Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TOO POOPED TO POP  (Read 63107 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:TOO POOPED TO POP
« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2008, 05:37:13 PM »

Our DR's in Arizona should enjoy the Arizona link.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #181 on: September 28, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »

Ah, yes. We hear that song every now and again out here. Thanks, Jane.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #182 on: September 28, 2008, 05:40:41 PM »

Nothing goes well with broccoli, IMHO.
Well, there you go again, making things controversial!   ;)

As it happens, I have a copy of Andrew Dornenberg and Karen Page's Culinary Artistry right here with me, a book of lists of what foods go well with other foods.  I know professional chefs who use it to come up with ideas for their menus.

For BROCCOLI, they have the following suggestions:

Anchovies
Bacon
Bread crumbs
Butter
Cheese, especially Parmesan, Romano or Swiss
Cream
Cumin
Garlic
Hollandaise sauce
Lemon
Maltaise sauce
Nuts, especially almonds and walnuts
Olive oil
Onions
Orange
Peppers, expecially hot
Pimiento
Potatoes
Vinaigrette
and Watercress

(The bold emphasis is theirs for combinations that are considered particularly classic.)

(I have no idea what Maltaise sauce consists of.   :-\)

They also suggest the following cooking methods:

Deep-Fry
Saute
and Steam.

Deep fried broccoli with anchovies and orange.  Maybe not ideal.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #183 on: September 28, 2008, 05:41:44 PM »

The Amazing Race is being sponsored by Travelocity.

Talk about product placement!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2008, 05:43:35 PM »

So, Jose, when were you at Shake Shack? One of the only good card stores (a Hallmark, yes I use real cards) left in my neighborhood is on Park Avenue South and 23rd St. I was there around 4ish and specifically walked back to Madison Square Park and walked through the Shake Shack area looking to see if you were there. You were not so I ambled back home, had some turkey and black bean chili for dinner and I then rode the exercise bike (75 minutes) and did 10 minutes with my 3 pound weights. I watched an episode of CSI on Spike and about 15 minutes of Antiques Roadshow.

See you in the morning.

MBarnum

« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2008, 05:50:51 PM »

Hello, DRs.

Well, here's the thing... [to quote Kathy Griffin]

I am, quite frankly, embarrassed to be in the middle of such a brouhaha.  Despite my sometimes more intentionally outrageous posts, the truth is that I don't much enjoy being the center of attention.

I had posted this morning about departing HHW for one reason:  I didn't feel  comfortable remaining here when I had partially been the cause of a decision by another DR  - someone who has been a part and parcel of this community a lot longer than I have - to feel the need to depart.

The good news in all of this is that DR Cillaliz has been gracious enough to keep the lines of communication open, off-list.  We have been having an ongoing discussion, and this afternoon she personally asked me to return to HHW [along with bk and some other DRs].  DR Cillaliz herself is not quite ready to return yet, but she will be back eventually.  And knowing this, I felt that I could return to HHW in good conscience.

Thanks to all those who have messaged me privately.  I am sorry to have been a part of such a boondoggle on HHW.  And I will do what I can to bring DRs TCB, elmore3003, and anyone else affected  back 'round as well.

Cheers-
-David

Oh, just tell the truth DR Slingback, it was the Jorge Rivero pictures that brought you back, wasn't it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »

So, Jose, when were you at Shake Shack? One of the only good card stores (a Hallmark, yes I use real cards) left in my neighborhood is on Park Avenue South and 23rd St. I was there around 4ish and specifically walked back to Madison Square Park and walked through the Shake Shack area looking to see if you were there. You were not so I ambled back home, had some turkey and black bean chili for dinner and I then rode the exercise bike (75 minutes) and did 10 minutes with my 3 pound weights. I watched an episode of CSI on Spike and about 15 minutes of Antiques Roadshow.

See you in the morning.

:)

I went down there with my friend, Michael, and we didn't get there until around 5:00, maybe 5:30, so...

*Oh, DR Ben watching a show on "Spike"!  Who knew?!? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2008, 05:52:09 PM »

Idaho?

U da ho!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »

Hasn't TAR always been sponsored by Travelocity and its (as Phil says it) "nom"? (Gnome).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

td

• td
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »

I'm off to watch the HOUSEWIVES; will catch up with Sookie Stackhouse much later.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2008, 05:55:51 PM »

Deep fried broccoli with anchovies and orange.  Maybe not ideal.   ::)

Actually, that could work if the broccoli is breaded and deep-fried - or maybe even a tempura-like batter, then served with a sauce made with some orange juice and zest (for a citrus note), and some anchovies mashed into for salinity.  Sort of like one of the traditional accompaniments for mozzarella in corrazza.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2008, 06:01:40 PM »

DR JRand sent me a gnome once, but over the winter he disintegrated, unfortunately. I think part of his hat and his nose are still lying in the flower garden.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:02:06 PM by MBarnum »

Ginny

« Reply #192 on: September 28, 2008, 06:14:10 PM »

...a silly dream ballet...

DH Richard always falls asleep during the dream ballets.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #193 on: September 28, 2008, 06:16:44 PM »

Ah, yes. We hear that song every now and again out here. Thanks, Jane.

You live in such a beautiful state & the photographs with the song captured much of the beauty.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:18:28 PM by Jane »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: September 28, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »

"Do you pop out at parties? Are you unpoopular?"
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2008, 06:19:30 PM »

Actually, that could work if the broccoli is breaded and deep-fried - or maybe even a tempura-like batter, then served with a sauce made with some orange juice and zest (for a citrus note), and some anchovies mashed into for salinity.  Sort of like one of the traditional accompaniments for mozzarella in corrazza.
Which reminds me...

