Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS  (Read 17642 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2006, 09:41:44 AM »

Well, I can now offically say that a real live HHW wedding will actually be taking place!  Last night former DB, now DF Jed took me out for a romantic dinner at IHOP  (for us, it was perfect) and then took me along the Tacoma waterfront, out on the pier, and slipped a ring on my finger.  I, who am not normally prone to girlish behavoir, confess that I spent the first minute or so jumping up and down and making squeaking noises before managing to accept.  
For those who might be interested, the ring is GORGEOUS.  Very simple white gold setting, beautiful round cut diamond, just under a half carat, and very VERY sparkly.  I dreamt about announcing it to people all night, and woke up half sure that the whole proposal had been a dream of mine.  But it's better than a dream!  (Oh, a Bells are Ringing reference :) )

DRAnn!  I am so happy for you and DRJed!  I hope you'll be very happy and plan a honeymoon visit east to let the East Coast  membership of the most popular site on the internet toast you in person.

I do, of course, have some avuncular advice from what I've learned from my VCR:  Elizabeth Browning was right:  "A marriage is more than the swelling of the organ and the coming of the bride."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2006, 10:03:31 AM »

CONGRATS TO DRS ANN AND JED!!!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2006, 10:17:43 AM »

In the spirit of a line from "A Room With A View", spoken out in a field by actor Julian Sand, crying out to the universe:  "BEAUTY!"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2006, 10:39:37 AM »

Re: what to watch next wednesday night.

Oh for me there is no contest between TAR and LOST, especially since LOST is not the season finale. I almost always tape LOST (usually i'm out on wed nights). But it takes much more concentration than TAR, so i like having it on tape.

Plus it is the TAR finale! Can't wait.

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »

RE: American Idol.

I'm not sure if Chris' fans will simply not vote. Or my guess is many will just vote for their second favorite. I really could not say who that would be.  But I think it will be even (i don't think that his fans will make the difference).

The thing i find so odd is how the judges can manipulate the voters. Does it drive anybody else crazy?  Elliot can be the bottom 2 so many times. And then he can have a great night and the judges can rave over him and he can be top 2 (with only 4 left). How is this possible? How can you be the least popular with many left, and be the 2nd most popular with only 4 left???

I really think it is the judges.

Oh and what was with paula last night. After Chris lost she looked like she had her head in her hands and was crying.

What did the judges think would happen? They didn't praise chris and yet they expected him to move on?

I guess they were fully expecting katharine to go. But frankly the fact that she didn't bodes very well for her. If she were to have a great night next week (and have the judges compliment her - the way they did a few weeks ago proclaiming she reminded them of Kelly Clarkson) then i think she could go very far.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2006, 10:49:38 AM »

The only Sherlock Holmes films I have seen are the Universal's from the 40s which I love as a kid. PEARL OF DEATH and is probably my favorite.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2006, 10:50:23 AM »

I was very pleased with the outcome of last nights TAR, as well.

And whoever wins...it will be OK!

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2006, 10:50:59 AM »

I still miss the Gaghan family.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2006, 10:53:26 AM »

