Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT  (Read 22451 times)

Michael

Re:ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2004, 04:17:44 PM »

I would think Laura's Theme would not have been included was because it was only an instrumental in the film. Lyrics were added afterwards to many other favorite theme scores like Where Do I Begin? from Love Story. The Summer Knows from The Summer of '42 and Speak Softly Love from The Godfather.

As for Col. Bogey's March it was also an instrumental.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2004, 04:20:11 PM »

Page Six Dance

« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 04:21:41 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2004, 04:24:39 PM »

And One For Mahler

GERMAN BREAKFAST PANCAKES

serves 6

6 Eggs
1/8 ts Salt
1 c Flour -- unsifted
12 c Milk
1 t Sugar
1/4 lb Butter
- Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Lightly beat eggs with salt. Gradually add flour to milk, blending until smooth. Add this mixture and the sugar to the eggs and blend well. Place the butter into the cast iron skillets and place them into the oven until butter melts. Brush butter up sides of skillet(s). Add the batter to the pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until the pancakes rise and puff and are lightly browned. Lower the temperature to 400°F if pancakes are browning too fast. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately with one or more of the toppings suggested below.

Topping Suggestions: Fruit jam, fresh berries, sliced fresh fruit, sour cream, applesauce, sugar and cinnamon.

At the restaurant we first tried these at, The Original Pancake House, they use a similar pancake but serve it one of two ways.

An Apple Pancake is served with warmed Fried Apples (like Cracker Barrel's)/Apple Pie Filling inside the middle.

The German Pancake is served with the powdered sugar sifted over the middle and fresh squeezed lemon juice squirted on top of that. When served, just take a butter knife and spread the powdered sugar and lemon juice out over the rest of the middle of the pancake.

Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2004, 04:27:17 PM »

Ah, yes....absolutely...the horse is dead, dead, dead!

May the fershluganah beast rest in peace at some point.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 04:28:13 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Michael

« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2004, 04:31:30 PM »

Dim Sum my favorite place is in Montreal at Maison Kam Fung (Kam Fung House) I wish I could find one in Florida where I live that is just as good
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2004, 04:34:23 PM »

Well...  I need to head out for a while and blow of some steam... ARRGGHH!!  -Film at 11:00 - well, hopefully not..

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2004, 04:53:01 PM »

Evening all!

The root canal wasn’t as bad as I thought.  In fact, I feel much better.  My tooth isn’t throbbing and the Advil seems to be doing the trick as far as pain control.

The doctor was a real cutie but way to young for me.  He said I was one the best patients he’s worked on.  When it was over and he said it was nice to meet me, I told him I’d like to say, “We’ll have to do this again sometime but I think not.”  He got a big kick out of that.  

The worst part was when then put the dam in my mouth.  A piece of rubber that stretched over my entire mouth.  I had told the assistant before it started that I was mouth breather and she said she would put a hole in it for me.  She did but for a moment or two there I was honestly very close to a panic attack.  

I am a little tired.  It might be the meds.  

Breakfast foods.  Hummm, you know on the weekends I’m lucky if I eat one meal a day.  I do love bacon and eggs.    Pancakes, waffles, French Toast....  That was one thing I really enjoyed on my trip.  The eating.  Breakfast, especially.   Yum! :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2004, 04:54:56 PM »

German pancakes.... German pancakes.... German pancakes.... German pancakes.... German pancakes.... German pancakes.... German pancakes.... German pancakes.... German pancakes....

Panni

« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2004, 04:57:26 PM »

Glad you came through it so well, Danise!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2004, 05:31:48 PM »

Actually, I'm not at all sure what goes into Burgoo -- a stewlike concoction.  And I think I've only had it maybe once in my life.  It is a big thing around Kentucky Derby time and people conjure it up for their Derby parties...We never do, opting for b-b-q shredded chicken instead (of which BK is admirer).

I'm sure Jason or RLP can enlighten us further.

Panni

« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2004, 05:42:38 PM »

I'm still thinking about German pancakes... Ich bin ein Pancaker.

Panni

« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2004, 05:57:59 PM »

AOL is really something. I was talking to them today about a phony AOL letter I received and took the opportunity to ask why I'm being kicked off so much recently. The young man was telling me things to do to fix this - which all had to do with Windows. I kept telling him I have a Mac. When this was finally understood, he said he'd consult their Mac department and email me info. So the email arrives - a generic fix-it doc. One of the options is to click on the "stay connected" section. I did. What came up is "This URL cannot be accessed!"
BTW - The AOL man asked me the usual questions about my use of the Internet. When I told him that I'm a screenwriter and use if for research -- he spent five minutes telling me the idea he had for a movie. (He would have spent more, but I stopped him.)

Robin

« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2004, 06:16:10 PM »

One of the options is to click on the "stay connected" section. I did. What came up is "This URL cannot be accessed!"

LOL!

I was an AOL subscriber for about five years.  About two years ago, Michael and I decided that AOL was not for us...and what a good decision that turned out to be!  Our current internet provider is infinitely better, and better still, local.  Which means they can send people to your house and fix what needs fixing.

Customer service!  What a concept!

Okay, end of anti-AOL rant.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #163 on: June 22, 2004, 06:19:02 PM »

Everyone has an idea for a movie.

Not surprisingly, I have an idea for a movie.  

It's Die Hard meets On Golden Pond!!!

Money in the bank, I tells ya...money in the bank!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2004, 06:27:43 PM »

Finally back after a very long seven hours at Mr. Grant Geissman's house, doing some very interesting things.  We did take an hour for lunch and I WOULD have had breakfast but I hate the place we went (Mel's Diner) and their breakfasts are no good, so I played safe and had a BLTA and onion rings.  A small egg-based meal could be in the offing later.

