Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT  (Read 22223 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT
« on: June 22, 2004, 12:05:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the news (which is fit to print), and now it is time for us to have all the posts that are fit to print.  Please make sure your posts fit, for there is nothing worse than an ill-fitting post.  Looking forward to our breakfast discussion all the livelong day.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 12:00:21 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 12:10:10 AM »

Holy mother of pearl, I was directed to look at a website that is without question the ugliest and most amateur thing I have ever seen.  I'll let you all discover it yourselves - my mind is not easily boggled, but it just boggled itself majorly.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 12:25:54 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS.  Let's be patient while S. Woody White finishes writing his epic post.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 12:26:06 AM »

Breakfasts, breakfasts, breakfasts...

I've always been in love with French toast.  There's something about the egginess, combined with really good bread, and maybe some cinnamon, and butter, and maple syrup...

And I love bacon, and scrambled eggs.  I used to semi-regularly have breakfast at a joint down the street from where der Brucer and I lived, where I'd have scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, and French toast.  And I didn't skimp on the Tobasco on the hash browns.  (Tobasco and hash browns are a natural combination.)

However, my new love is scrapple!  It's not a West Coast thing, but since I'm not a West Coast thing anymore, either, scrapple is my new thing.  Generally, I've had it pan-fried, with catsup, but one of my new co-workers, Tim, has suggested something different.  He suggests dusting the scrapple with flour, then grilling it!  He also suggests serving it with apple butter, which sounds absolutely delish.  (Tim's a farm boy, he should know these things.)  Of course, he then took it a couple of steps farther, suggesting making a scrapple sandwich:  toast two slices of good bread, slather on the apple butter on the toast, and lay on a couple of grilled scrapple slices between the coated toast to make the sandwich.  The next step further, he suggested adding to the sandwich a fried egg.

I think I'm going to leave that to der Brucer; he's more the fried egg type.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 12:26:52 AM »

Epic enough?   8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 12:32:42 AM »

Totally epic.  And now I'm totally hungry.  I will definitely be having some sort of all-day breakfast meal tomorrow.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 12:39:51 AM »

Methinks our gracious leader and host has left to find himself something to eat.

While I'm at it, could someone explain to me what makes grits a breakfast food?  I've been serving it up on occasion as a starch for dinner.  (Tonight's dinner, in fact, was accompanied by grits, which I cooked in chicken broth with some minced and sweated bell pepper and onion, and then stirred in some freshly grated Swiss and Parmesan cheese.  It came out a bit looser than I was planning, but yummilicious all the same.)  So, as a question, how are grits prepared differently if they're being used as part of a breakfast?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 12:46:35 AM »

I'm here, just trying not to vomit on the ground over what I saw earlier.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 12:59:38 AM »

I've deleted my post.  I hope I didn't offend. :-[
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 01:14:06 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 02:01:33 AM »

Up in the middle of the night, with another thought on the Meryl Streep shindig:

Cher looks horrible!  She's had so much botox pumped into her face that she can barely move her eyes and lips.  Everything else is frozen solid.  I don't think she can even turn her head any more!

There, I've said it, and I'm glad.  Now I can sleep easier.

Danise

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 04:28:30 AM »

However, my new love is scrapple!

Not in this lifetime.  Not if my life depended on it.  Do you know what that stuff is made of????  YYYYUUUUUKKKKKK!!!!!!  You and my Mom can have a Scrapplefest.   Just don't expect me to attend.  

Thanks everyone for making me feel better about going for the root canal.  I'm leaving in a few to have it done.  I'll let you know how it was tonight.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 04:29:59 AM »

For weekend breakfasts I like buttermilk pancakes or French toast (made from chalah) with plenty of maple syrup. Homemade blueberry muffins are excellent, too. But I prefer eggs - especially a mushroom omelet - for dinner.

Weekdays, I like a bowl of fresh fruit and yogurt.

And, always, lots of strong, hot coffee.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004, 04:42:33 AM »

I too found the bill (bills, actually: one for the canal, one for the crown) to be the most painful part of the experience. It sounds much worse than it is.

