Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEW!  (Read 19915 times)

Tomovoz

Re:WHEW!
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2004, 04:21:36 PM »

"Thou Shalt Not Steal" Dick & Deedee. (I think John D Loudermilk wrote the song).

Must search for a song about coveting the neighbour's ass. (or some such reference).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2004, 04:22:40 PM »

Don't expect a dance from me. The radio at the moment is in fact playing "Save The Last Dance For Me". Spooky.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2004, 05:17:27 PM »

Evening all!

There isn't much to tell about today.  President Bush was in town again.  Which meant traffic was all jammed up for hours in the middle of the day.

I did wish I had my camera with me during my lunch hour.  I saw a Pink Pigmobile.  It was a van that someone had made up to look like a big pink pig and it had 2 little pigs (trailers) being pulled behind it.  I know it was a protest regarding President Bush but since I'm not up on that kind of stuff, I don't know what a pink pig means.

It is thundering as I type this so I might have shut down here soon.   Have a great evening if I have to scoot!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2004, 05:20:18 PM »

Saved by DR Danise. I thought there was going to be a full hour go by without a post.
Thanks to DR Danise I now have "The Ballad Of Thunder Road" going through my head. One of those great singers - Robert Mitchum.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2004, 05:24:24 PM »

...I'm still stuck on the coveting your neighbor's ass song...

Danise

« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2004, 05:26:32 PM »

Awww, shucks, DR Tomovoz, it was nothing.  Really!   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2004, 05:26:46 PM »

I don't think Donkey Serenade (Allan Jones - father of Jack) will make the cut.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2004, 05:33:24 PM »

For some reason, the covet the ass song reminds me... Ages ago I co-wrote a Tarzan film for CBS (not my greatest artistic achievement) for which Charles Fox did, IMHO, a really good score. In one of the highly dramatic scenes, in which Tarzan is risking his life to go after the horrible hunters who ape-napped Cheetah, if you listen carefully you can hear voices singing "Don't steal my monkey...Don't steal my monkey...Don't steal my monkey...Don't steal my monkey..."

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2004, 05:40:46 PM »

Thanks for sharing that gem Panni. Just gave Colin a laugh.

Now I am humming a song called "Little Red Monkey" - from the early 50's. The canyons of mind have some very strange contents it seems.
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2004, 05:43:32 PM »

For some reason, the covet the ass song reminds me... Ages ago I co-wrote a Tarzan film for CBS (not my greatest artistic achievement) for which Charles Fox did, IMHO, a really good score. In one of the highly dramatic scenes, in which Tarzan is risking his life to go after the horrible hunters who ape-napped Cheetah, if you listen carefully you can hear voices singing "Don't steal my monkey...Don't steal my monkey...Don't steal my monkey...Don't steal my monkey..."

I always thought that the song was "Don't spank the monkey.. .don't spank the monkey. . ."   ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2004, 05:45:35 PM »

Had to go check my record collection
"Little Red Monkey" 1953 - Joy Nichols. It seems it was not a hit record in the US of A. Maybe BK remembers it but he is of course a year younger than I.
Do I need to get a life?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2004, 05:46:36 PM »

Lovely to see you DR td. A special greeting to you from Mr Birkeland.
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2004, 05:52:05 PM »

Oh, in a very interesting turn of events, Chris Rawson re-evaluated Jeff Goldblum's performance in Act One of MUSIC MAN, and came away very impressed.  His new thoughts were in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this morning, as well as a letter to the editor which praised Goldblum's Saturday night performance much more than I did.
When you go in expecting a train wreck,  but instead see something not going off track, you are pleasantly surprised.  I'll shall be seeing at least part of the show again tomorrow or Sunday.
And, yes, I got a nice little missive from TCB ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2004, 05:53:21 PM »

I have Googled:
"Little Red Monkey" was from the BBC radio show "Take It From Here"

Rosemary Clooney "covered" the song in the U S of A.

Life is full of excitment.
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2004, 06:02:56 PM »

Did the monkey get red from too much spanking?  ???

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2004, 06:07:23 PM »

I did wish I had my camera with me during my lunch hour.  I saw a Pink Pigmobile.  It was a van that someone had made up to look like a big pink pig and it had 2 little pigs (trailers) being pulled behind it.  I know it was a protest regarding President Bush but since I'm not up on that kind of stuff, I don't know what a pink pig means.

I think it means the lying war-mongering pig should be riding in it, DRDanise!  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2004, 07:05:23 PM »

Thanks for sharing that gem Panni. Just gave Colin a laugh.

Me too.   :D

We just returned from dinner in town.  It is a very warm evening here and we sat in the shade along the creek.  My only complaint is while sitting at this particular location you can't see the creek, just hear it.  I enjoyed my dinner very much but Keith wasn't as lucky.

I only had one small glass of wine and slowly sipped it.  I don't know why I'm feeling the effects as much as I am.  I really don't mind, unless I'm not alert enough to watch a very special movie I have been looking forward to.

