Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TOP TEN BRAIN  (Read 31023 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE TOP TEN BRAIN
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »

Julie, no more computer crashing vibes!  

Jane

« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2008, 11:36:59 AM »

Jane

« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2008, 11:40:13 AM »

Jane

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »

From Singdaw:
Greetings, Earthling...Your New Restroom is Ready!

Oh my, heaven forbid anyone gets sick in there.  They won’t have enough paper & the doors will open on them.  More than one show or film is bound to do something funny with this. ;D

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2008, 11:47:48 AM »

Vixmom, while I haven’t seen Sweeney, I completely agree you should wait to take the Vixter to see it.  Your gut is obviously saying she should wait to see it.  

I assume you would say the same for Jaws and Jurassic Park - both gorier and more more terrifying and nightmare inducing  than ST - expecially for a teen.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2008, 12:13:05 PM »

I think throat slashing is far more gruesome, in that it is realistic.  There are more scary people out there than giant sharks & Jurassic Park doesn't exist, yet. ;D

Mostly I was going by what Vixmom was saying, how she felt Vixter would react, and the fact I couldn't watch these shows when I was young.  You should have seen me the first time Keith insisted I watch THE BLOB with him. ::) ;D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2008, 12:30:31 PM »

I think throat slashing is far more gruesome, in that it is realistic.  There are more scary people out there than giant sharks & Jurassic Park doesn't exist, yet. ;D

Jaws is much scarier - in puts unspecting youngsters in harms way in the most innocuous of settings, a summer's day at the beach - a scene the Vixter might well visit; a situation she could easily envision involving her - unlikely she would identify with a guy getting a shave in eighteenth centiuy London. Jurassic park, again, puts kids in mortal peril when they have done nothing untoward.

Both Jaws and Jurassic have scenes of more realistic blood and gore than does ST!

The Blob would indeed be scary - it involves teens emperiled in an ordinary event.

In evaluating a kid's reaction to a film it is the difficult job of the adult to see the film through the child's eyes - they find the possibilty of family separation (or the death of a parent) much more unsettling than a simple murder of some adult.

der Brucer

PS For all the mention of the blood spurting gore, Mrs Lovett's demise is much more blood curdling!  

Jane

« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2008, 12:30:59 PM »

Craig's flight from San Francisco is late.  I hope he doesn't miss his connection.

Once he arrives at the airport in Pittsburgh I hope it isn't raining or snowing since he still hasn't got the motor fixed to work his window wipers.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2008, 12:33:46 PM »

Woody will be heaven:

The crate of books from Jessica's Biscuit have arrived!

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »

I personally would recommend avoiding all of the above films, for the sensitive.  Keith is shocked when I'm the one who wants to see a scary film, usually more to see an actor than my desire to see the film.  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »

Craig's flight from San Francisco is late.  I hope he doesn't miss his connection.

Once he arrives at the airport in Pittsburgh I hope it isn't raining or snowing since he still hasn't got the motor fixed to work his window wipers.

He's probably OK

Pittsburgh weather:

Friday night: Mostly cloudy. Scattered flurries are possible most any time. Low around 35F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.
Saturday: Mostly cloudy skies early will become partly cloudy later in the day. High 44F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2008, 12:40:44 PM »

I personally would recommend avoiding all of the above films, for the sensitive.  Keith is shocked when I'm the one who wants to see a scary film, usually more to see an actor than my desire to see the film.  

I suspect Keith is delighted when you go to a scary film - what with you all curled in his lap ;D

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2008, 12:44:18 PM »

Every time I hear about his Sweeny Todd movie it makes me nauseous. And this is coming from someone who loves the old Herschell Gordon Lewis films (although they have been known to make me a bit nauseous, as well).

MBarnum

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2008, 12:45:47 PM »

When I was a kid, and would watch an old western, I couldn't stomach seeing poeple get shot with arrows. I would have to look away for some reason.

Even now, if someone in a film is dispatched via a knife, I cringe.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »

Tod:car CD=handel's JOSHUA, replaced by Emile Hersch's symphonies 1 & 2-atonalish, but very exciting-the Naxos CD has the biggest photo, it takes up almost the whole cover-probably because mr Hersch is extremely handsome as well as talented(I bought the CD, didn't I?-)but then I once bought a cd of a Brahm's concerto because the pianist, a Mr Hough, had one of the nicest 3-piece suits I've ever seen.Next up, the Eng cd reissue of Julie Andrews The lass with the delicate air, which I already had on vinyl, but you cant play vinyl in a car. I fell asleep last night watching a Guy Pearce film, something about before the snow falls-Not Mr Pearce's fault, it was just Very busy at work.

MBarnum

« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2008, 12:48:15 PM »

On a less gory note, a 50th Anniversary set of Perry Mason episodes will be out in April, and it will have some very cool extras, including screen tests of Raymond Burr for both the role of Mason and one for him to play Hamilton Burger.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »

George's castmate in trouble:

Please Don't Feed the Cannibal

der Brucer

PS The adult world's answer to Ms Spears is back in the news:  OJ is going back to jail!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2008, 01:08:46 PM »

Well, MattH may disagree, but I say "a" not "an" based on the sound of the word.

der Brucer

After all we say "a uniform" and "a one legged man"

In "American" English, use "a" before a word that has a consonant "sound", including the "y".  A young girl.  A year-long.  A euphemism.  A eucharist.  A European summit.

