Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PERFECTLY COIFFED  (Read 41830 times)

Jennifer

Re:PERFECTLY COIFFED
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2004, 09:39:42 AM »

Hmmmm, it's also raining quite heavily here.

Interesting, because only 2 days ago it was -28C with windchill.  And now today it is supposed to go up to +7C (which is about 45F).

I'm happy it is raining instead of snowing!

Hmmm, I wonder if I am stupid for considering going to the mall tonight.  I need to go out and pick up a free dvd rental (hopefully Princess Diaries 2).  But when I'm out, I was thinking of stopping to look at shoes.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2004, 09:43:11 AM »

Oh and amazon package #1 arrived yesterday.  This is #1 of 4 that amazon sent out (of the same item because they screwed up and wanted to make sure it got there by xmas).

Interesting fedex brought it on tues during the day and nobody was home.  But for some reason they decided to leave it yesterday with no signature. Weird.

Anyhow #2, and 3 are on the fedex truck today.  I'm actually hoping that they don't leave them.  Then my friend can just call and refuse them.

Amazon's response when I suggested it was a big excessive to send out FOUR SHIPMENTS OF THE SAME THING, "well it's already done". :)

Anyhow they did give a $10 gift certificate, which always makes me feel better.

Well thankfully the disney princess comforter has arrived.  And one 6 yr old little girl should be very happy Christmas morning.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2004, 09:44:00 AM »

OK - I've stalled long enough... Time for some laundry, vacuuming, cleaning, etc...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2004, 09:49:43 AM »

Oh and amazon package #1 arrived yesterday.  This is #1 of 4 that amazon sent out (of the same item because they screwed up and wanted to make sure it got there by xmas).

Interesting fedex brought it on tues during the day and nobody was home.  But for some reason they decided to leave it yesterday with no signature. Weird.

With my experience with FedEx and UPS, they will usually leave the shipment without a signature - especially around this time of year.  Otherwise, their trucks would be filled with lots of stuff "on hold".  I also think there's some sort of declared monetary value variable that comes into play - if it's below a certain, they leave it on the doorstep, or somewhere.

I will say the USPS - Postal Service - can be quite the sticklers for requiring a signature at times.  Thankfully, the guy who normally delivers my mail in Richmond tends to take his lunch after finishing our block.  So, if it turns out that I've just missed him, then I just walk around the corner usually, find his truck, present my slip, and sign for the package.

*And I have to say UPS has been very helpful at times when I've just missed their delivery truck.  I've called the 800 number a few times, and they've told me which street or area of town the truck is in, and I've tracked down the truck!  The wonders of technology - and some persistence.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2004, 09:50:32 AM »

As I was saying... enough stallling..

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2004, 09:50:49 AM »

If you do a Google while in RATM on "Curtains Kander Ebb," you will indeed find several threads, so I guess my increasingly spotty memory is at least partially intact.  :)  And it did apparently have a workshop in NYC some time ago.  However, I'm also remembering reading a feature article on it, which is where I think I'm remembering the stuff about the opening from.  Maybe that was reprinted by Max.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2004, 09:55:21 AM »

Re:  birthdays.  See, you learn something new every day at HHW.  I never realized we could enter our birthdays (guess I missed that when I signed up the first time).  I wondered why mine never seemed to get mentioned, LOL (not that I need reminding, oy!).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2004, 10:13:28 AM »

Let me assure you, I do, indeed have a log in to this site :)  Thank you one and all for the birthday wishes. My "profile" doesn't include my birthday, perhaps that's why BK's calendar didn't have a higher power to warn him thus in time.

As for the time machine question, I will say that I wouldn't go back and "get" something per se, but rather go back and BRING something. Pro Tools and High Def video equipment, so that we could create lush and beautiful recordings of shows that were recorded in mono - or not at all. And the video equipment to archive those performances lost forever.

That, is my simple holiday wish

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2004, 10:15:49 AM »

Senility always needs a higher power.  Craig and I have e-mailed about his simple Christmas wish, which is excellent.

The first thing I'd tape would be Li'l Abner, followed by Follies, and then Gypsy with Ethel Merman.  Then Dreamgirls.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2004, 10:16:07 AM »

The Promises, Promises.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2004, 10:16:18 AM »

Then Smile.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2004, 10:16:34 AM »

Then La Strada, just for interest's sake.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2004, 10:21:55 AM »

Happy Birthday, William!! Hope your day is merry and bright, and no slighting on the birthday gifts, as in days of yore, when they put all that together with the Christmas gifts!!

I arrived in LA last night, shlepped my parents to my sister's house for dinner (the machateynista-to-be split the cost of dinner...), shlepped them back home, then shlepped myself to my other sister's, where I'm staying until Jan. 8 when I head back to NYC to prepare my Jewish Thighs for public viewing...

Did I mention that Jose is going to sing in said show?? Well, he is!

And I am SOOOO looking forward to BK's annual Christmas Eve bash. Always a pleasure. This year, I hope we will gather round the grand piano and holler olde carols in a tipsy fashion... maybe hear a song or two from BK's vast catalogue of parodies...

Off I go, kids. Have a good one.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2004, 10:32:02 AM »

OK - I've just read through the previous page of notes - and want to say

Happy Birthday, Craig!

if I were less techno-challenged, I might try making one of those big, bright, animated Birthday greetings that so many DR's seem to know how to make, and to which I was treated - to my great delight - on my own birthday bash at HHW.com.
PennyO

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2004, 10:34:36 AM »

Happy Happy Birthdays to our Dear Reader WFO and Dear Administrator Craig.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2004, 10:36:21 AM »

Welcome back to LA, Penny-O!

