Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AZOOLAPALLOL  (Read 22077 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:AZOOLAPALLOL
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2004, 01:51:16 PM »

Did anyone know that today is Curly Howard's Birthday?  He'd be 101 years old, if he were still alive. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2004, 01:52:17 PM »

And WFO, I corrected my earlier post about the Rink parady lyrics.  Mea culpa...a Judge Turpin reference!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2004, 02:00:51 PM »

Jennifer: Sitzprobe is the first orchestra rehearsal for a musical, where the band goes through the entire score for the first time.  

In writing my book, I asked specifically if I should use that term and was told "no" by well-known conductor Don Pippin, who said that term was never used back in 1969, when such things were simply called the orchestra read-through.  So, when did sitzprobe come into fashion in terms of musical theater.

Thanks DR Elmore and BK.

I have no idea how often this term is used now.  The first time I heard it was yesterday when someone told me their musical was having one today.  Only problem is I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK IT MEANT. :)

sanjosegirl

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2004, 02:06:02 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this board.  I admit, I've lurked a few times but I thought I might as well say hello.  Mr. BK referred me to this board.  We used to work together at Triage Entertainment, where he coerced me into dubbing some Partridge Fam episodes to DVD for him.

As far as what is in my VCR, I too taped the PBS docu about Broadway last night.  Fun for all.

I was wondering what all of you theatre buffs in group think of this news that Dreamworks is planning a Broadway musical adaptation of Shrek?  They've brought the Avenue Q director on board quite early in the game...okay fine.  Yet it sounds like a big BAD idea to me.  Are Hollywood execs really so desperate to get their hands in the honeypot of theatre??

See this article for more detail:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/15/theater/newsandfeatures/15shre.html

Nice to meet you all.  And hello, Mr. Kimmel!

KS (sanjosegirl)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2004, 02:06:10 PM »

Thanks DR Elmore and BK.

I have no idea how often this term is used now.  The first time I heard it was yesterday when someone told me their musical was having one today.  Only problem is I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK IT MEANT. :)

DRJennifer, maybe they didn't know the meaning either.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2004, 02:09:23 PM »

I was wondering what all of you theatre buffs in group think of this news that Dreamworks is planning a Broadway musical adaptation of Shrek?  They've brought the Avenue Q director on board quite early in the game...okay fine.  Yet it sounds like a big BAD idea to me.  Are Hollywood execs really so desperate to get their hands in the honeypot of theatre??

Welcome, DRSanjosegirl!  Our opinions, and sometimes our tongues, are sharp, but there's not a bad soul on this board.  Enjoy the madness and know we  care.

DRStuart, re the Duchess becoming the Queen:  we currently have the anus horribilis as our leader.

And I forgot to mention a musicalization of SHREK!  I remember when children came to New York with their families and saw musicals geared to intelligent theatre goers, and now Broadway's turning into a bad theme park.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 02:12:17 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2004, 02:15:11 PM »

DRStuart, re the Duchess becoming the Queen:  we currently have the anus horribilis as our leader.

ROTFLMAO!!
;D ;D

George

« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2004, 02:15:44 PM »

And Welcome, D.R. (Dear Reader) KS (sanjosegirl)!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 02:16:03 PM by George »

Tomovoz

« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2004, 02:48:50 PM »

An OZ welcome to SanJoseGirl.

Too true DR Elmore - a family of caring souls here.

ShreK!!! No No No.  I"m still trying to recover from the "The Lion King" - emotionless theatre. It made "B & the B" look like a classic.

Still we have "Eureka - The Musical" here in Melbourne.  The colonies attempt at a "Les Mis".

Then I lived though "The Beautiful Game' and half of "Woman in White"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2004, 03:04:06 PM »

Still we have "Eureka - The Musical" here in Melbourne.  The colonies attempt at a "Les Mis".

DRTomovoz, what is "Eureka?"  Someone should do a musical on THE PLAYMAKER, about the first theatrical presentation in Australia.  The novel is far superior to the current play adaptation, OUR COUNTRY'S GOOD.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2004, 03:08:42 PM »

DR Elmore3003:  "Eureka" is the state motto of California.  It means "I have found it!"

:D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 03:13:04 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2004, 03:12:14 PM »

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2004, 03:17:12 PM »

"Eureka" was used for the name of a Gold Mine in Ballarat Victoria. The Eureka Rebellion was the birth of democracy and representative government in Australia.
(1850). It was the time of Lola Montez.

As RLP. says "I've Found It".  Was it it Archimides with "the displacment of water" who gave the cry? It's all Greek to me.

I hope the musical is recorded so that I can share its joys with the world. Of course I have not seen the musical so I am commenting from hearsay only.  It might be wonderful. !!!!!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2004, 03:28:27 PM »

Thank you for the "Greenwillow" synopsis DRElmore.  The friend who lent me the recording did not think to offer the booklet that contains the synopsis.  ::)  Thank you for enlightening me!  

