Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HORRIFYING CASE OF THE LOST AND/OR STOLEN WALLET BY ERLE STANLEY GARDNER  (Read 20081 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?

Well, you've read the notes, you know about the lost and/or stolen wallet, you are properly horrified, and now it is time for you to post until the lost and/or stolen cows come home.  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 12:11:22 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?

And the word of the day is: HARRUMPH!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?

Welcome seven GUESTS.  How about some excellent vibes and xylophones for a miracle of miracles?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.

~~~Good News About BK's Wallet Vibes!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

And just for good measure:

~~~Good News About BK's Wallet Xylophones!!~~~

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

A few years ago, my parents were going to spend a month in Germany visiting my mom's family.  Three days before they left, my mom's purse was stolen!  They had to cancel her credit cards and get new ones, call her bank (she didn't have a debit card), fill out a police report...all that crap just a few days before they left the country!!  Before they left, the thief wrote a couple of checks, but fortunately, not too many and my mom was only out $50 and the bank covered the rest.  Not a good thing to happen just before leaving on vacation. :-\

Not to lessen your loss at all, but at least you're not about to leave the country for a month.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 01:54:04 AM by George »

Tomovoz

I am unable to access the second part of the notes today.  

Perhaps it has gone the way of BK's wallet and it too will be found and returned safely.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?

No problem for me with part two of the notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?

The only problem I'm having is trying to sleep - I'm way too agitated about way too many things.

Tomovoz

Still can't access them.  I'll investigate in the morning!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall

Part Two of the notes was fine for me, DR TOMovOZ....and thanks for the info about Ms. Clark's "Love This Is My Song" - I always thought it was a lovely tune, and she did a bang up job with it.

I hope MR BK looked in the driveway and yard good for his missing wally.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.

Working today - with my sister who returned at last yesterday!  Hurray!

THE SOUND OF MUSIC was very good last night.  The audience was having a great time, and the cast is so pleased....as is Mr Ernie Ford (not THAT Ernie Ford), the director.

The 5 pm ticket seller never showed up, so when I arrived around 5:30 (due at 7 pm, I went early) - Miss Linda who had come to deliver the money box was still there.  I sent her on her way and took over.

Ring ring ring:  "Do you have any tickets for the show tonight?"

Me: "No, I am sorry.  The entire run of The Sound of Music is sold out.  There are no tickets available for any performance."

Voice: (after a pause) Oh.  Well how about next week?"

Me:  (thinking #*&$(#&)  No, I am sorry.  You might call the box office next week and ask if there are any cancellations.

Voice:  Oh.  Okay.  What night will you have cancellations?

Me:  I don't know.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.

td!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer

BK, hopefully you will have news about your wallet very soon.

It's sort of crazy that we put every important card in one place. Makes it easy to keep track of, but horrible when the wallet/purse it lost.

I have never lost a wallet or had a purse stolen. But one time probably a year ago, I went to use my credit card and it was not there.  Luckily the department store where I was making the purchase was in the same building as my bank. And luckily (actually a miracle) the bank was open.

They were easily able to find out where i'd made my last puchase (the day before).  ANd when i called the store, the card was in their vault.  I wanted to yell at them. I mean 1) why do some of these cashiers hold onto your card for so long,a nd 2) if they had found the card why didn't they try to contact me or at least VISA.  I found that sort of annoying that they merely put it in their vault.  But I guess they figure it's up to the customer to find where they left i!

Btw, it only takes once for such a thing to happen, and then of course you never let any cashier not give you back your card again!

More good returned wallet vibes to BK. ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Btw, perhaps you should go back to look around the outside of the store (maybe see if there are any open garbage bins where the thief would have put it).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 05:50:05 AM by Jennifer »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.

After the performance, I was walking around with my broom (my night to clean, doncha know) - and a lady from the audience was talking to Caroline (Elsa) and said:  "Oh I loved your jewelry.  It was so authentic....I remember my mother having a brooch just like that....it's beautiful."  And Caroline said: "Oh, thanks.  Well Jack found it all." And pointed me out.

So....our jewelry was a success.  If one person said it....probably MANy people thought it, I have found....good AND bad!

FJL

JRand - I hate to be contrary (which means I'm about to be contrary  :)  ), but audiences have come to expect that "sold out" almost never really means sold out if they press hard enough, or go day by day online, or really force the box office person to look at individual dates.  In many cases, the powers-that-be have declared they technically are sold out, but of course have seats on reserve for donors, cast members, emergencies, etc.  But even beyond that, "sold out" simply doesn't mean what it says these days.

