Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HOO AND RAY  (Read 17566 times)

FJL

Re:HOO AND RAY
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2006, 07:32:41 AM »

Favorite comedy team would be the Smothers Brothers.  Lots of great routines with bite; they did a really sick riff on "The Impossible Dream" which included such silly moments as "Lovely courageous Joan of Arc, through forty days and forty nights of rain"  and also the IIRC very controversial line "In fighting for what they believe in, some people have not only given up their lives, but even given up their time."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2006, 07:34:41 AM »

TARANTULA most definitely IS my favorite of the sci-fi bug pictures of the 1950s, and a DVD can't come fast enough for me. I'm guessing it'll get the full frame treatment here, however.

I've lived with the full frame videotape for so many years that I'm used to it looking that way, so I know I'll buy it regardless of the aspect ratio on the disc.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2006, 07:36:18 AM »

Vixmom, so glad the vixter is OK now!

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2006, 07:36:22 AM »

I adore the SMothers Brothers of the more modern comedy teams. I still have many of their albums on LP, and I will occasionally pull one of them out and listen to it. I was a big, big, fan during their heyday in the 1960s. I was a member of their fan club, the only such club I've ever belonged to.

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2006, 07:45:28 AM »

I love Penny Singleton and Arthur Lake as Blondie and Dagwood in the series of 15 or 20 movies that they made together.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2006, 07:49:38 AM »

Wow, Deb/Vixmom, you had quite the time. All we did was transfer some tapes to CD, have Chinese dinner out at our favorite spot (The Cottage on 16th Street and Irving Place), I went to the Bodies exhibit at South Street Seaport on Saturday and on Sunday we took a walk so we could be in the beautiful weather and then we had a Mapp and Lucia marathon watching all six episodes in Series Two. Calm compared to you.

Glad to hear the Vixter is on the mend. It must have been a shock to see her face like that.

The Bodies exhibit was OK but it was also a little wierd. I wasn't grossed out but every so often the thought that these are real bodies just jumped into my thoughts. I didn't know this but there was some controversy over where the bodies were obtained. Apparently all the specimens are Asian. There are disclaimers all over the place that the bodies were obtained legally and treated with the utmost respect and dignity but there were comments in the guestbooks saying things like "stop stealing bodies from China" and questions like "why are all these bodies Asian and where are the women"

Warning graphic description ahead**********************

There was a female specimen who was pregnant when she died and the body (bodies) was preserved with the fetus still in the womb. It was difficult to look at that particular exhibit. The entire room with fetuses in various stages of development was hard to take. The disclaimers were again all over saying that none of the specimens were obtained illegally nor were they aborted. The curators did give you a chance, if you didn't want to pass through that room, to leave through another exit. There was a big sign telling you to pause and think before going through the last room because of the nature of the exhibit and it pointed to a door which took you to the end. Quite a few people took that route out.

We had lunch at South Street Seaport afterwards and then home with a stop at the grocery store.

We had Tuna Glop for dinner last night only it became Chicken Glop. I used chicken instead of tuna and added frozen peas and carrots. It was just as good as TG. We even have some left over for lunch this week.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 07:50:17 AM by Ben »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2006, 08:06:37 AM »

Actually, Excalibur is a fairly traditional version of the Arthurian myth...strongly influenced by Mallory, I believe.  I like the movie very much, except the Search for the Grail section gets a bit tedious.  

I have theories as to why...with the exception of Camelot, the Musical...the Arthur myth has not been more successfully exploited by movies...It just does not seem to be a subject matter that the movies have gone to the well to all that many times.  

I think partly it is because it is a "dying fall", which is why it is a great story to me...but tough to graft a Hollywood happy ending on for the studios.  

But I think the biggest problem is that Arthur just always comes off looking like a complying cuckold...a very tough position for a protagonist  to overcome.  Also if you read the traditional legends, after his early adventures...sword in the stone and all that...Arthur's central position in the tales somewhat fades in the background once he becomes king.  He comes on strong at the finish, but he has not second act...which spells doom for so many scripts in Hollywood.

There are authors whose alternative versions of Arthur, departing from Mallory and Tennyson, and embracing the legends' far more interestng Celtic and pagan origins, devoid of all  that sanctimonious Chritstianity, have captured much more interesting portraits of Arthur --things like Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley or Firelord by Parke Godwin or The Great Captains and The Green Man by Henry Treece.

It's a subject I find fascinating...having about three bookshelves full of Arthurian related material.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2006, 08:14:54 AM »

Ben, thanks for the Titanic article, even if I'm not TCB.  :)

Jane

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »

Vixmom how on earth did the Vixter stay awake with all that Benadryl in her!!  I would have been out after the first dose. ;D

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2006, 08:30:46 AM »

Vixmom how on earth did the Vixter stay awake with all that Benadryl in her!!  I would have been out after the first dose. ;D

She only had one tablet at a time on Saturday, but yesterday morning I gave her two and that's when the swelling really came down.  She is such an energetic kid (as you may recall) it takes a lot more than a couple of Benedryl, a swollen shut eye and a golf club to the noggin to slow her down!!