I taught a physical acting workshop at school this afternoon, and it did not go well.  The kids did try (mostly "Man Who Came To Dinner" cast members and a few others), but they were embarrassed far too easily.  I suppose that I probably expected a bit too much, but I am disappointed that the few serious and dedicated actors who came didn't really give the exercises a chance.  Oh well.

To answer my most dear BK, rehearsals for "The Man Who Came To Dinner" are not going particularly well.  It's difficult to have any idea how the show might go when we're still on book, we have no set, no costumes, no wheel chair (and it is difficult to rehearse without it), and more than half the cast missing each rehearsal.  I've yet to meet the fellow playing Mr. Stanley!  That's not good.  I'm sure that the play will be fine, but I'm working very hard and at this point, little is coming of it.  It's all very frustrating.

A hearty HHW welcome to Dear Reader SanJoseGirl!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

George

« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2004, 03:29:01 PM »

In my CD player at work:  Secrets Every Smart Traveler Should Know.  I bought this several years ago and haven't listened to it since then.  I don't know why!  It's quite delightful. :D

In my VCR:  nothing.  I didn't tape (but I watched part of) last night's PBS Broadway show.  I'll get the DVD and see it all.  I also watched "The Apprentice."  I like that show.  It's real (I guess). ::)

In my DVD player:  the "Star Wars" trilogy, "Ellen" the first season, and a couple of other movies that I haven't had time to watch.  This weekend is the FIRST weekend in quite a while where I have NOTHING to do!!  I plan to veg (vedge?) in front of my TV and do nothing but watch stuff.

In my laserdisc player:  "Bells Are Ringing," "The Kids from FAME:  Live in Concert at the Royal Albert Hall" (I've got the album!...an Oh, Brother! reference) and "A Life in the Theater" with Jack Lemmon and Matthew Broderick.  I bought these in Seattle this past weekend and I want to watch them all!  I also have the laserdisc to "Sarafina" with Whoopie Goldberg.  I said that I'd tape it for someone that I know, so that's in the hopper, as well.

Jennifer

« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2004, 03:45:17 PM »

Quote from: Jennifer on Today at 02:00:51pm
Thanks DR Elmore and BK.

I have no idea how often this term is used now.  The first time I heard it was yesterday when someone told me their musical was having one today.  Only problem is I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK IT MEANT.

DRJennifer, maybe they didn't know the meaning either.

I'm pretty sure they did.  From what you described, I'm quite certain that is what they meant!

Jennifer

« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2004, 03:52:50 PM »

Re: making Shrek into a musical.

Well I haven't seen Shrek 1, but I did sit through Shrek 2 with a bunch of kids.  And I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it.

I have hope for Shrek the musical.  If it's done right, I think it could be wonderful.  There aren't that many shows that kids can be taken to see.  Plus they all love Shrek.

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2004, 03:57:44 PM »

Re: last night's Apprentice.

Is anyone else slightly annoyed with Trump's firings this season?  He is all over the place.  So far I don't think he's fired one person who has FAILED AT THE TASK AT HAND.  I don't get it.

He gets irritated by people, and then fires them even when they are not responsible for losing.

He gets mad at Bradford one week for giving up his exemption.  The guy was brilliant at his task, and others might have been impressed with his confidence. But not Trump.

Then he blames Pamela for not delegating the pricing.  Then the next week, he blames the guy John FOR delegating the pricing.

Then this week he decides that Stacy talks too much and didn't sell her idea.  She had a great idea (taking polaroids of the dogs dressed up in outfits).  Wes (the leader) was too pig-headed to listen.  And it's her fault???

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2004, 04:02:29 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL ON THIS WONDERFUL BOARD!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2004, 04:02:37 PM »

Then this week he decides that Stacy talks too much and didn't sell her idea.  She had a great idea (taking polaroids of the dogs dressed up in outfits).  Wes (the leader) was too pig-headed to listen.  And it's her fault???

DRJennifer, I thought Stacey should have been fired as soon as Stacey J went.  Stacey has been a whiner since the first week, and I got nothing but negative energy off her.  Stacey J, the black woman, seemed to me to feel superior to and hostile at all the other ladies.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2004, 04:03:22 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL ON THIS WONDERFUL BOARD!

Nurse Jane, where have you been all day?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2004, 04:04:03 PM »

I am having a super busy day and must be brief.

May Annette have a good day. :D

Panni, good vibes getting everything done before your trip.

Jenny maybe it is best you don’t know much about your competition. ;D
Good "The Man Who Came To Dinner" vibes.

WELCOME SANJOSE GIRL!!  Nice to meet you too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2004, 04:07:48 PM »

A big welcome to the delightful new dear reader KS (sanjosegirl).  She was at Triage when I did the horrid Tricks of the Trade show and the whatever-it-was Cowboy U.  Needless to say, they are lesser for us not being there or, since we are musical theater mavens, they are loesser for us not being there.  KS has done musicals so she should fit right in here in our lunatic asylum.  As to Shrek - it rhymes with dreck.

