Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HOO AND RAY  (Read 17569 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HOO AND RAY
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:18:57 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are now in the know and with it and also with it and in the know, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they, of course, mis-read today's notes title as MOO AND RAY.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:16:32 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HOO AND RAY
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 12:19:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: SOMNAMBULIST!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 12:58:12 AM »

Favourite Comedy team:
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 01:05:44 AM »

Favourtie comedy teams:

The Marx Brothers...DUCK SOUP; HORSE FEATHERS; ANIMAL CRACKERS.

Hope & Crosby...ROAD TO UTOPIA; ROAD TO RIO; ROAD TO MOROCCO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 04:09:54 AM »

DR CP - did your horse come?  I haven't read the results!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 04:10:41 AM »

DR RODZINSKI - I like EXCALIBUR very much....a disturbing take on the Arthurian legends.  Some excellent performance and very nice design and music.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 04:11:41 AM »

Is it Monday already?

I enjoy COMPULSION as well...although I only have the VHS.  Mr Dillman and Mr Stockwell and Mr Welles along with Mr Milner and Ms Varsi are all terrific.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 04:13:45 AM »

Comedy teams:

Abbott & Costello, of course....Who's on First?  Mrs. Pike's Peke. Lou onstage singing,  and Bud telling the stage manager to take the legs up....and Lou of course tries to follow the instructions.

Nichols & May - the bargain funeral.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 04:16:45 AM »

I watched two DVD's sent me by DRMBARNUM yesterday.

The first of the Mifune Samarai Trilogy...in color!  From 1955 - Musashi Myimoto.  I bought the other two films on Ebay - well I got a set of three on VHS for about $11 including shipping.  I want to see how the story ends!

LAKEER starring Mr John Abraham.  A VERY good film....a love triangle tied to a gangster film...with GREAT color and jazzy musical numbers...

Ben

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 04:34:13 AM »

I forgot yesterday to wish our Danise happy birthday. Better late than never.

Happy Day Miss Florida!

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 05:04:34 AM »

Just finished watching "A Shot in the Dark".

Sellers & Lom - good comedy team!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 05:59:52 AM »

Quiet day today around these here parts and pieces.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 06:00:22 AM »

Must be bio documentary day on TCM or something like that.

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 06:17:06 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Here I am at work for my first 5-day week since mid-April.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 06:22:17 AM »

TOD:

Bob & Ray
The Smothers Brothers
Peter Cook and Dudley Moore
Stiller and Meara

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 06:47:53 AM »

Good morning, all! I had a lovely Sunday with family:
My Father, cousin Sue Ellen and I visited my home-bound 74 year-old Uncle Bob, my mother's brother, for a couple of hours yesterday.  I hadn't seen him since my brother's wedding 11 years ago.  His heart is quite bad, and my cousin and father kept remarking on the way back how poor he looked.  I was just happy to see him still alive.  This is the uncle who dated Phyllis McGuire a million years ago in high school or junior high.

Then father, cousin and I went to my mother's grave and redid the flowers.  After that, I went to buy a new cap, and spent the remainder of the afternoon and evening at my brother Tom's, listening to his wife deal with her mother's diabetes and watching my brother fighting the insects eating the timber on his home.

Tomorrow, my Father and I spend 4 hours in hospital as he undergoes some sort of scan.   I can't even think of the TOD right now because my time on the computer is limited.  Perhaps later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 06:50:58 AM »

There is wetness here in Rehoboth.  At last.  We've been needing rain, and we got some during the night.

OK, I know, dull post, but it's something.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 06:57:24 AM »

DR Elmore - check your messages...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 07:00:31 AM »

Because I haven't posted one of these for a while...

Today is Childhood Depression Awareness Day.

It is also National Teacher Day.

Not that one has anything to do with the other, I hope.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 07:02:07 AM »

Today is also National Coconut Cream Pie Day.

I'm blaming Jose.

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 07:10:50 AM »

RE: Rodzinski's questions last night: I have seen MONOLITH MONSTERS, but it was sooooo many years ago. Perhaps TCM will show it one of these days and I can catch it again. I seem to recall that as a kid I didn't find it all that interesting, but I do believe it is more of an adult thriller (not the type of adult thriller in Elmore's VCR, however).

And no, I had not heard about Naushad's death...he composed the music for some of Bollywood's biggest classic films!

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 07:14:09 AM »

Today is also National Coconut Cream Pie Day.

I wonder if Dawn Wells celebrates this day??

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 07:15:13 AM »

JRand55, glad you liked LAKEER? Perhaps you will become a John Abraham convert!

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 07:18:03 AM »

Or perhaps Sunil Shetty!

Ben

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 07:25:29 AM »

TCB, knowing your interest in the Titanic, I wondered if you have seen this news piece.

Titanic's Last American Survivor Dies at 99

By ANDREW RYAN, AP

BOSTON (May 7) - Lillian Gertrud Asplund, the last American survivor of the sinking of the Titanic in 1912, has died, a funeral home said Sunday. She was 99.

Asplund, who was just 5 years old, lost her father and three brothers - including a fraternal twin - when the "practically unsinkable" ship went down in the North Atlantic after hitting an iceberg.

