Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: NOVEMBER, WE HARDLY KNEW YE  (Read 32089 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:NOVEMBER, WE HARDLY KNEW YE
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2004, 12:31:30 PM »

der Brucer (whose dorm room was regularly filled with Martin Denny - the music, not the person, and Maynard Ferguson - ditto)
Maynard Ferguson?  Der B, we need to have a talk....
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2004, 12:33:42 PM »

DR Jose, that is interesting about basting.  The recipe I was sort of following (and is new) mentioned basting often.  So that's why I did it!

Then baste away!

Again, basting is not a bad thing.  It just can get in the way sometimes, so to speak.  Like I mentioned before, just make sure to do it as quickly as possible so you don't let so much heat out of the oven.  I used to be very anal about basting - I had to make sure I drizzled or spooned the fat and pan juices over the entire surface of what I was cooking.  Five minutes later after having the oven door open all the time...  Not good.  It's better to take the roast out of the oven, set it on the counter, close the over door, baste, then reverse.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2004, 12:34:19 PM »

Page Five Dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Have a Nagilla
Have two Nagillas
Have three Nagillas
They're plenty small
[size=20]HEY![/size]
[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2004, 12:36:57 PM »

Working in retail for many years (I try to forget) I found that if a clerk is rude, simply telling the clerk that he or she is acting rude will quickly remedy the situation...and cause great embarrassment for said clerk...I have seen it happen! (not to me, fortunately). When the customer is rude back it quite often compounds the situation and makes the clerk feel as though they were right in being rude.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I like the challenge of winning said rude clerk over until they are nice, not that I always have the patience to do so.   When I get angry I just feel bad later so it doesn't do me any good.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2004, 12:40:53 PM »

Page Five Dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Have a Nagilla
Have two Nagillas
Have three Nagillas
They're plenty small
[size=20]HEY![/size]
[/move]

I have a nargila.  It was a gift from a friend in the pychedelic sixties.  Trouble is, the bowl is too damn big to be practical.  'spretty though.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2004, 12:43:06 PM »

Bruce thank you.  We need to remember Echo enjoys drives in our motor car.

Thank you Abie for those vibes and cheerful little dogs.

DRLaura thank you too.

George those vibes are very pretty.

elmore how sweet, a candle for my little girl.

LOL- Marty, Mikey, Bonnie, Buster, Fletcher, Zeus and SWW, a big thank you.

Stuart Echo says thank you.

Emily

« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2004, 12:47:05 PM »

Oh and Elmore never make the mistake of pronouncing "toque" as "tock"... it really should be "t-ew-k"
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2004, 12:53:09 PM »

Jennifer I’m sorry DESPARATE HOUSEWIVES just looks so trashy to me.  I don’t care for those kinds of shows.  I guess I don’t watch it by principle, same goes for the reality shows even if one of them supports my cousin.  And thanks for the doggie vibes.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2004, 12:54:25 PM »

The meat was not frozen beforehand.  And no I didn't cover it with foil while it was out of the oven.  Although it was only out for about 20-25 minutes.
Covering is will the better option, as it will keep the meat from losing it's heat.  Normally, a roast is only left to rest for fifteen minutes, which lets the internal temp equalize.  After that, it's all lost energy, which just has to be regained.

Okay, so question.  What would you have done if you had started cooking a roast and then 3/4 through you find out that the person coming to eat it will be delayed by 1/2 hour.

Would you just cook it for the 1 1/2 hours, and then check it, and then turn the oven on "warm"?
Cooking and keeping warm would have been the better idea.  Best, of course, is to have a shotgun handy, so that your guests get the message.   :o

Jane

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2004, 01:00:09 PM »

You're obviously not a Canadian, eh?
If you visit http://www.thetoque.com/
...you'll find photos of toques, as well as Canadian humor (YES! There is such a thing!)

Panni was the photo of the toque on the t-shirt?  

I’m sorry you fell on black ice, something I never heard about until I moved to the east coast.  What native Southern Californian ever says black ice?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2004, 01:01:05 PM »

Thanks for the good health wishes, DR Jane. We could ALL use them.

Amazing that I forgot any of Leroy Anderson's symphonic pieces because I adore them. My favorites are "Sarabande" and "Belle of the Ball." "Sleigh Ride" is also a must for this time of year.

Another instrumental I enjoyed as a young teen was "Telstar" by the Ventures.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2004, 01:02:17 PM »

WFO that is pretty much what Echo sounds like, even if she was named for the Echo in Greek mythology and not for an echo.  I guess it amounts to the same thing.   ;D

I’m impressed with your page 2 & 3 dances, and your patience in making said dances.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2004, 01:03:00 PM »

I had hoped to get some of the Kelsey Grammer CHRISTMAS CAROL watched today, but gave in to the FRIENDS temptation (I'm eager to go ahead and finish the Season 8 boxed set, and I have two more episodes left.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2004, 01:05:30 PM »

Black ice can be deadly!

Indeed DRELMORE - ticque tocque it is!

