Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TOP TEN BRAIN  (Read 30961 times)

Kerry

Re:THE TOP TEN BRAIN
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2008, 09:18:29 AM »

I'll send the caption later when i can type!
I like boat races.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2008, 09:18:55 AM »

If he lasts through the entire AOPP he's a braver man than many!

Well, I'm not sure "brave" is the term I'd use - perhaps "perservering"...

I must admit to being regularly distracted by the tightest set of blond twinkie-buns I've ever seen (was that Ken Miller?).

I must admit that when Prof Franz neatly packed all his little friends into the brief-case (and made a point of saying that he wasn't putting them to sleep) - and then, after carefully closing the lid, he uncermoniously jerks it upright and sashays out of the door - those kids would have crowded the ER after that experience!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2008, 09:20:50 AM »

Did anyone else ever think the lyric to that song was "When this guy is a bright canary yellow?"

That's the song they sang to me when I had Hepititis!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2008, 09:23:03 AM »

Fred,

Did Mermaid's "Les Poissons" make it to the stage version?

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2008, 09:26:09 AM »

Well, MattH may disagree, but I say "a" not "an" based on the sound of the word.

der Brucer

After all we say "a uniform" and "a one legged man"

I would swear the British have a different philosophy,  since Fredric sings in The Pirates of Penzance "To such an one, if one there be" but most online grammar guides on the use of articles a and an, are similar to this:
http://www.english-zone.com/grammar/a-anlessn.html

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2008, 09:29:20 AM »

Did anyone else ever think the lyric to that song was "When this guy is a bright canary yellow?"

That's what we said about our DS Rob, who developed jaundice the day after he was born.  Not uncommon, but enough to keep us in the hospital an extra day or 2.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2008, 09:33:06 AM »

TV GUIDE
\
Will the Strike Force The Closer to Close Up Shop?

The Closer herself may be used to ending negotiations to her satisfaction, but this time it seems like Brenda has met her match in the WGA strike. "We were due to go back into production in about a month and we can't, because the writers need a two-month head start before we can get to work," J.K. Simmons, who plays Chief Pope on the TNT hit, told TV Guide at this week's Critics Choice Awards. "I think that if we're not back at work by sometime in April, there is no way we can deliver episodes in the summer. If that becomes the case, I don't know if TNT is willing to push it into the fall or if we lose an entire season."

UGH!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:33:28 AM by DERBRUCER »

FJL

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2008, 09:40:06 AM »

der B - Yes, "Les Poisosns" is in the stage version of MERMAID.  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2008, 09:46:46 AM »

A tad ghoulish - but touching nonethless:

Dog retrieves his best friend - a cat buried in the garden

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2008, 09:48:53 AM »

Yes, DerBrucer, that was indeed Ken Miller....and what did you think of Mack the Marine?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2008, 09:49:49 AM »

der B - Yes, "Les Poisosns" is in the stage version of MERMAID.  

Good! I'd love to see how they do it.

I also wonder if the dialog has the same lyricism that Doug put in "I Am My Own Wife".

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2008, 09:51:27 AM »

Yes, DerBrucer, that was indeed Ken Miller....and what did you think of Mack the Marine?

Hunky - but maybe full of himself?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »

More thoughts on AOPP:

Considering when the film was made, the special effects are especially well done and seemlessly integrated. (The cat was my favorite.)

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2008, 09:55:22 AM »

Almost ready to begin writing.

td

• td
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2008, 10:13:02 AM »

Congrats on the top ten for the BRAIN!

TOD:

DVD:
VIVAH - which I've finally gotten around to watching. . .let me tell, nay, WARN you, DR MBarnum:  this is a gorgeous film which will wet your handkerchief for a while!  Although it is a straight-forward story, the tale of a wedding from engagement to the wedding night, there are many wonderful songs and a believable emotional center.  Mr. Kapoor has many fine moments, too.  But, there are tears to be shed. . .

HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX - the more I ponder this Potter film, the more I like it.  It's dark.  Harry matures.  Umbrage is a fine characterization.  The final scenes, the fights in The Ministry are some of the best Harry Potter moments committed to film.  Also, very importantly, the movie moves. . .never once does it drag, but presses forward toward its melancholy conclusion.

CD:
THE BROADWAY MUSICALS OF 1943 - Jason Graae, Sally Mayes and Heather MacRae.  Love Sally's "To Keep My Love Alive."
THE BROADWAY MUSICALS OF 1935 featuring Emily Skinner.
THE BROADWAY MUSICALS OF 1953 featuring Davis Gaines.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2008, 10:19:53 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And, yep, I slept in again.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2008, 10:21:05 AM »

-And we just had quite the downpour here in northern Manhattan.  It was brief, but, man, was it noisy outside for a few minutes!
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2008, 10:35:15 AM »

der B - Different characters than I Am My Own Wife, and Doug Wright writes for character.  Wright's most important (IMHO) contribution to Little Mermaid is his gift for transition between book and song, exhibited also in Grey Gardens.