Time Machine Gifts... Well, first thing that comes to mind is the puppet theater I used to have ask a kid in Budapest. Would love to have that back.
And my vast collection of beloved cut-out-dolls - including Debbie Reynolds, Elizabeth Taylor and (perhaps) Vera Miles - but I may be wrong about Vera.
More later. I need to shower. Running a tad late today.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2004, 10:36:41 AM »

Here's my "Phantom of the Opera" movie review.

To begin with, I treated the viewing of “The Phantom of the Opera” movie as a movie, not a stage to screen adaptation.   I give the movie 4 ½ stars out of 5.    The sets were amazing and the effects were quite well done.  The performances were great, I loved the fact that the leads were young.  It made Christine’s choice a lot harder at the end, and made it more realistic that she would want to fall in love with the Phantom.   (Heck, both male leads were great to look at, I could have learned to live with that distorted face!!)

Which brings me to the realization that this really is a love story.  I’ve heard people complain that the Phantom was menacing enough, but it’s a love story.  The screen version moved me to tears at the end, while the stage version (which I’ve seen 10 times) never has done that.  I’m thinking it’s because the movie is in your face and it’s easier to see the “acting”.  The acting was great.  Emmy Rossum was just a fantastic Christine.  She may not have been the strongest singer, but, MAN could she act.  She was very believable.  Personally, I liked Gerard Butler’s Phantom.  I think the choice of casting someone with a pop sort of voice was a good choice.  It’s what the normal movie-going, pop music listening public are used to hearing.  Someone with a more classically trained voice would probably not be as accepted as someone with a pop voice would.  It’s all about what your public wants.  If you want to hear something more classical, see the stage production.

The chandelier drop was amazing, as was the fire afterward.  All and all, I felt it was well directed.  I also liked that we were introduced to more of the Phantom’s past and included were the booby traps that he created in the opera house (room of mirrors, etc.) I remember that aspect of the Phantom being very prominent in the actual novel.  The story seemed so much more intact here than in previous versions of the novel.

Minnie Driver is Hy-sterical.  She really is a good asset to this movie, such great comedy relief.  The “Prima Donna” number was one of my favorite moments in the movie.

The only negative thing I can say about the production is a personal one.  I LOVE the Prologue scene on the stage production.  I really like the exploding chandelier and the restoration of the opera house back to the 1800’s.  While I really liked the use of wind going from black and white to color in the movie, I miss the excitement that can only be found in the theatre.    

All in all, it could have been a tad bit shorter.  Some quicker tempos could have fixed the length, but that’s just my opinion.

What am I, bk all of a sudden??

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2004, 10:37:12 AM »

Yes - Happy Birthday, Mr. Craig Brockman!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 10:37:50 AM by Panni »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2004, 10:42:14 AM »

Happy B-day WFO and Craig!!
[/size][/b][/color]

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2004, 10:42:54 AM »

(the machateynista-to-be split the cost of dinner...)

Thank you for using this word, DR PennyO!  I thought I was the only one who still used it!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2004, 10:48:40 AM »

An Oldie but a Goody-For The Holiday Season!!!
One Hen
Two Ducks
Three Squawking Geese
Four Limerick Oysters
Five Corpulent Porpoises
Six Pairs of Don Alverzo's Tweezers
Seven Thousand Macedanions in full battle array
Eight Brass Monkeys from the Ancient Crypts of Egypt
Nine apathetic,sympathetic,diabetic old men on roller skates with a marked propensity towards procrastination and sloth
Ten lyrical,spherical,diabolical denizens of the deep who hall stall around the corner of the quo of the quay of the quivery,all at the same time.

ROTFLMAO!! ;D But what about 11 and 12? ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2004, 10:49:01 AM »

And just in case you didn't get enough reviews of "The Phantom of the Opera" movie, if you go to rottentomatoes.com, they have a page of links to all the reviews.  CLICK HERE!

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2004, 10:54:03 AM »

Personally, I liked Gerard Butler’s Phantom.  I think the choice of casting someone with a pop sort of voice was a good choice.  It’s what the normal movie-going, pop music listening public are used to hearing.  Someone with a more classically trained voice would probably not be as accepted as someone with a pop voice would.  It’s all about what your public wants.  If you want to hear something more classical, see the stage production.

DRMatthew, while I've several friends play the Phantom, and some of them do have classical voices, I consider a lot of that falsetto wailing (bargaincountertenor, in my book) is grisly.  I would never consider Mr Crawford's voice classically trained by any stretch of the imagination, even if he did sing in the premiere of Britten's NOYE'S FLUDDE!  I'm not sure what I'd call that voice, but as I said yesterday, I'm totally immune to his supposed charisma.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2004, 10:54:03 AM »

Thank you for using this word, DR PennyO!  I thought I was the only one who still used it!

OK... For the unenlightened...

machateynista

Please tranlate/transliterate... enlighten if you please.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2004, 10:57:20 AM »

I won't say it.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2004, 10:57:51 AM »

I can't say it.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2004, 10:58:20 AM »

If I don't say it, I won't have to think about it.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2004, 10:58:54 AM »

If I don't think about it, it won't be true.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2004, 10:59:23 AM »

But if I do say it, it will have no power over me.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2004, 10:59:51 AM »

But if I don't say it...
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up