What is the difference between "prerogative" and "perogative"?  Is there a difference.  Are they both words?  I ask because I cannot find "per" in my dictionary, but "pre" is there.  Have I been wrong all my life?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2004, 01:07:19 PM »

Jennifer I’m sorry DESPARATE HOUSEWIVES just looks so trashy to me.  I don’t care for those kinds of shows.  I guess I don’t watch it by principle, same goes for the reality shows even if one of them supports my cousin.  And thanks for the doggie vibes.

Trashy?  Of course it is!  That's why I love it!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2004, 01:07:36 PM »

Yup MATTH - "Telstar" - I remember when this communications satellite was launched, the first ever.  I did not understand  how it work or how it could send signals that I could use.  Oh if only I had had the internet when I was growing up.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2004, 01:09:07 PM »

Emily Echo likes cats have grown up with four of her own.  Thank you.

JRand, thanks.

Blackjack, roller and Jay, dear dog Echo and I appreciate your good vibes.

Jose, thank you.

Wow, all these wonderful good vibes.  Echo is lying next to me waiting for Keith to return home and take her outside since it is too cold for me with my wet hair.  He will also bring her new foods from the market to tempt her appetite.  So far the turkey dogs are her favorite.  I’m becoming an expert on microwaving them. ;D

Jane

« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2004, 01:09:55 PM »

elmore-LOL I thought of your response when I was typing trashy.

Jane

« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2004, 01:11:15 PM »

Noel good luck on Sunday.

Matt H I can see why the mustache had to go-cute pic.

DERBRUCER, the album cover is very pretty.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2004, 01:11:40 PM »

I’m sorry you fell on black ice, something I never heard about until I moved to the east coast.  What native Southern Californian ever says black ice?

But don't you remember that episode of CHIPS were Ponch was investigating a freak, multi-car accident?  After checking out all the possibibilities, they just couldn't explain why the car veered off the road.  But then when they realized what time of day the accident occured, and where it occured... And then, thankfully, they took into account - at the last moment! - that the sun was rising at a different time then when the accident occured, they were able to reconstruct the accident properly... Which allowed them to determine that the culprit was black ice and not driver error?  It was an accident plain and simple.  Most importantly, they prevented an innocent man from going to jail.

...Well, I remembered it..

:-\

Hmmm...

???

Maybe it's time for me to go for my walk...

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2004, 01:12:58 PM »

MBarnum I always enjoyed the Baby Elephant Walk.
STAR WARS
THE STING-I loved dancing to this.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2004, 01:18:56 PM »

Black ice can be deadly!

Indeed DRELMORE - ticque tocque it is!

What is the difference between "prerogative" and "perogative"?  Is there a difference.  Are they both words?  I ask because I cannot find "per" in my dictionary, but "pre" is there.  Have I been wrong all my life?

Well, I have some bad news for you.. It's always been "prerogative" even though it's pronounced like "perogative" most of the time.

It's just like "alright" is "all wrong".  It should be "all right".  Although, the kidz today use "aaight" or "aait".

Words, words, words....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2004, 01:20:19 PM »

Has anybody mastered the technique of Finding The Missing Socks when doing laundry?

I know the missing socks must just get "attached" to other pieces of clothing.  But when doing my last wash, I came up with 3 socks at the end, none of which matched.  :(

Jane

« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2004, 01:21:06 PM »

Jose-CHIPS?  ROTFLOL!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2004, 01:21:30 PM »

Tique-Toque?????

Isn't that the name of L’Armèe Royale d'Oz?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2004, 01:23:26 PM »

"PRE-rogative" is the correct spelling of the word, but "per-rogative" is the common pronunciation of the word.  Like pronouncing FEB-ROO-ary as opposed to FEB-YOU-ary...noo-clee-yer vs. nuke-you-ler. ::)  It's all personal preference.  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 01:24:10 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2004, 01:24:24 PM »

Tique-Toque?????

Isn't that the name of L’Armèe Royale d'Oz?

Vraiment!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2004, 01:25:02 PM »

"PRE-rogative" is the correct spelling of the word, but "per-rogative" is the common pronunciation of the word.  Like pronouncing FEB-ROO-ary as opposed to FEB-YOU-ary...noo-clee-yer vs. nuke-you-ler. ::)  It's all personal preference.  

If you axe me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2004, 01:30:09 PM »

Silly me!  I forgot one of my favorite instrumentalists, whose first record was a big enough hit (even without airplay) during my college days:

Tubular Bells, by Mike Oldfield.

When Steve and I went to Disneyworld a few years ago, there was this band that was playing in Epcot, and the main instrument was a carillon!  The first mobile carillon in the world.   Amazing sound!  And, of course, one of the tunes they played was "Tubular Bells".

Here's their website:

Cast In Bronze
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 01:33:56 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2004, 01:31:06 PM »

DR Jose, yeah, I always close the oven while basting.

DR Jane, I don't think you should lump all shows of a certain kind together.  For instance The Amazing Race is not typical reality tv.

As for Desperate Housewives, I don't find it trashy at all.  And I actually don't find it that similar to most of the night-time soaps of the past.  It's very funny, witty and charming.  I suppose it might be hard to figure things out if you were to tune in now.  But it never hurts to at least watch something once to be sure it's not your cup of tea.

Btw, I got this email today for merchandise for DH and LOST: http://www.abc.com/email/abcstore/holiday04
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up