A couple of nights ago, I tried making dashi and tempura.  Lacking a more traditional noodle to put in the dashi, I used a nest of angel hair pasta, and it turned out very nicely.  Der B thought that it could have used a bit of Thai chili-garlic sauce (a thicker, un-pureed version of sriracha, something that he picked out  :o at our local gourmet shoppe).

As for the tempura, I deep-fried some very nice shrimp, zucchini, onion rings, and bell pepper.  He loved it.  The big quibble that I had was that the recipe I used had an egg yolk in the batter.  Is this typical for tempura, or was the recipe a bit wierd?  I somehow remember the batter generally just being flour and ice water.

Ben

« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2008, 06:19:49 PM »

*Oh, DR Ben watching a show on "Spike"!  Who knew?!? ;)

Yep, one of those cable stations that run one or two programs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (you get the picture, hey, that's a good typing exercise, typing and over over and over and over and over...ahh, forget it) again. At least if you ever missed an episode you're sure to see it on one of those stations. It's like Lifetime playing Snapped over and over and Bravo running marathons of their various reality shows.

Jane

« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »

DR JRand sent me a gnome once, but over the winter he disintegrated, unfortunately. I think part of his hat and his nose are still lying in the flower garden.

I'm sorry DR JRand's gnome disintegrated, still I can manage to laugh. ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »

You are a lousy parent!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2008, 06:36:35 PM »

Which reminds me...

A couple of nights ago, I tried making dashi and tempura.  Lacking a more traditional noodle to put in the dashi, I used a nest of angel hair pasta, and it turned out very nicely.  Der B thought that it could have used a bit of Thai chili-garlic sauce (a thicker, un-pureed version of sriracha, something that he picked out  :o at our local gourmet shoppe).

As for the tempura, I deep-fried some very nice shrimp, zucchini, onion rings, and bell pepper.  He loved it.  The big quibble that I had was that the recipe I used had an egg yolk in the batter.  Is this typical for tempura, or was the recipe a bit wierd?  I somehow remember the batter generally just being flour and ice water.

Hmm... sambal-oleck. :)

As for adding an egg or egg yolk to tempura batter...  In my experience - and recipe reading, following and making - an egg in the batter is more traditional than not.  The eggs adds some body to the batter, as well as some color from the yolk.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2008, 06:43:53 PM »

DR Jose, did DN Alyssa enjoy her birthday party?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2008, 06:52:20 PM »

DR Jose, did DN Alyssa enjoy her birthday party?

I think so.  I hope so.  I actually tried calling my parents and each of my brothers earlier today, but no one seemed to be answering their phones.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2008, 07:10:29 PM »

My goodness I leave you people alone for a few minutes and all heck breaks loose!

I am glad to see that just about everybody is back and playing nicely again.    

Yes Ginny one year ago we had a wonderful weekend togther.  It is a treasured memory and Cilla, Singdaw and Elmore's presence was part of what made it so wonderful and memorable. I look forward to many more such occasions.  (Perhaps at the Broadway opening of a musical: book by FJL, JMK & BK, score by Skip, BK and JMK, orchestrations by Elmore, musical direction by Jose and the Broadway debut of all our acting DR's... I myself will pay the part of the enthusiastic audience member, a part I was born to play!)  

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2008, 07:10:39 PM »

DR Jose, that is a lot of family not to reach at once.  I've had it happen a number of times myself, & it was always just a coincidence.  

Jane

« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2008, 07:11:36 PM »

Hi DR Vixmom, is all well back in the Vixhouse?

vixmom

« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »

Well yesterday I bought a new microwave,  The dryer seems to work onteh timed setting but the automatic sensor seems to be malfuntioning so I am just using the timed settings for now.

Vixdad fixed the computer and I think I will be shopping fpr a new dishwasher - it's older than the Vixter so I guess it's time...so much for my hoped for visit to see South Pacific... the ticket money will be spent on the dishwasher instead

vixmom

« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2008, 07:22:57 PM »

Yesterday after I signed off I went out and did some microwave shopping, I checked out Kohl's, Target, Walmart and Costco but nothing appealed to me.  

So I picked up the salad supplies for the Church's spaghetti dinner (did I mention the spaghetti dinner already?  The Vixter is joining several of the other church youth to attend the Lutheran National Gathering in New Orleans next summer.  It is a service based weeklong gathering where they will be helping the recovery effort  We are in the process of fundraising to pay for their fares, their food and housing etc and the spaghetti dinner was part of the process)    

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2008, 07:26:52 PM »

DR Jane - I keep meaning to mention that I finally tried "Absolute Bagels" which is basically "on campus" at Columbia University.  -And I have to say, that they truly have the best bagels I've ever had here in NYC.  -Especially when they're still warm!  No butter or cream cheese needed!  The pic below is of their "Everything Bagel (with and without schmear)", but they also make Egg Bagels too. :)

*And the shop was founded and still run by a family from Thailand!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:29:47 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2008, 07:28:02 PM »

I have a sneezy cold, and had to miss the NYMF show I was going to see tonight.  :(

Jane

« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2008, 07:28:39 PM »

Will you be chaperoning the trip to New Orleans?  It sounds like a great trip, for the Vixter.

'night.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up