Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HORRIFYING CASE OF THE LOST AND/OR STOLEN WALLET BY ERLE STANLEY GARDNER  (Read 20072 times)

FJL

JRand - I really am glad to have the picture and thanks for cropping it for me.  I appreciate it, and will likely be able to use it for other purposes.  

(I actually like the picture where vixmom is covering up about half of my chins; I think I'll try to walk around with people in front of me like that.)

I'm still going to wait until I can follow the HHW tradition of putting up a picture from many years ago as an avatar.   'Cause THAT's how young I feel!  (Except for middle aged physical joint ailments, of course  :)  )  

FJL

And one for Maalox!

Ginny

Have a pleasant workday, DR JRand!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

Who is Sheldon and why has he got the Chevy?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?

And who enjoys a hot dog with sand and mustard??  Rather grainy, one would think

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?

Thanks for the vibes and xylophones so far - more, please.  Don't have to check the street or the walkway to the house, because I never got out of the car when I pulled up in front of the house.  I opened the glove compartment (I always double check that I've put it back there because of my senility) and it wasn't there.  After doing a cursory check of the car I drove right back to the store.  One of the people there did look through the trash can near the front of the store and found nothing.  I may go back and look in the big industrial trash can near the parking lot where I'd parked.

FJL

Did anyone else watch Merv Griffin being profiled on CBS's SUNDAY MORNING show this morning?  He looks well, especially for 80 years old.  Amazing how slimming a billion or so dollars can be.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench

Good Morning!

Well, it looks like it's a nice day outside right now, and I hope to get out into that nice day sometime soon, but until then...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

Feel free to call off the search for the second part of the notes and concentrate on the Wallet. Part two has returned to Oz.  It's is1.24am here - I've remembered to hick the cleels of my sluby rippers.
There's no hace like plome.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?

DR elmore - DF James found you and DR Ben quite charming too.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

Goodnight all.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser

Continuing vibes on the wallet situation.

Travelling as much as I have done, I've learned a few things about keeping my wallet safe.  I always wear in my front pants pocket these days...too bad if it ruins the line of my trousers...or a interior coat pocket that zips or locks.  Never carry your social security card.  Never carry all your credit cards.  When Julieanne and I travel to London., we always make sure that each of us has on them at least one credit card the other one doesn't carry.  That way if, god forbid, one of us is a victim of thieves or a pickpocket, we still have a working card.  Never put a house key in your wallet or keep any personal info (beyond the address on your license) that can be used against you...like access codes or pin numbers to ATM cards and the like.

When I got to Kentucky, I needed a  new social security card to change my drivers' license.  I hadn't carried it in my wallet for years for fear of identity theft and because I had it memorized and rarely, if ever, gave it out (never over the phone!).  But when I couldn't find it where I thought I had put it, I realized I had a vague memory of tearing it up several years back, thinking: "I know the number, what do I need the card for?"  Well, I found out and, no, you shouldn't destroy them (nor laminate them...this invalidates them).  But I was issued a new one here (same number, of course) and it is now tucked in a safe and secure place...but never in my wallet.  When I moved, I spent hours shredding all sorts of papers...old bank forms and statements and other things where one's ss# used to be prominently displayed.  It was amazing what they used to put it on.  Thankfully, most institutions have gotten much wiser.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?

As for wallets being stolen...  Well, I've never had a wallet stolen, but I did have my day-bag/briefcase stolen one time from my car...  Which happened to have some of my bank information in at the time, so...  Calling all those numbers was not fun...  -And it was after that incident that I went ahead and took advantage of the credit card registry program that my bank offers (for free) - so, if anything like that should happen again, I just have to call one number and they take care of the rest.  -Of course, I'd probably still end up calling each company individually just to be safe.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?

DR elmore - DF James found you and DR Ben quite charming too.

:)

Well, DRBen certainly is charming!  "Charming" is a word like 'pretty" or "gracious" which I've never felt applied to me much: caustic, vicious, mean, evil come to mind first.  But thank you.  And him.

On another note, I sent Eileen Heckart's son a note thanking him for his wonderful (has anyone ordered a copy yet?) book, and he just emailed me to say he's doing his media show about his mother at Don't Tell Mama on Wednesdays, June 28 and July 5, at 8:30.  Anyone want to come with me?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 09:27:07 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?

Definitely not in the car - I've been through the car in every possible way and it just isn't there.  Went back to the parking lot, looked through trash, etc. - not there.  Only hope now is the store, or that someone returns it.  Interestingly, the address on the license (the only place my address appears in the wallet) is my old Studio City address - if they actually remove the license they'll find the little replacement card with the new address, but if it's an honest person just trying to return it, they could conceivably return it there - those folks know where I live and it's only two blocks from here.  If they try to mail it there, it won't get forwarded - it will just sit at the post office, so tomorrow I'm going to write the post office a note telling them that, and telling them that if anyone puts a change of address in for my current address, to call me immediately and flag the new address for the cops.  That's what nefarious people do - try to change address for new credit cards to be sent to.  The police report, which I now have, has instructions for reporting to all kinds of agencies, and I'm just going to write those letters tomorrow if nothing has happened, just for safety's sake.  I'll also call the social security office and the DMV - the DMV in certain cases will issue you a new license number.  Even though I'll get new ATMs with new passwords, I also may get new checking account numbers, too, although I'd think it would be difficult to access that sort of thing, since the only thing they'd know is my bank (from the ATMs) and my social and address, but no passwords or my mother's maiden name.  I suppose they could find out my mother's maiden name somehow, so I'm going to password protect all those accounts today.