Good morning everyone!  

~~~~WONDERFUL NEWS ALERT~~~~

Well, I can now offically say that a real live HHW wedding will actually be taking place!  Last night former DB, now DF Jed took me out for a romantic dinner at IHOP  (for us, it was perfect) and then took me along the Tacoma waterfront, out on the pier, and slipped a ring on my finger.  I, who am not normally prone to girlish behavoir, confess that I spent the first minute or so jumping up and down and making squeaking noises before managing to accept.  
For those who might be interested, the ring is GORGEOUS.  Very simple white gold setting, beautiful round cut diamond, just under a half carat, and very VERY sparkly.  I dreamt about announcing it to people all night, and woke up half sure that the whole proposal had been a dream of mine.  But it's better than a dream!  (Oh, a Bells are Ringing reference :) )

CONGRATULATIONS ANN AND JED!!!!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2006, 11:15:06 AM »

Oh, most wondrous love, that compels commitment! DR's Ann and Jed, how happy I am for you both, and how I wish you fulfillment and completion in your devotion to each other! (I am in the mode, kidz - my nephew gets married to his soul mate next week...)

AND - Congratulations to Sandra for her accomplishment!

(a propos of nothing... I already miss my Welsh/Scottish hybrid... I wandered around the garden all day yesterday, clipping and weeding, and saying Ach, therre ye go! and like that...)
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2006, 11:17:42 AM »

So... off I go into my day. Still waiting for the alleged 'sun' to make its appearance. OH! Hey! I didn't tell you - I had raccoons last night!!! two young 'uns - heard 'em clunking around on my deck at about 2 am, checking out the wood rick for the peanuts my jays and chipmunks hid there... so I got the cat food, scared the bejesus outa them when I opened the bedroom door to fill their dish - then, watched with my nose pressed to the glass for a good half hour! Oh, lovely little forest critters!!! How happy they do make me!
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2006, 11:24:26 AM »

RE: American Idol.

I'm not sure if Chris' fans will simply not vote. Or my guess is many will just vote for their second favorite. I really could not say who that would be.  But I think it will be even (i don't think that his fans will make the difference).

The thing i find so odd is how the judges can manipulate the voters. Does it drive anybody else crazy?  Elliot can be the bottom 2 so many times. And then he can have a great night and the judges can rave over him and he can be top 2 (with only 4 left). How is this possible? How can you be the least popular with many left, and be the 2nd most popular with only 4 left???

Elliott's fans have caught on to what has been plaguing this show for so many years....rabid fans voting hundreds of times each week for someone who isn't worthy of remaining on the show.

Remember John Stevens?  NEVER should have lasted as long as he did.  Ditto Scott Savol.

Elliott has gotten far more praise than Katherine or Taylor -- routinely -- throughout the competition from all three judges.

Simon sometimes voices his concern over Elliott's plight, but I've always found thos concerns unfounded because Elliott was so much better than the other singers.

He is the best talent on the show, bar none.

Last night was Chris' second time in the bottom group...and how many was it for Katherine?  She's been in the bottom several times...certainly no fewer times than Elliott.

Only Taylor has NEVER been in the bottom group.

Both Katherine and Taylor are going to have to step it up enormously next week 'cause neither can afford Elliott to have three superb songs to their one or none.

It's down to performance...and Kat and Taylor are no sure things.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 11:27:39 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »

I was very pleased with the outcome of last nights TAR, as well.

And whoever wins...it will be OK!

Wow, I am shocked.  You will be okay if the frats win?  That is so unlike you! :)

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2006, 11:49:35 AM »

I still miss the Gaghan family.

Gag! :)

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2006, 11:54:35 AM »

Re: IDOL and DR RonP's comments.

I think next weeks depends on what the judges say about the performances.  If they really praise any singer, I think that singer will stay.

RE: Elliot.  When you say he's the best talent on the show, are you going purely by voice?  Because a)to me a popstar has to have that IT factor as well, and b)most of the people watching cannot tell if someone is singing a wrong note or completely on pitch.

I think the winner should have the whole package. And right now to me it seems like taylor has it in the bag.  I actually liked him during the auditions a lot more. But he seems to be immensely popular.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 11:56:48 AM by Jennifer »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2006, 11:56:36 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~GRADUATION CONGRATULATIONS TO DR SANDRA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]MAY YOUR FUTURE BE FULL OF EXCITING, FUFILLING  AND LUCRATIVE  EXPERIENCES[/move]

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]and lots of Cherry Coke!!![/move]
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2006, 12:02:42 PM »

For Dear Readers Ann and Jed

I am so happy for both of you!  I wish you joy and happiness and health and wealth!!!!!

He is now to be among you at the calling of your hearts,
 Rest assured this troubador is acting on His part,
 The union of your spirits here has caused Him to remain,

For whenever two or more of you are gathered in His name

There is love, there is love. . .

Well, a man shall leave his mother and a woman leave her home,

They shall travel on to where the two shall be as one.

As it was in the Beginning is now until the End,

Woman draws her life from man and gives it back again.

And there is love, There is love. . .

Well, then what's to be the reason for becoming man and wife?

Is it love that brings you here or love that brings you life?

For if loving is the answer, then who's the giving for?

Do you believe in something that you've never seen before?

