Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TOP TEN BRAIN  (Read 30588 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TOP TEN BRAIN
« on: January 11, 2008, 12:02:13 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were top ten notes, and now it is time for you to post until the top ten cows come home.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:25:03 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE TOP TEN BRAIN
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:03:59 AM »

And the word of the day is: IMPRIMATUR!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:04:43 AM »

Welcome nine GUESTS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:04:57 AM »

No one in the jernt but li'l ol' me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 12:35:14 AM »

On my DVR:  I just watched the first two episodes of "Celebrity Apprentice"...talk about a train wreck! :o

;)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:35:37 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:36:58 AM »

Right now, I'm watching Jay Leno on "The Jimmy (no relation to BK) Kimmel Show" while recording Jimmy Kimmel's appearance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:53:21 AM »

In my CD player at work, in no particular order:  the original cast recording of The Brain From Planet X and several CDs that I just received in the mail:
  • "Jonathan Sings Larson"
  • the complete studio cast recording of South Pacific with Paige O'Hara and Pat Suzuki
  • the studio (I think) cast recording of Come Back Little Sheba with Donna McKechnie
  • Dream True written by Ricky Ian Gordon and Tina (no relation to FJL) Landau with Brian d’Arcy James, Jason Danieley, Kelli O’Hara, Jessica Molaskey, Victoria Clark, and Jeff McCarthy
  • the original Broadway cast recording of Young Frankenstein
  • the cast recording of Nunsensations! The Nunsense Vegas Revue
  • the cast recording of Nunsense A-Men!
:D

George

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 01:03:03 AM »

And to all, a good night.

:)

singdaw

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 01:35:27 AM »

Thanks to DRs Jose, FJL, Vixmom, Cillaliz, and ArnoldMBrockman! :)

singdaw

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 01:39:07 AM »

Tennis, Anyone?

singdaw

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 01:54:15 AM »

This article gave me a few laughs!    :D   The photo is pretty funny, too:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:38:51 AM by singdaw »

Michael

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 03:19:07 AM »

TOD
The Prestige

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 03:21:16 AM »

BK

Sent Happy Days & Laverne and Shirley photos.

Do you have First Love, Apple Dumpling Gang? (Forgot to ask in email)
Never stop dreaming.

singdaw

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 03:42:57 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 03:56:44 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Today's my last day at work until Jan. 23 - YAY!  On Sunday, DH Richard and I are heading to Wisconsin for his winter residency week at Nashotah House.  I'm looking forward to lots of reading and DVD viewing time.

DR Singdaw - hope you and your DH have the smoothest journey possible and that his aunt's service is both comforting and celebratory.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 04:04:52 AM »

Thanks, DR Ginny!  And wishing you and DH Richard a lovely retreat.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 04:53:32 AM »

Travel vibes to DR SINGDAW....wave as you fly over Indiana.

DR GINNY - sounds like much fun!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 04:56:22 AM »

Work today.

Oh well.

TOD:

CD - Michael Buble
DVD - The Gale Storm Show and The Roaring 20's - thanks to DR MBARNUM.
VHS - nada

I mostly remember the first couple of seasons of TGSS.  Some of the episodes I now have are from the last 1959-60 season when the show moved to ABC and changed from a Hal Roach Jr production to an ITC production.  It is very STRANGE to see Gale change from her little girl 50's appearance to the more sophisticated woman hair and makeup from 1960....but there are LOTS of musical numbers.

And fellow Dot Recording Star Pat Boone shows up to sing "Bernadine"!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 05:00:23 AM »

I got THE INVISIBLE STRANGLER aka THE ASTRAL FACTOR in one of my Mill Creek 50 movies paks.