Here's what i had written on All that Chat:

"I also liked it quite a lot, and found it the most consistently enjoyable of the six Broadway Disney shows. (Yes, even more than Lion King, which had those long lapses in the storytelling, where LittIe Mermaid never did, for me, anyway.) I saw it shortly after the strike ended, and then I thought there was too much dancing and ensemble stuff for my taste in Act I, but I forgave that since the placement of the first act curtain probably dictated the length of the act, and the kids around me were rapt during those numbers. I admit a BMI Workshop inclination and a tendency to like Disney (and that my other half has worked for Disney in the past), but I must repeat that I found the quartet "If Only" to be perhaps among the most moving experiences I'd had at a Broadway show in a while, tying up the emotional underpinnings of the show, and shockingly (for me) even surpassing the emotional highs in Doug Wright's own Grey Gardens. I take issue with the comments about Doug Wright's book, as IMHO Wright sets up and leads into numbers with so much grace and beauty, and that might have accounted for so many of the songs landing so well with me, even on first hearing."

MBarnum

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2008, 10:48:49 AM »

TD, Vivah sounds like my kind of movie...just added it to my Netflix queue!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2008, 10:49:07 AM »

I ran down to the corner bodega and back and I am soaking wet.  It's a very rainy Friday in Manhattan.

I just sent my sister-in-law Jo a copy of FOREVER; it's very difficult to put the book down.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2008, 10:49:47 AM »

Our own DR MattH will soon have two Bollywood movies in his possession....and I will be most curious to know what he thinks of htem when the time comes that he can watch 'em.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »

As for Disney's The Little Mermaid...

I liked the show the two times I've seen it - and I will probably see it again - but the whole evening seemed filled with missed and misguided opportunities.  And most of those opportunities were missed by the director and her team of designers.  -And I was sort of surprised that Francesca Zambello was brought on board in the first place since no one was really that thrilled with her work on the "Alladin" show in DisneyWorld.

The plastic-ness of the sets works well for the most part, but then there are some downright puzzling looks - at least to my eyes.  (Ariel's bedroom in the castle is surprisingly bare, and up against a backdrop that looks like it was painted with tempera paint.)  I agree with the one review who called it the "prettiest ugly show in town".  The show curtain is particularly grade-school-looking.

I will say that some of the negative reviews really do seem to be a bit on the unnecessarily harsh side - heck, even Brantley isn't as snide as he can be when he gets in that "mood" - but I think they more or less are right on the mark.  Sadly, the performers and their performances have consequently been given short shrift in most of the reviews.  And I feel sorry that some of the reviewers are blaming Sherie Rene Scott for her "choices", which when seen in the larger scheme, are probably more "team-influenced" than anything else.  I mean, if her Ursula was as scary as the cartoon-movie-Ursula, who knows what kind of trauma that would cause the kids in the audience.  Heck, there were a number of kids who started crying the first time Ursula appears.

In fact, I think the scariest number in the show - to my sensibilities at least - is "Les Poissons".  The sound of that HUGE cleaver is quite the "THWACK!!!!!!".   And, yes, it's a humorous number, but it's also about killing something.  And when that something is a puppet-cum-actor-in-a-costume, well...THWACK!

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »

I've written a couple of pages so far, but may have to do some errands shortly.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2008, 11:05:49 AM »

And as for Disney's Little Mermaid again...

One thought that repeatedly went through my mind while watching the show was, "Would this show have been served better if it been placed in a bigger theatre with a bigger stage?"

Yes, Beauty's Been Decreased (thank you, "Forbidden Broadway") did well in the Lunt-Fontanne after it was transferred over from The Palace, but when that show was in The Palace... WOW!  I definitely think the big production numbers such as "Under The Sea" and "Kiss The Girl" would benefit from not being as "cramped".  And it would have been nice to see Eddie Korbich getting a little more room to hoof in those big bird shoes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2008, 11:06:57 AM »

This article gave me a few laughs!    :D   The photo is pretty funny, too:

Well, maybe once the rain stops, I'll head on down to Bryant Park.  ;)

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2008, 11:07:40 AM »

Ooohhh.. Thunder and Lightning too! Nothing like a summer storm in the midst of January.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2008, 11:25:32 AM »

TOD

CD : DER GLÖCKNER VON NOTRE DAME

Thanks to my Secret Santa :D

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2008, 11:26:52 AM »

Ooohhh.. Thunder and Lightning too! Nothing like a summer storm in the midst of January.

So much for the reservoir today!

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2008, 11:28:07 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

Radio: WQXR

But, mainly, it's been a week of catching up on my periodical reading: Time Out New York, New York Magazine, Vanity Fair, Gourmet, etc.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2008, 11:31:15 AM »

Sad about Christopher Bowman.  

Vixmom, while I haven’t seen Sweeney, I completely agree you should wait to take the Vixter to see it.  Your gut is obviously saying she should wait to see it.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up