Oh there is love, oh there is love. . .

Oh the marriage of your spirits here has caused him to remain,

For whenever two or more of you are gathered in His name,

There is love, Oh there is love. . . . . . . . .

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2006, 12:21:46 PM »

Wow, I am shocked.  You will be okay if the frats win?  That is so unlike you! :)

I like the frats! They are nice and very funny. Actually, all 3 remaining teams are nice...so I am happy!

vixmom

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2006, 12:28:59 PM »

Don't sleep in the subway darlin'....

NEW YORK - A 23-year-old with a foot fetish has admitted he tried to kiss, fondle and lick the legs and toes of more than 70 women on the New York subway over the last three years, prosecutors said Wednesday.

In a handwritten confession to police released by the Manhattan district attorney's office, Joseph Weir said his aim was "to make them laugh and smile and open to talk to me."

Weir, who was arrested late last week after attacking a woman on a subway in lower Manhattan, is charged with forcible touching, sex abuse and unlawful imprisonment — the latter charge referring to his habit of grabbing his victims' legs and not letting go.

He faces up to a year in jail if convicted and has been released on $6,000 bail until a court hearing on June 26.

In a rambling confession peppered with grammatical errors, Weir, who lives in Brooklyn, detailed how he accosted the women while riding the subways between Manhattan and the borough of Queens.

"I get on my knees, bow, grab their feet, kiss them. I grab their hand and tell them 'You're so beautiful. I'm not worthy,'" he wrote. "I do not give me real name. If they ask I will tell them my name is Anthony, Jason or Careem."

Weir said his motivation was to get to know the women, but he recalled that often they would move away when he tried to "taste and touch them."

"Some women had kick(ed) me and screamed," he wrote. "I've done this to about 70 women, mostly black."

Prosecutors said dozens of women had started to come forward to identify Weir, who told detectives in his confession that he lived with his parents and two sisters.

"I am currently unemployed," he wrote, adding that he had been fired from his previous job with a sightseeing company.

In his confession, Weir apologized to his victims, saying: "I don't mean to hurt no body and I am sorry."

vixmom

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2006, 12:31:46 PM »

A graduation story.... or not

WHITEWATER, Wis. - Despite his 12 years as an undergraduate student, Johnny Lechner realized something was missing from his academic record: he’d never studied abroad.

And so, the 29-year-old known as the "perpetual student," who had been expected to finally graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, withdrew his application for graduation Monday, five days before commencement.

“I realized that if I went one more year, I could study abroad,” Lechner said. “That’s one thing I haven’t done.”

Lechner’s extended academic career has made him a celebrity of sorts. His never-ending student life has been featured in newspapers and on network television shows, not to mention campus publications across the nation.

By this spring he had completed 234 college credits, or about 100 more than needed to graduate, and was taking seven more.

That qualified him for the so-called “slacker tax,” instituted this school year by the UW Board of Regents to help cover the state subsidy for students who stay long past the usual four of five years to earn an undergraduate degree.

It calls for students who exceed 165 total credit hours or 30 more than their degree programs require — whichever is higher — to pay double tuition.

Lechner said he didn’t start out to be a long-term student, but it just developed once he realized how much fun he was having at college.

Had he graduated, he would have earned a liberal studies degree in education, communications, theater, health and women’s studies.

Michelle Eigenberger, an editor at The Royal Purple, said Lechner may have achieved celebrity status, but most students are tired of it.

“It’s getting old,” she said. “For the sanity of the rest of the campus, we want him to get out of here.”

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2006, 12:36:13 PM »

Guess They'll Be Outlawing PTA Bake Sales

SKOWHEGAN, Maine - A 43-year-old woman is charged with helping her daughter and two other teenage girls bake cookies laced with a laxative that were then given to a teacher.

The cookies, which were baked with Ex-Lax, were left on the teacher's desk on April 10 with a note saying, "We made these cookies just for you, hope you enjoy them."

According to a police affidavit, Hunt told the girls how to crush the laxative pills and mix them in with the cookie batter. The girls, who are 13 and 14, used an entire box of pills, the affidavit says.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:52:25 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2006, 12:43:50 PM »

BERLIN - President Bush told a German newspaper his best moment in more than five years in office was catching a big perch in his own lake.

"You know, I've experienced many great moments, and it's hard to name the best," Bush told weekly Bild am Sonntag when asked about his high point since becoming president in January 2001.

"I would say the best moment of all was when I caught a 7.5-pound perch in my lake," he told the newspaper in an interview published Sunday.

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2006, 12:50:59 PM »

I Wonder What She's Getting for Mother's Day
HANOVER, Pa. - A 13-year-old boy told police his mother required him to do his homework first thing when he got off the school bus, then smoked marijuana with him as a reward.

The boy's mother said she had been smoking marijuana with him since he was 11, usually as a reward, according to court documents.

The interviews came after police executed a search warrant at the woman's home during the weekend and seized marijuana, an array of drug paraphernalia and $600 in cash that she said belonged to a drug dealer, court documents said.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2006, 12:51:19 PM »

Re: IDOL and DR RonP's comments.

I think next weeks depends on what the judges say about the performances.  If they really praise any singer, I think that singer will stay.

