Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PORGY AND BESS STAY HOME  (Read 27529 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:PORGY AND BESS STAY HOME
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2008, 02:36:23 PM »

Since I was near Columbia University, I gave my friend Michael - a.k.a. one of my latest "Enablees" - a ring to see what he was up to.  He was about to head out to do some grocery shopping for the week, and he was thinking of heading up to the nice, big Fairway since he had never been there before.  Well, being the Good Enabler that I am, I told him I'd be more than happen to join him!  We met up a few minutes later, and headed to the subway.  It was only a nine block walk away, but, boy(!!!), is it cold today!!! (Maybe not as cold as it is in the midwest, right now, but definitely cold enough to warrant taking the subway one stop.)

When we got down the platform... -Hey, is that Kevin Burrows?... And, yes, it was Kevin!  We hadn't seen each in a while, and, lo and behold, he was actually on his way to Fairway too to do some shopping!  So, we all boarded the next 1 Train, and then Kevin and I proceeded to catch up during our walking and shopping.  Kevin is Christopher Sieber's partner, who just returned to Spamalot... with Clay Aiken.  So... ;)

Once we got to Fairway - which is truly one big ole super(!)market - we said our goodbyes since we didn't think we'd run into each again before we had made our way out that maze of produce, dry goods and the "Cold Room".  However, it turned out that all three of us ended up at the check out registers at the same time, so we were all able to walk back to the subway together too.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2008, 02:38:33 PM »

PAGE SIX CHRISTOPHER SIEBER AND KEVIN BURROWS DANCE!!!!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:38:57 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2008, 02:39:23 PM »

TJ, the bagger at the store who has taken a shine to Sweeney Todd, has finally finished watching the DVD of the original production.  This is after having seen Tim Burton's film at least four times.

Good news!  He really liked it!  He liked how different it is from the film, and understood why it is different.  (This is a kid who does not oridinarly like musicals.)  But just as important is that he liked it as a stage production.

He'll get it back to me as soon as our schedules mesh.

Another good deed done.  *happy sigh*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2008, 02:41:17 PM »

BEGONE FLU VIBES FOR DR ELMORE!!!  

td

• td
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ FLU-BE-GONE VIBES FOR DR ELMORE~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

singdaw

« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2008, 02:49:13 PM »

***COPING VIBES***[/size]
in every way[/size]
to DR elmore3003![/size]

Ginny

« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2008, 02:49:19 PM »

DR Elmore didn't need that kind of bug, too!  Vibes, vibes, vibes.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »

DRs JoseSPiano and/or elmore3003: have either of you heard this?

Quasthoff crooning like Sinatra.  In English, and in a basso range.   Strangely surreal!  :)

DR singdaw - I finally bought it and gave it a listen a few months ago.  I'm not sure I'd call it "surreal", more like "restrained".  I had had very good things about the album from other people before I bought it, and I had also come across some very positive reviews too.  Alas, it is a bit of a strange bird.  The basso range doesn't bother me at all - sort of in that Joe Williams mode.  And unlike a lot of "Classical" singers, his English diction and accent is very "normal" - although, I do hear a bit of his German background sneaking in every now and then.  However, a lot of it just seems a bit too easy, and a bit too relaxed, a bit too cool.  I love the moments - and they're few and far between - where he shows off his upper range, but for the most part it all seems comfortable.  Which isn't a good thing or a bad thing.  It's just a thing.

At least this venture is nowhere near the ghastly mess of Renee Fleming's "pop" album, "Haunted Heart", and not as cheesy and middle-of-the-road as  Nathan Gunn's recent album, "Just Before Sunrise".

Hmm... I haven't listened to my Sylvia McNair and André Previn albums in a while... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2008, 02:56:35 PM »

...And I think an audio link to Thomas Quasthoff's rendition of "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" may have been posted on here before, but I came across this video compilation on YouTube that someone put together to his recorded version.  *I think there was a version on NPR's "Performance Today" from a live recital.

Thomas Quasthoff - Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
Make Your Own Luck.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2008, 03:00:35 PM »

Are there plans afoot for a Lincoln Center SOUTH PACIFIC cast album?;One of my mottoes(sp?)has always been, 'you can't have too many fine R&H albums'(even if it did take me 37 years to get around to PIPE Dream-but I did order the Random House play on ABE books; Twas interesting and I love the score)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »

Are there plans afoot for a Lincoln Center SOUTH PACIFIC cast album?;One of my mottoes(sp?)has always been, 'you can't have too many fine R&H albums'(even if it did take me 37 years to get around to PIPE Dream-but I did order the Random House play on ABE books; Twas interesting and I love the score)

I think there may be - mainly based on the fact that R&H has just re-edited and prepared another edition of the score in conjunction with this revival.  So... We shall see.
Make Your Own Luck.

Julie

« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »

Hey all - just checking in to say hello on this very cold Sunday night.
I'm still having computer and email problems - so my online time has been more limited than usual.  
I think I will be buying a new computer next week.
It all went south when I bought the new smartphone,, and everything started crashing as I was trying to set it up.
It's a very old computer - so I think it's just not as friendly to newer technology.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »

Excellent vibes and xylophones to elmore.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2008, 03:24:31 PM »

First I coveted Keith’s fancy new keyboard, which became mine after he found it wasn’t suitable for playing computer games.

Then I coveted his fancy Bose speakers.  As of today they are mine, just in time to listen to Edi’s cousin and Thomas Quasthoff :D  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »

I haven't stopped today until now.  I played through the act one score, then settled down to write, but spent the first hour of said writing, fixing what I wrote yesterday.  I then took a shower, and then made myself sit down and not budge - and I just finished seven pages and I think that's a fine day of work for a Sunday.  I don't think the dishwasher will be arriving today.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »

First I coveted Keith’s fancy new keyboard, which became mine after he found it wasn’t suitable for playing computer games.

Then I coveted his fancy Bose speakers.  As of today they are mine, just in time to listen to Edi’s cousin and Thomas Quasthoff :D  
I'd ask what else you covet of Keith's, but this is a family site.

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2008, 03:31:50 PM »

I wish I had bk's discipline while working on this safe kids video.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

FJL

« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2008, 03:56:21 PM »

Health and exterminating vibes to Larry!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »

Page six???  Page six???  This will NOT do, oh, no, this will NOT do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2008, 04:06:27 PM »

Will we never get to page seven?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2008, 04:06:56 PM »

In about one hour I shall be on my way to the Monica of Santa to sup and then see Exodus.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2008, 04:15:43 PM »

My brain has glazed over.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2008, 04:16:29 PM »

I skipped most of the lunch menu and had new potatoes and broccoli and cauliflower. I am saving my calories for dinner.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2008, 04:23:08 PM »

Dinner tonight:

Leftovers!!!

Yep, I can do leftovers.

Leftover chili.

Salad (the fixings are leftovers).

Garlic bread (commercially prepared and waiting to be toasted, therefor leftovers).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2008, 04:28:54 PM »

I see a lot of people but I do not see a lot of posts.  A conundrum wrapped inside an enigma, if you ask me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.  Why are you just sitting there like so much fish?  Who ARE you people?

Cillaliz

« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2008, 04:30:34 PM »

Looking forward to TAR tonight

Cillaliz

« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »

I'm watching Pioneers of Television - the Variety show right now. I'ts a good show

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »

TAR and ICA - better reality shows do not exist.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »

And Torchwood returns for it's second season on BBCA on Saturday!

James Marsters and John Barrowman!

The imagination reels!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up