She died Saturday at her home in Shrewsbury, said Ronald E. Johnson, vice president of the Nordgren Memorial Chapel in Worcester, Mass.

"She went to sleep peacefully," he said.

Asplund's mother, Selma, and another brother, Felix, who was 3, also survived the Titanic sinking in the early morning of April 15, 1912.

Asplund was the last Titanic survivor with actual memories of the sinking, but she shunned publicity and rarely spoke about the events.

At least two other survivors are living, but they were too young to have memories of the disaster. Barbara Joyce West Dainton of Truro, England, was 10 months old and Elizabeth Gladys "Millvina" Dean of Southampton, England, was 2 months old.

The Asplund family had boarded the ship in Southampton, England, as third-class passengers on their way back to Worcester from their ancestral homeland, Sweden, where they had spent several years.

Asplund's mother described the sinking in an interview with the Worcester Telegram & Gazette newspaper shortly after she and her two children arrived in the city.

Selma Asplund said the family went to the Titanic's upper deck after the ship struck the iceberg.

"I could see the icebergs for a great distance around ... It was cold and the little ones were cuddling close to one another and trying to keep from under the feet of the many excited people ... My little girl, Lillie, accompanied me, and my husband said 'Go ahead, we will get into one of the other boats.' He smiled as he said it."

Because they lost all of their possessions and money, the city of Worcester held a fundraiser and a benefit concert that together brought in about $2,000 for the surviving Asplunds.

Lillian Asplund never married and worked at secretarial jobs in the Worcester area most of her life. She retired early to care for her mother, who was described as having never gotten over the tragedy.

Selma Asplund died on the 52nd anniversary of the sinking in 1964 at age 91. Felix Asplund died on March 1, 1983, at age 73.

A memorial service will be held Wednesday, Johnson said.
05/07/06 14:26 EDT

Ben

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 07:25:59 AM »

I second the Smothers Brothers. I also liked Rowan and Martin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 07:28:07 AM »

Good morning!

We've got another cloudy and cool day here. It was very cold (for May) last night, and again isn't supposed to get out of the 60s today. I'm not sure it even got to the 60s yesterday.

Another good day to stay inside as much as possible. But things start to warm up tomorrow and should be back to 80 by Thursday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2006, 07:30:50 AM »

For classic teams, it has to be the Marx Bros. for me. HORSE FEATHERS continues to be my favorite of their films (love Groucho in the classroom teaching about how blood flows through the body), and the mirror bit between Groucho and Harpo in DUCK SOUP is a worthy classic moment.

I even love all their antics in THE COCOANUTS though the romantic subplot in the film between Mary Eaton and Oscar Shaw could be deleted, and I wouldn't mind a bit.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2006, 07:31:53 AM »

I have COMPULSION on a Fox laserdisc, and it looked quite wonderful. Haven't decided if I will watch the DVD enough to warrant a purchase.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2006, 07:32:38 AM »

Hello! Well I've had a weekend! Non delivery of new stove which was pushed back to Mother's Day.  Dentist appointments which were cancelled to accomodate arrival of new stove couldn't be rescheduled becasue they had already been given away.  The Vixter went to her cousins' for the afternoon while Vixdad & I had to attend a graduation dinner for a friend who decided to change professions and went back to school to become a teacher.  He is graduating Summa Cum Laude and (or is it Magna Cum Laude... he had a 4.0  so whichever...) and won an award for Outstanding Non Traditional Student (he's 42)

SO while at the dinner some 60 miles from our beloved Vixter we get a call from my SIL who says she took all the kids to the beauty parlor and the Vixter had an allergic to "something" and could she have a Benedryl?  

Well when we got to the Vixter and hour and a half later her face was puffed up like it was when the yellow jacket stung her last fall... her right eye swollen almost competely closed and the bruise on her cheek from when she was hit by the golf club in gym on Thursday (I mentioned that, right?) had changed from a slight purplish shadow to a huge green, yellow and purple mark on her swollen right cheek...she looked like the loser of a prize fight.

I stuck a couple of more Benedryl in her, put a cold face cloth over her eye and we soldiered on as her cousin had been invited back for a sleepover and they were determined to have it.

So back to our house where the girls had a lovely time giggling and laughing all night then in the morning a race to get the Cousin back home in time for her soccer game and the Vixter & I to church in time for her choir singing and my sunday school teaching and then we raced home changed clothes and raced out to the local minor league baseball stadium to see the Long Island Ducks play the Camden Sharks.....the first time we were ever at the stadium and we had a great time.

Especially as the Ducks won 7 - 3 and we got to see a home run, a player steal 2nd AND 3rd, a couple of nifty double plays  and there were plenty of popup fouls to the stands to make everyone grab their gloves and hope to catch one.

Then back home where the Vixter did some homework  before we three went bicycle hunting for the Vixter

She and I had seen one she liked Friday night but didn't want to buy without Vixdad's ok... of course they were out of it  in all the stores by Sunday late afternoon when we got there so failure... the search will go on.

Then home for a hasty dinner and then to deliver her to her church youth group.  and THAT"S why I was E & T all weekend!

PS The Vixter's face is much better today
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 08:24:40 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up