My friend Steve claims that he considered faking root canal because his dentist was so cute.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004, 05:10:39 AM »

I just finished a bowl of oatmeal and raisins which is my usual breakfast (I want high fiber). I also love a good cup of hot coffee in the morning although I drink much less coffee now. When I want to be bad, I love a plate of eggs over easy with bacon, whole wheat toast, hash browns and a bottomless pot of coffee provided by Perkins Cake and Steak (I don't know if it's even called that anymore). For those of you who don't know it, Perkins is like IHOP. It was our college theatre late night hangout during those years when you could drink coffee all night and stay up till 3 and then get up and go back to rehearsal. Ummm, breakfast 24 hours a day. Eggs cooked just enough and then you poke your bacon (that sounds dirty) into the yolk and heaven. Mixing the yolk with the bacon and the hash browns. I'm making myself hungry!!! For change of pace, a good plate of French Toast with real maple syrup is a treat too.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2004, 05:10:45 AM »

I love hotel breakfasts. My favorite meal when I'm traveling. If I'm alone, going down to the hotel restaurant with a newspaper, for people watching, reading and a good breakfast, is grand. Or - esp. if I'm in a good hotel on a production company's dime - room service breakfast with two newspapers (USA Today or the NY Times and the local paper - unless I'm in NY in which case the NY Times IS the local paper), the Today show on TV and me in a plush hotel bathrobe and nothing else. Heaven.

Favorite breakfast: Depends on my mood, but there are several:
1. Du-Pars panckakes with a side of crisp bacon.
2. Poached or scrambled eggs with fruit and a side of crisp bacon and a toasted bagel (with marmalade)
3. A big bowl of really good oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar (NOT instant oatmeal)
All of the above with coffee -- half caffeinated/half decaff

Now I want breakfast, but it's 5 AM-ish and I'm going back to bed.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 05:14:00 AM by Panni »

Ben

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2004, 05:12:02 AM »

I'm going to have to make a special trip to Los Angeles just to get to DuPars. Those pancakes sound devoon.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2004, 06:13:56 AM »

My absolute favorite breakfast, which I indulge in only once in a blue moon, is steak and eggs.  Love it!  Especially if I'm in an eatery where you can smell the food being prepared. (I was drooling last night as I watched Whoopi Goldberg serve this up last night in The Color Purple.)

More often enjoyed is a good old western omelet, with maybe some hash brown on the side.  My daily breakfast usually consists of a bowl of cheerios and a glass of orange juice, which is really not enough for a growing boy like me.

And then there's coffee.  I loves my coffee!  At my office we used to have the typical auto drip setup that was serviced by an outside vendor.  I thought the coffee tasted fine but a lot of people hated it.  Now we have this new machine that makes individual cups using these single-serve packets (also, it makes lattes, cappuccino, tea and espresso shots.)  I think it tastes weak, but because it only makes 8 ounces at a time I find myself getting up more often and drinking more of this stuff than I usually do.  And there-in lies my dilemma!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2004, 06:19:33 AM »

Last night I saw EMPTY HANDED featuring three of the AVENUE Q puppetters without puppets.  Despite the fact that two of the three's bios list only puppet work, all three are quite talented performers as themselves, and the evening was well put together.  There were a few semi standards (Finn's "Sailing", Styne-Comden & Green's "If", "Taylor the Latte Boy" sung by John Tartaglia) but most of the material was new including a song written for Stephanie d'Abruzzo called "If I Weren't Married and You Weren't Gay" and a c&w spoof performed by Jennifer Barnhart, "Drinking for Two", sung to her uterius.  Whenever they leave the avenue, any of these three could easily appear in a show without puppets...  unless they go to Vegas and star in SIEGFRIED AND ROD (as they refer to the planned LV production of the show).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2004, 06:32:03 AM »

Not in this lifetime.  Not if my life depended on it.  Do you know what that stuff is made of????  YYYYUUUUUKKKKKK!!!!!!  You and my Mom can have a Scrapplefest.   Just don't expect me to attend.  

Thanks everyone for making me feel better about going for the root canal.  I'm leaving in a few to have it done.  I'll let you know how it was tonight.  

DR Danise, it depends on how the scrapple is made.  I've seen scrapple made from choice cuts of pork or ready-made sausage to using parts of a slaughtered hog's head.  But still, it not anywhere near as bad as what you think goes into a hot dog.  Do yourself a favor and pick some up at a place like Trader Joes and, Like SWW says, cover some slices in flour and fry them up.  You'll be hooked for life!

