Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HOO AND RAY  (Read 17921 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:HOO AND RAY
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2006, 01:26:28 PM »

Had lunch at Arby's today. Hadn't been there in awhile, so it was good for a change.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2006, 01:26:31 PM »

I just recalled another comedy team--Rossi and Allen.  Or was it Allen and Rossi?  My memory is fuzzy about their routine, but I know Rossi was not funny at all and I think I found Marty Allen to be annoying.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2006, 01:29:04 PM »

Page Five Foulfellow Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2006, 01:32:48 PM »

When I got in from lunch, I watched last night's LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT. Whoopi Goldberg was the guest star, and did SHE ever play a duplicitous character. Wow! Good job for her. Wouldn't be surprised if she got an Emmy nomination for guest actress. Very low key and fascinating acting by Whoopi, the antithesis of her character in GHOST.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2006, 01:36:30 PM »

Today in the mail I got an all-region DVD of LOVELY TO LOOK AT. It's the same print as was used for the videotape ("New Technicolor Restoration"), but with the added resolution you get with disc over tape. Very, very saturated color. So glad to have this now. Maybe one day we'll get a commercial issue of this musical from Warners.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2006, 01:37:24 PM »

News Flash For Buffet Lovers
DES MOINES, Iowa - Wendy Dershem may think twice before leaving that egg roll on her plate at her next Chinese buffet. The Des Moines woman, her boyfriend and her two children were kicked out of a restaurant last week after management accused her of leaving too much food on her plate.

"They told us we are not welcome there anymore," said Dershem, a repeat customer at the Dragon House buffet. "We waste too much food. But the buffet is all you can eat. And you know kids. They won't always eat everything, and they want something else."

Dershem said she paid her $5.95 fee on Saturday but was abruptly told to leave after eating one plate of food.

Employees said they had been watching her family on previous trips to the restaurant and were fed up with her habits.

"They just take one bite and throw it away," said cashier Lin Huyen. "They take four egg rolls and crab rangoon, take one bite of egg roll and throw the whole plate. That is wasting food."

Dershem said she was shocked by the scolding and complained to management when she paid her check. "It was embarrassing. ... If it's a one-stop buffet, post it," she said.

Dragon House manager Kent Cao said his restaurant offers an all you can eat buffet, not all you can waste. Dershem's family took food, didn't finish it and then piled on the same food again, he said.

"She’s done that too many times," Cao said. "We would welcome her back if she has respect and knows what she wants."

Bob Oberbillig, an adjunct professor at the Drake Legal Clinic, says the patron would have no legal case against exclusion from a business unless there are other factors such as racial discrimination or mental health issues.

"An establishment can exclude people if they smoke or waste food," he said. "It's still a private business."

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2006, 01:37:44 PM »

I still have THE SOPRANOS from last night to watch and also last Thursday's THE OFFICE which I didn't get around to all weekend. Should have no trouble fitting it in tonight before HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER comes on.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2006, 01:38:59 PM »

Over the weekend, I recorded MADAME X off TCM starring Lana Turner (or as Pauline Kael called her, "Brand X"). Haven't seen this all the way through in many years, so it should be fun.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2006, 01:44:34 PM »

We come from a land down under...

SYDNEY, Australia - Prostitutes, strippers and lap dancers can claim tax deductions for adult toys and lingerie, officials said Friday, as the Australian Taxation Office issued a list of deductible items for the sex industry.

Condoms, lubricants, gels and oils are among a myriad of other items that these workers can claim against tax, according to a fact sheet issued on the office's Web site.

While they cannot claim deductions for fitness classes that keep them in shape, the tax office ruled they can claim the cost of dance lessons.

"You can claim the cost of replacing or repairing things like equipment, adult novelties and other apparatus used in your work," the office advises, under a section titled "tools of trade."

"This is just another one of our occupational lists that we put together to help people," a taxation office spokeswoman said on customary condition of anonymity
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2006, 02:13:55 PM »

For those who may have been following the story of the two Australian (Ta smanian) Gold miners trapped for fifteen days a milebeneath the ground, they were finally rescued and WALKED our from the mine an hour ago.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2006, 02:30:48 PM »

I'll vote for the DR Charles mentioned version of the Camelot tale  "Mists of Avalon".  The films works for me too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2006, 02:45:47 PM »

Heading down now to start the weekly cleaning chores and then settling in for a night of DVD and TV.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2006, 02:52:11 PM »

Back from shipping stuff, and had some Koo Koo Roo Buffalo Wings.  I'm now thoroughly nauseated.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2006, 02:52:22 PM »

There was also Martini and Rossi.