Of course, I know your show IS completely sold out, but I'm just letting you know that audiences simply don't believe it these days because except in the most unusual cases, it's simply not true.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 06:12:56 AM by FJL »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?

Good morning, all!  Yes, indeedy, a lovely time was held by DRs Ben and Jose, Jose's charming friend James, and myself last evening!  STAGEDOOR was a very sweet and moving trbute to the showbiz bug, but I wish we'd had maybe 90 minutes instead of 79, just to fill in some of the questions I had.  

After that, I returned home and finished the Eileen Heckart bio.  What a beautiful book!  Any faults I could find would center on the book's assemblage, such as several printing errors that a proofing should have caught.  The final chapters dealing with his father's death from geart attack and Miss Heckart's from cancer were intensely moving for me.  I recommend this memoir highly.

Dear Friend BK, I had my pocket picked three tmes in the past 25 years in Manhattan - once in a crowded coffee shop and twice on the subway during rush hour - so I know the inconvenience, frustration and rage you're going through.  Anything I can say is cold comfort, so I'll only wish your wallet mysteriously turns up in the mail, as my last one did.  I believe the thieves took the $2.00 and credit cards, then tossed the wallet in a mailbox.  Why they couldn't have kept the drivers license with the shitty photo I'll never know.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

Sunday morning greetings!

BK, I'm so sorry about your wallet misfortune.  Other DRs have offered all the advice I can think of, except:  If you had a library card, remember to notify the issuing agency.

My full day yesterday of information waitressing wasn't nearly as taxing as I'd anticipated.  I even admitteed to my co-workers that, after 3 days of being "behind the scenes," working with the public for a day was a nice diversion.  I think this 80/20% distribution of my work time will be quite satisfactory.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

Losing a wallet is always a bitch. But if it was lifted and someone tried to use it, the block on the cards will be a useful way of finding the Moriarty of THE HORRIFYING CASE OF THE LOST AND/OR STOLEN WALLET BY ERLE STANLEY GARDNER
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

After that, I returned home and finished the Eileen Heckart bio.  What a beautiful book!  Any faults I could find would center on the book's assemblage, such as several printing errors that a proofing should have caught.  The final chapters dealing with his father's death from geart attack and Miss Heckart's from cancer were intensely moving for me.  I recommend this memoir highly.

And maybe DR Elmoore should have a proof reader for his postings
A geart attack??? :) ;) :D ;D :o ::) :P :-\
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?

And maybe DR Elmoore should have a proof reader for his postings
A geart attack??? :) ;) :D ;D :o ::) :P :-\

Practically perfect people never proof.  Ask DRvixmom!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim

Good morning!

Another very cool morning (which should continue for the next several days even though the days are going to be warm.) But it's gorgeous out and I'll no doubt spend a little time on the porch reading. Otherwise, I have a day of inside-chores to do (laundry, bathroom cleaning, etc.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

I lost my wallet once in my life; it worked its way out of my back pocket and onto the floor while I was at the movies. I got in my car, out on the street, and then relaized there was no lump in my back pocket, so I got back to the theater as quickly as I could. They were still cleaning the theater but as I sat on the third row from the back, they hadn't gotten there yet, and there was my wallet on the floor. I was VERY relieved.

So, I know some of the dread and misery you're feeling, bk, and I'm so sorry for it. Here's hoping good things transpire with it in the next couple of days. Maybe someone will just put it in a mailbox, and it will work its way back to you.

Matt H.

It certainly makes my realization that I didn't have the DVD of 101 DALMATIANS seem puny by comparison!  :)

Matt H.

As I mentioned last night, I have the DVD of DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE cued up ready to go this afternoon. I'm thinking I'll also watch the Van Johnson TV-musical THE PIED PIPER OF HAMELIN.

Other than the season finale of THE SOPRANOS tonight (and maybe the COLD CASE rerun though the description in the cable guide sounded very familiar), I will probably be watching video rather than network TV tonight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.

That is true, DR FJL...that is true.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.

COMCAST is having some issues this morning....not the most convenient thing to happen just before leaving for work.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.

DR FJL I was thinking we would see that smiling avatar by now! :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.

Off to work....at the beautiful World of Wisdom.....or as I like to call it....Chock Full 'O Nuts.  

Matt H.

I'm heading down now to get a jump start on some reading I want to do before the air warms up.

WBBL.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up