Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FINAL FRIDAY OF 2007  (Read 53916 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:THE FINAL FRIDAY OF 2007
« Reply #450 on: December 28, 2007, 08:27:29 PM »

I find it interesting but ND does not really get a voice in the primaries. Matter of fact Obama and Clinton just opened offices here. Not sure if edwards does.

I have heard that Romney and Giuliani have offices. I am not interested in either person
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

FJL

« Reply #451 on: December 28, 2007, 08:38:27 PM »

Just caught up on lots of pages.  

Got back a while ago from a late-ish dinner with DR Julie at Pietrasanta.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #452 on: December 28, 2007, 08:43:07 PM »

Loved those FOLLIES clips. They brought back so many wonderful memories. Oh, what a magnificent show!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #453 on: December 28, 2007, 08:44:40 PM »

I began my evening of viewing by finishing the rest of the bonus features on the ZODIAC set. The last section examined in detail the case for and against the man suspected of being the Zodiac. How amazing that the evidence they have is still inconclusive!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #454 on: December 28, 2007, 08:45:40 PM »

I love SLEEPY HOLLOW! I haven't seen it in over a year, and it's so much like the SWEENEY TODD film in so many ways:
   Nuclear family: Ichabod-Katrina-Maspeth  &  Sweeney-Lovett-Toby
   Desaturated colors in SLEEPY HOLLOW until the endng when the sun suddenly comes out over the Hudson, which it never does in London
   Background sequences in brighter colors: Young Ichabod & Mother vs Sweeney & Lucy
   Ichabod and Sweeney both haunted by their pasts
   There are two lines in SLEEPY HOLLOW from Bernstein musicals: Ichabod says to Katrina's question where are they going "Anywhere but here" which is the Old Lady's line in CANDIDE in "Quiet" and the paraphrase of "New York New York"at the end: the Bronx is up and the Battery's down, both added to the screenplay, I suspect, by Tom Stoppard.

I watched thre "making of" feature and in many places, Burton could be talking about his views on SWEENEY TODD. Cathie and Alice want to borrow SLEEPY HOLLOW so I'll run it over to them tomorrow.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #455 on: December 28, 2007, 08:45:57 PM »

Next, I opened the second season of GUNSMOKE, and there in the first episode of the season was Tommy Kirk playing the son of a farm family who hated and didn't trust doctors. Naturally, the father gets sick.

Matt H.

« Reply #456 on: December 28, 2007, 08:47:16 PM »

I love SLEEPY HOLLOW! I haven't seen it in over a year, and it's so much like the SWEENEY TODD film in so many ways:
   Nuclear family: Ichabod-Katrina-Maspeth  &  Sweeney-Lovett-Toby
   Desaturated colors in SLEEPY HOLLOW until the endng when the sun suddenly comes out over the Hudson, which it never does in London
   Background sequences in brighter colors: Young Ichabod & Mother vs Sweeney & Lucy
   Ichabod and Sweeney both haunted by their pasts
   There are two lines in SLEEPY HOLLOW from Bernstein musicals: Ichabod says to Katrina's question where are they going "Anywhere but here" which is the Old Lady's line in CANDIDE in "Quiet" and the paraphrase of "New York New York"at the end: the Bronx is up and the Battery's down, both added to the screenplay, I suspect, by Tom Stoppard.

I watched thre "making of" feature and in many places, Burton could be talking about his views on SWEENEY TODD. Cathie and Alice want to borrow SLEEPY HOLLOW so I'll run it over to them tomorrow.

I like it, too, and loved it in high def on Blu-ray. Amazing visuals even with that desaturated look.

Matt H.

« Reply #457 on: December 28, 2007, 08:48:39 PM »

I did flip over to GHOST WHISPERER. This may have been the very first GW episode I ever saw (it was a season 2 episode). I remembered that Pitoc was in it, but didn't remember how it all worked out in the end, so I continued watching the entire hour.

And any chance to see the wonderful Fredric Lane is always a treat.

Matt H.

« Reply #458 on: December 28, 2007, 08:50:06 PM »

I then continued watching more GUNSMOKE episodes, some of which I actually remembered from all those decades ago.

I noticed Sam Peckinpagh wrote the teleplay for one of episodes.

Matt H.

« Reply #459 on: December 28, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »

Never did turn on the DVR tonight to watch today's AS THE WORLD TURNS, so I guess I'll get to that tomorrow.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #460 on: December 28, 2007, 08:52:34 PM »

Don't read Elmore's  comments....    ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 08:53:41 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #461 on: December 28, 2007, 08:53:40 PM »

Never did turn on the DVR tonight to watch today's AS THE WORLD TURNS, so I guess I'll get to that tomorrow.

DR Matt H, trust me, you can breeze through it really fast!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #462 on: December 28, 2007, 08:59:44 PM »

and I agree....

Matt H.

