Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS  (Read 17640 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2006, 07:48:33 AM »

Hoo and ray for Ann and Jed!  Our first haineshisway.com wedding!  How lovely.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2006, 07:49:11 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  GRADUATION CONGRATULATIONS TO DR SANDRA  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2006, 07:49:32 AM »

The Sherlock Holmes actor was/is named Mark Capri.  A Brit, but he's done a lot of shows out here - new to me, though.

Jed

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2006, 08:05:23 AM »

Glad to see that DF Ann posted the wonderful news this morning!  This all was initially intended to happen over Memorial Day weekend up in the San Juan Islands.  However, our plans for heading up there have slowly fallen through, so I had to come up with Plan B.  As we were talking about other possible weekend destinations over our IHOP dinner (no, sadly, that wasn't really planned as a pre-proposal dinner), none of our other options seemed quite "right" for busting out the ring.  So I then decided, why wait?  We stopped back by our apartment to grab our jackets (and so I could put the ring in my pocket) and headed for the waterfront.  The rest, well, as Ann said, it involved a lot of sqealing and jumping on her part, and a big doofy grin for me. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2006, 08:12:58 AM »

Wonderful, wonderful news from DRs Jed and Ann.

Best wishes to you both!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 08:16:40 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]There were bells...[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]...on the hill....[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]....but they never heard them ringing....[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]No, they never heard them at all.......[/move][/i]

Congratulations, Ann and Jed!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 08:22:55 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 08:22:50 AM »

Thursday morning greetings from rainy, cold SW Ohio.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 08:24:20 AM »

And an Oakland CA greeting back at you -- where it's vaguely coolish after early morning hours of uncustomary stillness in the air.

We're having a May heat wave, of sorts....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 08:25:35 AM »

I need to head down now and get cleaned up for lunch with some friends.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 08:31:54 AM »

The best Sherlock Holmes ever is Jeremy Brett in the series he did for Granada TV, he captures all of Holmes eccentricity, mercurialness, and is not, at times, to make him thoroughly dislikeable.  A wonderful dangerous performance.  Unofrtunately, in the later series, Jeremy is sick and the medicine he is on bloats him up.

When I worked with him in Crucifer of Blood at the Ahmanson, where he played Watson to Charlton Heston's Holmes, Brett was just as good a Watson as he was a Homes. He said: Over in England, I always get these weight of the Empire roles; it's so nice to come here and play Winnie-the-Pooh, which is exactly how I'm playing Watson.

My favourite Holmes movies are my own HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES starring Ian Richardson, aformidable Holmes in his own right. and THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES with the great Basil Rathbone.  Christopher Plummer makes a good Holmes in MURDER BY DECREE and James Mason a very nice, if elderly, Watson. "You mashed my pea."

For films that sort of send the character up, I would have to pick Billy Wilder's THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, which also has maybe my favourite film score by the astounding Miklos Rozsa.

Favourite Holmes plays would be my own THE EBONY APE, a Sherlock Holmes Tales of Victorian Horror & Bizarre Mystery...The plot is an original concoction of my own borrowing from the original stories the Speckled Band, The Creeping Man, The Devil's Foot...with sprinklings from several others.  I'm also very fond of THE CRUCIFER OF BLOOD by Paul Giovanni.

Of the original tales, I like the HOUND; SIGN OF FOUR; THE DISAPPERANCE OF LADY FRANCES CARFAX; CHARLES AUGUSTUS MILVERTON; THE PROBLEM OF THOR BRIDGE; THE DEVIL'S FOOT...I'm probably missing a few.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2006, 08:34:21 AM »

