Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PERFECTLY COIFFED  (Read 43110 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:PERFECTLY COIFFED
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2004, 11:55:43 AM »

OK.....I will give you what I know to be the definition.  Colloquially, (and isn't all Yiddish used colloqiually?) it is often used to mean "in-laws."  However, technically, it means the following relationship:

What the parents of YOUR spouse/partner are to YOUR parents.  (example:  Dear Partner John's mother is MY mother's machateynista, or the mother of her son-in-law.  His mother, TO ME, would be my shviger, or mother-in-law.

Collectively, my folks to John's folks would be mechuten.  John's folks, to my folks, would be considered, well......goyim.  (I kid, I kid.)

Everybody got it?   ;)

GOT IT!

Thank you.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2004, 11:56:17 AM »

P.S.  George--there was *one* scratch on Side 2, during "I Would Do It Again" (the slut, LOL).  Otherwise, it sounded pretty clean as I was listening from the other room when I dubbed it.

Were the Bock/Harnick songs "I'm in London Again" and "Finding Words for Spring"?

I always thought "Letters" was a Bock & Harnick.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2004, 11:59:15 AM »

I always thought "Letters" was a Bock & Harnick.

You're probably right, because something is telling me there were 3 B&H songs in Baker Street.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2004, 12:00:53 PM »

Were the Bock/Harnick songs "I'm in London Again" and "Finding Words for Spring"?

I don't know anything about that! :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2004, 12:01:36 PM »

Happy Birthday William F Orr..

HOWEVER-Dear Bruce---you forgot the Birthday of my Son CRAIG BROCKMAN--35 Years Young Today. A Very Happy Birthday Dear Craig

A Very Happy Birthday to Arnold M. Brockman's son Craig Brockman!

And has no one else noticed that JMK has ascended to the HHW Heavens??  WELCOME!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2004, 12:02:18 PM »

Off to lunch!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2004, 12:04:09 PM »

OH! OH! OH!  (That's HO! HO! HO! backwards...well, !HO !HO !HO backwards...)

On the drive in yesterday, there was a funny little story about a particular holiday dish.  Here's the reprint from NPR.org.  You can listen to the story on the site - which literally had me LOLing.  And, I have to say, the recipe does intrigue me.

Commentary
Vanquishing 'The Frozen Thing' from the Holiday Table

All Things Considered, December 22, 2004 · There is much talk about gaining those extra five or 10 pounds around the holidays, consuming all those traditional family favorites like Christmas cookies and eggnog. In commentator Laura Lorson's family, somehow, someway, her Mom got the idea in her head that a white frozen dessert was a beloved family ritual. Thankfully, Laura set her straight at a recent Christmas dinner a couple years ago.

Lorson share's her mother's recipe for the Frozen Thing below:

The Louisville Debuntante Frozen Fruit Salad (a.k.a. The Frozen Thing)

1 6 oz. package cream cheese

1 c. mayonnaise

1 c. heavy cream, whipped

2 and 1/2 c. mini-marshmallows

1 can crushed pineapple, drained

1/2 c. green maraschino cherries

1/2 c. red maraschino cherries

iceberg lettuce leaves

Blend cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Fold in whipped heavy cream and fruit. Add in mini marshmallows. Pour mixture into a 1-quart pan. Freeze. (Word to the wise: this will take a while. Allow a couple of days.) Once frozen, remove pan from freezer and cut into squares. (Word to the wise: this will take a while. You may want to get a chisel and one of those rubber mallets.) Remove (pry) squares from pan: serve on iceberg lettuce leaves. Top with an additional red or green cherry.

Serves: unknown number. My family has never actually run out of this dish at a holiday party, so it could conceivably serve up to 80 or so people.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4241138
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2004, 12:07:33 PM »

Happy Birthday Craig.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2004, 12:08:15 PM »

...My family has never actually run out of this dish at a holiday party...

Given the list of ingredients, perhaps the creator of this recipe should wonder why.

:o
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JMK

« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2004, 12:09:52 PM »

And has no one else noticed that JMK has ascended to the HHW Heavens??  WELCOME!!
Actually, even I hadn't noticed!   :P  Well, according to some, G-d sent someone from heaven to earth around this time, so it's only fitting that HHW provide a counterweight (and believe me, I'm providing more of a counterweight than at any time in my life, LOL).

