Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: WHOLE CLOTH  (Read 55402 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:WHOLE CLOTH
« Reply #210 on: January 26, 2005, 01:38:11 PM »

Mr Peabody was one of my nicknames at school.  I like to think it was because I was smart, but I think it was my glasses.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 02:22:12 PM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #211 on: January 26, 2005, 01:38:34 PM »

And another:  Welcome back, WFO!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #212 on: January 26, 2005, 01:39:57 PM »

The comments about the Chooster were not meant to be mean-spirited.  Not that I can speak for anyone but myself.  But I also did not take any of the other healthy discourse about it as mean-spirited.

After all, if folks in number can comment upon how happy it makes them, why am I not supposed to post  how "I" feel about it????  

Many photos were posted previously and I said nothing.  It ran its course, or so I thought.  But today, there was another photo.  And that was fine, too, but foks then began making comments about how the world is a better place now that Chooster is back (did the Chooster sign up?  Does it have a pasword?  Does it post?), and I simply could not refrain from shouting to the skies that the state of the world is in no way, shape or form affected by a wooden fowl.

Photos don't bother me.  An idle comment makes no difference, either.  

But I cannot say nothing about some machine-made wooden object changing the status of the world, especially when there are far more important things that would make the world a better place.

[sigh]

:D

R
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 01:46:59 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #213 on: January 26, 2005, 01:40:42 PM »

I don't really have many knick-knacks, but I do collect key chains.  I have several hundred.  They're all in boxes and bags amongst the boxes in my extra-bedroom-as-storage room.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #214 on: January 26, 2005, 01:42:32 PM »

Page Eight Mr Peabody & Sherman Dance.  ;D

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #215 on: January 26, 2005, 01:51:39 PM »

My tackiest/kitschiest tchotchke would be the breakfast set/clown that i got with boxtops, probably.....(hmmmm....head scracthing going on.....I'm HOW old now???)...about 35 years ago or so.

It's made of plastic and has my name emblazoned across its lower portion.  The thing breaks apart to become:

a plate (his feet are painted on the bottom of the plate, and the plate stands inverted)
a cereal bowl (with slight indentations for his legs in very full clown pants)
a cup (his torso; you would hold onto his arms as you sip milk; it inverts onto the bowl)
an egg cup (his face, with the neck ruff being the base of the egg cup)
a salt shaker (blue pointy clown hat)

It's sort of hard to describe, but all those things pop together to form a very roly-poly clown.  I used to despise the thing, but as with most things Brooklyn-related from my childhood, I now have come to appreciate it, and it has traveled with me from home to home since.....1990 or so.  (I took it from my mother's apartment slighty before she moved to CA.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2005, 02:00:06 PM »

I didn't find any of it mean-spirited.  Lively, oh, yes, lively, but not mean-spirited.  Everyone expressed their opinion - some stronger than others, but that is because we, thankfully, all have different ways of expressing things.  I have now nicknamed the Chooster Peckerhead, which is, given today's discourse, quite appropriately appropriate.

MBarnum

« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2005, 02:00:11 PM »

Dr Stuart, now that I have got to see. It sounds like fun...boy I can remember circa 1973 when FREAKIES cereal came out and everytime I opened a new box I always ended up with the Freakies character Goody Goody...so I saved 75 cents and sent away for the whole set of 7 Freakies characters...it seemed like an eternity before they finally arrived...and I still have them!

Does anyone else remember this cereal?? It was all the rage at Griffin Creek Elementary school...well, my friend Beth and I liked it.

MBarnum

« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2005, 02:02:21 PM »

Believe it or not there is a video that came out a few years back that has ALL the various 1970s FREAKIES cereal commercials on it, and an interview with the lady who came up with the characters.

And of course I had to buy it! LOL!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #219 on: January 26, 2005, 02:03:50 PM »

For reasons I'll never quite understand, DR Kerry once loaned me a book entitled "The Encyclopedia of Bad Taste."

I thought the items in it were lovely.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2005, 02:04:44 PM »

Not getting the Chooster "vibe."  It's a piece of pottery chunk of wood (probably pressed).

My world wouldn't rattle if a quake knocked it off its perch.

Sorry, but...it's an object...not a living being.

All will be right in the world, or a part of it, when the President stops the loss of lives of American troops in Iraq.

Forgive me if I'm unable to be silly....

Well, DRRonPulliam, since I was on the bandwagon for the Chooster Theatre Festival, I have to cheerfully disagree with you!  One man's whimsy is another man's poison, but if you don't want to join in the fun, that's fine.  You don't have to rain on the parade either.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2005, 02:06:07 PM »

I have tried to avoid tacky knick-knacks, succeeding inasmuchas I've never bought one for myself.

Receiving them as presents, however....from loved ones, too!  Well....

Fortunately, they're pretty much in the Pier 1 variety, but totally not in keeping with my tastes...what use have I, I ask, for a wooden cat that is carved to be placed on the edge of a mantel when I don't have a mantel?

Or a world globe painted in the "old style" when maps still showed Greenland as Green and Iceland as White???

I have an assortment of Christmas-themed "cups/mugs" and no end to Christmas-themed oddities made from all sorts of crafty stuff that I feel guilty about seriously disliking...but there it is.  Not anyting vividly outrageous.

But...I do have my high-quality Winged Victory statue...and my bust of Alexander...and my Italian carnival masks....surely they're not....not....hideous trash????

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2005, 02:07:14 PM »

Hmm, since I'm in my office right now, I'd say the tackiest knick-knack here is my little sign that used to hang over my Grandfather's desk. It says "Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut"  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2005, 02:08:24 PM »

Ron, you're not the only one who doesn't get the Chooster vibe.  It's hardly a rara avis if they're discounting them in bins at Pier One.  It's not an object d'art.  It's a knick-knack. A rather tacky one at that.