RE: Elliot.  When you say he's the best talent on the show, are you going purely by voice?  Because a)to me a popstar has to have that IT factor as well, and b)most of the people watching cannot tell if someone is singing a wrong note or completely on pitch.

I think the winner should have the whole package. And right now to me it seems like taylor has it in the bag.  I actually liked him during the auditions a lot more. But he seems to be immensely popular.

I'm with Simon on Taylor -- every time he goes into his "schtick" his performance comes off as some hideous joke.  He's wriggly dancing is appalling, actually.  I know folks "enjoy" the package now...but frankly, Taylor does not seem capable of singing a song without squatting several times and squeezing his thighs together to compress his gonads.  Last night's reprise of "Jailhouse Rock" was embarrassing to watch, frankly...and I suspect folks were enjoying it for the (IMO) wrong reason.  They like it when folks make fools of themselves, apparently.

Katherine usually hits some atrocious notes that nearly put me into a seizure.  Simon calls it "shrieky"...and that's how it seems to me, too.

I'm sorry DR Jennifer feels that "most of the people watching cannot tell if someone is singing a wrong note or completely on pitch."  That's truly a shame, especially considering the fact that most people who vote on these shows do not follow up by supporting the singers when they put out albums.

I think auditions for the show are proof we live on a continent full of tone-deaf, clueless and ridiculously "Slow" individuals who delude themselves into thinking they, too, can be great singers.

I'm not sure what "whole package" DR Jennifer feels Taylor or Katherine possess that Elliott does not....but consistency, quality vocals and on-pitch delivery are not their best traits -- and it is, after all, about the singing.

I'd like to know why Jennifer thinks Elliott lakes "IT".  I think Elliott has "IT" way over the rest.  Apparently, quite a few others do, as well.

He  has just as much stage presence and personality as anyone else on the show.  Add to that his vocal talent, natural charm and gracious demeanor and he's head-and-shoulders above the pack, IMO.

Check this out regarding whether he'll get any of Chris' fans votes .
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 02:34:03 PM by Ron Pulliam »

vixmom

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2006, 01:01:51 PM »

Some Graduation Jokes:

Different Degrees Of Graduates  

The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work?"

The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"

The graduate with a management degree asks, "How much will it cost?"

The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 01:14:17 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2006, 01:06:24 PM »

Linguistics for Academicians and Fellow Travelers  
The following list of phrases and their definitions might help you understand the mysterious language of science and medicine. These special phrases are also applicable to anyone working on a Ph.D. dissertation or academic paper anywhere!

"It has long been known"
... I didn't look up the original reference.

"A definite trend is evident"
... These data are practically meaningless.

"While it has not been possible to provide definite answers to the questions"
... An unsuccessful experiment, but I still hope to get it published.

"Three of the samples were chosen for detailed study"
... The other results didn't make any sense.

"Typical results are shown"
... This is the prettiest graph.

"These results will be in a subsequent report"
.. I might get around to this sometime, if pushed/funded.

"In my experience"
... once.

"In case after case"
... twice.

"In a series of cases"
.. thrice.

"It is believed that"
... I think.

"It is generally believed that"
... A couple of others think so, too.

"Correct within an order of magnitude"
.. Wrong.

"According to statistical analysis"
... Rumor has it.

"A statistically oriented projection of the significance of these findings"
... A wild guess.

"A careful analysis of obtainable data"
... Three pages of notes were obliterated when I knocked over a glass of pop.

It is clear that much additional work will be required before a complete understanding of this phenomenon occurs"
... I don't understand it.

"After additional study by my colleagues"
... They don't understand it either.

"Thanks are due to Joe Blotz for assistance with the experiment and to Cindy Adams for valuable discussions"
... Mr. Blotz did the work and Ms. Adams explained to me what it meant.

"A highly significant area for exploratory study"
... A totally useless topic selected by my committee.

"It is hoped that this study will stimulate further investigation in this field"
.. I quit.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 01:13:18 PM by vixmom »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2006, 01:21:16 PM »

Only had time to watch two of last night's shows since lunch ran so long this afternoon.

First up was BONES, an enjoyable mystery involving not only a soldier killed in Arlington Cemetery but also one killed over in Iraq.

Matt Battaglia guest starred as an Army captain who was being investigated. Always wonderful to see him on network TV.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2006, 01:23:15 PM »

I had meat loaf for lunch today.

Alert the media.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2006, 01:28:49 PM »

Last night's LAW & ORDER featured Tony winner Tonya Pinkins as a suspect in a murder which took place in a detective's apartment. The detective was played by THE SOPRANOS' Michael Imperioli. He returned to the role he played last season when he subbed for six episodes or so when Jesse Martin was filming RENT.

Good episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2006, 01:31:02 PM »

I still have CSI: NY from last night to view.

BTW, for those who might be recording SMALLVILLE tonight, my program guide says it's going to spill over a couple of minutes into the 9 o'clock hour. Better add a few minutes to your timer if you have to set it manually.

The NBC comedies tonight, which I'll be watching "live," are all running 40 minutes tonight.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up