Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: NOVEMBER, WE HARDLY KNEW YE  (Read 32379 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NOVEMBER, WE HARDLY KNEW YE
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2004, 11:28:11 AM »

Here is the hainsies/kimlets assignment for the day.  There's going to be a giveaway contest for Writer's Block.  We have to come up with a quiz for it - so, I want the quiz to be things that would concern the musicals of 1969.  Obviously, no one who contributes to the quiz will be able to enter the contest.  So, come up with excellent brain teasers - there were lots of flops that year, all of which are mentioned in the book, so that's good.   Make each question simple to understand and so that the answer can be short and to the point.  In other words, not like my Unseemly Trivia questions.  An example, although this is too simple: What star of what hit musical running in 1969 would go on to star in a hit television series which spawned many spinoffs?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2004, 11:28:26 AM »

Yup DtM - the Leroy Anderson site was great!  I have his CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG LP (LA and his singers) and I still love to listen to it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2004, 11:30:28 AM »

"Wipeout!"

How could I have forgotten "Wipeout" and "Tequila"?  I also thought of another Christmas film I love:  THE REF.  It always reminds me of the Christmas my brother and sister-in-law were late and my insane mother chased them into the yard throwing their gifts at them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2004, 11:31:12 AM »

e-mail your questions and answers to me at haineshisway@aol.com

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2004, 11:32:21 AM »

~~~~~!!!GOOD VIBES TO ECHO!!!~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2004, 11:32:29 AM »

Oh no, DR ElMore.  It's the old one about the doctor who stopped by the bar every day after work for a daquiri with a cherry in it.  One evening the bartender ran out of cherries, so he put in a nut.  "What's this," asks the doctor.  "A hickory daquiri, Doc," quoth the barkeep.

Speaking of old chestnuts, I love that joke, but perhaps DRPanni's hat is a Hickory Dickory toque.  I don't know what the hell a toque is.  A cloche, yes.  It tells time.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2004, 11:34:41 AM »

DR Panni - Congrats on the champagne truffles!  Congrats on the new gig!

-Something for now... something for later!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2004, 11:38:01 AM »

Speaking of old chestnuts, I love that joke, but perhaps DRPanni's hat is a Hickory Dickory toque.  I don't know what the hell a toque is.  A cloche, yes.  It tells time.

Why a toque is that fancy-schmancy term a la Francaise for a chef's hat.  You know, the big white ones with the "fluff" at the top.

;)

Actually, some "Top Ten" restaurant lists, sometimes use the phrase "Top Toques" since they're praising the cooking of the chef, rather than the restaurant per se.

-Did that make sense?  I'm no sure...
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2004, 11:41:36 AM »

IT'S

PAGE

( 4 )

[size=9] TA DA![/size][/shadow]  
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2004, 11:42:57 AM »

Why a toque is that fancy-schmancy term a la Francaise for a chef's hat.  You know, the big white ones with the "fluff" at the top.  ;)

And then if you change the spelling, it has an entirely different meaning, such as in the sentence, "Care to par-toke?" ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2004, 11:48:58 AM »

DR ELMORE obviously tocque is what a cloche says....

tick tocque, tick tocque.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2004, 11:49:41 AM »

Was it a Swedish tocque, or an Hungarian tocque?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2004, 11:52:43 AM »

What kinds of food would I use the oven thermometer for?  I've never used one.  And like I said, I rarely cook roasts.
An oven thermometer is good for checking the temp of all sorts of meats, and not just in the oven.  If you're unsure about a piece of chicken, for example, all you have to do is stick the probe into the bird and you'll get it's temperature.  I used one just a few days ago, when I was cooking that ham in water.  I didn't want the water to be boiling, just simmering, so I hung the thermometer so that the probe was in the water (but not in the ham) and could regulate the temperature that way.

Then again, there's also a device known as an oven thermometer, which is used to measure the temperature inside the oven itself.  This is handy if you have an older oven, since the heating elements get less reliable as ovens age.  The thermometer is set in the oven, on one of the racks, and you get the reading of the inside temperature.  Handy gadget.

I suggest going to your local kitchen supply store, and asking about what they have.  You'll get much more reliable results when you do.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2004, 12:01:17 PM »

DR Jose asked many questions about my pork roast. I will try to answer.I cooked it at 350F.  And yes I had a marinade and kept taking it out to baste it.  Also (and I'm not sure if this was a factor), but the person I was cooking it for was late.  So I took the roast out of the oven completely for like 25 minutes in the middle.  Is that very bad?

It was a regular roasting pot (not high edges) and sitting on a metal roasting rack.

Yes, I did take it out of the fridge first, but only for like 20 minutes.

