Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HORRID SANDWICH  (Read 23842 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE HORRID SANDWICH
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2004, 03:01:55 PM »

Well, Dear Friend, I'm much more excited about the john Huston MOULIN ROUGE release.  I've always loved the "Big Song," but when I finally saw the film, the song was in a different form with a different lyric!  I love both versions but find it peculiar.  The version in the film is probably closer in form to a popular chanson of the 1890s than the popular song version that became the hit of 1954(?).
The song lyrics came as a shock to me too - I had only remembered the Felicia Sanders version.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2004, 03:13:15 PM »

I remember the Giselle McKenzie version....sung partially in French of course.

DRJOSE - not to confuse you, but the cast and crew of any show in Indiana often feel sad and confused, believe me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2004, 03:16:36 PM »

Some very interesting posts today regarding moments in history from a personal perspective.  I am still looking forward to reading Tomovoz's recollections regarding the parting of the Red Sea.
I was 10 years old at the time when my adoptive parents took me to see Cecil B part the sea. I was yet another child found in the bullrushes and thus was brought up to believe I had been chosen child rather than one of  the chosen people..
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2004, 03:18:29 PM »

Back from doing lots of errands including sending copies of the Kritzer books to my old friend Hef.  

Zsa Zsa is, of course, dubbed in the film (her singing), and she's quite bad in the acting department.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2004, 03:20:37 PM »

Used some store credit and snagged three new Criterion DVDs - Smiles of a Summer Nacht, The Tin Drum (which I've never seen, but which sounds interesting), and best of all, Mr. Fritz Lang's The Testament of Dr. Mabuse.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2004, 03:20:47 PM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2004, 03:21:02 PM »

Does anyone    still    wear    a     hat?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2004, 03:21:21 PM »

Mahler still wears a hat in photographs.

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2004, 03:27:18 PM »

JFK: My penultimate year of Schooling before university entrance had just finished and I was in hospital just having had my nasal septum straightened. I remember inquiring as to why the hospital's flag was at half mast! I obviously had a view of it from the hospital window.
Di: I was visiting my mother in hospital after she has suffered a stoke.
Elvis: I was in the kitchen making tea when I heard the news
John Lennon: In the car driving home from work (School).
9/11: I awoke to the news on the radio.
Buddy Holly: I heard at school. "The Day The Music Died"
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2004, 03:30:27 PM »

Masada, the reading of which I attended, has cancelled its Chicago tryout.  Those who read my thoughts on the show know that I predicted this would happen.  They never had funding for this show, and the reading here was their attempt to get it.  I knew from the reaction they would not be getting it.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2004, 03:34:19 PM »

Harold Prince talking on CSPAN right now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2004, 03:35:08 PM »

But she looks great on her way to Venus.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2004, 03:36:14 PM »

DRs Panni, Beekay Jay & Jane. (hope I got that right!), we watched "Trembling Before God" last night. Certainly food for thought (not necessarily kosher either). I felt so much for those people. I find it incomprehensible that any Religion would "speak for God" and put themselves "above God" in casting judgement on others.  Thank God I'm not a member of any religious organisation. I think it is often the case that organised religion corrupts the purity in love of God.

Tomovoz, I ‘m interested, but haven’t seen "Trembling Before G—d” yet.   If you want a discussion on organized religion, Keith is the one to talk to.  I still remember the day we had our pre-wedding interview with my family rabbi.  He asked Keith a question regarding his Jewish beliefs.  I never expected Keith’s answer, not that I didn’t know how he felt-just didn’t expect him to tell the rabbi.  To my horror Keith went on about the evils (my gross exaggeration) of organized region.    What was to be a short visit turned into a long discussion between the two of them.  As we left, to my great relief, the rabbi said how much he enjoyed their conversation.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2004, 03:43:44 PM »

A Stritch in time...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2004, 03:47:51 PM »

I was in 10th grade band class (5th period) when the Asst. Principal announced over the PA system that Kennedy had been shot.  We were directed to go to our 6th period classes and wait for further word.

Shortly afterward, we learned the President was dead and we were dismissed.  It seems to me it was a Thursday.  But it may have been a Wednesday.  I know I did not return to school until the first Monday after the funeral (the day after Oswald was murdered).

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2004, 03:50:32 PM »

Panni, I do some of my best thinking in the bathroom.  Particularly in the tub.  I like long hot soaks.  And I read in the tub.  As well as the other obvious spot.  But it seems that nobody else does or at least they're not owning up to it.  You're the only one who's even answered the question.

REALITY CHECK, PEOPLE!  Remembering where you were when Kennedy was shot IS NOT quite the same thing as when Kennedy Jr. died.  The one was a genuine tragedy and national calamity (whether you liked him or not) and the other was...I'm sorry...an unfortunate incident.  But Dad WAS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES WHO WAS ASSASSINATED.  Jr. was a nice enough rich guy who wrecked his plane.  What were his accomplishments that his death should have the same weight and memory factor as his father's?  He started a magazine that nobody I know reads and he apparently had a dubious marriage. Not quite the same thing as Dad on the scale of things. I have no idea where I was when I heard the news he died.  The world did not stop for me that day.  It ain't up there with JFK's assassination or 9/11.