Use "an" before a word that has a vowel "sound", including "h", such as "an homage", "an honor", "an honest".  But "a heavy load", etc., because you are actually "sounding" the "h".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2008, 01:09:21 PM »

Woody will be heaven:

The crate of books from Jessica's Biscuit have arrived!

der Brucer

Have it?

;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »

And, like DR MattH, I was not surprised to read about Chris Bowman.  Still, it's sad to see talent like he had go to waste.

Absolutely. He had the makings of greatness; he could have been one of the legendary skaters of all-time with his natural gifts and on-ice charisma. Instead, he settled for "good enough" and will forever be spoken of as one of the "if-only" skaters.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2008, 01:16:58 PM »

Our own DR MattH will soon have two Bollywood movies in his possession....and I will be most curious to know what he thinks of htem when the time comes that he can watch 'em.

That time is today and many thanks to DR MBarnum for making it possible. More about my predicament later.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2008, 01:20:21 PM »

In "American" English, use "a" before a word that has a consonant "sound", including the "y".  A young girl.  A year-long.  A euphemism.  A eucharist.  A European summit.

Use "an" before a word that has a vowel "sound", including "h", such as "an homage", "an honor", "an honest".  But "a heavy load", etc., because you are actually "sounding" the "h".

Absolutely correct! It's not the first letter of the word that determines the use of the article, it's the first SOUND the word makes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »

I've done five pages, and will do a couple more later this afternoon.  I think I'll go see if there's any mail at the mail place.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2008, 01:22:54 PM »

The rain clouds went away, and blues skies and the sun came out to play. As I was walking around doing my errands, I couldn't help but think that today was a day in early April with blue sky, the sun beaming down, some blustery breezes that weren't cold, and a pavement wet from a morning shower. Honestly, I have the windows and doors open to let in the warm air, and the central heat has been turned off.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »

I would swear the British have a different philosophy,  since Fredric sings in The Pirates of Penzance "To such an one, if one there be" but most online grammar guides on the use of articles a and an, are similar to this:
http://www.english-zone.com/grammar/a-anlessn.html

But I've heard some people (a Gypsy reference) say "an historical" instead of "a historical". :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »

TOD

CD : DER GLÖCKNER VON NOTRE DAME

Thanks to my Secret Santa :D

der Brucer

And I'm sure that he/she/it/they would say "you're welcome."

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2008, 01:26:09 PM »

The rain clouds went away, and blues skies and the sun came out to play. As I was walking around doing my errands, I couldn't help but think that today was a day in early April with blue sky, the sun beaming down, some blustery breezes that weren't cold, and a pavement wet from a morning shower. Honestly, I have the windows and doors open to let in the warm air, and the central heat has been turned off.

But....but....it's January 11th, ferpity'ssake!

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2008, 01:28:47 PM »

Well, my hopes of maybe watching BLADE RUNNER (or any other DVD for fun) ended this afternoon.

Currently I am watching the DVD box set of THE ODD COUPLE, almost finished with disc 2 of a 4 disc set. I have waiting the box set of HAWAII FIVE-O which is 25 episodes.

In the mail today came the Blu-ray of THE GAME PLAN and the new Criterion release of MISS JULIE. Not only that but in the mail from Criterion are five more films - THIS SPORTING LIFE (a 2 disc set), and FOUR FILMS BY AGNES VARDA (four films plus three shorts by the legendary French director).

All of these will be released on January 22, so I have 11 days to get them all watched and written up.

Not to be outdone, Paramount sent me another TV box set on DVD: JAG/Season 5. It comes out on January 29.

So, I have plenty to watch regardless of the writers' strike.

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »

But I've heard some people (a Gypsy reference) say "an historical" instead of "a historical". :-\

I have, too. It doesn't mean they were right to say it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »

"Some People" say "mischievious" instead of "mischievous", too.

I've also heard folks say "an hysterical", too.  But have you ever heard anyone say "an hissy fit"?  Starts with the "same" sound.  "A" is correct.

Folks also say "8 a.m. in the morning."  Redundant.  Use "a.m." or "morning", but not both in the same construct.

Also, "o'clock" is always a reference to afternoon.  I hear "8 a.m. o'clock" all the time.  On the news.

"P.M" references any time "after" noon...and only the hour should distinguish between daytime and evening.  Use "3 p.m. today" rather than "3 p.m. (or "o'clock") this afternoon."  Use "today at 7 o'clock" rather than "tonight at 7 o'clock" or "tonight at 7 p.m."  In this construct "today" is a generic reference for the entire 24 hours of a day rather than something that separates day from night.

News anchors and newspaper writers are the WORST offenders of the English language these days.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 01:34:03 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up