Of Asti Spumanti fame.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2006, 03:05:31 PM »

I'll vote for the DR Charles mentioned version of the Camelot tale  "Mists of Avalon".  The films works for me too.

CP, should I read the book or watch the film?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2006, 03:09:55 PM »

Fans of the early 1960s TV show "Checkmate" might be interested to know about a new John(ny) Williams recording that has been announced today by Film Score Monthly.

In addition to "Checkmate", another Williams album called "Rhythm in Motion" has been added to fill out the CD.  This one has a bunch of well-known show tunes (pre-Sondheim) arranged by Williams and then recorded in stereo like a musical version of "Lost in Space"....it's far out and may be just the ginchiest instrumental album you'll have heard in a long while!

Both albums were issued in the early 60s by Columbia Records.  FSM has accessed the Columbia LP stereo masters and presents both albums in pristine sound.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 03:14:55 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2006, 03:10:24 PM »

Bruce, I think in your nuclear meltdown phase you forgot to lock Saturday and Sunday notes. They are still open (I didn't post) for posting.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2006, 03:19:19 PM »

Well, in CAMELOT at least, she didn't at first. Rather despised his cockiness and assuredness as a matter of fact. His nobility and purity of spirit in bringing the dead knight back to life helped her to see him in a different light. Both try to fight their feelings of attraction but eventually give in to them though knowing they're wrong and somewhat damning themselves in the process. (Ah, the head and the heart sometimes fight horrendous battles within some of us.) And since Arthur loves them both, he can understand their mutual attraction and resigns himself to it never losing his love for either of them.

I don't know. The story felt more adult and true to me that the "hero" didn't end up with the girl but didn't retreat into hatred and bitterness because of their weakness.

Wasn't Gueniverre a teenager when she and Arthur married? Haven't read T.H. White in decades, but she was very young, I think.
In addition, in T. H. White's Once and Future King, Lancelot is introduced as ugly and apelike.  He is the central character in the third book of the series, The Ill-Made Knight, which certainly places him with greater importance and dimention than the musicalization made of him.

I haven't had a chance to give more than a cursory glance to the website dedicated to White, "England Have My Bones."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2006, 03:25:14 PM »

Good news Tomovoz!

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2006, 03:30:17 PM »

DR Jane - the film (TV) at least gave the story line three hours.  Colin loved it and had not read the book.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2006, 03:31:08 PM »

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Flanders and Swan.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2006, 03:32:20 PM »

'Mud, Mud, glorious mud
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood!
So follow me, follow
Down to the hollow
And there let us wallow
In glorious mud'

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2006, 04:00:34 PM »

HELLO DR JED
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2006, 04:04:05 PM »

Holy moley on rye, Ben was right.  I really must have gone to lunarland over the weekend.

Jed

« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2006, 04:06:56 PM »

Hello, Tomovoz!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2006, 04:07:37 PM »

For those who may have been following the story of the two Australian (Ta smanian) Gold miners trapped for fifteen days a milebeneath the ground, they were finally rescued and WALKED our from the mine an hour ago.

But there is a sad footnote:  

SYDNEY, Australia - Richard Carleton, an award-winning journalist whose career in Australian television spanned 40 years, died on Sunday, minutes after asking a question at a news conference. He was 62.

Carleton, a reporter for the Nine Network's flagship program "60 Minutes," suffered a suspected heart attack moments after grilling the manager of a gold mine about its safety record. Two Australian miners have been trapped underground at the Beaconsfield Gold Mine for 13 days and Carleton was one of a phalanx of reporters in town covering the rescue operation.

What an ironic twist to the story. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2006, 04:13:20 PM »

CP, should I read the book or watch the film?

THE BOOK!!!!!!!

[/color]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 04:14:56 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2006, 04:16:12 PM »

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Flanders and Swan.
Have some madiera, m'dear!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2006, 04:24:24 PM »

Hello, Tomovoz!

Hey, buddy! This ain't Snookie.  Welcome back, DR Jed!

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2006, 04:27:13 PM »

Hello DR Elmore

I guess you've always had problems with the Prodigal Son story too!
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up