For JFK, I was in eight grade sixth period English.  School was about to let out.  The principal came on over the intercom with the announcement.  Patty Martin sitting next to me broke out weeping.  Everyone else was in subdued shock.  They still held the football game that night (Nothing stops Fort Thomas football), though they did observe a moment of silence before the game started.  The rest of the weekend and part of next week was watching TV.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2004, 03:51:46 PM »

RLP, It was Friday, I'm pretty sure, because of the football game that night at my high school.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2004, 03:56:13 PM »

Does anyone remember the song that Nancy Ames(?) sang about the Kennedy Assassination on THAT WAS THE WEEK THAT WAS..? And whatever happened to her?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2004, 04:04:34 PM »

I remember the idea of the song...hmmmmmm....Nancy Ames, wasn't she married to someone equally semi-famous?

Yes, I was a Friday...and I remember because our basketball game - the first of the season was cancelled.

Did a quick search....TW3 didn't premiere its American version until January, 1964.  But the British version of TW3 concerning the Kennedy assassination was broadcast on American television, maybe that is what we are thinking about.

I do think there was a moment at the time of the MLK Jr and/or Robert Kennedy assassinations that Ames sang a particularly moving folk song, but I sure don't remember what it was.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 04:15:24 PM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2004, 04:16:56 PM »

Ames and her husband Danny Ward (?) run an event planning service in Houston and she and her daughter sell their jewelry designs on the web.

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2004, 04:16:56 PM »

Only remember "In The Summer Of His Years". Connie Francis made the Top 40 here with her version. I think Margaret Whiting also sang it.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2004, 04:17:43 PM »

Harold Prince talking on CSPAN right now.

What did he talk about?? Inquiring (or is it Enquiring?) minds want to know!

I wasn't born when JFK (the President) was shot and I don't remember what specifically I was doing when either of the space shuttles went down.

All I remember about Diana's death was that I really felt a loss.  I don't know why.  I never really paid much attention to news about her.  I really did respect her after she started charity work.  The summer after my freshman year in high school (1980), my dad drove my sister and I to visit his sisters in California (both of whom will be visiting in July!) and we watched the wedding at my Aunt Mary Lou's house.  Watching ALL of the news of her death was very surreal.

When the two towers (not a Lord of the Rings reference) were hit, I was living with my sister and she had the news on her radio.  She heard the announcement of the first one being hit and turned the TV.  I was still asleep but she started yelling, "Oh my God...Oh my God..." and that woke me up.  We watched the TV for a couple of hours and I went into work late.  Wherever I went that day and over the next few days, everyone was talking about it.  A locally produced fundraiser revue that I was going to usher for was cancelled.  (And sadly, that theater group eventually folded.  This was going to be their last big push for money.)  A couple of other shows had been cancelled, also.  Things didn't get back to "normal" for quite a while.  My ex-boyfriend (we're still good friends) is very sensitive to tragedies and really took it hard.  He cried quite a bit that first week after it happened.  I don't know why it affected him so deeply...he really didn't either.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2004, 04:19:24 PM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2004, 04:20:52 PM »

DRGEORGE he was answering questions from students from the Cobble School in New York about theatre.  He had to ask many of the kids to repeat their questions because he couldn't understand what they were saying, and I did almost expect him to ask one young girl to take the gum out of her mouth.

Jennifer

« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2004, 04:22:04 PM »

BK what do you do with your dvds after you watch them? Bring them back to the store?

RE: reading in the bathroom

I wonder if it's more a man thing.  I would never think of reading a book in there.  Although occasionally I will read a bit of the newspaper.

George

« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2004, 04:34:35 PM »

As for "reading material," I don't keep any in my bathroom.  If I'm somewhere that does have some, I usually do look through what's there.  But I don't need any reading material...no matter how long it may take. ::)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 04:35:27 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2004, 04:42:54 PM »

Bruce have you ever sold anything on eBay?  If you have, do you sell things regularly?  Do you buy things very often on eBay (assuming that you do at all)?  What do you (or anyone else) think of the new "My eBay" design?  I think it's too cluttered.  The type is a bit too large for the amount of room and the "My eBay Views" column on the left wastes space, since that column is empty (and unused) after the first screen.

And this is Post #1111 for me!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 04:48:39 PM by George »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2004, 04:49:19 PM »

I don't like the NEW Ebay.....but I guess I can get used to it.

I don't read in the bathroom.  I used to read the newspaper now and then, but for some reason, I like reading in bed now....might be an age thing.

Jed

« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2004, 04:56:47 PM »

REALITY CHECK, PEOPLE!  Remembering where you were when Kennedy was shot IS NOT quite the same thing as when Kennedy Jr. died.  The one was a genuine tragedy and national calamity (whether you liked him or not) and the other was...I'm sorry...an unfortunate incident.

I don't think anybody here is saying that the one really compares to the other, but are simply remembering these times that seem to stick out in our memories.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Charles Pogue

« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2004, 05:09:09 PM »

Jed, but I didn't even find JFK,Jr.'s death that momentus that it would even stick in my head.  It's what I hate about 24 hour news stations.  Now to pad out the time when there just isn't anything earth-shattering, they blow up small events into big news.

I remember a few years back some golfer died in a plane crash or something and they covered his funeral and everything...you would have thought JFK had been shot all over again.  Same with that race car driver's death.  Suddenly all things have the same weight because the news channels have time to fill.  And lightweight, small stories are sensationalized long past their legitimate newsworthiness.

Walter Cronkite used to be able to give me all the important news in a half hour.  I liked it that way.  I could fill in any details with a newspaper.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up