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2004, 12:10:49 PM »

Given the list of ingredients, perhaps the creator of this recipe should wonder why.

:o

Amen!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2004, 12:11:57 PM »

OH! OH! OH!  (That's HO! HO! HO! backwards...well, !HO !HO !HO backwards...)
Commentary
Vanquishing 'The Frozen Thing' from the Holiday Table

All Things Considered, December 22, 2004 · There is much talk about gaining those extra five or 10 pounds around the holidays, consuming all those traditional family favorites like Christmas cookies and eggnog. In commentator Laura Lorson's family, somehow, someway, her Mom got the idea in her head that a white frozen dessert was a beloved family ritual. Thankfully, Laura set her straight at a recent Christmas dinner a couple years ago.

Lorson share's her mother's recipe for the Frozen Thing below:

The Louisville Debuntante Frozen Fruit Salad (a.k.a. The Frozen Thing)

1 6 oz. package cream cheese

1 c. mayonnaise

1 c. heavy cream, whipped

2 and 1/2 c. mini-marshmallows

1 can crushed pineapple, drained

1/2 c. green maraschino cherries

1/2 c. red maraschino cherries

iceberg lettuce leaves

Blend cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Fold in whipped heavy cream and fruit. Add in mini marshmallows. Pour mixture into a 1-quart pan. Freeze. (Word to the wise: this will take a while. Allow a couple of days.) Once frozen, remove pan from freezer and cut into squares. (Word to the wise: this will take a while. You may want to get a chisel and one of those rubber mallets.) Remove (pry) squares from pan: serve on iceberg lettuce leaves. Top with an additional red or green cherry.

Serves: unknown number. My family has never actually run out of this dish at a holiday party, so it could conceivably serve up to 80 or so people.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4241138

DRJose, is this from the cookbook "Dishes for Your Disposal"?

MBarnum

« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2004, 12:12:29 PM »

Happy sexy sixty birthdayd WFO!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2004, 12:13:04 PM »

JMK, are you afraid to write your amazon review because you didn't like the book, or are you afraid to write your amazon review because someone will think I excoriated you to write your amazon review?

MBarnum

« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2004, 12:14:02 PM »

And a happy Birthday, also, to DA CraigBrockman!

JMK

« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2004, 12:17:55 PM »

JMK, are you afraid to write your amazon review because you didn't like the book, or are you afraid to write your amazon review because someone will think I excoriated you to write your amazon review?
Of course I liked it!  ;)  In fact, my only criticism would be you could have added 100 pages to it, providing even more backstory and character for each of your suspects--that way I could have fun reading it over two days, instead of just one.  That, and you should have me help you proof next time (I did it professionally for many a year in my early 20s).

My Amazon comment was a joke after all the tsuris here the other day.  :)

And re:  excoriating.  I'm sorry, but all it makes me think of is "The heartbreak of excoriasis."  That's right, isn't it?   :o

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2004, 12:23:17 PM »

DRelmore... LOL (that's internet lingo for Laughing Out Loud!)  The DP said the same thing about the candles rising from the lake.  I looked at it as a tribute to the stage production, while he looked at it as just stupid.  We then agreed that the rose much too quickly for the right effect and that perhaps if they moved a bit slower, it would have worked.  Otherwise, it look like they came shooting up from the lake.  I, however, liked the tribute, silly or not!!

As for the title song, let's remember who sang the song in the VERY VERY begining when the song was a pop song.  Steve Harley, a well known british rock star and Sarah Brightman, another well known british rock star at the time.  Albeit (did I just use that word) the song never was re-written to fit the rest of the score, it seems to be the way it was conceived.  I heard once from a cast member that ALW was suppose to have "fixed" that disco feeling in all the tracks used in the theatre, it's obvious he hasn't, and looks like he never was as it showed up in the film.  

Was that a run-on post or what?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2004, 12:23:18 PM »

DRJose, is this from the cookbook "Dishes for Your Disposal"?

