Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TOWERING NOTES  (Read 17639 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE TOWERING NOTES
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2006, 09:27:33 AM »

We are having a heatwave.

FJL

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2006, 09:28:04 AM »

Saw Rebecca Luker's truly great show at Feinstein's at the Regency, a remarkable collection of songs by (or partially by) female songwriters, remarkably performed.    

BTW, I'd never seen anyone handle the going-off of a cell phone during a performance with such grace as Rebecca showed when that happened.  Shocking that people don't know to turn off their cell phones in an intimate cabaret setting.

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2006, 09:31:03 AM »

Oregon has been a bit warm this week hasn't it, DR Jane! Salem got to 93 degrees on Monday...how hot in Ashland?

FJL

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2006, 09:31:32 AM »

So nice to see both Rebecca Luker and her husband Danny Burstein triumphing simultaneously, Rebecca with well-deserved glowing notices for her new cabaret show and Danny with his well-deserved Tony nomination.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2006, 09:36:51 AM »

Same here.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2006, 09:37:32 AM »

So, did "Will and Grace" end last night? I went outside and did yardwark by lamplight.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2006, 09:41:13 AM »

A tropical heatwave?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2006, 09:42:15 AM »

I've never heard "Transfusion," MBarnum but I remember reading about Norvus in an interesting article someone wrote on the web.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2006, 09:43:06 AM »

There's a new cell phone wrinkle.  Now people don't have to turn them off - they can put them on "vibrate" - I've now sat near people on several recent occasions where they open their stupid cell phones to see who's vibrating them, and of course these cells all light up when they do so, which is almost as distracting as it ringing - and then some of these mongoloids TEXT MESSAGE their idiot pals while they're sitting there in the audience.  I kid you not, Virginia.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2006, 09:49:46 AM »

There's still good ol' fashioned irritants at the theater as well:

At last night's show a woman behind me apparently was asleep for a portion of the show. I know this because she woke up and said to her husband, "I was asleep." Then...

Husband: Hmm?
Woman: I was asleep!
Husband: What??
Woman: I WAS ASLEEP!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2006, 09:55:43 AM »

Titular!

Hehehehehe.

I bet you laugh at the word penal, too!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2006, 09:59:05 AM »

I've read this morning that THE DA VINCI CODE has received incredibly bad reviews in its Cannes press premier.  I guess I don't have to bother hurrying to read the book, now.

I'm enjoying the book much more than I expected.  It got a 4 star review this morning in the Post or News, and I'm looking forward to it.  I'm not a Catholic, so I find the premise possible ande the brouhaha quite funny.  But, then, they condemned BABY DOLL as well!  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2006, 10:01:50 AM »

So, did "Will and Grace" end last night? I went outside and did yardwark by lamplight.

No...that happens tomorrow night.  Last night's airings on NBC was filler "Will & Grace"...favorite episodes from years gone by.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2006, 10:02:59 AM »

Elliott is in third at dialidol.com, but admittedly, only two lines for each contestant were being monitored and text messaging isn't covered at all, so Elliott's still got a chance. Just a feeling I have that the judges (other than Paula) and producers would prefer a male-female face-off in the finals. Simon as much as told Elliott he wouldn't be around. I found that insulting and unfair. But then, if I were pulling for either of the others, I probably would have loved the comment.

He's in third at zabasearch.com, as well.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2006, 10:09:24 AM »

Hmmm..."Heatwave" by Martha and the Vandellas leapt to mind before "We're Having A Heatwave".  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2006, 10:11:08 AM »

Yardwark By Lamplight--that's a song title if I ever heard one.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2006, 10:11:33 AM »

Yes BABY DOLL was condemned, but both Carroll Baker AND Tennessee Williams survived.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2006, 10:14:32 AM »

There's a new cell phone wrinkle.  Now people don't have to turn them off - they can put them on "vibrate" - I've now sat near people on several recent occasions where they open their stupid cell phones to see who's vibrating them, and of course these cells all light up when they do so, which is almost as distracting as it ringing - and then some of these mongoloids TEXT MESSAGE their idiot pals while they're sitting there in the audience.  I kid you not, Virginia.

