

Looks like I'll be looking for a used copy (or wait for Deep Discount's summer 20% off sale).
Like Doctor Who's companion series Doctor Who Confidential, there is a making-of companion called Torchwood Declassified, nubbins of which we've seen during the commercial breaks.  And, like DW on DVD, my bet is that the Torchwood DVD set will include TD.  So getting the Torchwood set will be like getting two series at once.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2007, 04:51:41 PM »

And now for your viewing and entertainment pleasure - comedy when it used to be FUNNY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wNK1Jt4JLg&feature=related

Cillaliz

« Reply #231 on: December 01, 2007, 04:52:28 PM »

I must admit, I watched Edwards speak on TV today. He says exactly what I want to hear about my issues.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2007, 04:52:47 PM »

And another, featuring Julius Wechter's composition Spanish Flea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIa7GYstYOQ&feature=related

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2007, 04:52:58 PM »

How about a Richard Burton film?
I can't imagine Richard Burton in a Tim Burton movie.

Although Tim Burton directing Exorcist II certainly would have been an improvement.  (Think Mars Attacks with vomit!)

Cillaliz

« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2007, 04:55:37 PM »

And I am sick of the TV commercials that started almost a year ago, I am sick of the phone calls, I am sick of all of the candidates....I can't wait until the caucuses are over and they all go somewhere else. That's all I have to say about politics
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 04:56:25 PM by Cillaliz »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: December 01, 2007, 04:56:06 PM »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #236 on: December 01, 2007, 04:58:59 PM »

Cilla: Thank-you for explaining the political process in Iowa, particularly in your articulate way.  It's so good to have this kind of discussion without the rhetoric that can make things nasty when they don't have to be.

To your knowledge, does the Republican party mirror the Democrat in how the delegates are selected?  Or are there differences?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #237 on: December 01, 2007, 05:01:52 PM »

And, of course, TORCHWOOD's season finale is tonight. Yes, DR Ron Pulliam, it's been on 13 weeks.

As usual, I'll record the 9 p.m. broadcast and watch at 10 or later so I can speed through commercials and get only program.
The episode "Utopia" from Doctor Who Series Three is ready to be cued in, to segue from the end of Torchwood to Captain Jack's hitching a ride on the Tardis!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #238 on: December 01, 2007, 05:07:55 PM »

The phone calls haven't started here yet. We'll probably unplug the phone when they start.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2007, 05:09:04 PM »

...A few weeks ago, I bought the kids a tub of these freeze-dried pieces of cod (not to be confused with freeze-dried cod pieces, which are somthing else entirely)....
Oh, come now, it doesn't really get that cold during those Tacoma winters, does it?

It does?  REALLY?  Wow.   :o

;D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up