Yes, it was underdone as in raw near the bone.  And I don't have an oven thermometer.  Is that something I need?

Thanks for your help.  I rarely cook roasts.  So I figured 1 1/2 hours seemed like plenty of time! :(

350 is always a good, safe temp for roasting.

As for basting, it's usually best not to baste until a good 30-40 minutes into the cooking time.  You have to make sure that the outside of the meat has cooked/sealed.  -Which is part of the reasoning behind starting the roast at a higher temp inititially, and then going "low and slow" after that.  I know it was "fashionable" to baste meat every 10-15 minutes, but all that does is prevent the piece of meat and the oven from maintaining a constant temperature.  It usually takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes for an oven to come back up to temp after the over door has been opened, so...  If you feel you must baste, do it as quick as possible.

I would have left the roast in the oven.  Taking it out of the oven most likely had some effect on the cooking time and doneness.  Additionally, that could have been dangerous since it would have allowed the roast to sit at an unsafe temperature which could have made the roast a breeding ground for some not so nice things.  -Did you cover it the roast with foil when you took it out to keep the heat in?

The time out of the fridge was good.

An instant-read thermometer is a worthwhile and relatively cheap investment.  There are "analog" ones as well as some fancy and very fancy digital and electronic models.  Or, if you're feeling really ambitious, you could get one of those laser-type ones that are used to check oven temps.  The basic "pen-type" should be fine, and they usually run around $10.00.  There are a few models out there, and look for one with a dial that will be easiest for you to read.  They are also very easy to recalibrate should they get out of whack with a turn of the "nut" on the back of the dial with a wrench.

Just keep in mind that a meat thermometer and an instant-read thermometer are two different creatures.  Most meat thermometers are meant to be inserted into the meat for a time while the meat cooks.  Instant read thermometers are just that, instant read.  Stick the probe in, wait a few seconds, check the temp, take it out.

You can use an instant read thermometer to check the doneness of beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, etc.  It also work for checking loaves of bread if your "tap" sense has not been fully finessed.  And if you're making a custard or some other egg-based sauces, it's a good way of checking to make sure you've brought the eggs up to a "cooked" temp.

...But a meat thermometer will only run you a few bucks more.

As for being raw near the bone... That's a normal "problem".  Sometimes it means the piece of meat was not fully defrosted before being put in the oven - was it frozen before?  And sometimes it means that the meat should have stayed in the oven a bit longer.  Did you roast your roast bone-down?  For pork loin roasts, a rack isn't always necessary since the roast can rest on it's own "chine bone" and serve as it's own rack.  This way the heat from the pan goes directly into the bone, helping to cook the roast from the direction.

Next topic... Braising!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2004, 12:02:08 PM »

Out of Limits by the MarKetts

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2004, 12:02:46 PM »

DR ELMORE obviously tocque is what a cloche says....

tick tocque, tick tocque.

Perhaps it's tique toque?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2004, 12:08:45 PM »

Oh, and a few more words about basting...

I can't remember which cookbook/treatise I read a few years ago, but the author pointed out the obvious: The only thing basting really does is to continue seasoning the outside of the meat, chicken, etc.  It will help add some color and flavor to the "crust", but it won't really help season the inside of the meat.  Ideally, by the time you start basting, the outside is cooked and sealed enough so that the juices inside the meat stay inside the meat.

And looking at some "recent" recipes for roasts and poultry, I don't think I've seen any directions to "baste" lately.  Usually, the marinade, rub, oil, pieces of bacon(!), etc. will help keep the meat moist.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2004, 12:09:26 PM »

Working in retail for many years (I try to forget) I found that if a clerk is rude, simply telling the clerk that he or she is acting rude will quickly remedy the situation...and cause great embarrassment for said clerk...I have seen it happen! (not to me, fortunately). When the customer is rude back it quite often compounds the situation and makes the clerk feel as though they were right in being rude.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Sadly, this doesn't work in reverse.  A clerk is never allowed to tell the customer that he/she is being rude.  A customer is ALWAYS allowed to be rude, and some view it as being their perogative.

Kicking the customer in the shins is not approved behavior, either.  Darn them, darm them all to heck.  (Swearing is also on the no-no list.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2004, 12:12:59 PM »

This morning we had snow which made Echo very happy.  Not too much she couldn’t walk in it, just the right amount.  It is melting now which is fine with me as long as we don’t have ice in its place.

Matt H staying healthy vibes to you and your cast.

td great page six dance last night.

TCB-great pic of you as Scrooge.  I wish I could see you perform in person.