And there's that one irritating kid on All That Chat who posts his opinions of shows as he's sitting in the theatre watching them!
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2006, 10:18:02 AM »

Yes BABY DOLL was condemned, but both Carroll Baker AND Tennessee Williams survived.

THIS BABY DOLL WAS CONDEMNED--that starred Natalie Wood, right?
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2006, 10:20:46 AM »

I'm enjoying the book much more than I expected.  It got a 4 star review this morning in the Post or News, and I'm looking forward to it.  I'm not a Catholic, so I find the premise possible ande the brouhaha quite funny.  But, then, they condemned BABY DOLL as well!  

The Catholic League condemned EARTH VS THE SPIDER, as well. I just don't understand them...a June Kenney movie...condemned.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2006, 10:31:32 AM »

The Catholic League condemned EARTH VS THE SPIDER, as well. I just don't understand them...a June Kenney movie...condemned.

They should have condemned ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2006, 10:38:28 AM »

THIS BABY DOLL WAS CONDEMNED--that starred Natalie Wood, right?

Hehehe....Judith Crist once called Miss Wood:  "America's wind up doll....."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2006, 10:39:02 AM »

Was the Legion of Decency even aware of ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2006, 10:44:04 AM »

BTW, I'd never seen anyone handle the going-off of a cell phone during a performance with such grace as Rebecca showed when that happened.  Shocking that people don't know to turn off their cell phones in an intimate cabaret setting.

How did she handle it?

I remember being excrutiatingly embarrassed when I forgot to turn off my cellphone and it went off during the middle of Pastor's sermon one Sunday... and of course it was on the "loud" setting and of course it was lost at the bottom of my bag and of course I was sitting third pew center, right in front of the pulpit!  It seemed like hours before I could find the darn thing.   :-[

While I searched for it my Pastor kindly regaled the congregation with the tale of when he forgot and left his cell phone on and it went off in the middle of a wedding.

I always check my phone 2 or 3 times now to be sure it's off.!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2006, 10:49:22 AM »

I just don't understand the brouhaha with the Roman Catholic Church and the Da Vinci Code.  What part of "fiction" are they having trouble with?!

A couple of years ago National Treasure came out... was anyone protesting because the movie claimed there was a map on the back of the Declaration of Independence leading to treasure hidden by the founding fathers?

It's make-believe!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 10:50:28 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

FJL

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2006, 10:59:07 AM »

Vixmom - She basically said, with no annoyance in her voice, that she loves the song (it was from SECRET GARDEN) and really wanted us to hear it, and had her pianist start the song again from the intro.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2006, 11:12:03 AM »

I just don't understand the brouhaha with the Roman Catholic Church and the Da Vinci Code.  What part of "fiction" are they having trouble with?!

A couple of years ago National Treasure came out... was anyone protesting because the movie claimed there was a map on the back of the Declaration of Independence leading to treasure hidden by the founding fathers?

It's make-believe!

Religion ALWAYS brings out the worst in people

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2006, 11:17:30 AM »

For those TAR fans, CBS has moved it to Sunday night, before Cold Case and Without a Trace.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060517/ap_en_tv/tv_new_season;_ylt=AghPFDio9zQsLmzdOtzeekxxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 11:18:15 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2006, 11:19:14 AM »

As for my TAR predictions.  Well I don't think Ray and Yolanda will win. They just have not been consistently strong enough to come in first.

I will say:

1.Frats
2.Hippies
3. Ray/Yolanda

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2006, 11:22:38 AM »

No...that happens tomorrow night.  Last night's airings on NBC was filler "Will & Grace"...favorite episodes from years gone by.

Thanks, Ron. I saw it come on last night and assumed it was the finale.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up