« Reply #463 on: December 28, 2007, 09:19:07 PM »

I have some writing to do, but I think I'll save it until tomorrow because my eyes are feeling heavy, and I need to get to bed.

Good night!

td

• td
« Reply #464 on: December 28, 2007, 09:32:12 PM »

What do you mean "no URL for it"??

Whenever I go there there's an embed link, but not one for a URL. . . :'(
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #465 on: December 28, 2007, 10:18:50 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from Richmond!

The picture taking went well, although, for some reason the lighting was kept low in the room, and the shots look dark to me, but since I wasn't the photographer, well...

It was a nice, albeit quick visit with my brother, Jay.  He'll be heading up to Philly first thing in the morning, but he'll be back down in Virginia on the 2nd, and doesn't fly back to San Diego until the 6th.  So, if it works out, I may actually head back down on the cheapo-Chinatown bus next weekend.

Since it was raining and foggy, I was asked to take the wheel for the drive back to Richmond - which was OK with me, since I always prefer to be the driver.  The rain and fog weren't too bad, and there were only two idiot drivers along the way, so it was an uneventful drive down 95.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #466 on: December 28, 2007, 10:19:26 PM »

Whenever I go there there's an embed link, but not one for a URL. . . :'(

DR td - Just copy the URL from the address bar in your browser.  Works for me.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #467 on: December 28, 2007, 10:21:19 PM »

DR elmore - As for it being New Year's Eve and then New Year's Day on the soaps... Well.. Refer to DR DakotaCelt's post.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #468 on: December 28, 2007, 10:22:18 PM »

DR Jeanne - Which fish'n'chips place do you go to in Alexandria?  Is it the one that is owned by the husband and wife(?) who also run two other restaurants nearby?  Eamonn's/A Dublin Chipper?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 10:23:36 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #469 on: December 28, 2007, 10:32:28 PM »

DR Cillaliz - It's been great reading your opinions and observations about the current political race in Iowa (and the Nation).  You make it sound "fun", and accessible.

I was a bit turned off by the whole political process a number of years ago when I found myself in the office of the Republican National Convention in DC.  (My father's idea of a summer job for me.  ???)  I admired the college-age kids who were manning the phones, raising the money, and getting the word out.  However, what I didn't like was the fact that some of them had never really thought about WHY they were a Republican.  Many of them came from Republican families, and they were just continuing the tradition.  Some were in that office since their friends were there.  I still remember overhearing one young man trying to answer some question that one of his call-ees had asked.  I didn't hear the question, but from his stuttering and pausing, he had obviously been asked some form of "Why?".  -And there was not a scripted answer in the call-book in front of him for that question.

It's nice to know that there are people who are not casting their vote blindly - or deafly. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #470 on: December 28, 2007, 10:33:20 PM »

Look! It's the Enabler!  Find any Levains in your Christmas stocking?

Miss Karen

« Reply #471 on: December 28, 2007, 10:36:44 PM »

...aahh, Tupelo Honey by Van Morrison...

Miss Karen

« Reply #472 on: December 28, 2007, 10:37:26 PM »

Where is everybody?  You'd think it was the last Friday of the year or something...

Miss Karen

« Reply #473 on: December 28, 2007, 10:42:03 PM »

I was a bit turned off by the whole political process a number of years ago when I found myself in the office of the Republican National Convention in DC.  

I would have been too!

Miss Karen

« Reply #474 on: December 28, 2007, 10:44:49 PM »

Walking to Memphis...

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #475 on: December 28, 2007, 10:44:54 PM »

Der B -
I honestly think that Edwards can win.  It's anyone's race, but I just have a feeling. Of course anything can happen between now and Thursday

If I were betting, it would be on an Edwards win.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #476 on: December 28, 2007, 10:45:08 PM »

Look! It's the Enabler!  Find any Levains in your Christmas stocking?

Sadly, no.  However, I did have a Potbelly Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie today.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #477 on: December 28, 2007, 10:45:34 PM »

The Follies clips are amazing.  I thought I'd seen it all, but not these.  Every time there's a revival you have Sondheads proclaiming it amazing and perfection and that we who remember the original and tell them nothing will ever top that, are told that we are looking back through rose-colored glasses.  Or, the critics of these revivals say the book doesn't work.  Well, these clips are the living proof of the perfection of the original production, which, in my view will never ever be topped by any show.  It's only frustrating watching them because you want more and more, and I actually yelled when it cut out just before Gene Nelson's brilliant final move in The Right Girl - you see him getting ready, and then it cuts to directly after the number.  One wonders if there's more of these film clips somewhere.

Miss Karen

« Reply #478 on: December 28, 2007, 10:46:27 PM »

Hey, you guys stop the lurking (or is it lurkering?) so my mini-frenzy can be broken ...

Miss Karen

« Reply #479 on: December 28, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »

Hey, you guys stop the lurking (or is it lurkering?) so my mini-frenzy can be broken ...

Never mind, you all started posting while I was typing that...
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up