Ginny

Continued vibes for BK - sounds like such a hassle.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

So sorry to hear about the wallet!

In the same vein as Pogue, I haven't carried my Social Security card for years (I just typed SS card and thought, no, I don't think so and spelled it out). I also carry my wallet on my person. I used to carry it in my back pocket, like most Midwestern men but when I moved to New York it moved to the front pocket or an inside coat pocket if it's Winter and I've never looked back. It also makes sitting easier. I don't know why people put their wallets in their back pockets anyway. Doesn't make sense to me. I've never lost my wallet but as BK says it's a major worry especially with identity theft issues.

Ben

I had a great New York day yesterday. I told you about the matinee of History Boys. What a great afternoon in the theatre. I was going to come home and relax but I saw Mr. Moore on this here board talking about seeing Stage Door Manor with Jose and James and decided to worm my way into their little outing. I called Mr. Moore and he agreed to my intrusion. Jose and Larry were meeting at 6pm and it was already 5:45 so I moved my little butt from 16th Street to 82nd Street in just a half hour (when the subway works it works). We had a very nice dinner, much dirt was dished and then we headed downtown to the Film Forum. Stage Door Manor is like Camp but for real. It was fun and brought back memories of being the Theatre Geek at school. As I said to Mr. Moore when we were leaving, "there were no Stage Door Manors in Coon Rapids Minnesota!" It was a pleasant evening. The rain had stopped. So I walked home from Film Forum. I did a little bit of work on the CD, coming up with a label design and a picture for the CD tray insert. I'll let Anthony do the final work since I usually come up with a design and he does the rest of the work.

I just got off the phone with my sister. She's in Minneapolis. We talked for about 90 minutes. My brother-in-law works at a golf course on Sunday mornings so he was gone. We had a nice long talk and figured out all the problems for everyone else in our family. Now if they would just listen to us their lives would be practically perfect  ;D

Ben

And now I must get outdoors. It's not great weather but it's not raining so that's something.

Later, gaters.

FJL

Larry - But you are charming, you just can't help it.

Anyway, not that it applies to you generally, to paraphrase Sondheim in "Welcome to Kanagawa," even caustic has its charms.  At least some of us have to pray that's true sometimes.  :)

FJL

Does post #2350 count as a milestone?  Probably not, but that's where I'M at.

FJL

What's the famous saying?  I never repeat vicious gossip, so listen carefully the first time.

But I do repeat famous sayings, though.  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?

back from the extra-long jog, which felt really good.  I'll be trudging over to the store where I presumably left my wallet about eleven thirty.  If there's no new news, I'll call the bank and have them issue new cards.  Can't hurt, anyway.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?

I did speak to the bank already, and they made me feel pretty comfortable that no one would be able to access any info from them, as they don't even ask for the social - they ask how many accounts and mother's maiden name, and later, I'm going to ask that they add a secret password question to the account.

FJL

Anybody else seeing the staged reading of WIT tonight, starring the original off-Broadway cast?  (Dear Friend Ronnik and I will be in D21-22, if anyone else from here will be there.)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff

Yo, folks!

Raining here - so what else is new??? I'm so sorry about Bruce's wallet - it may be jes' one o' those things... but it does remind us - those of us whose creeping senility puts us at risk - to double check everything, all the time, since we can't be trusted to remember, minute to minute. Oy. Nightmare. Sorry, Bruce. Nightmare.

I went to an open mike poetry reading last night, in Woodinville WA - nice to mingle with other writers, hear their new stuff, or old stuff. A nice, low-key social evening. Held at a bookstore/coffee house - in rummaging through the stacks, I found a nice book, a copy of which I had bought for a friend when her father died years ago. I always meant to read it, myself - so last night I bought a used copy. It's Robert Fulgham's From Beginning to End - the Rituals of our Lives.

During a lull in the festivities, I started reading it, and just had to have it. Now I have a fine read for a rainy day!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff

uh - Fulghum - not Fulgham... I was unconsciously reacting to what I know of the derivation of his name - Folle Jamb - CrazyLegs...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff

Elmore! howz yer fine seff today, boy?
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff

My heart is with you, honeyboy. Tough times.
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?

Elmore! howz yer fine seff today, boy?

I'm fine, DR PennyO!  Working on SORRY WRONG NUMBER, which would be a lovely little operatic showpiece for you and several other singers.  Going to call my dad in a bit and check on him.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up