Add me to the list of those with relatively painless root canal experience.  To me the worse part about it was having to sit there with my mouth stretched wide open for that length of time.  But as far as any kind of Marathon Man type of pain is concerned--feh!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2004, 06:33:36 AM »

I came downstairs this morning, only to be reminded that yesterday I finished off my cereal and that I forgot to go to the store to get more for today.  All this talk of breakfast food is making me very hungry.  Which can only mean one thing: a trip to get a Sausage McMuffin with Egg!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 06:39:37 AM »

A bagel with cream cheese and lox is another breakfast favorite.

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2004, 06:43:22 AM »

Greetings fellow breakfasters!..My favourite breakfast is a recipe a friend of mine gave me. Take about half a dozen good ripe tomatoes, chop roughly, and place in a saucepan, add one large or two medium onions well chopped, a generous pinch of dried mixed herbs and simmer together until the onion is soft, add one or two eggs per person and allow them to poach in the onion tomato mixture. Serve on hot buttered grain toast. Season with salt and pepper to taste. YUMMMM!!!!!
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2004, 06:44:47 AM »

BTW, can anyone educate a poor man from Oz...Just what in tarnation is Grits anyway????
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 07:00:26 AM »

Do you know what that stuff is made of????  YYYYUUUUUKKKKKK!!!!!!  

Well it 'taint snips and snails and puppy dog tails!

der Brucer - who believes that Scrapple fulfills the admonition "Waste not, want not".
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2004, 07:02:46 AM »

A few weeks ago I posted about a colleague who had sold her home and was looking for an apartment with a view. I mentioned my building - some of the large apartments have excellent views - and she responded with the putdown, "I've been in your building and the apartments are really ugly."

Yesterday I received an e-mail with the subject line "hi, neighbor." Guess who's moving in?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 07:13:23 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2004, 07:03:09 AM »

...sung to her uterius...

Are you serious,
Sung to her uterius,
How delerious!

der Briucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2004, 07:13:36 AM »

While I'm at it, could someone explain to me what makes grits a breakfast food?

It's not, dear heart. A casual exploration of eateries throughout the Southland (no, not SoCal, the real "Yes, for paradise the Southland is my nominee.
Jes' give me a ham hock and a grit of hominy" ) will discover Grits "offered" morning noon and night.

I put "offered" in quotes becasue my first exposure to grits was in the '50s motoring through Dixie (Florida bound to visit the Circus wintering over in Sarasota) when they appeared on every plate, invited or not.

der Brucer (who thought they were digusting at the time - Raw Oysters, Scrapple - yes, Grits - UGH!)

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2004, 07:15:00 AM »

Hmmm, I am not much of a breakfast person.  But I do love blueberry pancakes with two syrups (maple and corn).

I like poached eggs and bacon.

My favorite cereal is HoneyNut CornFlakes and raspberries and blueberries.

Something I rarely have but like: EggMcMuffin and hashbrown!

Never tried scrapple or grits.  And never had steak and eggs.  I really don't think I could ever be hungry enough in the morning to eat steak.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2004, 07:15:00 AM »

The best breakfast I ever had was a breakfast buffet at the Court of Two Sisters in New Orleans on Easter Sunday. Gorgeous weather, the best food ever cooked and as much as you wanted (including eggs benedict which I also love), mimosas under the blooming wisteria outside serenaded by a live jazz band. I'm telling you, it was sheer heaven.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2004, 07:18:37 AM »

Grits are a tough one to describe, but add a little cheese to them and they're WONDERFUL. They're...hmm...I don't know what they are, but my momma can make 'em good!

Favorite breakfasts: 1) McDonald's Sausage Biscuit with Egg. I don't know why I love it so, but it's divine...and fast. 2) Anything that uses maple syrup as a topping--Belgian waffles, French toast, American pancakes. Love it. 3) Eggs. Period. 4) Cold pepperoni pizza. 5) A big bowl of cereal--the sugary kind, preferably with "marshmallows" and a prize. And as of late, 6) a fruit 'n yogurt parfait.

I've been listening to THE GRAND TOUR and LA CAGE AUX FOLLES. I know a great many of you are huge Jerry Herman fans, but I must say...I'm hard pressed to say which show is which. It all sounds so similiar that I can't tell what's what. Of course I exaggerate--I know the difference between each show--but still! And how many choruses do we need of the same song?

Well, I was supposed to be at work 20 minutes ago and I'm still at home. I called to tell them I'd be late (I sort of overslept), so I'm off. Hasta la bye-bye!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up