Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHOW MUST GO ON  (Read 17725 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:THE SHOW MUST GO ON
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2006, 07:28:37 AM »

Glad to hear that things went better than expected BK!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2006, 07:35:19 AM »

Good morning!

It was bright and sunshiny when I went out to get the newspaper this morning, but three hours later, it's clouding up and we may have rain. Otherwise, a typical spring morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2006, 07:37:08 AM »

I'm not a big fan of cheesy sci-fi and horror, and I haven't seen many of the films already mentioned. But I would have to add my vote to the Joan Crawford epics like BERSERK which are so horribly bad, and she's trying so hard in them as if they were Academy-Award calibre stuff. Makes them even more hilariously awful.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2006, 07:38:32 AM »

Oh, headaches tonight with watching and scheduling TV finales: two hour '24' finale starting at 8. Two hour ALIAS finale starting at 9. One hour finales of MEDIUM and CSI: MIAMI, and two episodes of OLD CHRISTINE all squeezed into three prime time hours. Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2006, 07:39:27 AM »

And this afternoon I have last night's THE SOPRANOS to watch as well as the conclusion of THE BEST OF EVERYTHING.

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2006, 07:51:47 AM »

Cheesey you say? How about EARTH GIRLS ARE CHEESY...... oh, EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY.....not one of my favorites, but topical

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2006, 07:53:31 AM »

Well, I'm up. My first official work day off.  Think I'll go for a walk. I need the plumbers to fix the faucet that sends the water into the washer or I can't do laundry and they can't come until Wednesday....oh that's just too bad isn't it?

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 07:54:14 AM »

Congrats on having things go ok, BK

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 07:55:46 AM »

Continued vibes for TCB~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 08:10:03 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

The show is only scary when the actors don't open their scripts and then forget the lines.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2006, 08:17:19 AM »

I recorded "10.5 Apocalypse" last night while I watched "Desperate Housewives".  Very interesting developments on "DH"....as MattH indicated, it was a bit brutal...but I kinda liked it.

Cillaliz, if your watching the NBC disaster was for same reason I recorded it, then you wanted some escapist fare that offered some CGI effects to show what would happen to our continent if a major earthquake struck.

I changed channels during commercial breaks and saw lots of the same old tired cliches of "disaster epic filler" of stalled cars and folks trudging through rubble...and far more footage on that than on the actual disaster footage itself.  Still....so long as I have fast forward, I should be relatively entertained when I watch.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 08:23:15 AM »

Hiya, gang!

I loved the show!!! The whole audience seemed to feel the same as i did - and I don't think there was an empty seat in the gallery. Packed! I love that part!!!

So many wonderful things about the show and the performances. yes, the kid playing Zubrick is a real Star! Charismatic, totally-committed, has wonderful instincts and great timing, a very maleable face, wonderful physicality, he can even fa' chrissakes SING! My companion for the evening said over and over how much he admired that performance, and thought the kid can Be Somebody. i agree.

The girl playing the Mother has a really terrific voice, sings so well, it's one of those lovely limpid Broadway soprano type voices. her diction is flawless, so every lyric can be understood. She's so appealing onstage, and made all her transitions with skill. The Narrator has a lot of pizzazz and skill - perhaps is still coasting on his looks and talent, of which he has plenty.

The songs are so good, and for the most part were sung well - big torch number was delivered with real commitment and flair and pizzazz - by an actress whose limited voice and untrained singing didn't stop her from showing off some brilliant lyrics and a terrific tune.

So many wonderful laughs - some laughs went on and on. A few of the songs literally stopped the show.

AND - folks, I've done "staged" readings. With good directors and limited time and professional actors -- I never participated in a "reading" where virtually the entire show was staged, and choreographed, and even costumed better than most community theater mainstage offerings. I was led by this past week's post to expect the worst. Except for a couple of beginning actors just learning their craft, and one or two kids with reading deficiencies - who nevertheless did quite well - this reading represented the show and the songs well. I would produce it if I had a theater at my disposal.
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 08:24:57 AM »

About DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

spoiler--------------------

I enjoyed the flashbacks even though Jesse Metcalfe has definitely muscled up since his stint last season. It was great seeing him again and also Steven Culp as Rex. And the producers found a GREAT match to play Andrew as a young boy. Looked very much like Shawn Pryform as a younger boy.

But the thoughts of having to endure a season or more with that bitchy single mother gives me hives. I loathed her on sight and continued despising her throughout the show even though I applauded Lynette standing her ground.

Setting up Bree with another psycho: not my idea of entertainment.

I never liked the Applewhites, but I have to admit the backstory on the crime and the resolution of it last night were very satisfying. Nice way to get them off the show.

I had read that creator/writer/producer Marc Cherry admitted that the show was top heavy this season with talented actors and there just wasn't enough time to give them all their due, so they're cutting back on regular cast next season. I hope that doesn't mean Richard Burgi (Karl) gets written off the show (seemed that way last night). He's one of the reasons I continue to tune in.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2006, 08:26:14 AM »

Now, I must clean up in order to jooin best friend John for lunch today.

WBBL.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2006, 08:28:05 AM »

I forgot to say that Bruce did have some ringers in the cast - Tammy, for one... her performance - of course - was totally professional, and I think it helped the rest of the cast to have her energy in there. This is a swell part for her, and she's natural and adorable in it.
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2006, 08:31:29 AM »

My best thoughts, good wishes and hopes for complete quick recovery go out to TCB today!