Michael

« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2004, 07:46:53 PM »

Question for all the DVD techophiles out there. I got Journey to the Center of the Earth on clearance. They had before and after restoration scenes. The before was simply unwatchable. They did amazing jobs over the years, Question is this what is the difference between FILM RESTORATION and FILM AND VIDEO RESTORATION?
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2004, 07:49:45 PM »

Sorry Michael I can't answer your question.

Have a good evening-I'm off for the night.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2004, 08:21:14 PM »

If you didn't get MONK tonight, I noticed on my cable guide that it's also coming on tomorrow night at 6 p.m. EDT.

Tonight's show had a couple of very funny bits in it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2004, 08:26:33 PM »

Just a guess about your question, Michael, but I'm guessing that the film has undergone more than one restoration in its life span. Things might have been cleaned up for a video release when making a video master (and it might have had separate pan and scan and widescreen video masters) but also the film's negative might have been digitally cleaned up and transferred to make a new negative.  
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2004, 08:29:12 PM »

Just back from wandering around the City of Studio. Had my usual adventures, but I'm fighting a headache and it seems to be winning, so I'll relate adventures another time. Now for some Tylenol and a big clean-up of my little joint so it's sparkling for tomorrow's writing.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2004, 08:31:10 PM »

Coveting wasn't a part of it, but a funny guy I know once tried to convince me to set music to a lyric he'd written about serving donkey meat for dinner.  The title was Darling, Please Don't Make Me Eat Your Ass Again Tonight.  It was going to be a country song.  This is why I don't collaborate with lyricists.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2004, 08:39:03 PM »

Quote from: Noel on Today at 06:07:46pm
The mother-in-law is still on the couch, but has announced plans to leave tomorrow, for D.C.  She will have been on the couch watching Lord of the Rings (the first two) for roughly 88 hours.

All right, I'll bite.  Is she going through all of the audio commentaries, or just watching the films over and over and...

I mean, I've heard der Brucer's daughter complain about what goes on when her mother visits, but your MiL takes the cake!

I think I've heard some of those commentaries when I've gone through the living room.

Joy's also upset over her mother's consumption of food and expensive toiletries.  There's a whole process (which I can't claim to understand) Joy goes through to take a bag lunch to work.  It involves washing lettuce, spinning it in a salad spinner, than laying individual pieces to dry in between paper towels, covered in the refrigerator.  Only then can Joy prepare a portable lunch.  Of course her mother ate all the lettuce and hasn't bought anything since arriving here.  We've no indication she even has American money on her.  She says she needs a Bank of America ATM, and I don't know of any in New York.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2004, 08:58:18 PM »

We've no indication she even has American money on her.  She says she needs a Bank of America ATM, and I don't know of any in New York.
Try this link to Bank of America.

On the left hand side of the screen, towards the bottom, is an index for finding BofA ATMs.

If, upon finding a local ATM, the MinL comes up with some other excuse, then I advise finding new in-laws.  (Keep Joy, of course.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2004, 09:01:34 PM »

Bank of America customers can use any ATM with a matching logo (which seems to be most ATMs where I've traveled). Yes, she will have to pay a fee of a few dollars -- but she can get cash from it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2004, 09:28:08 PM »

Well, I got home about an hour and a half ago and waiting for me in the mail were several DVDs from eBay!!  Barbara Cook's "Mostly Sondheim" from one seller and a lot of four random DVDs from another:  Armistead Maupin's "Further Tales of the City" (I actually have this on video and it's the only title in the series that I have...now I have two copies!); "Ulee's Gold" with Peter Fonda (the only title that I didn't want); "Big Eden" with Arye Gross, George Coe, Veanne Cox and Louise Fletcher; and "Treading Water," a lesbian movie that I got for someone else (which is why I bid on the auction to begin with).  Now that's some varied viewing! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2004, 09:34:03 PM »

td, I also got "Who Killed Teddy Bear," yesterday!  I put it in my DVD player and it looked really good, until I got to the spot at 25 minutes and 19 seconds.  It stopped!  Right there!  Every time I played up to that spot, I couldn't get past it and I couldn't fast forward past it, either.  I couldn't even jump to the next chapter! :o I'm going to check it on my other two DVD players to see if it's just the machine or the disc itself.  I haven't left feedback for the seller, yet.  I've never left negative feedback and I hope I don't have to.  As long as it gets resolved, that's all I care about.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2004, 09:42:33 PM »

td, I also got "Who Killed Teddy Bear," yesterday!  I put it in my DVD player and it looked really good, until I got to the spot at 25 minutes and 19 seconds.  It stopped!  Right there!  Every time I played up to that spot, I couldn't get past it and I couldn't fast forward past it, either.  I couldn't even jump to the next chapter! :o I'm going to check it on my other two DVD players to see if it's just the machine or the disc itself.  I haven't left feedback for the seller, yet.  I've never left negative feedback and I hope I don't have to.  As long as it gets resolved, that's all I care about.  

Oh, I hope you don't have to either!  Make sure you contact the seller via private email and let him know of the problem; I'm sure that he'll do all that he can to make amends.

Panni

« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2004, 09:53:18 PM »

DOG QUESTION!

I just noticed that Abie has raw, red skin between the pads on one of his paws. He's been licking the area. I put Vitamin E cream on it. We'll see if it helps. Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 09:58:58 PM by Panni »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up