Dearest dear reader Jenny: Keep your spirits high and keep working hard.  All you can do is what you can do and do it the best you can.  If others don't have your focus or desire that is their problem and you mustn't let it ruin the experience for you.  Of course, you have to play off who you have to play off, but just be strong and I'm sure you will be delightful.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2004, 04:08:13 PM »

Welcome SanJoseGirl, another SF Bay Area person here at HHW, I think we're up to 3 now!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2004, 04:13:40 PM »

There aren't that many shows that kids can be taken to see.  Plus they all love Shrek.

Well, in the good old days, if I were coming to New York with my parents, I'd have wanted to see, between 1956 and 1964, these shows, not a "kids" show at all:
CANDIDE
MY FAIR LADY
LI'L ABNER
BELLS ARE RINGING
FLOWER DRUM SONG
THE MUSIC MAN
THE SOUND OF MUSIC
CARNIVAL
BYE BYE BIRDIE
CAMELOT
HELLO DOLLY
BAKER STREET
SHE LOVES ME
FIORELLO
OLIVER!
FUNNY GIRL
GYPSY (I saw the film in high school)

The shows I was probably too young to see might include these (even though today I'd kill to have seen them):
THREEPENNY OPERA
IRMA LA DOUCE
A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM(?)

These Disney adaptations of cartoons are an insult to how great Broadway once was, and I fear SHREK may one more example of the dumbing down of Broadway.  Looking at PBS in 1977 and today, it's a definite dumbing down because the people running it are Gen-Xers who think classical music is that crap Sarah Brightman sings when she's not torturing an aria.

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2004, 04:41:56 PM »

Well said DR Elmore.

When Iwas a youngster my theatrical experiences were "Kismet" and "The Pyjama (whoops Pajama) Game". I fell in love with musical theare then. I didn't need cartoons on stage. We also were lucky to have the British pantomime tradition alive and well in those days: - always written on a few levels so that children of various ages and adults too could enjoy the fun.

If you look at what is playing in the West End these days, it is not only Broadway that has dumbed down: Queen, Rod Stewart, Abba and Presley songs tailored into musicals.  Very sad.

At least "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "Mary Poppins" were written well enough to be adapted for the stage for the enjoyment of adults and children. "Chitty Chitty" borrows from the pantomime tradition of audience involvement - the Childcatcher is a delightful villain who is booed by the punters.

Now what was the point I was trying to make?
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2004, 04:45:26 PM »

Re: last night's Apprentice.

Is anyone else slightly annoyed with Trump's firings this season?  He is all over the place.  

Should I tell you my opinion?
No?
I'll tell it anyway! :D

They should FIRE Trump!
I'm so glad we don't have that crap yet here in France... besides... I don't have a Tv set! Good grief!

A "show" where people get fired... fires me up... and is not my style of entertainment!
Like DR Jane.... I like things to be positive! ;D

So, I say FIRE TRUMP!
And I'm sick of seeing pics of his exwife -- and her gigolo boyfriends -- attending some jet set thing on mags here! She must be living in Monte Carlo, I believe!
Can't she go back to the US!

We have our share of old bimbos here! Thank you very much!
FIRE Ivana TRUMP!

"There Wont Be Trumpets!".........
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 04:47:29 PM by François de Paris »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2004, 04:56:42 PM »

Kids don't have to be taken to "kids" shows to be introduced to musical theater at an early age, nor should they be.

I took my VERY young daughter to see Hello, Dolly!, A Chorus Line, Annie (not exactly a kid's show in its original incarnation), Dreamgirls, Pippin (her favorite), and many others, and she loved every one of them.  It was thrilling for her.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2004, 04:57:42 PM »

The part of the six-hour PBS show on Broadway Musicals that was the least interesting and most revealing was the last hour where they got into the Lloyd Webber-Disneyification of Broadway. After having listen to the delicious songs of Rodgers and Hart and Hammerstein and Porter and Berlin and Loesser and Kern culminating with Sondheim, the decline of the Broadway musical from sophisticated and smart and even dangerous and deep into safe, shallow, mediocre, middle-brow pap was never more apparent.

Elmore, I have pretty much stopped contributing PBS because of 1) they run commercials without calling them commercials anymore, and 2) the fare has gotten be pretty abysmal.  And even when they do have something remarkable, they usually save it for pledge week where it's continually broken up and you end up seeing a two-piece in three hours.

SHREK & SHREK II were fine, funny movies.  But they're cartoons.  They're movies.  They don't belong on Broadway.  I'm so bored with Broadway cannibalizing movies...SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER?  FOOTLOOSE?  I liked them as movies well enough.  I don't want to see them on the Broadway stage.

But Broadway has fallen victim to the corporate mindset and profit margin...just like everything else.  People may have hated Merrick, but at least he was a showman.  Not a corporate suit.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2004, 05:03:32 PM »

I don't remember what grade it was, but I remember a school outing to see OLIVER.  It was mesmerizing!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up