Good morning everyone!  

~~~~WONDERFUL NEWS ALERT~~~~

Well, I can now offically say that a real live HHW wedding will actually be taking place!  Last night former DB, now DF Jed took me out for a romantic dinner at IHOP  (for us, it was perfect) and then took me along the Tacoma waterfront, out on the pier, and slipped a ring on my finger.  I, who am not normally prone to girlish behavoir, confess that I spent the first minute or so jumping up and down and making squeaking noises before managing to accept.  
For those who might be interested, the ring is GORGEOUS.  Very simple white gold setting, beautiful round cut diamond, just under a half carat, and very VERY sparkly.  I dreamt about announcing it to people all night, and woke up half sure that the whole proposal had been a dream of mine.  But it's better than a dream!  (Oh, a Bells are Ringing reference :) )

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU BOTH!!!  CONGRATULATIONS!!  I will be smiling all day now :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2006, 08:35:14 AM »

DR MattH, re: LOST, I can't remember. What was the part that had you jumping out of your seat?

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2006, 08:37:57 AM »

Re: last night's IDOL.

I wasn't unhappy with Chris getting voting off (since katharine is my favorite). But i think it doesn't bode well for the competition.  IMO even though Elliot might sound good, he does not (to me) have the star quality.

It also really bugged me how shocked Chris was at getting voted off. Even if he was the favorite (with taylor), I thought he looked arrogant the way he just couldn't believe it was him. Geez, there were only 4 left, and one person had to go. I truly thought it could have been anybody.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2006, 08:40:32 AM »

Congratulations to DRS Jed and Ann!

Congratulations to DR Sandra.

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2006, 08:42:08 AM »

Well, I managed to sort of solve the problem re: the express mail last night. But it is still pretty important that it arrives. But at least now if it only arrives today or tomorrow or Saturday it's not life or death.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2006, 08:43:31 AM »

Thanks Maria.  After loads of allergy eye drops and a Benadryl last night, the swelling is about half way down and my vision isn’t so blurry.  I was still a big groggy from the Benadryl until I read Ann & Jed’s exciting news-woke me right up. :D

Bruce, lovely photo of Jessica

Jane

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2006, 08:44:03 AM »

Good news Jennifer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2006, 08:44:23 AM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC, then to pick up the Deceit masters, then I shall return to do much work here.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2006, 08:45:34 AM »

RE: last night's TAR.

I'm happy the two most worth teams made it through to the finals. I really hope that one of them wins.

I wasn't sure who I wanted to be eliminated (mojo or ray/yolanda). I've really been disliking mojo lately. But throughout the whole series they have been stronger than ray and yolanda.

It's weird because for about 2 episodes ray and yolanda were extremely annoying. they were bickering and being so mean to each other. But they do seem to have good hearts. And they have been really sweet the last 2 episodes. I think it would be nice if they got the money. However, I always gravitate towards the more worthy.

Ray and yolanda have come in last in most shows. And every time they are bunched, they cannot come out ahead. I would be pretty surprised if they were able to win. Although anything can happen.

It was nice how yo gave the hippies pants. And nice that the frats gave them shoes.

All in all a good episode.

I think next week is 2 hours!

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2006, 08:53:08 AM »

Good news Jennifer.

Well it is a relief. But it would still be extremely bad if this envelope got lost.

Hey DR Jane, feel better vibes. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jane

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2006, 09:08:43 AM »

Thanks, I expect to be back to normal by tomorrow.  

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2006, 09:10:36 AM »

Btw does anyone know anything about this IDOL news?

re: the contestant voted out last night.

Apparently Ryan said on his morning radio gig that some big group will offer him the lead.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2006, 09:14:37 AM »

RE: last night's TAR.

I'm happy the two most worth teams made it through to the finals. I really hope that one of them wins.

I wasn't sure who I wanted to be eliminated (mojo or ray/yolanda). I've really been disliking mojo lately. But throughout the whole series they have been stronger than ray and yolanda.

It's weird because for about 2 episodes ray and yolanda were extremely annoying. they were bickering and being so mean to each other. But they do seem to have good hearts. And they have been really sweet the last 2 episodes. I think it would be nice if they got the money. However, I always gravitate towards the more worthy.

Ray and yolanda have come in last in most shows. And every time they are bunched, they cannot come out ahead. I would be pretty surprised if they were able to win. Although anything can happen.

It was nice how yo gave the hippies pants. And nice that the frats gave them shoes.

All in all a good episode.

I think next week is 2 hours!

And the second hour conflicts with LOST!  I'm gonna have to think out my viewing/recording options for this.

Aside from the way they awarded the Pit Stop prize last night (coming in first meant nothing!), I was very happy with the results of the episode.  It's now anybody's contest to win and while I'll continue to root for the hippies, I could be happy with any of the three teams.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2006, 09:15:03 AM »

Btw does anyone know anything about this IDOL news?

re: the contestant voted out last night.

Apparently Ryan said on his morning radio gig that some big group will offer him the lead.

It may be old news.  In the second or third week of competition, Chris sang a song by one of his favorite groups.  That group had just lost its lead singer, and they offered Chris a job....but he had the "Idol" competition.

I'm guessing they've renewed their offer.  It's a heavy metal gig...IDEAL for Chris.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 09:15:37 AM by Ron Pulliam »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2006, 09:16:21 AM »

Ye're oop leht, laddie. I'm on me way to me wee bed now... a kiss fer ye.

Ye did a bang up Job there lassie!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2006, 09:17:38 AM »

DR MattH, re: LOST, I can't remember. What was the part that had you jumping out of your seat?

spoiler - - - - - - -

The moment as the camera moved in and Libby spit up blood. I thought she was dead, and I jumped in my chair when she did that.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2006, 09:18:14 AM »

I think we went to Sherlock Homes museum some years ago.  We once stayed at the Sherlcok Holmes Hotel which is at hisaddress on Baker Street.  Quite  nice little place, actually.

Haines is a better place, though, with better people.  Some very lovely ones, in fact!

Aside from putting the camel to bed and walking on Baker Street, life can be rather interesting....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2006, 09:23:14 AM »

Yes, I have no doubt Chris is better off NOT winning IDOL. IDOL is more pop than rock oriented, and it'll be easier for him to settle in with a group.

I'm thinking that Chris' fans, if they continue to watch and vote, will swing over to Elliott. No way in the world they'd vote for Taylor, and his fans probably wouldn't be a smooth fit with Katharine's fan base either. So, Elliott is the default choice for them.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2006, 09:28:27 AM »

*******CONGRATULATIONS, DRs ANN AND JED!!!*******

What lovely, happy news! Al the very, very, very (that's THREE verry-s) best to you both!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2006, 09:38:30 AM »

Can't stay long, but must mention (as I did a few weeks ago) re the TOD that the popular medical "mystery" series HOUSE was inspired by Sherlock Holmes. Watch the way Dr. House - a brilliant, curmudgeonly drug addict -  arrives at his various diagnoses/solutions... And his Watson-like sidekick is named Wilson. (Althought the way the Wilson character has evolved has moved him away from the Watson mould.)
Ironically, Conan Doyle was inspired by Dr. Joseph Bell in his creation of Holmes. So the story has come full circle.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 09:40:53 AM by Maria »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up