Oy!  And what's wrong with tacky?

Yes, I'm back from the opera, and my friend Bill was a wonderful Pelleas.  It's too bad Jonathan Miller's over-intellectualized production was such a dismal bore.  I couldn't wait for Melisande to die.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #224 on: January 26, 2005, 02:08:53 PM »

For those who watch, LOST tonight is a repeat but ALIAS is a new episode.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #225 on: January 26, 2005, 02:09:28 PM »

Well, DRRonPulliam, since I was on the bandwagon for the Chooster Theatre Festival, I have to cheerfully disagree with you!  One man's whimsy is another man's poison, but if you don't want to join in the fun, that's fine.  You don't have to rain on the parade either.

One man's parade is another man's....

Am I understanding you correctly?  I have no right to express how I feel, but you have a right to do exactly as you please and to chastise me for commenting on it?

Hmmmmmmmm...l.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2005, 02:11:48 PM »

The Importance of Being Ernest.  I like the Brit film version from the forties, I think.

BK, I second the motion!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2005, 02:12:32 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back home between shows!  Interesting matinee.  Half the audience was high school kids, and the other half was nursing home residents.  -Is that proper grammar?  should I have used "were" instead of "was".  In any case...  It was fun hearing how each half of the audience reacted or didn't react to certain jokes, situations and words in the show.  And for some reason, it was also just a particularly silly show backstage.  22 more shows to go... -Not that I'm counting or anything like that...

;)

Once home, I commenced with my workout - Going for the Burn!  And now I've been cooling down with HHW...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: January 26, 2005, 02:14:37 PM »

Here is an actual photograph of the Buddah.  Notice its aura.  Do you feel it?

The Buddah knows that any more discussion of the Peckerhead is useless - everyone has made their point, everyone made their point as they so chose to make it (including me), and now it is time to have some fershluganah questions.  Or, more photographs of silly knick-knacks.  Can't someone post a photograph of a paddy whack?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2005, 02:15:19 PM »

Now, THAT is a silly knick-knack.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2005, 02:15:22 PM »

Let's see...A sucidial nut left his car on the railroad tracks.  He escaped death, but his act killed ten or eleven people and injured hundreds of other?

Condeleeza Rice...a repeated liar and a flack and apologist for the administration's repeated lies...got confirmed today as Secretary of State.

And the war goes on in Iraq.

All does not seem right with the world to me today...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2005, 02:15:29 PM »

DR RON - tonight we get another episode of PROJECT RUNWAY!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2005, 02:16:29 PM »

And who amongst you can identify the person in the photograph behind the Buddah - not me, I'm in the photograph - the guy next to me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2005, 02:16:51 PM »

Almost nothing happening in the world today would be believed if written as fiction.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #234 on: January 26, 2005, 02:18:01 PM »

Is that Mr Jerry Herman?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: January 26, 2005, 02:18:02 PM »

I can see posting pictures of our shows, our home enivronment, our dinners, our favourite movie stars, art objects we're particularly proud of, even our favourite beefcake/cheesecake photos (to some extent), and, yes, even our latest acquisitions (even Choosters), ...but once we've seen one or two pictures of said acquisition from various angles, once we've gotten the idea, do we really need an unending series of poses of the same thing?

Well...not this lad...Nor do I need wasted pages of running commentary on it...nor giving it "vibes"...And my tongue isn't in my cheek...My time can be better spent here than reveling in the so-called joys of Chooster. It's not why I come here.  I come here for the wit, the repartee, discussions of the arts. When the site becomes overwhelmed with banalities like Chooster -- a remaindered Pier One knick-knack, that's when I make my exit.

The pontiff is in.  I see no site overwhelmed with Chooster banalities, just a lot of verbal axe grinding.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #236 on: January 26, 2005, 02:18:20 PM »

Comedy teams - Anyone remember Monteith and Rand?  If I'm remembering correctly, they started in DC, and then got some national exposure.  In the 80's... - I believe there were on "The Tonight Show" a few times too.  They were mainly improvisers, but I always got a good laugh out of them, and some of the very quick-thinking repartee was astonishing at times.

The Smothers Brothers always made me laugh too.  And although they were not a strict "team", I've always enjoyed Harvery Korman and Tim Conway - who actually have been touring as a team the past few years.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #237 on: January 26, 2005, 02:19:53 PM »

Looks like Regis Philbin to me, BK.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #238 on: January 26, 2005, 02:22:29 PM »

I saw a garden sized Buddah at Target this weekend...I was thinking about getting it for my garden..I liked it's aura but was afraid to touch it for fear of being kicked out of the store.

Kerry

« Reply #239 on: January 26, 2005, 02:23:32 PM »

It's raining a "Singin' In the Rain" kind of rain today.  Alll day.  While it might be fun in sinag and dance in, it is not fun to do almost anything else in.  I try to let Sugar out between showers.  How DO you guys do this in the snow?

My question for anyone today (Jose, I know you're a keyboard player and not reeds or brass, but...) Does anyone around here know how to spell Ombishure (ambishure?) correctly?  I know what it means, but I don't know how to spell it and can't find it in the dictionary (EVEN UNDER THE WHACKIEST OF SPELLINGS).

I do have a set of "Funny Face" drink mix character mugs.  I'd like to get the Goofy Grape pitcher sometime just for fun.  I think one of my favorites is my Bob's Big Boy piggy bank.  I have an older one and a new one.  The older Big Boy is a lot fatter than the new Big Boy.  I see political correctness and body image have even struck Big Boy.

I'm afraid I have quite a few nifty tidbits like those.  I don't know which is the worst or the best though.
I like boat races.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Up