LOL

;D

Although, I'm just wondering if it's necessary to freeze the concoction.  Sounds like it would be good on a cracker...

Or as spackling. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2004, 12:23:29 PM »

The funny thing about proofing is that I have several people do it, they all find different things, they all miss things (I'm talking about people who also do it professionally), and they all have different suggestions about the things they find in common.  Ultimately, I fix what I think is important, leave some stuff incorrect for various reasons, and some stuff we ALL miss.  I may well correct the spacing problems and a few other things I've found or others have found when the book hits its second printing.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2004, 12:28:03 PM »

As for the title song, let's remember who sang the song in the VERY VERY begining when the song was a pop song.  Steve Harley, a well known british rock star and Sarah Brightman, another well known british rock star at the time.  Albeit (did I just use that word) the song never was re-written to fit the rest of the score, it seems to be the way it was conceived.  I heard once from a cast member that ALW was suppose to have "fixed" that disco feeling in all the tracks used in the theatre, it's obvious he hasn't, and looks like he never was as it showed up in the film.  

Nope. When I saw the show in March, to my ears, it had yet to be fixed.  It's such a weird aural moment in the theatre... The whole soundscape changes once that click-track starts.  -And I still find it strange that they don't allow the Christine's to sing the high notes at the end even if they can - and they even have to audition with it!?!?!

-However, this may have changed over the past year or so, so.... Don't quote me.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2004, 12:35:59 PM »

I've done all my grocery shopping.  Next up is the haircut at three.  Tonight I shall prepare one of tomorrow's dishes - the cold tuna pasta salad.  Then, tomorrow, all I have to do is the spaghetti, and a little home environment organization.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2004, 12:36:17 PM »

That line should have read "ALW said he was going to fix"  not that he did fix it... my grammer stinks, sorry!  But I think you get the picture now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2004, 12:37:48 PM »

OH! And lo and behold, the one reviewer who I thought would actually really dislike HALLELUJAH, BABY! actually gave it a nice review.  He didn't love it, and he admitted that the show has structural problems, but he admired the score - and the new additions to the score.  Ya just never know.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2004, 12:46:37 PM »

Jose - I went through every post today - twice - to try and find your cookie recipe to print out. Finally went back to last night and bingo. Thank you for posting it. I'll try to make it in the next week or two and if certain people ask realy nicely, perhaps give them a few. Maybe.
My oven is being tempermental again - it's the Callas of ovens - so we'll see.

Jed

« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2004, 12:56:45 PM »

Did anyone else see the hilarious Onion review of Phantom yesterday, about treating people with post-melodramatic stress disorder?

HANDY-DANDY LINK TO SAID ARTICLE
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2004, 12:57:46 PM »

Jose - I went through every post today - twice - to try and find your cookie recipe to print out. Finally went back to last night and bingo. Thank you for posting it. I'll try to make it in the next week or two and if certain people ask realy nicely, perhaps give them a few. Maybe.
My oven is being tempermental again - it's the Callas of ovens - so we'll see.

Well, I know I'll be baking Sunday night and Monday, so... And I think I may just send out some to various people here and there and hither and thither... ??

Callas?  Maybe your oven is emulating Stratas?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2004, 01:03:07 PM »

Callas?  Maybe your oven is emulating Stratas?

Both of them Little Bo Peep next to Miss Driver's La Carlotta in POTO.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2004, 01:08:31 PM »

YEAH!  It's official!  I'll be heading to Indianapolis in April!  Hopefully, the snow will be melted by then.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2004, 01:12:42 PM »

That's weird, I had to log back in.  That hasn't happened in a VERY long time.

Thanks DR Stuart, I listened to "machetunim" which they pronounced "mack-i-too-nim" (the middle "e" is pronounced on the audio like planetarium).

The reason I asked how it sounded is because when I look at many of the words, they aren't written how they sound.  For example "sheyne"/pretty and "medydele:/girl is what my grandmother used to call me.  But it was pronounced Shay-na maid-e-la.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2004, 01:34:31 PM »

And to all DRs dealing with record snowfall amounts right now... Be Safe!  May your water pipes keep running.  May your electricity stay on.  May your gas stoves and heaters keep you warm.

Take pictures too! :D
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up