Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ME DAY  (Read 20347 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE ME DAY
« on: December 08, 2003, 12:04:08 AM »

Now that you've read the notes you know what the hell today is all about.  So, post away, you dear dear people, and I'll join you from work.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 12:05:10 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE ME DAY
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 12:30:18 AM »

Oh no! I can't be first on such an auspicious day! It's too huge a responsibilty. Oh, well - here goes - simple is best...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR BK! (A mere child next to Paul Newman - and much cuter.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 12:34:25 AM by Panni »

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 12:31:49 AM »

Happy Birthday BK. An inspiration for so much:
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 12:38:05 AM »

Happy BK Day!!!

How did I first discover the one and only (well, maybe not only, but the only one we give a flying what is it fish about) Bruce Kimmel?  It was through the One From Real A column at sondheim.com, which I came across probably in the fall of 1998.  I later found the Real A's unmistakable writing style at some site which I wouldn't dream of going near now, and finally had a name to go with the man.

Later discovered that I'd had a BK album or two for years and never realized it.  My first BK CD was the Merrily We Roll Along revival, which also happened to be my first Sondheim CD, which led to my Sondheim obsession, which led to my finding sondheim.com, which led to the Real A, which led to... well, we all see what a vicious cycle this could become!

May you have the happiest of birthdays, BK.

To celebrate, I'm currently listening to Lost in Boston III, one of my favorites of my BK CD's.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 12:48:29 AM »

As I'm hearing it right now, I'm reminded just how much I love "Pink Taffeta Sample, Size 10."  One of my absolute favorite individual tracks on any BK album.  Other faves would have to include Karen Morrow doing the Ballroom tracks on Lost in Boston IV.

So what are the favorite individual tracks from BK albums of other Kimlets?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 12:49:23 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 01:38:56 AM »

Paul Newman favourites: "Nobody's Fool", "The Sting" and "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid". My love for the music and lyrics of Mr Sondheim led me along the same route as DR Jed.
My favourite CD track produced by Mr BK is the Marin Mazzie contribution to the Stephen Schwartz album.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 03:30:55 AM »

Good Morning and Happyest of Birthdays to you, BK!  

I'm in rush--gotta catch the bus.  Back to the salt mines for me!

Will post and party and party and post when I get home tonight!

Have a happy, warm and safe day, posters and lurkers.  It's 41 degrees in the sunshine state at 6:28 AM!  I'm moving someplace warm--like Florida next year!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 03:41:01 AM »

It is 3:30 am...the paper is almost done, wow am I tired.  Only three more days of this...just keep having to remind myself.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY ESTEEMED AND BELOVED BK[/move]

I was first introduced to BK and the HHW world by DR Jed, as I'm pretty sure I've said before.  I also got the wonderful opportunity to meet bk in person when I traveled down to LA last spring.  I got to see, in person, the famed casa de Bruce...and all the lovely pictures he's shown us on the site.  His DVD collection is even more staggering in person, as is the CD collection.  And don't even get me started about the size of the TV screen...
At any rate, we had the loveliest of lovely visits, and he showed me many things on his large TV screen that I still remember with amazement...

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 04:15:42 AM »

Happy Birthday, Dear BK!

I noticed one day that most of my favorite CDs that got replayed over and over were produced by the very same guy.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Emily

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003, 04:21:27 AM »

Happy Birthday BK!

(I thought everyday was YOU day! jk :) )

When did I first realise your existence?  When I chanced upon the Broadway Radio Show and Jennifer and Ron's American Idol chat last summer.  At the time I had no idea who the heck Guy Haines was or why someone named Bruce Kimmel had a daily journal on Haines' site.  I still don't fully ;)

Also, and shamefully, I don't think I have listened to any of the cds you have produced yet (although I did get to hear JEEPERS CREEPERS over the BRS and enjoyed it thoroughly).  I will get Benjamin Kritzer for Christmas.  That I promise!

Have cake, relax and may all your days be poutine-filled :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Michael

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003, 04:33:35 AM »

EVERYONE DANCE!!!!

My Favorite Paul Newman film:
Only beause he looked soooo cute wearing a skirt

« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 04:34:09 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2003, 04:39:46 AM »

As a special birthday gift to all the wonderful readers out there in the dark why not go over to

http://htmlgear.tripod.com/guest/control.guest?u=brucekimmel&i=1&a=sign

and sign the guest book at the bruce kimmel tribute site.

As for favorite single track way too hard. Bruce has produced over 125 albums and thousands of tracks and that's not counting the cretaive consultamt, concept by and executive produced by albums.

Over the next few months I will be updating and giving the site a fresh look.
Never stop dreaming.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2003, 06:16:54 AM »

Happy Birthday BK.  Your Sour Rude Dudes are on the way.

I first became aware of you with "First Nudie Musical" which is still one of my all time favorite films.

Paul Newman?  Anything except that awful revisal of OUR TOWN last year.

A very busy day at work so I may not be able to check in as much as normal (some of you are undoubtably shouting "hurray").
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2003, 06:27:38 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday to Bruce... I hope he gets everything he always wanted (that's legal) and has a T-rific day...

Ben

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2003, 06:32:22 AM »

Happy Day to the one and only

[size=12]BK[/size].

Well, well, well and My, my, my (3 of each). I actually read all the notes for yesterday! At this point, since I'm not at work, it's a major coup. I am also caught up on today's notes but I am about to leave for the day. I will be packing gift bags w/Broadway Cares and then I'm off to see the Gypsy of the Year Competition where the Broadway community awards the Gypsy Robe and announces how much money the various shows have raised for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. Will fill you in on my return.

I found this site because I was searching for Broadway show music. I found the "other site" first and they had Donald's old shows archived. When I ran out of them, I found more right here. That was in early 2002 and I've been here ever since, trying to post at least once every day but not succeeding.