Thanks to all for keeping the home fries burning, especially with such splendidly splendid posts.  We must do a hainsies/kimlets west coast Pantry meet soon.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2004, 06:32:00 PM »

DR Panni:  did your AOL tech tell you to "uninstall your AOL adapter?"  That is their be-all end-all fix-it phrase no matter what the problem is.  I could call them and tell them there's no world peace and they would say, "Well you need to uninstall your AOL adapter."  I kid you not.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2004, 06:46:41 PM »

Yes, the old AOL adaptor.  It, of course, fixes nothing.

Panni

« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2004, 06:54:33 PM »

DR Panni:  did your AOL tech tell you to "uninstall your AOL adapter?"  That is their be-all end-all fix-it phrase no matter what the problem is.  I could call them and tell them there's no world peace and they would say, "Well you need to uninstall your AOL adapter."  I kid you not.

No, this man knew nothing. Other than he had a movie idea - but he didn't know what to call "that thing" you write. I said "Screenplay?" He said, "No, the movie, the stuff they say, you know."

Panni

« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2004, 06:55:43 PM »

I just made myself scrambled eggs with mushrooms and turkey sausage for dinner. Yum. But no German pancakes. Sigh...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 06:56:18 PM by Panni »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2004, 07:01:08 PM »

I just made myself scrambled eggs with mushrooms and turkey sausage for dinner. Yum. But no German pancakes. Sigh...

Panni, my mom is German.  I'm sure that if you ever visit Washington state, she'd make German pancakes for you!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2004, 07:05:15 PM »

Tonight is the season premiere of Nip/Tuck. An excellent show. Vanessa Redgrave will be guesting as the randy mother of series regular (and daughter) Joely Richardson. The whole first season is available on DVD.

Panni

« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2004, 07:07:13 PM »

Panni, my mom is German.  I'm sure that if you ever visit Washington state, she'd make German pancakes for you!

Danke schon! Meanwhile, could she mail me some?

Panni

« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2004, 07:10:45 PM »

I'm going out to get some ice cream. Perhaps they have a German Pancake flavor.

Tomovoz

« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2004, 07:18:59 PM »

DR Panni: I thought that "nip and tuck" was what happened after too many German pancakes. (and or icecream).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2004, 08:14:01 PM »

I will part company with those of you who are fond of chipped beef on toast. Oh, I can eat it, and did fairly often growing up. My dad, an army man, loved it, so my mom would cook it for him.

But I can't say I've had it in 30 years or more.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2004, 08:19:06 PM »

I can understand many folks' addiction to nip/tuck, but I'm a wuss and just can't watch the graphic operations. So, I opted out last season.

THE JURY is much more my speed.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2004, 08:21:47 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from my second walk of the day... I needed it.  Not only to help the dinner I had earlier to settle in my stomach, but also to walk off some "bad" news I got earlier this evening.  I'm actually still in shock about it - more shock actually than disappointment right now.  -And, I guess, even a little bit of anger.  It's just one of those situations where I never thought anything could go wrong.  Heck, I approached them about the project.  And since I've been working with this organization for years at this point... And I even devoted a couple of weeks to them recently on my own time and own dime.  For all I knew, everything was still on track.  But, as it turned out, someone else somehow entered the picture.  And, worst of all, it appears that the decision was made a few weeks ago, and I was just informed tonight.  By e-mail.  And I've been attempting to follow up on things for the past couple of months(!), but did not receive any word back until tonight.  So... What can you do?  Well, I'm gonna attempt to get some answers to the plethora of questions I have currently racing through my head - that's what I'm gonna do tomorrow.

The news really did throw me for a loop.  On a professional, I can take it.  But there is actually some personal history involved here, and that's what makes it hurt.  Makes it shocking.

What I'm hoping is that I misread the e-mail, but since the e-mail was only two sentences long(!), I doubt it.  But I can dream, can't I?

On the bright side of things, I can at least take myself out of that "holding pattern".  But since I was also kept in a "waiting mode" yesterday, this was not what I needed tonight.

Ah, well...

OK - End of rant... Hopefully, I won't have to rant again tomorrow.

The walk helped, and I even bought some Lotto tickets on the way back.  Alas, I didn't win tonight - they just showed the drawing on TV.  Oh, and I bought an old-fashioned popsicle, cherry-flavored.  So much pleasure in simple things.

I caught the beginning and the end of the AFI's "100 Years, 100 Songs" special.  Interesting choices all around.  No real surprises, imho, although, undoubtedly some favorites have been left out, and there were probably some questionable choices and rankings in the minds of some people.  But the list was already whittled down from 400 choices - and it's good to know that the original "ballot" would have been much, much longer.

-I just have to ask... What the heck happened to John Travolta?!?!?  He was hard to watch, and hard to listen to after a while.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2004, 08:21:50 PM »

Also watched the poignant CITY FOR CONQUEST today. Hadn't seen it in quite a few years, and it came on at the perfect time when I was settling in for my evening's entertainment. TCM's print had a fair amount of damage for a 1940 movie, but it was nevertheless enjoyable.

Matt H.

« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2004, 08:24:45 PM »

DR Jose wrote: "What the heck happened to John Travolta?!?!?  He was hard to watch, and hard to listen to after a while."

I didn't watch the show, so I have to ask what you mean by this? Was he old? Fat? Sarcastic? Bored?

Matt H.

« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2004, 08:26:12 PM »

Meant to add how sorry I was to read about not getting your music back, DR Jose, and also sorry about this most recent upset about your project. Things happen for a reason, so maybe you'll be doing something else even more interesting now that you won't have this.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up