Jennifer

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2004, 12:14:34 PM »

Thanks DRs SWW And Jose.

Wow, DR Jose, I need to read what you wrote again, but thanks.

The meat was not frozen beforehand.  And no I didn't cover it with foil while it was out of the oven.  Although it was only out for about 20-25 minutes.

And I'm not 100% sure if the bone was down.  It may have rotated when I basted.

Okay, so question.  What would you have done if you had started cooking a roast and then 3/4 through you find out that the person coming to eat it will be delayed by 1/2 hour.

Would you just cook it for the 1 1/2 hours, and then check it, and then turn the oven on "warm"?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 12:17:46 PM by Jennifer »

Jane

« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2004, 12:14:57 PM »

And continuing in my chocolate induced monologue... I received good news today. I got my next writing gig. And a good one it is, too.

CONGRATULATIONS!!  :D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2004, 12:17:01 PM »

I don't know what the hell a toque is.  A cloche, yes.  It tells time.

You're obviously not a Canadian, eh?
If you visit http://www.thetoque.com/
...you'll find photos of toques, as well as Canadian humor (YES! There is such a thing!)

Jennifer

« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2004, 12:19:27 PM »

DR Jose, that is interesting about basting.  The recipe I was sort of following (and is new) mentioned basting often.  So that's why I did it!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2004, 12:19:32 PM »

Is one of those plane ticket websites better than the others?  It's for a domestic round trip, no hotel.
You can afford a domestic?  You're better off than I thought!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2004, 12:20:58 PM »

Silly me!  I forgot one of my favorite instrumentalists, whose first record was a big enough hit (even without airplay) during my college days:

Tubular Bells, by Mike Oldfield.

Jennifer

« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2004, 12:23:09 PM »

DR Panni, will you tell us what this new gig is?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2004, 12:24:19 PM »

Shopping help:
What do I need to know about buying an Ipod?  Yes, the intended recipient has an Apple computer.

Is one of those plane ticket websites better than the others?  It's for a domestic round trip, no hotel.

DR Noel-

All you need to know about an iPod is how much money you want to spend.  The more storage/song space on the iPod, the more expensive it is.  Apple also just came out with a mini-iPod - smaller profile, some additional color choices.

You're best option may be to get one of the mid-level models and then includes some extra goodies with it: some iTunes gift certificates, a set of the really cool looking earphones, the external-attachable microphone (very handy for rehearsals!), etc.  Just spend some time with the salesman at your local Mac Store.  I'm pretty sure they'll be more than happy to help you out.

Or just check out:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

*Luckily (?), since it's Apple/Mac, there's no real price competition to worry about, although some resellers have specials where they offer some extras, but the base price set by Apple is the price you'll find it... everywhere.

Mid-afternoon update:  After checking the Apple Store site, it seems that Apple has "upgraded" their iPods, and there are now only three models - and three price points - available now.  iPod mini; iPod 20G; iPod 40G - G=Gigabyte.  Oh, there is the Limited U2 Special Edition which comes preloaded with all the songs of U2 on it, but something tells me that might not be what you're looking for.

As for plane ticket sites... I usually consult Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. initially to get an idea of which airlines have the best deals.  Then I go to each individual airline's site and purchase the ticket there.  I've always gotten "the best" price that way.  In fact, most airline sites guarantee that you'll find the best price on their website.  Yes, some consolidators may have better prices, but sometimes those savings are only a few dollars.  -And be sure to register for each airlines freqent flyer program.  You may end up getting a better deal that way too.

-This process may take a couple of extra minutes, but it's worth it in the long run.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 01:00:40 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2004, 12:24:38 PM »

And for those of you who have absolutely no interest in humongous prehistoric sharks, here is another one of him in Hair.
That is the least hairly Hair picture I've seen in a long time!   ::)

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2004, 12:25:12 PM »

"Swedish Rhapsody" - Mantavani
"No Matter What Shape Your Stomache's In" -T-Bones
"Apache" - The Shadows
"Rebel Rouser" Duane Eddy.
"Baby Elephant Walk" Lawrence Welk
"Telstar" - The Tornados
"Washington Square" - The Village Stompers
"(Ghost) Riders in the Sky" - the Ramrods
"Take Five" - Dave Brubeck
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2004, 12:26:33 PM »

Dan (the Man) I like those Dynamic vibes.  Thanks.

td and Minx Echo and I appreciate the healthy dog vibes.

Magnus and Fosca, Echo says thank you.

MBarnum my wonderful beautiful Echo received every single one of your kisses.

TCB the power of this website is working.  Today was better than yesterday and lately we take one day at a time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up