;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2006, 08:31:56 AM »

I like EXCALIBUR quite a lot. I haven't watched it in awhile, but the DVD was one of Warners' budget DVDs and could be gotten for a very cheap price.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2006, 08:32:40 AM »

Off to get cleaned up now so as to be ready for my lunch outing.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2006, 08:32:48 AM »

Yikes, DR Vixmom, I hope today isn't spring picture day at school!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2006, 08:33:31 AM »

Why Wheeler and Woolsey of course. Their best routines are when they are singing and dancing with Dorothy Lee.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2006, 08:34:11 AM »

Glad Li'l Vixter isn't all puffed up anymore. And I enjoyed your description of the ball game.

vixmom

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2006, 08:36:36 AM »

The Bodies exhibit was OK but it was also a little wierd. I wasn't grossed out but every so often the thought that these are real bodies just jumped into my thoughts. I didn't know this but there was some controversy over where the bodies were obtained. Apparently all the specimens are Asian. There are disclaimers all over the place that the bodies were obtained legally and treated with the utmost respect and dignity

I was thinking about this when I went to the link you provided last Friday.  I wouild have been happier to think that they were all plexiglass replicas.... I have always said that when I died I was willing my body to science but this exhibit has caused me to have second thoughts... I mean how respectful and dignified is it to have half your skin removed and be posed playing basketball in the nude for people to gawk at?

That said... I admit I still have a curiosty to see the exhibit, although I know I won't.

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2006, 08:38:03 AM »

Yikes, DR Vixmom, I hope today isn't spring picture day at school!

We think alike  Ginny!! Vixdad though t I was heartless when the first thing I said upon seeing her was "Please tell me Spring pictures aren't Monday"  :D

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2006, 08:40:32 AM »

True Pogue, I always found the story in CAMELOT unsatisfying, because you get introduced to Arthur early on, and your sympathies lie with him. Lancelot is more one-dimensional as a matter of course, so it is hard to feel a ton of sympathy for him, and by extension Guinevere. It is difficult to wean onself from the wish that the character you like more ends up with the girl.

And when one thinks further, it is a shame that romantic shenanigans play such a role in destroying the kingdom. But the greater point does resonate: that the kingdom by its nature wasn't going to last but a brief shining moment regardless.

I surmise.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2006, 08:47:41 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BELATED BIRTHDAY GREETINGS TO DR DANISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/move]

DrCharlesPogue, I once read John Steinbeck's retelling of Mallory, which he did not live to finish.  I liked it very much, and cannot recall its title.  I believe it was published around 1970 or so.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 08:48:45 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2006, 08:53:38 AM »

Steinbeck's incompleted rewrite was titled "The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights" and published in 1982.  I guess my edition is from my Drama Book Shop days.  I knew I'd had the book for a while, but I thought it was earlier.  Oy!

TOD:
Burns and Allen
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2006, 08:53:39 AM »

YIKES!! I just caught up on the Notes and realized I missed our dear, darling, delightful Danise's birthday!!!!

:-[

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY WISHES TO OUR DEAR, DARLING, DELIGHTFUL DANISE!!!!!!!!!!!   [/size] [/move]

Jane

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2006, 09:01:01 AM »

True Pogue, I always found the story in CAMELOT unsatisfying, because you get introduced to Arthur early on, and your sympathies lie with him. Lancelot is more one-dimensional as a matter of course, so it is hard to feel a ton of sympathy for him, and by extension Guinevere. It is difficult to wean onself from the wish that the character you like more ends up with the girl.

And why did she prefer Lancelot?  ??? I would have until I was sixteen, after that give me Arthur any day.

I will see if I can find a copy of Mists of Avalon today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2006, 09:14:42 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.   Groggy, but up.

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2006, 09:24:16 AM »

DR Jane - if I hadn't given mine to the booksale in March, I'd send it to you!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2006, 09:26:02 AM »

And why did she prefer Lancelot?  ??? I would have until I was sixteen, after that give me Arthur any day.

Well, in CAMELOT at least, she didn't at first. Rather despised his cockiness and assuredness as a matter of fact. His nobility and purity of spirit in bringing the dead knight back to life helped her to see him in a different light. Both try to fight their feelings of attraction but eventually give in to them though knowing they're wrong and somewhat damning themselves in the process. (Ah, the head and the heart sometimes fight horrendous battles within some of us.) And since Arthur loves them both, he can understand their mutual attraction and resigns himself to it never losing his love for either of them.

I don't know. The story felt more adult and true to me that the "hero" didn't end up with the girl but didn't retreat into hatred and bitterness because of their weakness.

Wasn't Gueniverre a teenager when she and Arthur married? Haven't read T.H. White in decades, but she was very young, I think.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2006, 09:29:10 AM »

Good morning, gang!

TOD - Marx Brothers, hands down. Lots of great scenes.

I also LOVE the old Carl Reiner/Mel Brooks 2000 YEAR OLD MAN, and some of the other bits from that album.

Martin and Lewis - I was in LOVE with Jerry Lewis when I was a little girl, through my exposure to those movies. I think maybe that's what makes me love Jim Carrey's work so much...

Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams.
Burns and Allen.
Lucy and Ethel.
Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder!! in STIR CRAZY and SILVER STREAK!!!
PennyO

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2006, 09:29:13 AM »

Comedy teams:

Abbott & Costello, of course....Who's on First?  

Several years ago, I was involved in a concert fundraiser for a local big band and they did an evening of big band music, swing songs and other stuff...including the "Who's on First" skit.  My friend Chip and I got several published versions and compiled one quasi-complete version and performed it on that evening.  I had one little brain fart somewhere near the end, but it wasn't so bad that people would've noticed.  We were quite good, if I do say so myself. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2006, 09:30:56 AM »

Oh, I was Costello. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2006, 09:31:22 AM »

Now, to shower...then to work!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2006, 09:32:32 AM »

Bruce, I am glad you were able to speak on the telephone... tone of voice conveys a lot that an email can't. And the give and take of a live conversation can help to clear the air and heal the wound, get the other perspective, if one is onpen to it...
PennyO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up