It is as bad as MR BK says in the notes, but it does have Robert Foxworth's only nude scene that I can recall.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 05:10:56 AM »

Forgive my fading memory, but it has been quite a while since I have watched; but is The Gale Storm Show different from Oh Sussanna?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

FJL

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 05:14:46 AM »

Someone mentioned the Associated Press was "friendly" to LITTLE MERMAID.  Here's the AP review; I think if this review were in the NY Times (and of course it's not!!!), the overall critical picture would be very different.  Be assured Disney will promote the heck out of this review, which gets picked up all over the place.  Caveat re my biases:  The "new" lyricist is a friend through the BMI Workshop, and Mr. Menken has been so supportive of Starfighter and Skip's other work that we really wish him well in everything, and I'm a rabid fan of Doug Wright's work in general, so my comments on Little Mermaid may be filtered through that, whether I want to admit it or not.

`The Little Mermaid' Swims to Broadway
By MICHAEL KUCHWARA, AP Drama Critic
Thursday, January 10, 2008
(01-10) 16:00 PST New York (AP) --

You try singing and dancing while wearing a tail. More than a little difficult. Yet "The Little Mermaid" — tail intact — amiably swims along on good cheer and charm.

The long-awaited stage version of the 1989 Disney animated film, which opened Thursday at Broadway's Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, may have a few uneasy moments shoehorning the story in between all that lavish, and some might say unnecessary, underwater spectacle.

Yet forget the overused and now cliche "theme-park" adjective. This musical, buoyed by one of the best Disney film scores and a delightful new leading lady, succeeds as enjoyable family entertainment. And, yes, the sets are big, but then, so is the ocean.

Julie Taymor's take on "The Lion King" — creating an astonishing theatrical landscape — set the bar pretty high for stage adaptations of Disney movies.

If director Francesca Zambello doesn't quite accomplish that same kind of amazing transformation here, she and her design team have found a viable way to make this remounting of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale seaworthy. And Disney has spent the money to back her up.

Zambello's division between water and land is accomplished through set designer George Tsypin's use of a translucent plastic. It suggests an exotic, ocean-deep world where actors portraying the finny folk glide around on shoes that have wheels on the back of them.

Chief among these creatures is a winsome mermaid named Ariel, who longs for a handsome, yet landlocked, prince. Can she find true love if she renounces life under the sea? Ariel, played by Sierra Boggess, is the latest in a series of spunky musical-comedy heroines — think about the young women in "Wicked" or "Legally Blonde" — who seek to overcome obstacles. In the end, she does, of course, find true love.

Boggess not only possesses a lovely voice, she can handle comedy, too. Humor slips sporadically into Doug Wright's efficient book which fills in some of the gaps in the film's story line. Most of the jokes are provided by Sherie Rene Scott as Ursula the sea witch, played as sort of a campy, water-logged Norma Desmond, with a bit of Mae West thrown in for good measure.

Scott is a marvelous comedian, yet she seems a bit lost in the garish makeup and an excess of costume, especially some unwieldily tentacles, designed by Tatiana Noginova. Still, she gets to sing the catchiest of the new musical numbers, "I Want the Good Times Back," aided by a pair of conniving eels who are played by Derrick Baskin and Tyler Maynard.

The flavorsome Broadway score includes the movie's songs, courtesy of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, most notably such hits as "Under the Sea,""Kiss the Girl" and "Part of Your World." They have been augmented with new work by Menken and lyricist Glenn Slater, a worthy successor to Ashman who died in 1991.

The rest of the cast is a strong assortment of Broadway regulars including Norm Lewis as Ariel's father, King Triton; Eddie Korbich as a tap-dancing seagull, and Tituss Burgess as that Caribbean-drenched crab Sebastian. And Sean Palmer manages to turn Prince Eric, Ariel's love interest, into something more than cardboard, no small achievement.

Choreographer Stephen Mear works overtime, providing a cascade of dances. Consider the calypso-tinged "Under the Sea," in which designer Tsypin has placed on stage two large rotating columns that look as if they are some kind of weird, space-age coral.

These columns provide the backdrop for Mear's most ambitious swirl of choreography, one in which those denizens of the deep get to demonstrate the kinetic quality of their life under water. It's an extravagant riot of color and movement that works particularly well in a theater.