Hang in there, Tom!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:34:32 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2006, 08:36:14 AM »

Ring them bells!

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2006, 08:37:58 AM »

Now this is my kind of TOD:

WILD WOMEN OF WONGO (1958)

VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT (1957; starring Ms. June Kenney)

EARTH VS THE SPIDER (1958; starring Ms. June Kenney)

BLOODLUST! (1961; starring Ms. June Kenney

I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF (1957)

BLOOD OF DRACULA (1958)

THE HYPNOTIC EYE (1960; starring Ms. Allison Hayes)

12 TO THE MOON (1960; starring Mr. Ken Clark and Ms. Michi Kobi)

Any number of Italian and Japanese horror/sci fi films from the 60s.

Any number of Hindu fantasy films from the 50s and 60s.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2006, 08:39:21 AM »

Nice to hear PennyO's comments.  I said to some people last night (jokingly) that most "staged" readings consist of actors standing up and going to microphones and then sitting down.  I, of course, don't understand that concept and just staged the show.  I am proud of all my students - my frustration with a couple of them stems from their inability to listen and take direction in even the most perfunctory way.  That's what irks me, not their talents.  I have no problem if someone is less than brilliant as long as they listen and do what's asked to the best of their ability.  But, when they don't, when they just go their own way and it hurts the show and their fellow performers, then I get annoyed with them - again, not because of talent, but because if you're in a theater academy you must learn to listen and have discipline - and it's not as if I haven't given the exact same notes over and over again.

Still, it's fun to hear and see the show on its feet, and I think the one thing that was clear is that it works in the way we intended.

Tammy and Lauren are both "ringers" in the sense that they've both done professional shows, but they also both attended the class and get full credit for it.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2006, 08:39:31 AM »

Oh! And Mr. Kimmel does INDEED look very svelte and youthful, having restored his boyish figure. I just saw him a couple of weeks ago... amazing transformation!

Bruce, I'm sorry you were so irked and angry all week. Even though they are students - which means they are still learning ALL aspects of the work - and NOT "university" students, either, bucko! - these are community college students - they did well last night. They wanted it to be good, you could tell they liked the material, and for the most part, they did the best they could. Which was pretty damn good, Bruce.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't teach them theater craft essentials - like punctuality and discipline and speak up and enunciate and show up, and learn your music and and and... but "talent" is subjective and some people DO read slowly and with difficulty - and most of these kids have no expectation that they will earn a living at this. I was charmed by them, and entertained by them, and won over by their efforts last night. All of them.
PennyO

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2006, 08:49:02 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~VIBES FOR DEAR TCB~~~~~~~~~[/move]

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2006, 08:50:31 AM »

I love your beautifully descriptive posts PennyO.  I feel like I'm there!

vixmom

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2006, 08:51:23 AM »

TOD: Wild Women of Wongo
         Mars Needs Women

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2006, 09:01:37 AM »

Loved hearing DR PENNYO's cogent comments!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2006, 09:04:30 AM »

Adding to my list:

THE UNDEAD, of course, another DRELMORE choice.

THE BEGINNING OF THE END - giant grasshoppers attack pictures of Chicago.

TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE - Poor guy just wanted to be loved.

And as for the aforementioned TROG - not only did it star Ms Joan Crawford, but also featured Mr John Hammill - physique model and actor extraordinaire!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2006, 09:04:39 AM »

Betsy and I enjoyed the "free trial" weekend of all the premium movie channels on DirectTV, so we got to watch The Sopranos (in HiDef, no less) and caught up on a bunch of movies we had missed, which brings me to:

The Pitfalls of Paying Attention to the Closing Credits Department:

The "Transportation Captain" of the Julianne Moore film The Forgotten was none other than Eugene O'Neill, evidently back from the dead and shlepping stars.  I kid you not.

Vibes to TCB~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2006, 09:04:49 AM »

Thinking of DR TCB today...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2006, 09:06:41 AM »

The "Transportation Captain" of the Julianne Moore film The Forgotten was none other than Eugene O'Neill, evidently back from the dead and shlepping stars.  I kid you not.

Vibes to TCB~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glad to hear Gene is getting some work since that play writing thing didn't work out.  ;D

And even though it's not SCI FI - I will add Frances' THE PARTY CRASHERS to the my TOD list.  8)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2006, 09:07:09 AM »

~~~Vibes to Dear Reader TCB!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2006, 09:07:43 AM »

About DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

spoiler--------------------

I enjoyed the flashbacks even though Jesse Metcalfe has definitely muscled up since his stint last season. It was great seeing him again and also Steven Culp as Rex. And the producers found a GREAT match to play Andrew as a young boy. Looked very much like Shawn Pryform as a younger boy.

But the thoughts of having to endure a season or more with that bitchy single mother gives me hives. I loathed her on sight and continued despising her throughout the show even though I applauded Lynette standing her ground.

Setting up Bree with another psycho: not my idea of entertainment.

I never liked the Applewhites, but I have to admit the backstory on the crime and the resolution of it last night were very satisfying. Nice way to get them off the show.

I had read that creator/writer/producer Marc Cherry admitted that the show was top heavy this season with talented actors and there just wasn't enough time to give them all their due, so they're cutting back on regular cast next season. I hope that doesn't mean Richard Burgi (Karl) gets written off the show (seemed that way last night). He's one of the reasons I continue to tune in.

And did you notice that Edie was nowhere to be seen??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up