Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DENSE NOTES  (Read 24970 times)

Michael

Re:THE DENSE NOTES
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2004, 07:14:31 PM »

We should all go to the amazon site and vote no that the review was not helpful
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2004, 07:29:25 PM »

Panni, if someone chose to assasinate my character in a forum such as Amazon book reviews section, I'd have the right to decide to sue him/her (and Amazon, I suppose...though I wouldn't win that, I expect) for slander or libel or whatever it would be.

But you know what, I get trashed worse than this on certain screenplay sites all the time.  I merely consider the source, as do the other readers.

Amazon cannot possibly ride herd on the unwieldy mess  of millions of daily reviews.  And, if people did start suing them over opinion pieces (which is what these are), it would merely shut down the whole section so that they need not deal with it at all and open themselves up to such time-wasting crap and expectations.  

Personally, if I'm trying to sell books, I wouldn't open a review section up anyway...Why allow people to slam the product you're trying to sell?  I'd do like every movie and Broadway show producer does...just slug the book's page with positive review excerpts or blurbs.

But, quite frankly, it's no easy thing to prove either libel or slander, I doubt BK could win a case given what is posted there.  I doubt he'd want to wast money trying.

If Bruce spoke to someone at Amazon as the author, requesting the review be removed, I don't know whether that would carry any weight or not.  But I think he is responding in exactly the way he should.  If an ant gets in your way, either ignore it or step on it. But don't wring your hands over it.  Besides, he apparently has enough people on this site to seethe with umbrage over this nothing person for him. All you who get outraged play into her hands and give the attention she wants...which is what this is really about.  So why should BK lose sleep over something and someone so utterly inconsequential?  How many people do you think actually visit an individual book page like this?  It's not like it's a review in the New York Times book section.  

I've never, never decided to buy a book because of the reviews I've read on Amazon.  That's what I want to do...take the opinion of an anonymous amateur reviewer I know nothing about.  That's making an informed decision.

I don't think any reasonable, book-buying, literate person thinks because these go out under the banner of Amazon or Barnes and Noble, they have any real legitimacy as a serious review.  How could they? Some sound like they would have been written in crayon, if they weren't posting on the internet.

You can't protect people from stupidity, ignorance, or verbal vehemence.  And I'm tired of this nanny state where everyone wants to play victim and claim that someone else should be protecting them, looking out for them, and overseeing that nothing offends them.  What a bunch of cry-babies we've become.  Read the front page of the newspaper; there's real stuff to get outraged over.

If someone has crossed the line into slander or libel,  there are recourses for such thing.  Other than that, it's sorry little loser trying to get somebody to notice them and any intelligent person will realize that and give it the weight its due.  

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2004, 07:29:36 PM »

Hisaka, I'll have to show you a picture of my prize (since I haven't killed it--yet) Michael Crawford Rose.  It's my pride and joy.  It also has a very nice odor to it.

DR DANISE: Look forward to seeing the picture. I've never seen any roses having male name. It's interesting.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2004, 07:37:47 PM »

DR elmore, your story about your piano skills diminishing certainly hit a chord with me. (no pun intended)

I was at one time a pretty fair pianist. Played just about every night for entertainment and to learn new pieces. Then, the personal computer came into my life, and almost overnight, I stopped playing. Now, I can pick out notes in a score of a show I'm rehearsing, but as for actually sitting down and playing entire pieces, I'm afraid those days are over now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 07:39:33 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2004, 07:41:38 PM »

Sad to say, the shrink wrap didn't come off of THE SNAKE PIT today. Instead, I caught up with some things I had recorded on the DVR for the past few days. And I have a dinner party to go to tomorrow night (with gift exchange), so I probably won't get it watched tomorrow, either.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2004, 07:43:12 PM »

DR CP - your points are well taken, but you are coming dangerously close to hurting the feelings of we illiterate, inconsequential, yahoos who actually do spend some time working on our reviews posted on Amazon and other internet sites.

And although you are also correct in that what the referenced review wanted to accomplish - namely a discussion here - was something that we gave in to - as a writer of a review of the same book, I thought I should comment on it.  NOT AT AMAZON, no....but here the home of the author of the book.