Closely aligning a stage production to its popular cinematic source material is risky business. Look what happened to Broadway's "Young Frankenstein" and the comparisons made to the original — and more effective — Mel Brooks movie. That hasn't happened here. "The Little Mermaid" has found its own unique on-stage sea legs.

FJL

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 05:22:56 AM »

USA Today is what i would call "friendly" and "positive" rather than a rave - even though this critic is known for somehow going against the tide from time to time.  But it still feels like a recommendation to a large extent.  Here's that review so you can judge for yourself if you're interested.

Broadway's 'Little Mermaid' could have legs
By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY

NEW YORK — The arrival of a new Disney musical on Broadway is always met with high expectations and sharpened knives. The Little Mermaid (**½ out of four), which opened Thursday at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, would seem especially ripe for the former.

The stage adaptation of the animated film, based on Hans Christian Andersen's classic tale, boasts a sterling creative team. It includes Alan Menken, the composer responsible for some of the catchiest tunes written for the Mickey Mouse empire in recent decades, and librettist Doug Wright, whose credits include the Tony- and Pulitzer Prize-winning I Am My Own Wife and last season's excellent Grey Gardens.

But the new Mermaid is ultimately less than the sum of its impressive parts, offering neither the richly imaginative spectacle of The Lion King nor the old-fashioned vitality and charm of Mary Poppins.

On the other hand, anyone inclined to dismiss Disney's latest extravaganza as a triumph of flash over feeling will be hard-pressed to do so. Wright, Menken and lyricist Glenn Slater — who helped craft a bunch of new songs to accompany the ones from the movie, which Menken wrote with his late collaborator Howard Ashman — have developed the tale of a young mermaid's longing to live among humans into an endearing, if rather conventional, love story.

That doesn't mean that the title character has been reduced to a romantic sap. Though her suitor Prince Eric now figures more prominently into the plot, Ariel is the pluckier of the pair; as played by the sweet-voiced Sierra Boggess, she is graceful and willful in equal measure. Sean Palmer's Eric is bland by comparison, though he sings robustly and looks great in Tatiana Noginova's dashing costumes.

Sherie Rene Scott is predictably sassy as Ursula, the sea witch and estranged aunt who tries to sabotage Ariel's dreams, and Norm Lewis lends a gentle authority as Ariel's father, King Triton. Eddie Korbich turns in a frisky performance as the sea gull Scuttle, who offers Ariel advice and delivers the best of Menken and Slater's new tunes, the snappy Positoovity.

But Mermaid's most memorable numbers —Under the Sea and Kiss the Girl, both from the film — fall to the crab Sebastian, Triton's faithful but hardly fearless servant, played by an impish Tituss Burgess.

Wright provides these players with plenty of aquatic and crustacean wordplay. "That's what I call 'reelin' him in,' " Scuttle observes when Ariel maneuvers herself into Eric's arms. "This is gonna get me in real hot water," says Sebastian, who later frets that he has "no backbone."

Sebastian does have a good heart, though. So does Mermaid, and it's the asset that keeps the show afloat.

singdaw

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 05:23:20 AM »

Thanks, DR JRand57!  :)   Will do!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 05:23:57 AM »

Forgive my fading memory, but it has been quite a while since I have watched; but is The Gale Storm Show different from Oh Sussanna?

Same show....Oh! Susanna was the syndication title.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 05:26:00 AM »

I guess my question is:

"Long awaited" - by whom?

Ben

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 05:26:12 AM »

Morning all

Ben

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 05:26:26 AM »

I'm seeing Little Mermaid on January 22

Ben

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 05:26:39 AM »

I'm seeing Is He Dead on Tuesday the 15th

Ben

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 05:27:07 AM »

We (Ant and I/me) are seeing The 39 Steps on Wednesday the 16th

Ben

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 05:27:53 AM »

And it's almost time to change (a Brady Bunch reference)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up