Again, Happy Happy Day to the 8th Wonder of the World on this 8th Day of this 12th month, Mr. Bruce Kimmel.

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2003, 06:34:14 AM »

I just finished reading Saturday's posts and haven't even hit Sunday's yet (although why  I should hit them when they've done nothing to me is a mystery).

You know Bruce that we already wish you the happiest of days.

I was just telling someone about Bruce last night as he (the other person-- not Bruce)  was telling me that so many of his favorite CD's were from Varese Sarabande.  This started out because he actually knew who I was talking about when I mentioned Jason Graae and Liz Callaway.  Thank God-- another person who speaks the same language!
I like boat races.

Diane

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2003, 06:36:44 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday BK!!  ;D

I first became aware of you and this site through my wonderful friends DR's Joy and Noel.

Fav Paul Newman Film? Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
I LOVE A Piano....

steveg

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2003, 06:52:39 AM »

Happy Birthday, Bruce.

My favorite Paul Newman movies would also be "The Sting" and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."  Although not a great movie and not a great adaption of the book, I also liked "Exodus".

I first became aware of you when you posted as the Real A on the Sondheim site, but of course did know who you really were there.  Not until after the reveal in the last column did I know who the Real A was.  For some reason I was never aware that you were posting "on that other site" so I didn't catch up with you again until you started this site, which I have been reading since its first day of inception.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2003, 07:16:07 AM »

A very happy birthday to you BK! I hope that on your happiest of days that Mr. Guy Haines will treat you to dinner..it is the least he could do for all the work you put into keeping HHW going!

I would think that I first became aware of Bruce Kimmel way back in the days of old when watching Laverne and Shirley, Partridge Family, and other assorted 1970s TV programs in which BK guest starred on. Only at that time I didn't know who BK was. I was just a child after all.

Favorite Paul Newman movie...I guess I don't have one. I have probably only seen one or two of his films. It isn't that I don't like the man, but few of his films appeal to me I guess...of course that might change if I were to actually watch some of them!

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2003, 07:17:45 AM »

Oh.. as for Paul Newman films I admire...

The Hustler
Cool Hand Luke
Butch Cassidy...
The Sting
Slap Shot
The Verdict

I also admire Paul Newman's Spaghetti Sauces and Popcorn... it's all about the foodstuff!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2003, 07:53:03 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A Very Merry BK Birthday to You![/move]

While waiting for ANGELS IN AMERICA to come on last night, I popped in ALICE IN WONDERLAND, and enjoyed that beautiful film with its very catchy and lovely score including "A Very Merry Unbirthday to You" which the above title should be sung to the tune of.

I first saw BK's name in print during the old Bay Cities days when these wonderful Broadway cast reissues of CHICAGO and FORUM on CD were being done so beautifully, and I kind of followed his career from there picking up tidbits along the way. However, between the occurrences of that place that will go nameless and coming to HHW, there was a year or so that I lost track of bk's activities. Just stumbled on someone who knew about this site and sent me here, and I've been a happy clam ever since.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2003, 07:56:14 AM »

Forgot about Paul Newman stuff. THE STING tops the list (please, Universal, won't you remaster and anamorphically enhance a special edition DVD of your 1973 Best Picture Oscar winner?) I also like HUD, COOL HAND LUKE, and THE VERDICT very much. And I've come to admire BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS over the last few years, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2003, 07:58:46 AM »

Hoping to get some good vibes from you folks as I go in tonight to audition for SHE LOVES ME. I don't hold out great hope for landing a role as I've never had much success with this particular director, but we'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.

Emily

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2003, 08:08:21 AM »

Am the only person who really liked Paul Newman (and everyone else too) in Road to Perdition?
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2003, 08:09:08 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=12]Happy Birthday, Bruce![/size][/move][/b]

Emily

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2003, 08:11:19 AM »

has anyone ever sat in the rear mezzanine of the Gershwin Theatre?

There are WICKED tickets available in this section for the matinee on the 31st for $40 USD+$6 USD service charge (or $59 CDN) which am severely tempted to take...

The only problem is that I have the Gershwin is HUGE.  Will the actors become specks from such a distance? :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2003, 08:17:10 AM »

Good morning - already at work, editing away.  Thank you for all your lovely wishes.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2003, 08:25:52 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR BK!!!

May all your wishes be fulfilled.

My first brush with anything Kimmel was The First Nudie Musical, but, of course, I didn’t realize his contribution at the time.  My second brush with all-things Kimmel was when friends started talking about Lost in Boston CDs.  But it wasn’t until I stumbled upon this site that I began to appreciate the wit and wisdom of the man himself.

Favorite Paul Newman film:  That is an easy one for me -- Cat On a Hot Tin Roof.  Newman and Taylor are fantastic in the film.  And even as a young kid, the implied homosexuality of Brick was fascinating to me, especially when played by a superstar such as Paul Newman.  
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2003, 08:33:07 AM »

has anyone ever sat in the rear mezzanine of the Gershwin Theatre?

There are WICKED tickets available in this section for the matinee on the 31st for $40 USD+$6 USD service charge (or $59 CDN) which am severely tempted to take...

The only problem is that I have the Gershwin is HUGE.  Will the actors become specks from such a distance? :(

Yes, I have sat in the rear mezzanine of the Gershwin and Yes, the theater is huge.  Do you have opera glasses or binoculars?  Either would certainly help.  It is certainly not as bad as seeing a concert in a large arena, but, of course, you usually get a big screen TV for a concert.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2003, 08:36:41 AM »

BK-

May all your days be blessed.

Happy Birthday......and for all the very unhappy birthdays(Alice in Wonderland reference) the rest of the year.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up