No one who writes, acts, or places his name in a public forum should expect praise all the time.  But if someone kicks my friend's dog - even if the kicker is dumb - I can still tell my friend I'm sorry it happened.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2004, 07:44:29 PM »

Re:  piano.  Thankfully, though I am not doing a 7 night a week gig like I did for 9 years here on a cruiseboat, I still maintain a certain skill level.  What I've noticed is that my fingers are a lot stiffer than they used to be, which doesn't help.  I also find it very interesting that when I am forced to sightread cold, as I did this morning (and I mean cold in every sense--it was bitterly cold this morning in Portland), that I somehow circumvent my conscious brain and kind of go into automatic playing mode and I literally don't even really "think" about what my fingers are doing.

Re:  negativity.  I got some disturbing word today that I have evidently been stolen from.  Quite blatantly, by someone I trusted.  I am very sad and am wondering about various recourses.  I suppose it's best to let this kind of thing go.  You know the old adage:  harboring a grudge/wanting revenge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2004, 07:48:16 PM »

We should all go to the amazon site and vote no that the review was not helpful

Done-I was the 10th person. :)

Jane

« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2004, 07:52:03 PM »

JMK, I'm really sorry and hope you get back what was stolen.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2004, 08:07:25 PM »

Re:  negativity.  I got some disturbing word today that I have evidently been stolen from.  Quite blatantly, by someone I trusted.  I am very sad and am wondering about various recourses.  I suppose it's best to let this kind of thing go.  You know the old adage:  harboring a grudge/wanting revenge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die.

DRJMK, this is bad news, whether it's financial or a form of plagiarism, and I wish you much luck in dealing with the person you trusted.  No matter what decision you make, I do believe the thief, if you and this person have to continue some sort of social commerce, owes you one huge apology.  My rule has always been that if you kick me once, I'll forgive you.  Do it twice and rot in hell.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2004, 08:12:00 PM »

My rule has always been that if you kick me once, I'll forgive you.  Do it twice and rot in hell.

elmore you are so funny.  

Michael

« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2004, 08:17:13 PM »

Hello

If anyone has time can you go over to

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/PersonDetail/personid-14058/

I have been working on updating BK's bio page there. I need a second eye to tell me if I everything is spelled correctly and I haven't made any mistakes.

Thanks
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2004, 08:20:48 PM »

WARNING TO WEST COAST POSTERS CONTEMPLATING WATCHING THE KENNEDY AWARDS:

When Renee Fleming comes on stage, lock up the animals, hit the mute botton, and take a trip to the john (loo, not Elton)! The most excruciating painful performance of a wretchedly arranged "Over The Rainbow" has never before been heard! (No, my name is not Cora!)

But do come back for Fantasia, who is delightful, and Heather Hedley who does a blow your socks off fantastic rendition of "Your Song" - which has a brilliant arrangement (Larry, were you there?).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2004, 08:25:21 PM »

But, quite frankly, it's no easy thing to prove either libel or slander, I doubt BK could win a case given what is posted there.  I doubt he'd want to wast money trying.

If Bruce spoke to someone at Amazon as the author, requesting the review be removed, I don't know whether that would carry any weight or not.  But I think he is responding in exactly the way he should.  If an ant gets in your way, either ignore it or step on it. But don't wring your hands over it.  Besides, he apparently has enough people on this site to seethe with umbrage over this nothing person for him. All you who get outraged play into her hands and give the attention she wants...which is what this is really about.  So why should BK lose sleep over something and someone so utterly inconsequential?  How many people do you think actually visit an individual book page like this?  It's not like it's a review in the New York Times book section.  

It is not of interest or worth my time to do anything about that "review".  It is, as I said, written by a bitter negative person, and it doesn't bother me in the least.  By mentioning the two names she mentioned it narrowed down the number of people it could be to about three, maybe two.  So, maybe she wanted me to know it was her.   It's sad, but there's nothing you can do about such things.  I did enjoy the part about "excoriating" (a nice ten-dollar word) readers of this here site to post rave reviews at amazon.  I defy anyone to search through the archives of these notes and posts and show me one instance of "excoriating" (a nice ten-dollar word) anyone to write a rave review, or even a good review.  I did ask people to review it, sure, just as I ask anyone who reads my books to do, whether here on the site, or at a signing.  I always say, if you read the book, write a review on amazon.  I have no idea what it's going to be, and I'd like to presume that if someone didn't like the book they'd say so, or not write anything.

