Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TOWERING NOTES  (Read 17633 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TOWERING NOTES
« on: May 17, 2006, 12:19:59 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were both towering and an inferno, and now it is time for you to post until the towering cows come home.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 04:31:47 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE TOWERING NOTES
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 12:20:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: TITULAR!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 12:28:56 AM »

Was Titular the Roman Emperor after Claudius or was he the one before Tiberius?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:37:07 AM »

I was never good at history. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 12:37:19 AM »

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 03:37:33 AM »

One quick correction in today's notes. Ava Gardner was not in The Towering Inferno, (it was Jennofer Jones) but she was in City On Fire another all star disaster film that was shot in Montreal. They built a street to burn it down for the film's climax. And oh yes I was an extra in the film but it a very quick shot.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 04:00:34 AM »

Forgot that The Tony Nominaitons were out. (Really don't care) I am glad however that Judy Kaye was nominated. I saw her in the play and she was wonderful. I don't know about the other nominees but she really deserved the nomination.

Interesting The Caine Mutiny Court Marshall received only 1 nomination. It posted its closing notice right away. Did the producers really think multiple nomiantions would keep the show open? They probably would incure more loses.

Tarzan received 1 nomination (didn't know it opened) and Lestat only 2. Could this mean that they also will close soon?

Despite the millions I presume spent on pushing these two musicals for awards they basically walked away empty handed.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 04:04:38 AM »

AND A CONGRATULATION TO:

Steven Orick nominee for Jersey Boys Orchestrations.

who worked on BK's albums Petula Clark, Do I Hear a Waltz, Unsung Musical 2 & 3, Debbie Gravitte's Alen Menken & MGM albums, Judy Kaye's Diva by Diva, Helen Reddy, Shakespeare on Broadway.
Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 04:32:17 AM »

Good  morning elmore
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 04:32:36 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 04:34:58 AM »

I just stopped in to say hello, I must pack for my little trip to Des Moines - that's easy, something to wear in the car and a nice outfit I can wear to present in the morning at the seminar.  I'm on a panel, that's alot easier than presenting on my own.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 04:35:22 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 04:36:11 AM »

Have a good one everyone. I'm not taking my computer so I'll be e and t until tomorrow night.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 04:42:19 AM »

Good morning, all, and a special good morning to DR Cillaliz!  This is short since I'm heading off to have the few hairs left on my head cut, then I have a jaunt to Royland, followed by a trek to the Wall Street area for a meeting (UGH!!!!).

More to follow.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 04:44:53 AM »

I don't know about Lestat, our own Jose could speak to that point, but Disney won't be closing Tarzan any time soon. Even though it got mediocre reviews and one Tony nod it has a very big advance, enough to keep it running through the summer and into the fall. Remember that Aida also got mixed reviews and ended up running for four years, paying back the investment and turning a profit. I know that Tarzan cost much more but I think Tarzan will be at the Richard Rodgers for a long time.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 12:00:16 PM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 04:45:42 AM »

Royland, hmmm, a new distributor of "el cheapo" perhaps???  ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 04:52:32 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 04:52:05 AM »

Regarding the talk yesterday about the replacement Tony award and the fact that there was nothing, it turns out the award is only for leading roles so the Spelling Bee replacement wouldn't have been eligible anyway since Fogler won for Best Featured Actor.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 05:10:53 AM »

I think Court Marshall was one of Scarlett O'Hara's beaus, was he not?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 05:11:16 AM »

Hmmm....the Tony Awards are just around the corner!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 05:13:40 AM »

It sounds like there were lots of productive hours in the day yesterday for many of the DR's.

I answered the phone at the theatre last night and listened to an irate lady go on and on for several minutes about our obsolete website and why the hell don't we ever update it and what's the deal....when she finally stopped talking, I told her that the site she had bookmarked was a geocities site that we hadn't used for nearly five years, and that ALL of our advertising (including the brochure she had in her hand) pointed her to the CURRENT site, and she might try checking that.  Then she hung up....or maybe I did. :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 05:22:23 AM »

Titular!

Hehehehehe.

Rita: Well if you do all that, what do I do?

Rockwell: I will be vice president and secretary of Rita Marlowe Productions, but you will be the titular head of the company.

Rita (Miss Jayne Mansfield) then makes a sound that is almost humanly impossible....but is hilarious!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 05:23:03 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day:

What is your favorite (if any) Jayne Mansfield performance, and did you ever see her in person?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 05:23:49 AM »

And did you know that Mr Benjamin Kritzer's customer Corinne Calvet's mother invented Pyrex?  8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 05:25:22 AM by JRand55 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 05:47:18 AM »

And the word of the day is: TITULAR!
"Titular" is a song Kristen Chenoweth would have sung, had she been in The First Nudie Musical.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 06:50:46 AM »

One quick correction in today's notes. Ava Gardner was not in The Towering Inferno, (it was Jennofer Jones) but she was in City On Fire another all star disaster film that was shot in Montreal. They built a street to burn it down for the film's climax. And oh yes I was an extra in the film but it a very quick shot.

Maybe the TOWERING INFERNO DVD is so enhanced that you can see them filming EARTHQUAKE on the next lot over.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 07:03:01 AM »

I've read this morning that THE DA VINCI CODE has received incredibly bad reviews in its Cannes press premier.  I guess I don't have to bother hurrying to read the book, now.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 07:03:36 AM »

My BK question of the day:

During your early acting years (stage, screen and television) who were you the most excited to learn you would be working with?

And who was the biggest disappointment?

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 07:04:07 AM »

Re: American Idol last night.

I also think Taylor will definitely be in the finals.  I don't really care which of the guys make it. But I would like Katharine to go forward. I really really liked her "Over The Rainbow".  For Taylor I actually liked "Dancing In The Dark" (is that the name of the song?).

I'm surprised that Paula did not gush for Elliot as much as usual. I think if the judges had done last night (what they did for him last week) then he would probably have moved forward.  But I'm not so sure, especially with them praising Katharine's one song as the best of the season. Comments like that usually go far.

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 07:06:02 AM »

And re: them most likely renewing ONE TREE HILL and not EVERWOOD. I like EVERWOOD a lot. But I can understand why the network would want to keep TREE HILL.  It has a huge teen star (Chad Michael Murray).  And I guess the new network wants to have a shot at a younger fan base.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 07:09:35 AM »

Hmmm...another death to report...Frankie Thomas Jr. known to some as TOM CORBETT, SPACE CADET passed away...he also co-starred in those great Nancy Drew pictures in the 30s/40s.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 07:35:59 AM »

AMAZIN' RACE predictions, anyone?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say:

1st -- The Hippies
2nd -- Ray and Yolanda
3rd -- The Frat Boys
-- Anaïs Nin

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2006, 07:45:30 AM »

MBarnum, thanks for reporting on the fellow from Heatwave. An underrated band, and that guy's voice was one of the smoothest, gentlest in all of R&B. On "Always and Forever," it sounds like he's just sitting right on your shoulder singing.

Their greatest hits package has a lot of gems, but if their LP entitled "Central Heating" is available on CD, I definitely recommend it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up