So, I do appreciate everyone's posts about this "person", but really, there's no need to give this one more thought.  People who do this sort of thing get what they deserve, in the long run.

I must now excoriate (a nice ten-dollar word) some people to do some things.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2004, 08:28:13 PM »

There are several typos, Michael - can someone proof and give Michael the fixes, please?

Jane

« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2004, 08:28:28 PM »

Michael, what is blogs?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2004, 08:32:35 PM »

DR MS

The middle credit is spelled as "Najed Space"

"Liekly Stories" is spelled that way once.

And under "DIRECTOR" it is listed as Nudie Misical

Pretty good.  Only three things I could find!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2004, 08:33:14 PM »

JRand54, I do think I said some people do write nice reviews.  But the simple thing is they're still anonymous, they're still amateur, I don't know anything (usually) about their qualifications.  I'm unlikely to judge a book by those reviews.

I wonder does Amazon have a disclaimer somewhere about the opinions expressed on the review sites?  That would protect them from liability, I expect.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2004, 08:33:29 PM »

oh, and in Doctor's Hospital  Maxium Pressure

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2004, 08:35:40 PM »

I think by submitting an opinion there, you release Amazon from any liability.  I haven't read the disclaimer in awhile.

Jane

« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2004, 08:44:33 PM »

Charles Pogue I rarely read reviews prior to reading a book.  Often it is the amateur reviews I read later I have found to be the most interesting and insightful.  Many I laugh at but there have been some real gems in there.  True, some of the writing skills are equal or less than mine, however personal experience or knowledge can often offer insight a critic misses.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: December 21, 2004, 08:49:59 PM »

The "reviews" that are the real corkers are at the imdb.  Ninety percent of those are written by the stupidest people who ever lived - illiterate in a completely mind-numbing way.  I'll say one thing for Cora, she writes decently, but then, she always did.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2004, 08:51:40 PM »

Damn, I can't find anyone to excoriate (a nice ten-dollar word).  I did find someone who said I could exfoliate them.  Perhaps whilst sitting in the Jacuzzi I'll be able to think of someone to excoriate.

Jane

« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2004, 08:53:18 PM »

I don't believe I have read the reviews at imdb, or that was the source of the truly stupid reviews I have read. ;D  I tend to google & don't always know the source.

Goodnight.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2004, 09:00:37 PM »

Good Evening!

What did I miss?  Huh?

;)

As for the "review" - I know, I know, we should stop talking about it, but...

DR Pogue - I just have to ask why your reaction/post seemed so "exuberant" - for lack of a better word right now.  Did some other DR post a very reactionary post about the "review" and then remove it?  As I was reading the posts just now, I didn't really sense any "tone" from anyone's reaction to the "review"... Except yours.

I just checked out the "review", and it gave me a nice laugh.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Whenever I read "customer reviews" on a website - which is rarely - I know that they are just that "customer reviews".  And as other DRs have indicated, when I'm in the mood to buy something, someone else's opinion doesn't ever come into play in my decision.  Heck, even "professional" reviewers can be suspect from time to time - or just have a totally different take on the subject.

Just wondering, that's all.

Curiosity killing the cat.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2004, 09:08:48 PM »

Hello

If anyone has time can you go over to

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/PersonDetail/personid-14058/

I have been working on updating BK's bio page there. I need a second eye to tell me if I everything is spelled correctly and I haven't made any mistakes.

Thanks

YOU ASKED FOR IT:

Biography:
Bruce Kimmel has had a long and varied career. He wrote, directed and starred in the cult movie hit, The First Nudie Musical. He performed those same duties on his second film The Creature Wasn't Nice (a.k.a. Naked Space), with Leslie Nielsen, Cindy Williams and Patrick Macnee. He also co-created the story for the hit film, The Faculty, directed by Robert Rodriguez.

COMMENT: In the second sentence you set off “The First Nudie Musical” with a comma;  in the thirs sentence, you do not set off  “The Creature Wasn’t Nice” with a comma. I would prefer a comma before “the Creature….”.

He has also produced many off-Broadway and Broadway cast albums, including the hit revival of The King and I, starring Lou Diamond Philips and Donna Murphy, The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas starring Ann-Margret and Bells Are Ringing starring Faith Prince.

COMMENT:

Suggest”…King and I, (not .)….in Texas,…Are Ringing,…

NOTES:

•  Bruce has his own website that he blogs every day. www.haineshisway.com Also the Bruce Kimmel tribute site www.brucekimmel.com

COMMENT:
“Blog is not a verb.  After day there should be a comma, not a period. Need a period after .com (end of sentence). Might try: “Bruce has his own website, www.haineshisway.com, on which he keeps a daily blog and maintains a dialog with his cyber friends. There is also a Bruce Kimmel tribute site, www.brucekinnel.com.”  

NEWS
Bruce has just finished his fourth novel Writer's Block. A murder mystery takes place during the new musical Bus and Truck.

COMMENT:

I would prefer: Bruce has just finished his fourth novel, Writer's Block;  a murder mystery whose plot unfolds during the development of a new musical, Bus and Truck.

CREW CREDITS
Penn and Tellers' Bullshit - Associate Producer

COMMENT: s/b Penn and Teller’s

The First Nudie Misical – Writer

COMMENT: Musical, not Misical

“More Info” is a rehash of data already presented.

Acting Appearances:

M*A*S*H - Pt. Gilbert - Cease-Fire (1973)

COMMENT: Private is abbreviated PVT, or Pvt.

Penn and Tellers' Bullshit – Doctor

COMMENT: Again, Teller’s

Co Starring Roles
Tabitha - Adam - Tabitha (1976)
Never Say Never - Paul Walter - Pilot
Tabitha - Adam
COMMENT:
Tabitha listed twice.

der "no, I am NOT Cora" Brucer

NOTE:  If I were like "some people", I would correct my idiosyncratic spelling of "third" and publicly protest my innocence - but I'm a slow learner.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 09:50:25 PM by DERBRUCER »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2004, 09:10:29 PM »

DR Jrand - I will be there for MAMMA MIA!  -If it works out.  I was just e-mailed today to check if I would possibly be available.  The tour is in going into it's fourth(!) year, and some people are looking for some vacation time, so...  We'll see.  The cool thing is that a month after that the show comes back to Richmond, then right up the road to DC for another extended stay, and it looks like I'll be playing those couple of weeks too.  -And the Indianapolis stint evens works out with JEWISH THIGHS' scheduled run, and my pending move to NYC.  It would be a true "road week" for me - salary plus per diem!

I'm hoping it does work out, but I know there are tons of variables involved.  And by mentioning the possibility on this site, I don't think I'm breaking my usual "jinxing it" rule.  It just one of those things that could work out, or could not work out.  In any case...  It was nice to get the call - or e-mail as it were.

I would love to check out Indianapolis finally!  I've spent time in Northern Indiana and in Southern Indiana, but I've never been in the middle of the state!  And I would also be able to investigate some culinary delicacies - mainly greasy spoons - that I've been hearing and reading about.  -It's always about the food!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #177 on: December 21, 2004, 09:13:42 PM »

DR MS

The middle credit is spelled as "Najed Space"

"Liekly Stories" is spelled that way once.

And under "DIRECTOR" it is listed as Nudie Misical

Pretty good.  Only three things I could find!

Well, you missed a few, but caught two I didn't - BITCH!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2004, 09:18:09 PM »

First of all, THE "WHAT IF?" DVD ARRIVED!!  My housemate is watching "Father of the Pride" so I have to wait until then to watch it, but I will!  I'm also taping "The Kennedy Center Honors."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2004, 09:18:19 PM »

And to add my coins worth, I do read the reviews at Amazon, and Epinions, and other places...quite frequently...when I need help in deciding whether to purchase a particular CD or DVD or car or camera or such.

I value other opinions, even if they are from "amateurs," and often times find them quite helpful to me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up